PDA

View Full Version : OT: recipe for "Amish Friendship Bread" Starter?

Denise in Michigan
10-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Many years ago, someone gave me a cup of starter for Amish Friendship Bread. I kept it going for a year or so, then stopped. I'd like to start it up again (I bake more often in cold weather!); it was fantastic! Does anyone have a recipe that they've used to make a new batch of starter? I've found some recipes online, but I'd prefer one from someone I knew (I know and trust you fellow-knitters)! :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 02:25 AM
I remember eating some that my friend's Mom made. I don't know how it'd compare to other recipes since I only had it that one time, but I remember thinking it was yummy. I'll see if I can get a recipe for you.

Celine
10-09-2006, 02:44 AM
When I lived in Alaska a friend gave me a jar of the starter too. I remember it being VERY SWEET. I did use Sourdough Starter more living up there which was not as sweet. :happydance:

HeatherFeather
10-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Amish Starter (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,194,156183-225206,00.html)

Sourdough (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-sourdough-starter/detail.aspx)

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Amish Starter (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,194,156183-225206,00.html)

Sourdough (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-sourdough-starter/detail.aspx)
Any comments about these particular recipes? (Since Denise said she wanted a recipe from a trusted source rather than just off the internet I'm assuming you've tried them.)

HeatherFeather
10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Ugg...that's what happens when I read the posts before the first cup o joe...sorry...I'll leave up tho, for any brave souls out there...

sorry!!!

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Ugg...that's what happens when I read the posts before the first cup o joe...sorry...I'll leave up tho, for any brave souls out there...

sorry!!!

No worries. I must have a latte every morning in order to function. (I like adding a little espresso to my milk and sugar.) I don't know what would happen if we ran out of beans. It's a staple in our house -- kinda like ice cream. :teehee:

Mmmm... some Amish friendship bread would go well with coffee, don't you think?

itsbecca1979
10-09-2006, 09:05 AM
The stuff I had was left in a huge freezer-type bag, and you just added stuff as needed and mushed it all in good. The actual recipe uses vanilla pudding mix as well.

ETA: OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THIS (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,159183-226207,00.html) is it!

mullerslanefarm
10-09-2006, 09:09 AM
1 cup each milk, flour, sugar for the starter. Directions are basically the same as listed in the first link above, but Day 5 is adding 1 cup each and Day 9 is adding 1 cup each and Day 10 is baking day. No pudding in my "Herman" recipe.

If I'm not planning on giving this away, I reduce the amounts to 1/3 to 1/2 cup each ingredient in the recipe.

HeatherFeather
10-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah!!! YUMMMMYYYYY

My father's moved in with us (NOT good), and I've lost a ton of weight, cuz of stress(bad), and since money is tight, I'm cooking more(good).....so..now that I'm on the right track, it's much harder to think about yummy things like this...I'd probably sit and eat the whole dumb thing...by.my.self..

This recipe went round and round at church that finally people went running the other way when we showed up with the bags.

And yes, the vanilla pudding one is scrumptious!!!

figaro
10-09-2006, 09:49 AM
This looks like something I want to try but anyone know if I could use Splenda instead of sugar? Hubby is a diabetic so if I made it with real sugar, he would not eat it, even one slice so I would be forced to eat the whole thing, well minus a slice or two for the kids. :teehee:

HeatherFeather
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
They do have a Splenda for baking....??? (I think)....

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
This looks like something I want to try but anyone know if I could use Splenda instead of sugar? Hubby is a diabetic so if I made it with real sugar, he would not eat it, even one slice so I would be forced to eat the whole thing, well minus a slice or two for the kids. :teehee:

My guess is that the sugar may be necessary for the dough to uh... develop. Can anyone confirm this?

Knitting-teacher
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
You have to excuse my lack of knowledge, but this sounds really intersting so I want to understand this.

If I don't want to have to give the starter away every ten days. The recipe should be.

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm milk (110 degrees)

Follow the recipe on the link up to Day 5
Day 5 is add 1/2 cup each flour, sugar, warm milk
Day 9 is add 1/2 cup each flour, sugar, warm milk
Day 10 is baking day

And I am not clear, on Day 10 do you use all the starter and start a fresh batch. :??

