PDA

View Full Version : The perfect scarf

Liliyarn
10-03-2006, 02:26 AM
My very first knit was a scarf per request of my DH. He had an odd design request, but he loves this scarf. It is horrid. Plus, it's in acrylic....I have permission to make him another to replace this one. I had to sing the praises of natural fibers. So....in my quest to knit the most fab knock your hand knit socks off...scarf....what should I use?

What is the best softest natural fiber yarn you know of in worsted/dk/sport weight? Money isn't much of an object here...this is the ever supportive DH. He allows me to take over a room (s) with my spinning and knitting stuff. Give me reviews and links. I've got to find it, order it, and knit it before the holidays.

I can't have him displaying something that ugly and proudly claiming" She made this herself"

blueeyes28
10-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Malabrigo all the way it is so yummy and comes in tons of colors !!

rebecca
10-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah, I second Malabrigo, yummilicious yarn for a deserving hubby :wink:

candicane
10-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Although I also love Malabrigo and would like an entire winter wardrobe made out of it, I see a men's scarf in a lighter weight, like sport weight. This probably also depends on the person's style and what type of coat the scarf will be worn with.

I saw and pet some sport weight Blue Sky Alpaca alpaca at the LYS and it was very very very nice.

Candice

mwedzi
10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Although I also love Malabrigo and would like an entire winter wardrobe made out of it, I see a men's scarf in a lighter weight, like sport weight. This probably also depends on the person's style and what type of coat the scarf will be worn with.

I saw and pet some sport weight Blue Sky Alpaca alpaca at the LYS and it was very very very nice.

Candice

Yeah, I can see what Candice means. I like Malabrigo, too, but wonder if, for the most part, it will look very manly with the type of dying it has and its general fluffiness. How about Blue Sky Alpaca's Alpaca Silk? That stuff is very very nice, and alpaca and silk make a warm combo without the bulk. It is also a lighter weight than Malabrigo.

I've never knit cashmere but if money were no object and especially for something as small as a scarf, I might consider it.

cozy
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe Noro? I like these because there are many colors to choose from, including darker, more "masculine" blends.

Transitions (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Noro_Yarn-Transitions_Yarn-1074.html)

Silk Garden (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Noro_Yarn-Silk_Garden_Yarn-1544.html)

Liliyarn
10-03-2006, 12:03 PM
In all honesty I'm drawn to blue sky alpacas especially the Royale. Or maybe cashmere...but I'm actually finding pure cashmere yarn difficult to find....

kemp
10-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd say Malabrigo, baby alpaca or Cashmere.

I'm getting some cashmere in stock for the holidays!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Catalina Alpaca or Catalina Alpaca Bulky!

Calamintha
10-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Before you commit to a yarn, make him wear a swatch next to his skin. I made a scarf for DH from a nice alpaca/wool blend from Elann and when he returned from wearing it the first time his neck had big pink blotches all over it! He hasn't worn it since. He told me before I started he wasn't allergic to wool either.