PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else domestically challenged???

JessicaR
10-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I would rather rip out my eye lashes out one by one then do housework. I hate it that much. The idea of being organized, I like. But actually doing it is a whole other matter. I buy cleaning supplies yet never clean. It's depressing. I hate living like this but I don't see myself ever changing. It's a vicious cycle. The dirty house makes me depressed, but then I'm to depressed to do anything about it. I'm a whack job right?

SabrinaJL
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I buy organizing supplies (rubbermaid containers, photo boxes, hampers, bakets, etc...) and never organize. We can be whack jobs together. :hug:

Lucy Fan
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I've been there and so have 300,000 other women. Have you ever been to www.flylady.net ? It seriously saved me. I used to break down crying over the house and the frustration that I felt. Flylady is awesome!

SabrinaJL
10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes. I could never stick with it.

figaro
10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I think that "Domestically Challenged" needs to be my middle name! Just the thought of doing dishes, folding and putting clothes away and then there is the whole bathroom avoidance issue I have, I think you get the picture :hair: . The part that really is bad is we are trying to sell our house and it is supposed to be CLEAN all the time. Well, that is just not going to happen, so my realtor put in the MLS notes to give me 2 hours notice cause I have 3 kids at home. Yea, 3 kids at home, that's the reason I need 2 hours to clean! :teehee:

I joined FLYLADY and it worked for a while, but all those emails ended up being a little annoying, and bottom line is you just need to get up and do it. (just like I do all the time! :rofl: ) I do remember some of her points though, I do try to get my shoes on and get dressed in the mornings first thing. But I just find it easier to go at it alone...

misstialouise
10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Add me to the list..

Flylady.net really is brilliant... and it's not about 'sticking with it', it's about taking on what you can as you go..

Not taking on everything at once.

cookworm
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm SO GLAD to read these other posts...I thought I was the only person that had such a hard time with the housework! :verysad: I've got three kids and 2 bigger dogs, and it just seems that no matter what I do, it's undone in 10 minutes. It's really depressing, and it never seems to get any easier, especially as I get older. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I feel doubly bad about feeling this way...if I worked full time outside of the home, I think I'd feel I'd have more of a reason to be discouraged because my outside employment would take up all my time, but I don't. So that depresses me too, and then the thought of doing a bunch of work that doesn't even look like it at the end of the day...well, that's really depressing too.

Figaro, a year ago, I was where you are--trying to sell the house with 3 kids. It's really hard, and I'm hoping my husband won't want to move again for a long, long time after that chronic attempt to look like we lived in a house out of the pages of Better Homes and Gardens. :teehee:

Well everybody, at least we have our knitting, right? :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Is flylady the Shine Your Sink lady?? I did that for a few days...

Eloewien
10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
I hate cleaning, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it has to get done. Ever since my DH took on a second job he hates, I just think of it as a second job I have to tolerate. I just feel bad that he's working so much, and if I don't get the work done, he tries to do it... so it gets done. Not as well or as often as I would like, but it's done. Bleh. I would SO much rather be knitting... or reading... or sleeping... or ANYTHING!

BinkyKat
10-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I am SOOOOO the same way! I came from a home where you cleaned every Saturday, I had my little jobs growing up.... but it sure wasn't a "Joan Crawford no wire hangers" type of deal. Still, I developed bad habits the year I was in the dorms. I then lived with my dad and he basically would shake is head at the mess that my room would become. I would clean and do so every few months, but it was such a big production. If I could finally do a "clean sweep" and have a new starting point (besides moving) I do fine. So, I pretty much know what needs to be done and yet am so angry and frustrated at my ADD habits. I have heard about the flylady thing and have been meaning to try it...
With another Fall upon us the weather's only gonna get colder, and it would be so much nicer to not be trapped in a house you can't have people comfortably situated in!
:wall:

Eloewien
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
The ADD makes it hard to stay on track-- I certainly understand that one! I hate doing one thing at a time. I'll usually alternate vacuuming (my most dreaded chore) with others that aren't as bad. Do one room, then something else in that room (dusting for example) then move to the next room. Seems more managable one room at a time, and it breaks up the monotony a little.

