PDA

View Full Version : spool knitters

stitchwitch
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I am the only one who uses a spool knitter to make I-cords? I find it alot easier than the needle way and I like the looks of the cord. Is this considered cheating?1 :teehee:

SandraEllen
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
my grandma was telling me about this way of making i-cords. I think she had never heard of the other way of making them.

I've never tried it...

fluffypechey
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
:oops: I dont even know what you mean :teehee:

:hug: Sharon

stitchwitch
10-08-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/spool.htm

Here's a little diagram of one, notice the I-cord on the last diagram. I love mine, picked it up in Tennessee when I left my knitting at home and wanted something new to try. I can whip out a cord in a few minutes. I guess it's the old fashioned way of doing it.

fluffypechey
10-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh I see it can be done on a french knitting needle thingy.
So how do you do it if you are using regular needles?
:shrug:

:hug: Sharon

snephenie
10-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Ive never tried one, but to me it seems it'd take just as much time if not more with all the wrapping of the yarn and pulling over each other.

Denise in Michigan
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I've had and used one for 45 years and love it for cords!

Yarnlady
10-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Is this considered cheating?

There's no cheating in knitting! :P Spool knitting/corking is probably just about as old as knitting itself! :teehee: http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/corker.shtmlThe first thing I noticed when making my first Icord was it was a way to do spool knitting on needles. And the round loom knitting that has made a comeback is indeed just corking on a larger scale.

Stiney
10-09-2006, 11:35 AM
OMG I did that when I was a kid. Except, it was with a tinker toy, not a spool. My dad taught me how to do it, I think. I was like 7 or 8, I don't really remember much about it. I don't think I got very far on the project before I got bored. I should ask him about it...

CateKnits
10-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I had a slightly bigger plastic one that I used to make Barbie dresses. :teehee:

Stiney
10-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Hee. I don't want to talk about the Barbie dresses I used to sew (and I use the term loosely!) It's just better if we all forget about that...Though I did make a bag that came out pretty well, I think Grandma (who was a professional seamstress) helped a lot on that one.

Pink Dandelion
10-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I use the "clover wonder knitter" for i-cords that I make to felt (pretty much a knitting spool with a couple bells and whistles) . It's sooo much faster, at least for me. I hate making icords most of the time unless they're very small.