PDA

View Full Version : OT: Juvenile Offenders Crochet For Their Communities

Stonington
10-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I was watching the early news this morning when this segment came on. It made me so happy that I thought I would share it with you all. I know it is not Knitting but I think it does show that working with yarn in different ways is good therapy. :heart: But you all know that already, right? :cheering:

here is the link to the article and video: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=42619

Have a sparkling day!
anne
sebago ME

cgd
10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
My grandmother (and many others) used to say that idle hands are the devil's workshop. I believe that's true. You can't very well commit crimes with hooks and needles in your hands, can you? Well, I guess you could skewer someone with a needle, but we wouldn't want anyone bleeding on the scarf we're making :roflhard:

Kaydee
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Its nice to see something good in the news. Not only are they helping the community by donating the things they make, but it's great therapy for them as well. Lets hope programs like this catch on in other places as well. Good for them! :cheering:

blueeyes28
10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I saw that too!!I thought it was so great seeing these tough boys sitting there with hooks in hand looking so proud of their work !

Stonington
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I saw that too!!I thought it was so great seeing these tough boys sitting there with hooks in hand looking so proud of their work !
Pretty awesome wasn't it? :cheering:

blueeyes28
10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
It moved me to tears because it is a great example of what happens when kids get involved in something and get lots of possitive reinforcement they are the same kids that they were when they were locked up it is just that now they feel they have a purpose.

ae
10-04-2006, 10:03 PM
wow, that is so cool ~ thanks for sharing!!

letah75
10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I posted something similar to this recently. I am going to be teaching a few "juvenile offenders" how to knit.

I have gotten some chenille donated to me, and I will be having them make scarves for our local homeless shelter. They are 'out of custody' kids, but I have discussed it with their therapist and we think it will be something time consuming and soothing for them.

Plus they will have the added benifit of making something, completeing it and having people be grateful to them, and gush over how nice they are.

All around a good program.

I work with this popultion of kids, and I often knit in front of them. Supprisingly the boys (teens) are the most interested, 'cause they want to make their own bennies.

:shrug:

feministmama
10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
1000 blankets!?!?! How cool is that :cheering:

callmesusan
10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
snif... snif... :heart:

Stonington
10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I posted something similar to this recently. I am going to be teaching a few "juvenile offenders" how to knit.

I have gotten some chenille donated to me, and I will be having them make scarves for our local homeless shelter. They are 'out of custody' kids, but I have discussed it with their therapist and we think it will be something time consuming and soothing for them.

Plus they will have the added benifit of making something, completeing it and having people be grateful to them, and gush over how nice they are.

All around a good program.

I work with this popultion of kids, and I often knit in front of them. Supprisingly the boys (teens) are the most interested, 'cause they want to make their own bennies.

:shrug:

:cheering: :cheering: That is fantastic! It is a wonderful thing for you to do! :hug:
anne
sebago ME