Limey
10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I've never seen it written on anyone's tombstone that they were a great cleaner and I've never heard anyone say 'Such a shame about her - she really knew how to vacuum. It was a joy to see her steam-clean the oven and she spent all her Saturdays scrubbing the bathroom.'

Best book I ever read on this subject was Shirley Conran's 'Superwoman' - it really makes you think what's important and what's not - get rid of what's uncomfortable and live as you want - after all, it's your house - no one else's.

As she says, 'Life's too short to stuff mushrooms'

All the Best

Limey :hug:

janelanespaintbrush
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
As she says, 'Life's too short to stuff mushrooms'

Mmmmmm.... stuffed mushrooms... :drool:

Limey
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
They're not worth it! Not the way I made them anyway.
Limey

BinkyKat
10-03-2006, 07:43 PM
See I struggle with "I don't care what other's think" and "Gosh, I would so enjoy my home more if it wasn't such a mess" :wall:

But, in the grand scheme of things I have always tried to tell myself that if I die tomorrow, I hope people remember me for being nice or funny and not that I was a bad/good housekeeper. I used to work with a gal that went into nauseating detail about how she cleaned this or that in her home that I felt uncomfortable in her home and perhaps unwelcomed for fear of making a mess. :verysad:
I love having people over and - barring shear disregard for one's belongings - I never expect people to take off their shoes or not eat in my living room. I want people to be comfortable first and foremost. I do my best to be careful in other's homes and if they tell me to relax, I do and pick up after myself.

But, in the end, one of my favorite quotes is "If I die tomorrow, my inbox will still be full" from Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work. :roflhard:

janelanespaintbrush
10-03-2006, 07:43 PM
They're not worth it! Not the way I made them anyway.
Limey

That just makes them sound better! :rofl:

Mulderknitter
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I struggle with this almost daily. Before I was married, I would clean every saturday like my mom did. vacuum, dust, bathroom, kitchen, all in their proper order. I would even hear my mom's voice in my head the whole time. But then I got married, and he made messes, and now Im lucky to clean the 2 litter boxes once a week, the poor kitties :pout:
Luckily, I married a man who isn't all that concerned about messes, untill we have someone over... Then he demands that the house be spick and span top to bottom, and i'm sitting with the cats going "who cares, it's just so and so....?" :shrug:

orcoastknitter
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't hate housework, but it's not on my top 10 favorite things to do. I live in rather large house (3500 sq ft). I actually share the house with my folks (who are retired). It's actually a nice set up. Their area (1700 sq ft) is the top half which has the kitchen, dining area, two bedrooms and two baths. The bottom half is a basement that is about 1800 sq ft, which is where I live. I have my own bathroom, bedroom, bar and great room. I am pretty much responsible for keeping it tidy. I also help with kitchen clean up. My mother has osteoarthritis. It's sometimes hard for her to do certain things, so I help her out. We have set days when we do specific jobs (usually during the week). By the weekend there isn't much to do, but relax and knit! I will admit I do get lazy and just throw things in my closet.

Liliyarn
10-04-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't have kids, I have a large house, I work. I have a DH who isn't concerned about tidiness. Once upon a time I was a neat freak. Everything had to be in its own place and no pack ratting. Then I met Mr. Perfect and it all went down hill.

So, I now knit and spin and let *everything* do neglected. Then I rush to catch up in one day, so I can get back to my knitting and spinning. The clutter and mess bother me just not enough for me to give up my precious time.

stitchywitch
10-04-2006, 05:08 AM
I used to be sooo messy. When I was growing up our house was always nuts, and I guess I just never got into the habit of cleaning. I was a messy adult too, until I realized I was avoiding having people over because I was embarrassed. So I decided to change, and I just... did. Can't explain how it was suddenly so easy.

Unfortunately, being formerly messy is somewhat like being a recovering addict. I've had to really work at not being constantly terrified of backsliding, and to not let my apparent OCD-ness take over my life. I think I've achieved a sort of happy medium now.

I can remember though how upset it made me when people would judge me based on messiness. It's really not an indication of how you live your whole life, you know?