Christine

itsbecca1979
10-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Well typically on Day 10 you would separate out little batches to give away, but if you're not wanting to do that then you would just keep out enough for 1 starter batch and bake the rest (but gosh that would be an awful lot!) The link I posted is really super easy, I've never done one with yeast before, the recipe without the yeast ferments nicely :thumbsup:

losnana
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
FIGARO SAID _________________This looks like something I want to try but anyone know if I could use Splenda instead of sugar? Hubby is a diabetic so if I made it with real sugar, he would not eat it, even one slice so I would be forced to eat the whole thing, well minus a slice or two for the kids.

I haven't tried this particular bread, but I have often used regular Splenda in place of sugar in several different yeast breads. those recipes just had a little sugar or honey to feed the yeast though. The yeast couldn't tell the difference though.LOL With this much sugar, I think you'd be better off with the baking splenda. BUT isn't it half sugar and half Splenda or something?

Denise in Michigan
10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks to all--I really appreciate your replies! I knew I could count on knitters for assistance!

I did try the version of starter that called for yeast last fall, but the finished quick breads tasted and smelled different than those made with my "old" starter; the texture was quite different as well.

I think I'll try the starter mullerslanefarm posted without the yeast. There must be some wild yeast spores floating around in my kitchen that will inoculate my starter, eh? Yeehaw, giddyap wild yeast spores!

As for the Splenda questions, I think you could probably use it in the finished product, but not during the culturing process. I wonder if they could answer this on the Splenda website?

My recipe for using the starter is:

1 c starter
2/3 c oil
3 eggs
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 1/2 t cinnamon (I omit this when adding other flavorings, fruits, etc.)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder

Mix till smooth. Pour into 2 well-greased and sugared loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

To the above I suggest adding or substituting:

chocolate chip: 1 t vanilla, 6 oz mini-chips
chocolate chocolate chip: 1 t vanilla, 6 oz mini-chips, substitute 1/4 c cocoa for 1/4 c flour
cherries & vanilla: 1 small jar maraschino cherries drained and halved, 1 1/2 t vanilla
orange: 1 1/2 t orange flavoring, 1 1/2 t orange peel
spice: 1 t vanilla, 1/2 t each of nutmeg & ginger & allspice & cinnamon. can substitute brown sugar for white.
nuts, raisins, & allspice: 1 t vanilla, 1 t allspice, 3/4 c walnuts or pecans, 1/2 c raisins. can substitute brown sugar for white.
fruit & nut: 1 peeled & diced large apple, 1/2 c walnuts or pecans, 1/2 c raisins, 1 t vanilla, 3/4 t cinnamon, 1/2 t allspice. can substitute brown sugar for white.
pineapple-orange: same as "orange" above, except add 1 can drained crushed pineapple.

This is a fun recipe to play with! The additions/substitutions above are just ones I came up with--imagine what you could do!

nikic
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for posting these recipies, I'm going to try one this weekend.

I have no idea if Splenda would work or not. You could try a sourdough starter. :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
10-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm glad you found a recipe. I asked my friend about his Mom's recipe yesterday, but when I talked to him again today, he had forgotten to ask his Mom. (Figures.) Have fun!

Stiney
10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
You are all making me hungry!!! :pout:

brendajos
10-10-2006, 03:53 PM
okay i love to bake but here is something i have never heard of...."a well greased and sugared loaf pan."

is that the same as a greased and floured loaf pan....except with sugar?

and all the recipes say not to use metal....can you after you are done growing the stuff? my kitchenaid mixer is woefully neglected and would be sad if i used a different mixing bowl to mix up the bread!

itsbecca1979
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
is that the same as a greased and floured loaf pan....except with sugar?

Exactly! You just dust sugar in the pan and dump the excess!

losnana
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
The sugar dusting gives a slight crunch. No, not as much as a crunch, more of a crispy effect.

jdee
10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I love this thread. I remember my mother baking and sharing this bread. She got a bag of starter one year, and shared it several times. Finally, one year, we noticed that our family (us included) seemed to be up to thier eyeballs in bread and bread starter. :roflhard: I remember she and I baking up all that bread in an attempt to end the cycle. This was such fun!

