PDA

View Full Version : Sonata Crest of the Wave Tank anyone?

KnittyKitty
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi all,

After three months I've FINALLY received my yarn... not because elann didn't send it out on time - they did (they are a wonderful store!) - but a whole series of non-events by the person who I shipped it to who was on holiday at the time and was to bring it in when she returned home.... that didn't happen. Anyways, its now three months later and I have my yarn! :cheering:

I was feeling, after all the frustration that I didn't want to knit the sonata tank anymore, but I went back to the site and looked at it again and fell in love once again. Soooooooo... anyone want to join me in knitting this tank?

Here's (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=134024)a link to it.

rebecca
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
OH, I almost chose that tank for my sister, but decided on Rusted Root (http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/3289215#image_1) and am currently working on it.

KnittyKitty
10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
That's really pretty!

want2knit
10-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I absolutely LOVE that tank, however, it looks a bit overwhelming to me as a fairly new knitter. Somdeday I'm going to attempt it, though! Have fun knitting it, plus you can wear it probably year round!

KnittyKitty
10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Comon Holly! Let do it together!!!!! I'm sure the girls here will help right? See they're nodding yes! It'll be more fun if two of us knit it together!

:flirt:

lizzitude
10-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I am awfully tempted - it is gorgeous!.....but I am also a new knitter and am not sure I'm up to it. (But that hasn't stopped my from trying yet!) I have a few projects OTN that I promised myself I'd finish before I ordered anymore yarn. I've finished knitting my baby TShirt, and Teddy Bear (just need to piece together), and I really need to finish my cardigan (just the sleeves left now).

I may go ahead and order the yarn for the tank top. What color are you knitting it in? I'm considering Jade.....

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey Lizz!

I'm knitting it in Nougat. I think Jade will be a gorgeous colour for the tank! You can do it - we can do it together! The girls here are really helpful.. I think I may need help too. Maybe it just looks more technical than it really is?

lizzitude
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe....I haven't looked at the pattern in detail yet - I was afraid to! I went ahead and ordered the yarn this morning, and will try to get my other projects done this week so I can get started when it comes. I'm excited - I've never done a KAL!

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I haven't done a KAL either but I'm glad you decided to join me!

want2knit
10-09-2006, 06:05 PM
KnittyKitty, I just don't know if I can do it! I printed out the pattern this morning and read through it a little bit. This is how I looked when I was reading it :shock: :help: !!!!!

Like Lizz, I've got a WIP right now that I want to finish first. Fetchings I should do for my mom's b-day which is a week from today. Between working full-time and having 3 active boys, I don't have a lot of time for knitting.

HOWEVER, I do have some yarn in mind--I think it's a cotton/silk combo in a light blue--I'll have to take a look.

Maybe I could be convinced :wink:

Hey, good luck on your upcoming interview!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-11-2006, 08:16 PM
oooooo i LOVE it. And it will fit my boobs!

Alas, I am on a yarn diet :( But I will definitly check in and get my tank fix from you guys.

lizzitude
10-12-2006, 08:15 AM
That's one of the reasons I plan to make it! I'll let you know how it fits when I get it finished.....

Even if you're on a yarn diet, the yarn for this one is pretty inexpensive - only about $20 for the yarn for extra large - another reason I decided to do it!

KnittyKitty
10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
:waving: Hi Hildie! Joiiiiinnnn uusssssss!!!! Diets are meant to be cheated on right? :teehee:

Lizz, which yarn did you order that came to USD$20? I thought the largest size needed 6 skeins? I might be wrong! If I am I may need to order more (that won't stop me from starting when you guys are ready tho since I have 6 skeins on hand now) :D

lizzitude
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I ordered 6 skeins - At Elann.com it was only $1.98 per skein - which I was amazed at! And the 1 skein of Esprit was $2.75. I looked 3 or 4 times to make sure I had the right amount, cause I've never had a project cost that little unless it was for a baby!

KnittyKitty
10-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Can we set a start date of November 1 for this tank? Let me know if this works for you who are interested.

Thanks!

lizzitude
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Works for me - that ought to give me enough time to finish up a couple of small projects first.

Got my yarn yesterday - the color is gorgeous!

KnittyKitty
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Today is the official start date of this KAL! :cheering: Its wide open for anyone else to jump in! I'm sure I'll be needing help on it as I go along too!

Here's a pic of my yarn. Its Elann Sonata 100% mercerized (sp) cotton in Nougat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sonatayarn-1.jpg

Lisa

lizzitude
11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm planning to start swatching this weekend!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm still tempted.... I have enough fista rayon boucle yarn for my size, but I'm worried that the boucle will take away from the lace pattern....