Old Knitter
10-04-2006, 08:06 AM
But.....we're knitters.

How can you clean with knitting needles in your hands? Please, be realistic!

mwedzi
10-04-2006, 08:51 AM
it's terrible. i try, i really do. no, i'm lying, i don't try that hard. i can't let people see this mess, though, so my way of keeping it at least somewhat under control is to invite people over with like a day or two notice. then i know i have to clean to avoid embarrassment. i'm working at getting someone over at least once a week so I can keep things up.

one thing i do clean regularly is the toilet, though. i can't stand a dirty toilet. just grosses me out.

i would like to live in a clean house, though. i feel better when things are clean.

cookworm
10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I would even hear my mom's voice in my head the whole time.

This is precisely why I think I'm not that on top of my housecleaning...my mom is a neat freak and everything had to be in an exact place at all times, and there were never any shortcuts for cleaning when I was at home. So now, I guess I figure that if I can't get down and scrub every corner of the floors on my hands and knees every time I wash the floors, it's just not going to be good enough to use a sponge mop, so why bother? I know, it's a dumb mentality--"shortcut" cleaning is better than no cleaning at all, to be sure!--but I still haven't forgiven myself for the fact that I'll never be like my mom's standards of cleaning. But that was something that bugged me about when I was a kid...we lived in a house, not a museum, and I didn't want my kids to feel like they couldn't touch stuff growing up or that a few fingerprints would freak me out, you know? I mean, I want a neat and clean house, but it can look "lived in", too. Well, maybe there's hope for me still...I'll check out "Fly Lady" (I'd never heard of this) and see if there's help there. Thanks for posting everybody...this has made me feel a little bit better. :heart:

sara_jayne
10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I wish I had my fathers drive - he is OCD to the max about cleaning. Ever Saturday he cleans the whole house before he does anything else. But he likes being busy.

I struggled for a while to keep my house clean when I lived alone....but that is because I was working close to 70 hours a week and working on a Master's degree so I was never home :shrug:

Now that I'm married it is a struggle. My DH's mom did everything for him so he is used to it being done (but he doesn't expect that I do it) and he doesn't "see" the problems. I voiced my concerns to him that I was handling everything and now, I still do most of the work but if I tell him to do something (yes, tell him) he'll do it, no questions asked. I reward myself for the extra cleaning duties with yarn purchases, I feel justified!

It might sound weird, since I'm almost 30, but I made myself a chore chart. I truly do feel better in a clean house and I find if I keep up with it it is easier to maintain. So, with the chore chart I figured out what needed to be done and then broke it up over 5 days of the week, so my weekends would be free. It was nice not to be faced with cleaning everything at once....and only having to do a few quick things a day was easier than cleaning the whole house. The other nice thing is now, when I do have company come over I don't need to worry about spending the whole day cleaning because the house is essentially clean.

I don't do it to impress people nor am I worried about people's judging me (my carpets have spots, their is dog hair every where, and my knitting is always on the coffee table)...my house is clean, but it is lived in!

cgd
10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I can totally relate to this! I hate cleaning, but won't leave dirty dishes overnight or have a dirty toilet. The clutter OTOH tends to stay where it is for months on end. Last spring I went on an organizational kick and got the house in good shape, got rid of stuff we don't use anymore. I also cleaned everything, even blinds and thorough dusting. Then I took up knitting and crocheting, so now my guest bedroom (which was straightened up nicely) now looks like a craft store threw up on it!

I am by nature disorganized. I've tried to repent of my terrible ways, but end up reverting to my true self. My office is the same way. Even now I'm going through trying to clean up my e-mail on our server at work. My desk has stacks of stuff I need to go through. Thankfully they're not too bad, but I envy naturally organized people.

Sissy
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I dislike HOUSEWORK. :grrr: ,but I do it sometimes.Once I get started I'm fine,but have to talk myself into it.It makes me mad that I can go sweep the kitchen,them mop,and 20 minutes later its sticky or something. :grrr: .I have a daughter and grandaughter living here,so there is always a mess somewhere :wall: .............BUT since I dont have to go to work,I feel its my responsibility. :shrug:

CarmenIbanez
10-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Luckily I have a child that REQUIRES order in order to function at all. He is so affective by chaos and disorder. Which is perfect, but I am basically a ball of chaos and disorder.

