PDA

View Full Version : Socks

orcoastknitter
10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I have knitted only 2 pairs of socks. The first pair came out ok, the second pair weren't as good (two different lengths). I was thinking of using a marker along with a row counter so that I get pretty even length for both socks. Even though I am just doing a simple 2 x 2 rib pattern. Does anybody else do this?

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I just started knitting socks recently, but I'm already on my fourth pair. (They really are addictive!) I've been doing them two at once, in a large part to make sure they both come out the same. (I also fear the dreaded second sock syndrome.) No row counting to worry about at all. You might want to give it a try. :P

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
tell me more about doing two socks at once. maybe it's as simple as starting both at the same time?? I started my first pair of socks last night

Old Knitter
10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Is it the foot part or the cuff that is different?

And........I have to ask.......where was your measuring tape?

I'm sorry....did that sound like your Mother?

Denise in Michigan
10-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm a ruler/tape measure person myself except when I have to match up edges row by row for finishing purposes. Therefore, on socks, I measure rather than count rows.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
tell me more about doing two socks at once. maybe it's as simple as starting both at the same time?? I started my first pair of socks last night

I've been doing my socks toe-up on magic loop (one long circular) but there is also a way to do it with two circular needles as well. (I think some people also just have two socks on DPNs at the same time.) You can also choose either top-down or toe-up with either method. Which do you prefer?

brownishcoat
10-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Here are photos of my Two At Once, Toe-up Magic Loop socks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brownishcoat/tags/momssocks/

rebecca
10-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I often knit socks in tandem, my preferred method when knitting with dpns. When knitting with 2 circs I don't like knitting both socks on the same 2 circs, so I now knit both socks in tandem, on 2 circs, but each sock has it's own 2 circs.
I normally knit the cuff of one sock, then the cuff of the other; then the leg, heel, so on.
When I've not knit socks in tandem I both count rows and/or measure the socks, depends on the pattern as to which way I go for measuring. If it's a simple pattern, I normally measure with a tape, if it's an intricate cable or lace pattern I usually count rows.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Here's (http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/sockknittingresorces-/) a good resource for socks. And here's (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/toesheels.html) another.

I've been following the basic technique given in "2 toe up socks on one circular" but I use the "Turkish Cast On for the Magic Loop, 2 socks at once" instead of figure 8. I've been mixing it up with the toes and heels to figure out which ones I like. It's really fun. :thumbsup:

orcoastknitter
10-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Is it the foot part or the cuff that is different?

And........I have to ask.......where was your measuring tape?

I'm sorry....did that sound like your Mother?

The kitty was playing with the measuring tape. :pout: :wink:

I measured the cuff, it was the rest of the sock that turned out a little short. Thus making the 2nd sock shorter than the first.

I think I am going try the next pair using a row counter. It may slow me down just a bit, but I think it will worth it.

I would like to learn how to knit socks using the magic loop. There isn't really a class on how to use the magic loop where I live. I have hard time following written instructions. I am more of a hands on type of student.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I would like to learn how to knit socks using the magic loop. There isn't really a class on how to use the magic loop where I live. I have hard time following written instructions. I am more of a hands on type of student.

Amy has a video on the site. That's how I learned. :P

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM

You can also choose either top-down or toe-up with either method. Which do you prefer?

:teehee: I don't have a preference - just started my first pair last night. I'm a spinner & crocheter but have seen such beautiful knitted socks that I have to give it a try! This pair is a top-down.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
:teehee: I don't have a preference - just started my first pair last night. I'm a spinner & crocheter but have seen such beautiful knitted socks that I have to give it a try! This pair is a top-down.

I ended up listing a couple of links if you look a few posts up. They both list all kinds of options. (I gave my preference, too, though as you probably already know, there are a million ways to knit socks.)

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh my - all new acronyms & tools to learn.

I don't know if I'm scared or excited!!!
:??

orcoastknitter
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Ok, I think I might become brave and try the magic loop as shown on Amy's video. However, what length cable should I get? I already have pair of KP's classic circular, I believe sizes 2 & 3 24 inch long cables. Do I need shorter? If so, that will mean I have to place an order with Knit Picks. :teehee: Of course I will need practice yarn as well.

brownishcoat
10-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Try it on the ones you have, but you might want to go longer. I did mine on a 40", but the 32" in the fixed circs might be long enough. I have 0, 1 and 3 in 32" and I've been meaning to try them.

samm
10-05-2006, 07:03 PM
I measure, and when the sock looks and measures about right, I count the rows. Works for me! I must try the two are once. samm

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm using the 32" KP classic circs and I think they're just about right for 2 on ML. I think the 24" would be too crowded with 2 socks, though they'd probably be fine if you want to use the 2 circs method.

orcoastknitter
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm using the 32" KP classic circs and I think they're just about right for 2 on ML. I think the 24" would be too crowded with 2 socks, though they'd probably be fine if you want to use the 2 circs method.

:??

If I just want to knit one sock using circs, do I need 1 or 2 sets of circs? And what is ML?? :??

:D

brownishcoat
10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
If I just want to knit one sock using circs, do I need 1 or 2 sets of circs? And what is ML?? :??

:D

You can do it either way (1 or 2 circs) and ML is Magic Loop. To use 1 circ, you will need to use the Magic Loop method.