PDA

View Full Version : God loves us pumpkins!

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Being God's child is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff -- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for all the world to see.

Braden
10-08-2006, 03:08 PM
That is really inspirational. Thanks it's nice to be able to know that you can give all your troubles to Him and trust him to lead you through everything. Thanks for that.

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
You're welcome! I love it too. I just received it in an email from a good friend.

rebecca
10-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Sandy, that's beautiful, and oh, so true!
Thanks for sharing!

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 06:23 PM
You're welcome, Becka! :heart: :muah: :heart:

geekgolightly
10-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I've always wanted to ask and I hope that you arent offended... but as Christians do you have a problem with celebrating Hallowe'en? Do any Christians?

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Some Christians (the fundamentalists) REFUSE to celebrate Halloween, because they believe that Halloween encourages worshipping the devil.

I don't feel that way, though. I think it's an innocent festival. I think it all depends on your attitude.

By the way, I don't consider it to be a holiday ("holy day"), but I think it's a fun day for family events.

The day after Halloween, "All Saints Day" is a holy day in the Christian faith. It is a day to remember those who have passed away.

geekgolightly
10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I would still like to hear from anyone about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Halloween (IPA pronunciation: [hlə'win], [hlo'win]) is an observance celebrated on the night of October 31, most notably by children dressing in costumes and going door-to-door collecting sweets. It is celebrated in much of the Western world, though most common in Canada, the United States, Puerto Rico, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and with increasing popularity in Australia and New Zealand. Halloween originated in Ireland as the pagan Celtic harvest festival, Samhain. Irish, Scots and other immigrants brought older versions of the tradition to North America in the 19th century. Most other Western countries have embraced Halloween as a part of American pop culture in the late 20th century.

The term Halloween, and its older spelling Hallowe'en, is shortened from All-hallow-even, as it is the evening before "All Hallows' Day"[1] (also known as "All Saints' Day"). In Ireland, the name was All Hallows' Eve (often shortened to Hallow Eve), and though seldomly used today, it is still a well accepted label. Halloween was also sometimes called All Saints' Eve. The holiday was a day of religious festivities in various northern European pagan traditions, until it was appropriated by Christian missionaries and given a Christian interpretation. Halloween is also called Pooky Night in some parts of Ireland, presumably named after the pca, a mischievous spirit.

Halloween is sometimes associated with the occult. Many European cultural traditions hold that Halloween is one of the liminal times of the year when the spiritual world can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent (e.g. Catalan mythology about witches).

geekgolightly
10-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Some Christians (the fundamentalists) REFUSE to celebrate Halloween, because they believe that Halloween encourages worshipping the devil.

I don't feel that way, though. I think it's an innocent festival. I think it all depends on your attitude.

By the way, I don't consider it to be a holiday ("holy day"), but I think it's a fun day for family events.

ok, cool.

Lots of people do consider it to be a holy day.. or the day preceeding a holy day.

Yeah, I would think that some people would have a hard time with it. Letting out the spirits and all...

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 06:36 PM
I used to do an organ concert for Halloween/All Saints Day. I would perform organ and piano pieces, and the pastor would read stories about the martyrs who died for the Christian faith.

I'm not doing it this year, because last year's attendance was not what I anticipated. I guess I'll get to relax and have fun this year! :)

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Halloween is also called Pooky Night in some parts of Ireland, presumably named after the pca, a mischievous spirit.

Pooky Night! :rofl:

I think I'll call it that from now on. I DO have an Irish heritage after all! :mrgreen:

Julie
10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Pooky night :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm a Christian and we do celebrate Halloween...I don't make a humongous deal out of it, positive or negative. Many Halloween traditions came from Christian tradition, many came from pagan tradition...we just stick with the fun stuff. :D

Do I like that in every store that we visit, there are huge displays of nasty gory scary gooky monsters that scare the crap out of my tiny kids? Absolutely not....but that has nothing to do with my faith. It is what it is...we take the fun, innocent parts and leave the rest.

They're soooo excited, it's freakin' adorable :D

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
The kids ARE precious, aren't they?

Here's a photo of my kids when they were little. They went as shepherds, because we couldn't afford to buy a costume that year. Noah is on the left....he was singing! Josh is on the right.

They are 19 and 21 now. :noway:

aineepooh1
10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Those pics are great to embarass your kids by!! :roflhard:
I am down south and down here it can be called
Happy Harvest or a Fall Festival depending on the church. Naturally as you get more rural it gets more stringent as what they will allow in church
I personally am not offended by it becasue children love to make believe and dress up and it's a great time for them to use their imaginations.
Although, I am noticing fewer and fewer parents are taking their kids trickor treating.. or even dressing them up.
some go to community/church fall festivals and some famiies don't celebrate it all!!! :?? :??

aineepooh1
10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
shandeh
why did you change from carolina red?? :??

Shandeh
10-08-2006, 10:56 PM
shandeh
why did you change from carolina red?? :??

When I first joined the KH forum, I wanted to be "Sandy", but that name was already being used by someone else. So, I chose "Carolina Red" because I live in North Carolina, and I am a redhead.

But, lots of people thought I was an NC State fan, or a University of South Carolina fan. But I'm not a fan of either.