Do what I do. Hire a maid. For $50 or $75 a month, I have someone come in and just do the bare minimum. Dust, clean the bathrooms and hard floors. I can vacuum and do the rest in between. Twice a year, I hire her to do a 4 hour hard core cleaning of all the nooks and crannies.

It isn't that expensive to have someone come in and do it. And now my husband and I don't have to fight over who should do it (we both work).

Jan in CA
10-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Surprisingly there ARE people who like to do housework.. :?? I'm not one of them, but I've learned little tricks that keep the cleanliness to a level that keeps DH happy and me comfortable. I made an embroidered picture once for my cousin that said;

Clean and scrubbing
Can wait for tomorrow
For babies grow up
We've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs
Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
And babies don't keep.

That was pretty much my motto when the kids were little. I kept the house clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy. Now I try to do things like make sure the magazines are stacked on the coffeetable..even if they are 6 in high they look better, put my dishes in the dishwasher right away..it only takes a minute, make my bed in the morning, etc..

If you aren't comfortable in your home then it's time to change something. Just start with little changes and add to them. It makes you feel virtuous and really does help. ;)

gimmesanity
10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I kept the house clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.

This is me, too. I don't enjoy housework, but I dislike messes even more. My house looks lived in, and that's how I want it. I don't want to live in a museum. If people are coming over, then I'll run around the living room picking up my daughter's toys and shove them into her room. ;)

The one room I make a point to keep clean is the kitchen, though. I can't stand having to clean up before I make dinner, only to have to clean up again afterwards. I usually clean as I go along, and then make sure that all the dishes are washed and dried before going to bed. It's like the rest of the house can be a little disheveled, but if my kitchen is put together, I'm OK.

kellyjo32
10-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't have kids, I have a large house, I work. I have a DH who isn't concerned about tidiness. Once upon a time I was a neat freak. Everything had to be in its own place and no pack ratting. Then I met Mr. Perfect and it all went down hill.

So, I now knit and spin and let *everything* do neglected. Then I rush to catch up in one day, so I can get back to my knitting and spinning. The clutter and mess bother me just not enough for me to give up my precious time.

Hmm, I feel like I wrote that! Except for the large house part! :rofl: I was a serious neat / clean freak when I was on my own. I felt like I just didn't have much stuff and everything had a place. Anyone could drop in at anytime and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about thinking the house was a mess. Then I moved into DH's house when we got married and my stuff didn't have a place and all the stuff we had tons of stuff!!
But we both work full time, I'm working on my MBA, and we stay very busy with our weekly church activities, weekly volleyball games and traveling to see his parents every other weekend Spring to Fall, and now hunting, so cleaning is last on the list.
Every once in a while I find myself getting overwhelmed at the 'mess', which upsets DH because he doesn't really care. He realizes how much we do, and that I can't be superwoman and do everything, but it's still hard for me sometimes. He is very great about tidying up while I'm doing school work, or taking time to knit (which usually doesn't happen at all during the week anymore)
But for the most part, I try to keep the 'mess' manageable, or at least hidden. Folded clothes can stay in the basket for a few days, if they are in the bedroom. Magazines can stay on the coffee table, if they are stacked neatly, etc.
I've never heard of FlyLady, but I like what I've read so far. I'm hoping once this semester is done, things will get better (I'm taking two classes this semester, which is killing me!!) and I can tackle some of the smaller stuff a little better, like shining my sink! :happydance:

WynnieG
10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't mind most housechores, as long as I have the right armor! My dust allergies are so bad now that I have to wear a dust mask just to vacuum - and if I'm doing any dusting/polishing of furniture or fixtures, sometimes eye protection as well, otherwise I rub my eyes and...well, you know the deal.

Thing I hate most: laundry. I never seem to be able to get to the bottom of the hamper. I hate clothes lying on the floor, and it seems like I'm forever trying to catch up with the overflow. And it's just the two of us!

