PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated....

Kaydee
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm soooo excited that I am becoming an Auntie for the first time very soon (baby Cammie is due on the 11th)!!! :heart: :cheering: But, I am making her a blanket, and am very frustrated with it :wall: . I had about 6 inches done when I realized that I had accidently turned it around and knitted backwards for 4 rows! I don't know why I didn't look until I had done 3 rows after that. Now I am starting all over, but at least I'll remember to be very careful this time...

janelanespaintbrush
10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
You don't have to start over completely. Just rip back until you get to the part before the mistake. Amy shows how to insert your needle into a destination row before frogging here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) under "fixing mistakes."

Kaydee
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I tried to do this, but seeing as I'm a fairly new knitter I had trouble and couldn't really get it. I figured the best thing to do would be just to start from the beginning. :shrug:

cookworm
10-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Katie, I'm sorry about this. It's very frustrating to make such a special gift as a newer knitter and make a mistake--you want everything to be perfect, and then there's a glitsch. :verysad: But, I'm very happy for you becoming an auntie for the first time--I did too this year, so congratulations!!!!! :woot: Just be patient with your knitting and it will go fine. :heart:

Old Knitter
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Knitting helps you develop patience....well, you may cuss now and then, but patience IS growing beneath the blue steam.

A girlfriend of mine made an awful pattern error in her first vest. She was too nervous about frogging it out....so, she went on and finished it. When she was done, she tied a little piece of contrasting yarn in a small bow on the error and now when she wears it and "brags" about the error we all laugh and enjoy it.

I'm not advocating this, I'm just saying...enjoy knitting....it's all about fun.

Kaydee
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm just going to keep with it no matter how long it takes, and at least this time around I've had plenty of practice with the pattern so it should look better than the first try.

Mama Bear
10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Great attitude!

I have to admit I make my share of that kind of mistake!

Mama Bear

BinkyKat
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
:shrug: I've been told you must appease the knitting gods by leaving at least one mistake in your work for good luck!
:hug:

Freyja
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Sense you're on a dead line, why not add life lines. :teehee:

Yarnoholic
10-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Sense you're on a dead line, why not add life lines. :teehee:

Very smart to do. I know what I am talking about now.....

Life line is very important for a new beginner.

Kaydee
10-06-2006, 10:27 AM
This might be a silly question, but what is a lifeline?:??

knitqueen
10-06-2006, 10:38 AM
You can find a video for inserting a lifeline here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) under 'Fixing Mistakes'. A lifeline is a piece of waste yarn that is threaded through the stitches of a row, so that in the event of needing to unravel, it will only go to that point and putting stitches back onto your needle is easily done, with no risk of dropping or missing stitches. VERY helpful in lacework where it is difficult at best, or even impossible to get the stitches back on properly.

Old Knitter
10-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Look here:

Life Line (http://www.knittinghaven.com/lifeline.html)

Kaydee
10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Now that I've seen it, I'm defiantly going to put lifelines in there. Such an easy thing to do and it would've saved me lots of time if I knew it before. Thanks!!! :muah:

aineepooh1
10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Kaydee
Congratulations on becoming an auntie!! You are goiing to love it... but be warned money will mysteriously dissapear from you purse when you go to the store...HHMMMMmmm OOhhh no wouldn't that just look precious on Cammie, Ohh, Cammie needs a new dress, Cammie needs a new toy and that one is sOOOO educational!!, OOhh we need a new family photo taken, new parents have so many expenses.. OOhhh I'll just buy it for them !! HMmmmm You have been warned!!!

PS I am down south.. so I am not an auntie down here.. I am an AINEE (A-KNEE) (henceforth, my screen name!!!) :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jenelle
10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Congrats on becoming an aunt! :hug: :muah:

What blanket pattern are you using?