Thanks so much for stirring up these memories. I lost my mom over two years ago, and I still miss her to this day, but I get so much joy from happy memories such as these.

Jan in CA
10-10-2006, 06:58 PM

My guess is that the sugar may be necessary for the dough to uh... develop. Can anyone confirm this?

On the Splenda site is says it can be used in quick breads and they have some recipes. I don't know about yeast breads though. :shrug:

Jenelle
10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Mmm this recipie sounds so good!

I've been talking to my mom about making it(downsizing the recipie) and she might let me.

Now, here's my questions. What do you do when you want to stop making it? Do you bake up what you have left? Can you freeze the dough?

figaro
10-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I also saw that about the quick breads but nothing else. I went ahead and emailed the company to see what they say. I asked them about other things so I am sure I will get a responce in a day or so.

itsbecca1979
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Jenelle, when it comes time to divide the starter to give away and bake what's yours, you could just bake all what you have, the bread freezes great!

Jenelle
10-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks!

Oh, another quick question. When you go to bake it, do you need to add anything else to it? Or can you grease and sugar your pan, slap some in there, and bake it like that?

HeatherFeather
10-11-2006, 06:28 AM
It is delish by itself, but I've added, apples, bananas, and choco chips before...all independantly tho....

Oh gosh, I think I "need" to make this...sigh...lol...

Denise in Michigan
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
and all the recipes say not to use metal....can you after you are done growing the stuff?

Yep, you can use metal to make the bread; just not in making, stirring, or storing the starter itself.

Denise in Michigan
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
What do you do when you want to stop making it? Do you bake up what you have left? Can you freeze the dough?

I learned recently that you can freeze the starter in one-cup batches in the freezer for up to 8 weeks, but I have never tried this. After you thaw it, you treat it as day-one starter and have to feed and let it grow before you use it.

Jenelle
10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
It is delish by itself, but I've added, apples, bananas, and choco chips before...all independantly tho....

Ohhh yum!

I wonder if peaches would be good with it.. :thinking: Now I might just have to make some. :teehee:

Denise in Michigan
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
I remember my mother baking and sharing this bread. This was such fun!

Thanks so much for stirring up these memories. I lost my mom over two years ago, and I still miss her to this day, but I get so much joy from happy memories such as these.

:heart: Home-made memories are the best! :hug:

Jenelle
10-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I learned recently that you can freeze the starter in one-cup batches in the freezer for up to 8 weeks, but I have never tried this. After you thaw it, you treat it as day-one starter and have to feed and let it grow before you use it.

Oh, okay. Thank you for letting me know! This would be a good way to put some back for christmas gifts.

Denise in Michigan
10-11-2006, 05:53 PM

Ohhh yum!

I wonder if peaches would be good with it.. :thinking: Now I might just have to make some. :teehee:

With peaches, I would leave out the cinnamon, add almond flavoring, and sprinkle sliced or slivered almonds on the top!

nikic
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I started mine last night!

I am using this recipe from AllRecipes.com: http://tinyurl.com/y6lf4h
They also have a variety of bread variations.

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups white sugar, divided
3 cups milk

ebrperk
10-12-2006, 05:52 PM
You can put it in a gallon sized freezer bag so you dont have to stir it at all just squish it everyday that needs to be stirred.

figaro
10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Splenda finally got back to me and this is what they said-
"SPLENDA(R) Granular will not activate yeast. You should maintain at least two teaspoons of sugar in recipes calling for yeast. The remaining sugar can be replaced with SPLENDA(R) Granular.

Some recipes, especially baked goods and desserts, may require structure and bulk that cannot be provided by SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener alone. For this reason, some of our recipes are adjusted to compensate for the loss of structure. They may also contain sugar-containing ingredients (eg. molasses, honey, chocolate syrup, etc.) that also contribute important flavor elements and improve texture."