Most challenging chore: cleaning the tub & shower. I literally can't kneel anymore because of the hardware holding together my right knee. So my DH undertakes that chore.

nonny2t
10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Ok, let another version tell you my problem. I CLEAN TOO MUCH! :oops: Yep, I clean everyday and everyone makes fun of me and calls me OCD MOM. My house looks much cleaner than it is. in my opinion. It always stays very neat, but there a lot of things I wish I could do that are hard for me because of my size for one thing, like cleaning baseboards and ceilings (we have those darn popcorn things that are terrible to clean even with a broom) etc. I have the opposite problem because I feel judged by people that if I don't keep a perfect house they will think "the fat lady is lazy." :oops: So you see, there are difficulties on both sides.

I think it is a mind over matter thing though as I have times where I just don't want to get off my behind and do anything even though I know I should. Sorry, but it is a get up off your butt thing too and that isn't easy. Once the darn stuff is out of control, then you feel hopeless and never try. I heard about the website mentioned and don't know what they do, but here is my suggestion. First of all, DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING no matter how small EVERYDAY to get yourself motivated. Otherwise you won't ever be motivated to tackle the tough jobs.

Don't start TOMORROW! Even if the day is half gone, do something TOday. :thumbsup: Pick out a kid's drawer and clean it and organize it, do your spice cabinet, anything to get you started. If you have laundry stacked up, start a load in the washer and leave it and go onto something else while it is washing. When it is done, put it in the dryer, start another load, then go on to the job you originally started. You can always sit down to fold clothes for heaven's sake so use the clothes folding as your "recess" time. :passedout:

Break down each room and clean it accordingly. Let's say your master bedroom. Start at the top and work to the bottom, ie, pick up clean clothes and hang up and put away (worry about the mess the closet and drawers are another time, let's get the room in order first) next, pile dirty clothes in the hallway to go to the laundry room, after everything is picked up, go check on that laundry load, you may have a recess coming!!! If not, go back upstairs with your dust clothe and dust the furniture. When you are done, STOP and go take a recess, dryer clothes or no dryer clothes. Have a cup of coffee soft drink, whater, but set your stove timer for 15 minutes and when it dings, get you butt up and going again. :out: In other words, do a couple jobs and rest, but always use that timer so you don't just continue to rest. You can do this, you know you can and you can have the house you want too! :cheering: You have just gotten to the hopeless point so you don't even try because you think of the BIG picture and that is murder! NO ONE including cleannik me, likes those big picture things!!!!!

Please feel free to email me if you like and I will gladly help you get through this one room at a time. I know you can get your house in shape and once in shape then you can keep it that way!

Donna

rebecca
10-04-2006, 01:32 PM
House cleaning certainly isn't and never has been a favorite of mine, either. Although, I don't like a dirty house, so I would have to say that we have a comfortable, lived in feeling here. I want people to feel like they can relax, but don't feel like they can't move!
I must say, I should, but I don't come behind the cat and dog on a daily basis with the sweeper. LOL, it's not been done in a few days and I am quite upset with the hair on the floor (we have tile floors, not carpet so the hair can be seen if you look!). I am extraoridinarily lucky because Lonnie has always done the housework and laundry, too. He knows that I am not physically able to do all that I want to do so I catch him doing housework and laundry all the time!
As a matter of fact, Lonnie is out of town on business and it was my goal to do some cleaning and organize the kitchen cabinets while he was away, but apparently my body revolted at the thought and I've been dreadfully ill.....perhaps tomorrow :wink:

kellyjo32
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Rebecca - that's awesome that Lonnie helps out so much!! He sounds like he treats you like a queen!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I definitely know how nice that is! I almost never have to do the laundry, and DH always does the dishes (we're not big dishwasher fans, although we do use it when the pile gets too big!) And he never complains!! I love it!! He does tell me when he does things, which I like b/c I'm easy to overlook things, and I love to thank him a hundred times when he does stuff to make my life easier!! I love showing him my appreciation, and of course he loves getting it!! :teehee:

cookworm
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Has anybody heard that a disorganized space is the sign of a creative mind?
:rofl: :shrug:

