PDA

View Full Version : Baaaa

yarnfreak
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay, I have Bob the sheep sitting in a bag in my living room. Okay, it's actually not a real sheep, just his wool. I misordered or something, and ended up with this dirty, greasy, smelly mess. It's an adventure!! I'm not that upset, but I have no idea how to prepare this. Any ideas, besides paying attention to what I'm doing in the future?

Julie
10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
:roflhard:

(sorry, no advice, not laughing at you, I'm laughing WITH you ;) )

Liliyarn
10-07-2006, 02:22 AM
:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

OMG....Well, when you go for spinning you go the full mile.

Step 1) Sort the fleece
Skirting the fleece - shake it, remove the really yucky stuff at the rear end. Remove the second cuts (sheared twice short parts)
Then sort by the dirtiness factor. Pile for really dirty to fairly clean. This prevents dirtying up your clean wool in washing.
You can go further and sort by finess or fiber quality. The best wool usually comes from the top shoulders behind the neck. Then just to either side of his back bone.

Step 2) Only wash a pound or two at a time. Place in mesh bag.
Avoid agitation or temp changes, running water on wool....wool felts even in this stage.
Use mild dish detergent no laundry soap.
http://www.colouredsheep.org.nz/spin/spinscour.html
http://spinningspiderjenny.blogspot.com/2006/09/scour-that-fleece.html

Step 3) Dry it on mesh racks or something similar

Then all the carding, combing or picking begins....

If it were me, I'd look into sending it to a mill. I'm lazy that way though.

And you've got to let me know how this turns out! You've got a project and half ahead....

yarnfreak
10-07-2006, 05:34 AM
This very well may get stuffed in the closet until I feel a bit more sure of myself. I'll be reading what I'm ordering VERY carefully from now on. No more just hitting the send button! LOL. Oh well, guess it's a learning experience.

Liliyarn
10-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I've never gotten a fleece to prepare myself because we really don't have a place to keep it. DH isn't into unclean barn animals in our home, so that is out of the question. I kindda agree. He does see however that when you do something from start to finish "It's truly yours. You made it." That's the appeal.

Sorting isn't difficult, it's just time consuming. You can do this! Take baby steps. However, after sorting and washing you'd need to have combs, carders, and such.

I prepare my own pet fibers. :thumbsup:

feministmama
10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
This very well may get stuffed in the closet until I feel a bit more sure of myself. I'll be reading what I'm ordering VERY carefully from now on. No more just hitting the send button! LOL. Oh well, guess it's a learning experience.

Oh oh. Won't it get moldy or something sitting in a closet? What's the best way to store this kind of thing? :??

itsbecca1979
10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Space bags! :roflhard:

yarnfreak
10-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Oh oh. Won't it get moldy or something sitting in a closet? What's the best way to store this kind of thing? :??

Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't think so, but then again, I'm the idiot that ordered this in the first place! LOL

Silver
10-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I've had some raw fleeces stored for over a year with no problems. Just keep it inside (not in the garage or anything), bag it up well along with some cedar chips, moth balls or lavender sachets to discourage bugs, and forget about it.

When you pull it out again, it'll feel stiffer than you remember. The grease will harden over time, but when you wash the fleece, it'll all come out and leave you with soft, clean wool. :)

mullerslanefarm
10-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I've stored raw fleece for quite a while before processing it. Now I will at least get it scoured (washed) before storing. When the lanolin gets old and hard, it's just harder to get out. Besides, less bugs when you're storing clean fleece.

I use my washing machine using this type of method:

http://gfwsheep.com/washingwool/woolwashing.html

Here are a couple more for your to peruse:
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/wash_fleece.shtml
http://www.icelandicsheepworld.com/washingfleece.htm

What type of wool did you get? (breed os sheep) Got any pics? I may be willing to trade you some prepared fiber for it, depending on what it is and what kind of shape it's in.

yarnfreak
10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
What type of wool did you get? (breed os sheep) Got any pics? I may be willing to trade you some prepared fiber for it, depending on what it is and what kind of shape it's in.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to at least give it a try. At least I can say I tried, and if it works out, I it'll open up a great deal more in my fiber choices. Besides, then it truly is homemade! LOL Thanks for the sites, too.