PDA

View Full Version : I must be insane...

Eloewien
10-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I just frogged over half a sweater.... :wall: :pout: :thud: :gah: (sorry for the emoticon overkill, but I really am frustrated!!)
This is the first time I have frogged a large piece, and it was painful! I'm working on the StitchDiva simple knitted bodice, and I decided I didn't like how high the lacework ended up-- it's supposed to be below the bustline. Unfortunately, the pattern seems to be written for those... less busty so to speak. The lace started about 3" too high. So I frogged... and frogged. Now to add 3" of stockinette before the lacework. So much work is gone...
I'm not losing hope, just very very frustrated, and I know my husband will think I'm nuts. I'm just putting too much work and love for this pattern into this, and I want it just right. Is that completely insane? I want it to be something I'll wear, and if it doesn't fit right, what was the point? I guess I just want to know that I am not *completely* insane... only a perfectionist, I hope.

Laura

dustinac
10-06-2006, 09:30 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you had to frog it.. but I'm glad you found it out now and not when it was done.. I have had to frog a finished sweater before cause I didn't like it...to this day I can't bring myself to re do it... we have all been there and its always the same feeling... your not insane or we all are :?? :teehee:

Good Luck on the next try and can't wait to see the finished photo!!

Ingrid
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
You did the right thing. I've done it myself. What's the point of continuing even when you were unhappy with it? You'd regret it in the end, believe me.

aineepooh1
10-06-2006, 09:35 PM
:hug: :hug:
hang in there!!! I have never done anything large like a sweater but I notice mistakes in my scarves/and my WIP my first knitted hat!!
I absolutely understand what you mean when you say: why knit it it I am never going to wear it!!!
:notworthy: :notworthy: You are a wise (though pained) woman!!!

snowbear
10-06-2006, 10:39 PM
You did the right thing... It's just like sewing.. if you bought fabric, cut it out & it didn't fit... you would alter it... well, in knitting you alter the fabric also, just a different way.. I know how hard it is.. But I know you'll be glad in the long run.. As for your hubby... remind Him you choose him over all others, that you're not picky, just very selective, and want only the best...lol

blueeyes28
10-07-2006, 07:29 AM
I have also done that I had to frog every bit of my sweater all that it needed was a collar and sleeves when I realized it was just too snug for me so I frogged it all and cast back on later that night there was alot of :wall: and :!!!: and now I have everything done except half of 1 sleeve and I decided I don't like the color or the way it feels :grrr: now I want to make the same sweater with malabrigo in this pretty blue/green colorway ahhhhhh!

janelanespaintbrush
10-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I think it's pretty much par for the course. I've frogged an almost completed sweater, and even a couple of fully completed hats and socks (among lots of other things), because I wasn't happy with them. It's necessarily not a good thing for the yarn (my sock yarn was getting really splitty by the time I frogged and restarted a heel five times yesterday), but if I didn't do it, I know it would bug me later. I think we'll all like that to some extent. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Eloewien
10-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I guess it was worth it-- below, you'll see the before and after, I much prefer the after!!

Ingrid
10-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Much better!! See? It was sooo worth it!

HollyP
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I guess it was worth it-- below, you'll see the before and after, I much prefer the after!!
Way to go! Frogging can be so painful but the result was totally worth it!

BTW Go Hokies!!!! Which part of Sw VA do you live ? My SIL is from Giles county. Both she and my bro went to Tech.

Eloewien
10-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Pulaski, VA actually. I work in Christiansburg any my DH works at VT :) And I have season tickets...

I started a SW VA Knitting group on yahoo- Giles is really close. You may want to tell her about it-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swvaknitters/

Even if she just wants to learn-- or if anyone else out there is in the area- feel free to join!

Laura