PDA

View Full Version : Noro Kureyon weight?

janie
10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm stumped. I bought this yarn today for my class and I'm making a hat. I really like the hat, but not the wool (too itchy). Unfortunately, my YS wouldn't/didn't want me to buy anything but this, hmmm (they push the spendy stuff to those of us who are inexperienced). Anyhow, it doesn't state the weight, so if I wanted to buy yarn that is not wool, I don't know which weight. Following me here ...errr...okay all it says on the package is 100% wool. Standard State 50 gr or 100 meter - everything else is in Japanese. Help. :)

jane

SandraEllen
10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I didn't know, but I looked it up for you. Yarndex.com (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1184) says it's a worsted weight.

suzeeq
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
You need a similar yarn thickness, but also look at the yardage to substitute another yarn so you'll have the right amount for the pattern.

sue

Quiara
10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Not all wools are itchy, though. Merino is soft. Alpaca is a dream. Don't give up on wool. The ladies at my LYS tell me that Noro uses the lowest grade wool for their kureyon line; they just dye it brilliantly so you love it anyway. So don't give up on wool! Just look for something not kureyon. ^_^

janie
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks so much!

Can anyone recommend brands? If I were to shop online what brand names should I look for? I was a little miffed with the Noro, I was just about finished with the hat and found a knot where they connected two colors together. Thank goodness it doesn't show!

jane