PDA

View Full Version : Tangled yarn - NO MORE!

want2knit
10-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Whilst rolling a center pull ball from a hank, I ended up with a mess of tangled yarn. I just want to knit, instead I've spent a good 1 1/2 hrs rolling and trying to detangle. Anyone have any solutions? Do I cut the yarn and go from there? I'm ready to and just start knitting with what I have, then go back to the mess when I have more patience! Ugh!

rebecca
10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear that happened, will it help to hear that it has happened to all of us at one time or another?!
Goodness, I don't know what to tell you to do, it's a matter of preference. For me, when it has happened, if it was nice yarn I untangled, the other time it happened was with cheap yarn and I just threw it away. All depends on how much you want this yarn, I would think. Sorry I don't have a definite answer.

janelanespaintbrush
10-02-2006, 12:05 AM
This happened to me with some opal sock yarn that I had dyed, and after spending many, many hours trying to untangle it, I just got fed up and hid it away in a dark corner of my stash. (It was something like 400+ yards of fingering weight yarn, and I had only gotten through about half before I just could not look at it anymore.) Maybe one day it'll come out again, but probably not anytime soon.

While I was detangling, I did start to wonder whether hair conditioner would help. I could see it maybe loosening knots, but I'm not sure about larger tangles, since it's not like you can comb it out like human hair. Who knows, though. I never would have thought it would make wool softer, and apparently it does. It sounded like a crazy idea at the time, so I didn't try it. I just mentioned it in case you're more adventurous than I am. :teehee:

want2knit
10-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I got it, ladies! Spent last night after dinner and while watching DH and B&S and got it all untangled--it was my only hank, and the last one when I bought it, but it is going to match my jacket great, so I didn't want to waste any of it! Now onto the scarf! I was just too tired last night to knit anything after dealing with that all night. Thanks for your advice anyway.

janelanespaintbrush
10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
:cheering:

Old Knitter
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Oh I'm so happy you hung in there. I have a huge mass that tangled when my swift fell off the counter....grrrr.

cozy
10-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I am SO glad you worked it out. Funny, but I posted on my blog about how I spent this past weekend working on a tangle--I finally had to take scissors to it. :-x Usually, scissors are a last resort for me.