KnittyKitty
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Do you have pics of it? I bet it will look nice!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-02-2006, 09:24 AM
hmmmm.... I do somewhere, I just have to find them....

Here's a link (http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5108334P4904501-Yarns/Fiesta-Yarns/Rayon-Boucle/Fiesta-Yarns-Rayon-Boucle-Vanilla.aspx) to a page that shows it... it's the vanilla color, the big skein at the bottom of the page. I don't think I like how it looks knitted up though (the red swatch on the page).

:thinking:

I guess I'll just have to swatch it and try it!

KnittyKitty
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Yes, I see what you mean... the lace may get lost in there. I thought I had the same problem with the LBT that I did in Tequilla... I thought the lace would get lost... you couldn't really see it on the pc but in person it was really nice. But it should be what you feel comfortable wearing in the end.

lizzitude
11-06-2006, 07:32 AM
My husband and I both came down with a bug this weekend, so I had plenty of time to knit. I finished swatching and managed to knit down to the opaque part of the pattern. It's lots of fun to knit and goes fairly fast.....of course, I would be much farther along if I hadn't had to start over about 3 times before I got the hang of the pattern!

KnittyKitty
11-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Liz! Lookin' good! I tell ya, I had the same problem initially... it was mainly on one shoulder that I had to frog about 6 or so times!! I finally got the hang of it and its going ok now - knock on wood! LOL I think there are parts of this that could be written better and explained better. I'm nearly to the opaque section of the scalloped side - I would love to join for the body today as well. I'll post pics later :happydance:

KnittyKitty
11-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey there Liz, here are a few pics of mine... they didn't come out that well but you get the idea of how its shaping up! I'm now at the where you join for the body. It looks small in these pics but I guess its because its all scrunched up... we'll see.

V-side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sonata-v.jpg

Scalloped side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sonata-s.jpg

Lisa

lizzitude
11-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, you're ahead of me! I saw your post in the how to forum about joining. I'm not there yet - I'm about halfway to the join down the second side. Mine looks all scrunched up too - I'm sure blocking will help bring out the pattern - at least, I hope so!

We just got the call that my daughter-in-law's water broke, so I will be on my way tomorrow to see my new granddaughter. I'm sure I'll get a good bit of knitting done on the way down! I'll check back in when I get back!

KnittyKitty
11-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Hey Lizz!

You must be so excited! I pray all goes well and congrats in advance! "See" you when you get back!

Lisa

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
:cheering: babies!!!!

lizzitude
11-28-2006, 08:26 AM
So how is yours coming? I've had to take a few weeks off to finish some Christmas presents, but I'm hoping to get back to it in another week or two. I'm down a couple of repeats into the body.....

KnittyKitty
12-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Lizz!

Welcome back! How's your new grandbaby? Big congrats!

As for Sonata, I'm about 3/4 ways done... I'm on my second last skein of yarn. I have been rather distracted with my Mountain Peaks Shawl but plan to pick this back up shortly.

What about you? Any further progress since your last post? I'm not home right now, so I can't take pics of the progress as yet. Do you have any more pics?

Lisa

lizzitude
12-04-2006, 08:58 AM
No pics yet....I should be able to get started back on it next week. We're going away for our annual pre-Christmas getaway next week, so I should get lots of knitting done. We go to a state park in West Virginia and do a little hiking, but mostly just beg out. I've got one more scarf to finish for Christmas, and then it will be back on the tank!

lizzitude
01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I've finished! Yeah!! :cheering:

No time today to get a picture posted - I have to cater a dinner party for 40 tonight, but I'll get a picture posted this weekend. I'm VERY pleased with how it fits, especially the sleeves. No sagging armpits, and the drape is very comfortable and flattering. And I still need to block it to bring out the stitch pattern.

lizzitude
01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Here it is.....I still need to block to bring out the shaping.....

KnittyKitty
01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
:thud: Ooooo! Lizz!! Great GREAT work! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm *almost* embarassed to say that I'm not done mine as yet but I'm very close! Yours looks beautiful and it looks great on you! :cheering:

jeanius80
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
:waving: hi! i know i am late to join, but i am casting on right now. i think though, that i am going to do the top of the pattern up to(down to??) :teehee: where the pattern changes, but instead of the pattern, i think i am going to do stockinette. i think i will wear it more if it isnt so lacey. i am using phildar licorne (100% cotton, in a lavendar color), and plan on making a cardi in a different color to wear over.....