Okay, I tried. :eyebrow: I know better. :teehee:

figaro
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
nonny2t-it sounds like you been at the Flylady website. One thing I remember about her is she says that your house did not get messy overnite so clean it in babysteps. And she talks about taking regular breaks and taking 15 minutes at a time to declutter a spot. It all sounds so easy and I have taken what she has said and applied it to myself so it will work better for me. She also talks about getting up and getting dressed every morning, just doing that does make me feel better. I know that focusing on one smaller area helps out alot too, makes it feel not so big and overwhelming. But, a lot of the time I just don't want to do it, like laundry, ugh I really dislike laundry even though when I really think about it, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to actually finish it. (please ignore the full unfolded laundry basket sitting on my bedroom floor :oops: )

Cookworm-Yeah, I really don't like selling the house right now, and I really hate having to clean it as clean as it needs to be in 2 hours time. The funny thing is I have shown the house 5 to 6 times when my hubby was out of town! He has been here once to help me and I almost think that it is easier without him here :wall: :rofl: ! And I also have to bring our big goofy 75 lb dog and the cat with us everytime we leave the house.

Lisa1216
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I like the Flylady thing. I started doing it a few years ago. Back then my motto was "If you come to see me, come anytime, if you come to see my house, make an appointment". I used to have house cleaners come in every other week (Dh and I were trying to run 3 businesses) and at $90 a time, it got to be too much. I tried the FlyLady thing, and after a few weeks, stopped the house cleaners. I don't follow all of her routines exactly, just make them work for me. You can get all the e-mails in a digest form, instead of all of the individual ones. Now after dinner instead of trying to clean for the hours before bed, I do a few things, and what isn't done by 8pm will have to wait for tomorrow, and then I can sit and knit without feeling guilty.

phisch
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I am learning to be neat. I have to since we, too, are trying to sell our house. I fight with two things: 1-lack of motivation and 2-where to put all of our stuff.

With #1, if we have people coming over then that is usually enough motivation. That doesn't happen often and my own DH and two DSs should really be motivation enough!

With #2, it's an issue of being a pack rat. I can't let go of books or every scrap of paper my oldest son brings home from school. I save too much and need to learn to cut the fat. Someone needs to be ruthless and throw out junk for me. If I don't use it anyway and I don't see it disappear things end up ok.

The only trouble is I look at old books and magazines and think of how much I would have missed if there wasn't a pack rat who saved it for me to look at years and years later.

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I never like cleaning too... i realised that the less you have the less u need to cleaned.and organized ...

i used to have alot of gifts given to me and my hubby... lately i had a rummage sale and make some money...and less dust in the house too ...what a way of getting rid of stuff !!!

we used to have stuff laying on the floor all thetime....clothes...books...cd ...blah blah blah. :hair: :hair: ..i hate cleaning !!! thank god my hubby din not build a house... we love our condo...NO Mowing the grass...no taking down of pinetress and apples tree... what a bless !!!! :yay: only one things is the worst is my garage window... alot of dead insects dead there....they fly in and trap there and always died by the window.... bees...wasp...spider...bugs....eeeeekkk

believe me less is more in life....but not for the yarn ok...the more yarn you got the more colorful your life is ha ha ha :happydance:

hmmm bottom line is enjoy your life in this equation

knitting - 99%
cleaning - 1 %

nadja la claire
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Man am I glad I'm not the only "domestically challanged" woman here. :hug:
I don't mind doing the laundry but everything else is such a drag. I do vacuum once a week....well I try to. :teehee: I don't get depressed about it. When I get fed up I just go on a big cleaning spree and that's it for another couple of months. I mean I'd like to clean more I really would but it would only get in th way of my knitting :teehee: Oh well what's a girl to do? :roflhard:

By the way what is this flygirl you speak of? :??

Nadja xxx

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Man am I glad I'm not the only "domestically challanged" woman here. :hug:
I don't mind doing the laundry but everything else is such a drag. I do vacuum once a week....well I try to. :teehee: I don't get depressed about it. When I get fed up I just go on a big cleaning spree and that's it for another couple of months. I mean I'd like to clean more I really would but it would only get in th way of my knitting :teehee: Oh well what's a girl to do? :roflhard:

By the way what is this flygirl you speak of? :??