Lots of people in the forum were calling me "Shandeh" because I told them that I've always been crazy about Sean Connery. I said that if he ever met me, he would call me "Shandeh" because of his Scottish accent. :teehee:

I like being called "Shandeh", so I decided to change my name to that. :D

dustinac
10-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm a Christian and we let the kids dress up and get candy too... only thing I have against Halloween is that it scares me lol I'm a scardy cat.. so I don't like the scary movies that are played or the scary houses :rofl: we use to go growing up and I wouldn't go to the scary houses no matter how good the candy was or if my dad said he would go with me.. no way lol... this will be our first year going up here we usually go back to WV for it..

we passed a house this morning to the bus stop that was all decorated with the monsters and skeletons.. my son was like cool can we do that? I told him but we have pumpkins and scarecrows lol couldn't tell him no cause mommy has fear issues even with the decorations... :oops:

ETA: I love the pumpkin story I had read that before

Shandeh
10-09-2006, 08:40 AM
I am planning on having a Halloween recital for my students at a local nursing home. I try to do this every year. Some of my students go there, wearing their costume, and they play some pieces just for fun. The nursing home residents love it, because they don't get to see children in costumes anymore.

One of my students will not be participating because of their beliefs. Their family does not celebrate Halloween. I'm not critical of them, because we are all entitled to our own beliefs and personal choices.

dustinac
10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
One of my students will not be participating because of their beliefs. Their family does not celebrate Halloween. I'm not critical of them, because we are all entitled to our own beliefs and personal choices.

:thumbsup:

DotMom61
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
:waving: Christian Halloween celebrators here!!!

In my opinion, celebrating Halloween has just become a fun time for the kids. It doesn't have anything to do w/ our faith. The kids love dressing up & running around the neighborhood w/ their friends. And, thankfully, we live in a neighborhood where it's OK for them to do this!!! :thumbsup:

That said, I really don't like the gory, scary costumes. So, I don't enourage them, and quite frankly, my kids don't usually want them anyway. Both kids have been either Harry or Hermione for more than one year, though. :rollingeyes: So original.

:?? I guess we need to get rolling on costumes, eh? :gah:

BTW ... Since we homeschool, I was considering doing a short lesson on the origins of Halloween. We enjoy learning the history of things like this!

Shandeh
10-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I really don't like the gory, scary costumes. So, I don't enourage them, and quite frankly, my kids don't usually want them anyway. I guess we need to get rolling on costumes, eh? :gah:

I don't like those scary costumes either. I guess I'm a big baby. I don't like scary movies either. When the commercials come on television for those movies, I change the channel. I get scared out of my wits from just the commercials!! :pout:

When my boys were little, I would sometimes buy patterns and make costumes for them. They were Power Rangers one year. Another year, I made Batman and The Flash. And once, they were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was fun to make the costumes, but a lot of work! I usually got my mother to help.

cheesiesmom
10-09-2006, 01:31 PM

I guess I just don't get the fundamentalists/born agains or whatever you want to call them. (BTW I was born and raised roman catholic and attend a very mainstream lutheran church now if I need to validate my credentials.) Aren't Christians SUPPOSED to visit the sick and perform acts of charity and kindness. Your student could participate w/o the costume and play something appropriate. :??

Mo0nAngel
10-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Amen to that Sandy!! :D :hug: :hug:

DotMom61
10-09-2006, 02:00 PM
When my boys were little, I would sometimes buy patterns and make costumes for them. They were Power Rangers one year. Another year, I made Batman and The Flash. And once, they were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was fun to make the costumes, but a lot of work! I usually got my mother to help.

Me too. I've done a bear, dalmation, dinosaur, turtle, lady bug, Buzz Lightyear, Bugs Bunny, a magician's cloak ... uh ... and I'm sure there are more. I loved doing them, but I'm *really* glad the kids are not into that anymore! They want to BUY them now. Which is fine by me.

:?? I thought I had pictures of some of these, but I can't find them. They must be pre-digital pics. Oh well.

Rennagayle
10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow! A group of christians who don't condemn and pass judgement on other christians who have fun at Halloween; and to think, I almost didn't click on this thread. :woot:

I can certainly understand and accept some christians taking a different stance on this, but so often, those who take that stance end up making those of us who don't feel looked down upon. :roll:

I loved dressing up in costumes as a kid, as did my own kids in turn. I've never felt like I'm "celebrating Satan" or his day. We just like dressing up and having fun. I LOVE watching all the kids come to my door for candy, especially the itty bitty ones. They're so cute. :mrgreen:

That said, if I ever felt like God was convicting me to stop, I'd do so; but I wouldn't try and force my convictions on others who did not feel that conviction. I think sometimes God has us do things to test our obedience to Him. I don't always pass that test. :thud: Fortunately, God always give me more chances. His love for me is great, and His mercies are new every morning. :hug:

Rennagayle
10-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh, I forgot to say, Sandy, now everytime I read your name, I'll be hearing hubba hubba Sean Connery's voice. :rofl:

VickiIL
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
We are Christians and participate in Halloween fun. I don't like the Gory, super scary stuff but we do enjoy dressing up and trick or treating. We have hosted a number of Halloween parties and the kids like that even more than trick or treating.

Julie...I love the idea of studying the origins of Halloween as a unit study. I may need to try and remember this for next year.

Shandeh
10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
I can certainly understand and accept some christians taking a different stance on this, but so often, those who take that stance end up making those of us who don't feel looked down upon.

SO true! I have felt that judgment and condemnation from other Christians many times in my life....especially when I was a single mother. It's like they thought I CHOSE for my husband to leave me. :roll:

I was raised in a church that was very critical of others, so I assumed that all churches would be the same. I was wrong. I have since been involved in other churches that were forgiving and loving.

My husband and I were each married before, and we are now invited to teach Sunday School and get involved in other ministries at the Methodist church. I'm so glad to find a denomination that loves and accepts everyone. I think it's the way Christianity should always be presented.