PDA

View Full Version : KnitPicks

jamiejeans
09-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Are there any KnitPicks yarn you would not recommend? Why?

Jan in CA
09-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Wool of the Andes (WOTA) is great for felting, but it pills like crazy when used for clothing. Other than that I haven't knit enough with the other yarns yet.
Pilling thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pilling&start=0)

Calamintha
09-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't like their lace yarns. Shimmer is nice from a fiber point of view but the colors are too bright and clash with lace patterns. Shadow is supposed to be a merino but it feels coarse to me. Alpaca Cloud is the best of the bunch but on the whole I would recommend other lace yarns from other companies for people who want to try lace knitting.

Their Simple Stripes sock yarn has nice patterning but I found the yarn itself to be not very tightly spun and I have concerns about the socks wearing out prematurely. I also found that to be the case with their other sock yarn Dancing that I used.

nadja la claire
09-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Andian Silk, it's sooooo soft and Panache, which by the way is on sale for the Holidays.

Nadja xxx

:oops: I didn't see the word not in your question. :oops: :teehee:

cheesiesmom
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I used shine worsted (doubled) for a bath mitt pattern that they featured recently. Although it's nice, I'm not sure that I like it for that purpose. I liked the sock yarns (most of which have been discontinued). The lace weights were really fine, but I don't think it's a problem that is solely with Knitpicks, just laceweight.

Calamintha
10-01-2006, 09:42 PM
For anyone who wants to try a really nice laceweight yarn try some Jaggerspun Zephyr, 50% merino wool/50% tussah silk. You will really see a difference in both the hand and how nice the finished product looks compared to the Knitpicks lace yarns. And the Zephyr is only a little bit more expensive too.

I have been knitting lace for about 10 years and have used a lot of laceweight yarns, most of which are nicer than the ones from Knitpicks. Unfortunately a lot of people wind up trying the Knitpicks lace yarns as their first laceweight and have no idea how much nicer other laceweight yarns are.

Jouf
10-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Calamintha, it looks like one 2 oz ball of that Jagger... is enough to do a triangular lace shawl??? Is that right? If so, it's only $11! I've been debating and debating on what to order for my next one.

Calamintha
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
2 oz. of Zephyr is 630 yards. That is enough to do some triangle shawls. Did you have a particular pattern in mind? If not then you could just start from the tip and keep knitting until you run out of yarn. You can get 2 oz. of Zephyr from theknitter.com for only $8. You can get handpainted versions from furryarns.com. I know you will love working with it. It is a real pleasure and looks beautiful after it's blocked.

Jouf
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Calamintha - dang. I'm sooo impatient. I already ordered. It was $11 per 2 oz. I only got 2 oz ea for each shawl. I'll try this and if I like it, I'll get more at YOUR price! Thanks!

P.S. I just went to that site - unbelievable! AND free shipping! I paid $25 for two with shipping.