Nadja xxx

talk about laundry... we don't have any kids....and aldy full loads of clothes to wash every week...it seem like we are on a fashion show business ha ha :roflhard: :roflhard:

cookworm
10-04-2006, 06:10 PM
And I also have to bring our big goofy 75 lb dog and the cat with us everytime we leave the house.

Oh my gosh, we had to do the VERY SAME thing with our two Labs in our truck...drive aimlessly around, waiting for the people to look at our house with our dogs whining in the car the whole time! I hope you get buyers soon...it's such a hard process to keep going through that! And to do all that on your own while your husband isn't home is hard. My husband was traveling a lot for his job at that time we were selling our house and I feared I would get stuck mustering our dogs and kids together, in addition to tackling a deep cleaning on short notice. It's definitely no picnic! But again, hopefully you guys will sell soon--good luck! :hug:

rebecca
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Rebecca - that's awesome that Lonnie helps out so much!! He sounds like he treats you like a queen!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks, Kelly! I do have the best husband in the world for many, many reasons!

I now feel like I had never seen a mop or vacuum because I am now a sweaty mess after vacuuming and mopping living room and kitchen! But, I must say, it worked wonders for getting rid of the lingering part of a fever I had! So, I'll take that as the upside!

nonny2t
10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I think what everyone needs to see is if whatever your house looks like, if it bothers you, than find a way to do something about it, if not then to heck with whomever comes in the house and be happy with it the way it is. Though, this comes from a woman who thinks a magazine on a table is a huge mess and goes around picking up constantly. My dh laughs at me because I won't sit through a whole tv program. If I sit down to watch, when the commercial comes on, I get up and do something and he has to call me back when it goes back to the program.

To tell you the truth, I would almost prefer to be comfortable in the mess. It is JUST as difficult to feel compelled to clean all the time as it is to feel like you live in a mess all the time.

I hope no one was offended by my post before. I think YOUR HOME IS YOUR HOME and no one elses, but I also think that if it bothers you, that means you aren't satisfied so you need to do something about it. I found that I break my house up into daily chores, ie feeding pets, cleaning cat box, putting away dishes from dishwasher and starting laundry and then my once a day chores, which I break up into jobs, ie, Monday is clean all countertops, ceramic stove top, downstairs bath, dining table and microwave, Tuesday is dust and vacuum downstairs, Wednesday is mop kitchen, entranceway, laundry room and bathroom. Thursday is clean upstairs bathrooms and empty all trash cans, Friday is Vacuum and dust upstairs. Sat and Sunday is free (well, yes and no for me... :doh: ) but heavier cleaning is done. I think the main thing is keeping up when you get it all cleaned up. Now you have to understand, I don't work AND we no longer have kids in the house, but I was this way when we had kids and I worked so....You would be amazed how much it helps to pick up BEFORE you go to bed at night then again in the morning with morning chores. Another thing, and this is a BIGGY! You need to work on getting the other members in the family trained and that means ole hubby too! It took me awhile, but Jack doesn't leave dirty clothes anywhere but in the clothes basket and clothes left on the floor on chairs etc did NOT get washed (I have one for each room) everything has a place and I have complained enough over the years to have things put where they belong, ie car keys go on a hook next to the door and not wherver when he comes in the house. This takes awhile, but it is worth working on because enough griping and they get the idea eventually. Sometimes it is worth putting your foot down and sometimes not. Pick your battles, but stick to your guns when something is important to you! Oh and make sure the ones you love KNOW you appreciate it when they do something right too! Praise goes a long way even to the sloppy hubby! :D

Donna

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
ya i think team work is very important in a marriage... like i cooked...my husband will iron his work shirts and pants... he vacuum and i wash the toilet...i do laundry ...he take the garbage out....although we are from different culture we really click and get along very well... he is american and i am asian :heart: he is very caring and sensitive ...very very considerate...and my mom (who never thought that i will marry so far away from Singapore) adore him !!!!

