PDA

View Full Version : Swift & Winder recommendation?

hkk02
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a birthday coming up and have put both on my list! Does anyone have recommendations? I'm sure, like everything, there is good vs. better quality and some that are just not worth the extra money.

I'd love any suggestions! It will be ordered online, so any sites would be great. TIA!

brendajos
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
if you go to Joanns.com and type ball winder into the search it should bring up two ball winders and a swift. I have the swift and the winder that is in the black and white pic. both are excellent i think and you can get good pricing by using the coupons for the site. not sure which coupons are available right now since we are in Oct now but you can check out www.currentcodes.com to see what's still current. You can only use the codes for one item and only once (unless you sign on with different information i would suppose)

VictoiseC
10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I waited a year til I could get a Glimakra swift. It's so beautiful!
I bought it on ebay but ... who is here knitting diva has them at a very good price. I don't need or want a ball winder.... rather spend the money on yarn but the swift is so much fun.

slgn
10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm not a fan of the umbrella/accordian-type swifts - no specific reason, that's just me. I like the wheel/spoke kind that sit flat on a table or floor. Probably because that's what I've used before; Mom & Grandma (weavers) have one handmade by Grandpa. I wish he was still around to make me one.

I bought my swift and ball-winder from the Oregon Woodworker: wood.charlestree.com (http://wood.charlestree.com/catalog/). I had originally believed I only wanted a ball winder but that a swift was a luxury... not so when you have two large boxes of inherited yarn that need washing (some has been in basement/attic/cigarette-smoky house for decades, Mom was stashbusting lucky me!). I gotta a lot of skein making, washing and ball winding to do!

I liked Oregon Woodworker because it was handmade, wood, and if you buy a ballwinder at the same time you save about $10 on it compared to on it's own. I have only used my swift two or three times so far but I love it. I got the Mama Bear model.

brownishcoat
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
That is SO FUNNY that you say that about washing inherited yarn! I was at a garage sale this weekend and there was a huge pile of balled acrylic that was dirty and cig-smelly. I distinctly recall thinking, "If I had a swift, I'd buy that stuff." They would have let me have the whole box for about $2, I think.

Hank it up, run it through the washer, NO problem! :teehee:

Even if I didn't use it myself, it could always be donated.

slgn
10-02-2006, 05:34 PM
the really interesting part aside from finding large boxes to mail it in... was doing measuring and burn tests to see what it all was. Some things were labelled but for the most part not. I learned a lot. Knowing that I was "saving money" ;) on the yarn gave me the excuse to purchase the swift which I really have found useful but tried to tell myself I could do without. I'm looking forward to recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters too which again - I can use my swift :). I'm just not allowed to add to the stash until I use some (see how I said some and not all, some is a vague amount ;) ).

debb
10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't care for the umbrella style either. I got my tabletop model at Dragonfly Turnings (http://www.turningsandshavings.com) and my winder at Joann's (with 50% coupon of course)

VictoiseC
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Our own Diva Knitting up there at the top of the page has the beautiful Gimakra that I bought. look up!
It really works well.

SandraEllen
10-03-2006, 11:59 AM
so i have a question.
the swift at JoAnn.com says it holds skeins up to 60" and the Glimakra one from DivaKnitting says it holds skeins up to 100".

How are those measured? is that circumerence of a hank? How big is a normal hank?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
I asked DH if he could "electronicize" my ball winder... basically, I wanted him to replace the crank with a shaft for a drill, so i could just stick a drill in the hole and wind really fast.

needless to say my ball winder is *this close* to meeting its maker... :rolleyes:

he's going to try to build me one, but until then I have "permission" to buy another one. I was thinking about getting and electronic one, anway, since who knows when he'll actually get around to fixing/rebuilding the one I have. Does anyone have one they recommend? That'sa reasonable price? I keep seeing them for like 150 bucks and up. :shock: That's a little crazy.

VictoiseC
10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Man you must wind up a LOT of skeins to want an electronic winder Hildy! geeeeeez I enjoy winding by hand with my Glimakra, it's soothing and relaxing (usually). Only thing is I usually walk across the room over and over coz it doesn't spin off the swift like with a ball winder. (little bit of exercise there!)

$150 for an electronic winder!!!! Use it on yarn girl! imho as they say

Most skeins are not over 30 inches. Usualy between 25 - 28. My swift must be a small, I forgot, but I just measured it and it only opens to 28" across, maybe 30" if I pushed it hard. I think the big one is too big. Depends on what you usually do/buy. Some people who dye yarn like to make really big skeins, I just read in this book I got, Yarns To Dye For.

VictoiseC
10-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Um I just reread your question about circumference. Hm. Somebody else?
I just held up a skein and measured how long it was and got 28" but if you did circumference I guess that would be double, 56". Sounds right doesn't it?

orcoastknitter
10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I bought my ball winder from Joann's using the 50% off coupon along witht the gift card I received for my birthday. I have been wanting a swift, but my budget doesn't allow it right now. A friend informed me that she built her own using these plans (http://www.craftydiversions.com/yarnswift.pdf#search=%22homemade%20yarn%20swift%22/).

So I printed them up and left them sitting accidentaly on my dad's table last night, and this morning they were gone?!?! Umm wonder what's up with that? :?? :teehee:

SandraEllen
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I just held up a skein and measured how long it was and got 28" but if you did circumference I guess that would be double, 56". Sounds right doesn't it?

Then I guess an up to 60" swift would be good enough for normal hanks of yarn then...

I did dye some recently and i made he hank super big so that i wouldn't have as much banding/pooling. I wish i knew how big it was... probably around 120" :verysad: too big for most swifts...

jberry16
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I bought my ball winder from Joann's using the 50% off coupon along witht the gift card I received for my birthday. I have been wanting a swift, but my budget doesn't allow it right now. A friend informed me that she built her own using these plans (http://www.craftydiversions.com/yarnswift.pdf#search=%22homemade%20yarn%20swift%22/).

So I printed them up and left them sitting accidentaly on my dad's table last night, and this morning they were gone?!?! Umm wonder what's up with that? :?? :teehee:

I just e-mailed my dad the plans and asked him if he could/would build one for me, he has all the right tools. Thanks for the link :muah: