PDA

View Full Version : I have a tiny confession....

brendajos
10-05-2006, 11:41 PM
The other day I had a certificate for some free yarn after I turned in my full SABLE card. I had been coveting the Misti Alpaca chunky my LYS had by the front door every time I went in there so I decided to get a few hanks to make a supah yummy scarf. So tonight I started making it even though i wasn't done with my beautiful Malabrigo scarf. I just wanted to play with it...I know you know!

So I knit with it for a while while i watched TV, surfed, ate dinner, etc. I finally just decided it was time to start heading to bed but i felt the need to pick up the malabrigo to knit a few rows before heading off.

:oops:

I don't love it neeeeeeeeearly as much as the Misti Alpaca now! :wall:

how is that possible?!!?!

:pout:

callmesusan
10-06-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm so glad you posted this! I keep hearing about MMMMMMalabrigo and how soofffft it is and I keep wonder just how soft--my skin is very sensitive. I am a HUGE fan of Misti Alpaca and now you have answered my question! Thanks

brendajos
10-06-2006, 01:29 AM
don't get me wrong....i still love my malabrigo and will likely forget this horrible revelation tomorrow when i wake up but i would have to say that the misti alpaca was softer (i am using chunky)....i don't think that i would trade the malabrigo for it in the long run though. the malabrigo colors are better and you get more yardage for your money.

i am gonna sleep it off! ;)

Ingrid
10-06-2006, 07:56 AM
It's OK not to decide Malabrigo is the best. I find alpaca to be softer--slicker, if you know what I mean. Malabrigo is lovely, but there are other nice yarns out there, too. Don't feel bad, we don't profit from the sale of Malabrigo.

Old Knitter
10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
We're just a fickled group.....we all do have favorites.....for a minute!

candicane
10-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I love the malabrigo and I am wearing my wrap today (yeah for cold weather!) and it is super cozy and soft. I will buy more. However I love Plymouth Grande Baby Alpaca maybe just a smidge more. Although it is almost twice as expensive. The plymouth is soft, silky and fluffy all at once.

Candice

dustinac
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
:waah: I thought the misti was gonna be a hat :biting: :rofl:

brendajos
10-06-2006, 09:48 AM
it probably will be a hat too....but for MEEEEEEEEEEEE...lol

kemp
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
I :heart: :heart: Mmmmmmmmmmmm, but I love Catalina Baby Alpaca Chunky more...pretty hard to beat baby alpaca for softness!

10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't love it neeeeeeeeearly as much as the Misti Alpaca now! :wall:

how is that possible?!!?!

It's alright brendajos, I too like the Misti Alpaca much better than the Malibrigo. I saw the malibrigo for the first time last weekend and I don't think its as yummy as the Misti. :heart: I am making the Irish Hiking scarf with it and OMG :shock: it's unbelieveably soft.

I thought there was a slight itch to the malibrigo. There is no itch to the Misti, though!! :cheering: :cheering:

mwedzi
10-06-2006, 10:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with having a new love. The heart wants what it wants. :)

I still love Malabrigo more. I got a hank of Misti Alpaca in that chunky size as a gift. It's so soft to touch by hand, softer than Malabrigo, but it definitely feels itchier on my neck than merino. I kept trying to make neck things from the Misti, the most recent being a neck warmer of my own design, but no matter how I do it, it seems I feel more prickly hairs scratching my neck than with merino. I'm just convinced that alpaca itches me more now, no matter how soft it feels on my hand.

rebecca
10-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I must say, I love a new yarn each and every time I walk into a yarn shop! For example, when I was in one of our shops last week, I fell head over heels for this lovely little hank of silk yarn. I'm afraid I don't know the brand, though, Lonnie didn't want to linger this day, so I just grabbed the needles we were after and left and I didn't even get the name :doh:

Quiara
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I, too, love Misti baby alpaca chunky. But I'm having a hard time finding a good hat pattern for it. (It wants to be a hat; it told me so.) I just pet it and reassure it that we'll work something out. But I'm afraid my chunky baby alpaca is getting depressed in its center-pull state; it's longing for its metamorphosis and I am doing my best to help it in its journey. Any suggestions? If all else fails, I'll just grab some size 10 1/2 needles and start knitting, but I'd like to know if anyone else knows of any patterns that could help my yarn realize its inner hat-ness.

brendajos
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
hmm...well I am making the ruffles and ribs scarf that is on their website....I am thinking i will just make a roll brim hat with the left overs though. mostly because that is my favorite hat to do.

10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
(It wants to be a hat; it told me so.) I just pet it and reassure it that we'll work something out.

:rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for the giggle... :teehee:

Amber
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh great, now I'm gonna have to get some Misti Alpaca. See what you people do to me!???

:teehee:

Stiney
10-06-2006, 02:48 PM
We introduce you to wonderful things that make you happy. :teehee:

aineepooh1
10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I am so glad to know that I am not the only who is knitting when they should be sleeping!!About a week ago I was in one of my "I'll just knit for 20mins " mood and ended up knitting til 2:30am

speaking of loving your yarn: I use acrylic because I am a beginner as well, I usually knit in bed so one night I was knitting and in the morning I was sleeping on my yarn bag instead of my pillow. I was loving it in my sleep. when I woke up and saw what I had done .. I couldn't stop laughing at myself!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Indygirl
10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, I was just reading away on this thread. It makes me want to run out and buy some 'Misti Alpaca' and "Malabringo. I have never even touched Malabringo. I bought some really soft yarn from Web's a few weeks ago. It is Suri Merino-Plymouth Yarn. OMG, It's sooo soft. I can't believe anything could be any softer. I got a great price on it too. I'm starting a sweater for my DD with one color. not sure about the other. I LOVE WEB's. See what you think :happydance: The color is off a bit in these pic's.

aineepooh1
10-06-2006, 09:30 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: the colors

especially the red!!! :inlove:

geekgolightly
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I must say, I love a new yarn each and every time I walk into a yarn shop! For example, when I was in one of our shops last week, I fell head over heels for this lovely little hank of silk yarn. I'm afraid I don't know the brand, though, Lonnie didn't want to linger this day, so I just grabbed the needles we were after and left and I didn't even get the name :doh:

oh oh oh! it might be the debbie bliss silk. (http://www.woolnthings.com/images/yarns/pure_silk.jpg) the DB silk is a little hank and i saw many pastel colors and when i touched it i about m e l t e d! i dont know what excuse i can come up with to buy it...( what can you make in this silk) but as soon as i come up with a rationalization to buy this yarn, im definitely going to.