He is the most honest person that i had ever met...he dun even tell white lies believe it or not.so far i did not catch him doing that for the past 5 years ..if you want him to do something and he does not want to ...he will be very honest and tell it as it is...he will never use excuse to lie . i learnt alot from him...i got alot of horrible relationships in the past but i am glad that god sent him to me ..i feel very blessed ...

Share your story too ....sorry got abit side-track here...we are talking about domestic cleaning and here i am ya-dah ya dah about my honey :roflhard:

cookworm
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
He sounds sweet, Kitty--you should "yadda yadda" about him! :heart:

koolbreeze
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
hi, my name is Carmell and i am domestically challenged. but i got all you beat! i have an alright sized house, a husband that is never home but on the weekend AND 5 kids under 8! so you think you got stains on the carpets, clothes coming out your ears, toys all over the place, no storage, food on the floor, dust bunnies tha live with you... ya'll need to come to my house. and no one is allowed in. i want to so bad to be a neat freak but its just not happening!!! my friend came over yesterday and cleaned the girls room. i felt bad but i'm watching her 7 yr old, mouthy son, so she owes me. i just don't know where to start! :ick:
but it is so nice to see i'm not the only one like this!!!!

juneko74
10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
I just HATE housework. I am a workaholic... or at least I was until I came to the States. I am unemployed now, so I am home the whole day long and ... I miss working out of my home.
There are times when I just start bawling while doing the dishes. I can't believe that I am a housewife now. My hubby (then BF) used to complain all the time that I never had time to go out. I would bring work home and do work-work all night long, all weekend long, all and any free time I had, but I wouldn't move a finger to clean the house until I saw hair balls running around the floor. I have long hair so imagine!

He is a sweetheart. He helps me with the chores, he cooks and cleans so it's not that bad. But I cna't imagine my whole life sitting at home cleaning and cooking. Though I am a good cook :aww: (hehe... my family owned restaurants and learned to cook from mom, she is the best cook ever!) I would refuse to cook if I could. But well... the only thing I can't force my hubby is cooking all the time. He is pretty good but needs a cookbook and well... takes him average of 2 hours to cook a meal and well, if we want to eat right away, I have to cook

Because I haven't work a real job for 4 months now, and I get really depressed for it, he just let me do whatever I want.

Now I only knit and crochet all the time, hehe... It's good to know I am not the only one in this world having problems with housework

rebecca
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
hellokitty, you have a wonderful husband, too! He sounds just like mine :wink: he spoils me rotten in every way imaginable. :teehee: I am very blessed!

Carmell, my friend, baby, you don't worry about worrying so much about your house, you have those little angels to care for. And, yeah, if you helped your friend with a mouthy child, you're right, she owes you!

June, I'm so sorry you are getting sad about not working! Perhaps you will find something that you like here in the States. Keep on knitting and crocheting, that always helps!

hellokitty165
10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
hellokitty, you have a wonderful husband, too! He sounds just like mine :wink: he spoils me rotten in every way imaginable. :teehee: I am very blessed!

Carmell, my friend, baby, you don't worry about worrying so much about your house, you have those little angels to care for. And, yeah, if you helped your friend with a mouthy child, you're right, she owes you!

June, I'm so sorry you are getting sad about not working! Perhaps you will find something that you like here in the States. Keep on knitting and crocheting, that always helps!

What is mouthy ?? :??

nadja la claire
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM

What is mouthy ?? :??

Mouthy means that the child talks back or is sassy or just talks too much.

Nadja xxx

koolbreeze
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
so i should have used the other words!!! you'd got it if i had said what i really felt... but there are a few minors that come here so i thoughti'd keep it clean!! :teehee:

rebecca
10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Carmell, This must be a very good friend because it sounds like this is one bad kid!

Well, I don't feel so domestically challenged this week, I did clean and rearrange the kitchen cabinets and clean these past few days (except when I was sick) while Lonnie has been out of town on business...I had wanted to do this when he was away because I don't like to have a real mess out in the house when he gets home from work...the least I can do :wink:

brodster
10-06-2006, 04:50 PM
You are not alone! In fact, I had to read that just to make sure *i* didn't write it!