PDA

View Full Version : another newbie spinning question

Mienna
09-30-2006, 07:27 PM
ok... this might be REALLY obvious, but how do you keep your fiber from unspinning(is that a word... maybe untwisting?)? Like when you've finshed a skein, or something along those lines.

Thanks,
Holly

Julie
09-30-2006, 08:44 PM
After you've wound it into a skein you need to set the twist by giving it a warm bath. If you're plying (twisting two singles together in the opposite direction that you spun the singles...highly recommended) then you set the twist after you've plied. Tie the skein in several places to avoid tangling, then soak in warm water with a bit of Eucalan for about 30 minutes, then hang it to dry.

Mienna
09-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks! I wonder if they have Eucalan at AC Moore.

Silver
10-05-2006, 07:07 AM
You don't *have* to set the twist. Some fibers hold their shape better than others, and sometimes it's better if you don't block the yarn. Over time, the fibers will just stay twisted. :)

Mienna
10-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, I went online to find something to set the twist with and ended up buying some cotton, a spindle, a bowl, and some cotton seeds... and I forgot the Eucalan, :oops: so I had to call 'em up and have them add it to my order. But they were very nice, hehehe.

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
brave woman, I haven't even experimented with cotton! That's a short fiber to spin!

photogirl72
10-29-2006, 12:44 PM
So where'd you find cotton seed? I've never seen it for sale anywhere. I might like to try growing some. But, I'm kinda oddthat way. LOL!

Mienna
10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
I found it HERE (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/index.html). I got a beginners kit and some uncleaned cotton, just so I could see how difficult it'd be to clean before I tried growing any, hehe.

photogirl72
10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
ooooh, thank you!!!! I can't wait to try it myself now. LOL!