So I think when I make this I will go ahead and use regular sugar and he can have 1 slice. I guess I will need to finish it off by my self! :shrug: :teehee: :rofl:

Jenelle
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I started mine last wednesday night. I can't wait to bake it this friday! :cheering:

itsbecca1979
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I do mi ne in the huge frezzer bags and just squish, and I get to bake mine some time tomorrow, hafta go get puddin' though :happydance:

Jenelle
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
I do mi ne in the huge frezzer bags and just squish, and I get to bake mine some time tomorrow, hafta go get puddin' though :happydance:

That's a good idea. It'll be easier to clean up and it takes up less space.

HollyP
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I started my starter last night! This is so much fun! I remember when I was a kid my mom's homemakers club passing it around.
I can't wait to get to bake and see if it is as good as I remember! Only nine more days.
I love fact that as you are getting ready to bake it you get to share the love in the form of a sarter with your friends and family!
Thanks for bringing this up! :muah: I had completely forgotten about AFB!

nikic
10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Let us know how it turns out! I'm doing a different recipe, and am on day 7. I think I can bake soon!!!

Denise in Michigan
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
We've got a bunch of KAL's going on here, but I never imagined I'd start a BAL (bake-along) with this thread! Thanks, folks; :muah: I wish I could have you all over for coffee and AFB and knitting!

Denise in Michigan
10-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow! I just noticed that over 1000 people have viewed this thread! I'm going to need a bigger coffeepot to have you all over! :teehee:

jodstr2
10-18-2006, 02:40 PM
We've got a bunch of KAL's going on here, but I never imagined I'd start a BAL (bake-along) with this thread! Thanks, folks; :muah: I wish I could have you all over for coffee and AFB and knitting!

thanks Denise! I want to try this too, this sounds so yummy! :heart:

"BAL!" :cheering: :happydance:

Jenelle
10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow! I just noticed that over 1000 people have viewed this thread! I'm going to need a bigger coffeepot to have you all over!
:teehee:

:teehee:

Tomorrow is baking day for me! :woohoo:

I can't wait to eat it. :drool:

Yarnlady
10-20-2006, 07:47 AM
I started mine last night! I am using this recipe from AllRecipes.com: http://tinyurl.com/y6lf4h They also have a variety of bread variations.

3 cups milk
This is the recipe I used and am on Day 3 today. I had a Hermann many years ago... I'm looking forward to using it to make pancakes as well as bread. :heart:

Friskums
10-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I think I forgot what day I'm on.... :help: :oops:

Jenelle
10-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Mines in the oven right now!

I couldn't finour bread pans, so I'm using this small, rectangular baking pan for it, and I have a little left over, so I took half an apple, chopped it up, stirred it in, and put it in some muffin tins. Yuuum! :heart: :drool:

Friskums
10-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Mmmm, this stuff is soooooooo good. :heart: :happydance: :heart:

HollyP
10-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I was just wondering which starter is every using? I am using the one w/out yeast since i didn't have any in the house. I hope it turns out! I guess I will find out on Thursday!

Jenelle
10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I was just wondering which starter is every using? I am using the one w/out yeast since i didn't have any in the house. I hope it turns out! I guess I will find out on Thursday!

I used the same one without yeast and it turned out great!

Friskums
10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
I had to buy everything anyway (not a big cooker :rofl: ) so I did the one with yeast.

Turned out great!

nikic
10-29-2006, 10:59 AM
I started mine last night! I am using this recipe from AllRecipes.com: http://tinyurl.com/y6lf4h They also have a variety of bread variations.

3 cups milk
This is the recipe I used and am on Day 3 today. I had a Hermann many years ago... I'm looking forward to using it to make pancakes as well as bread. :heart:

I made the bread today. (The version on AllRecipes.com) It's good but it's not great. I would not make it again.

It's way too much trouble for the result. I'd much rather just whip up a quick bread whenever I want.

I did have fun though!

Yarnlady
10-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I made the bread today. (The version on AllRecipes.com) It's good but it's not great. I would not make it again.

It's way too much trouble for the result. I'd much rather just whip up a quick bread whenever I want.
I made pancakes using the baking mix recipe on Allrecipes. They were good. Took the left over batter, added more baking mix and a few other things to make coffee cake. It was great!

I had an authentic Alaskan sourdough starter for years and this is much like it. It's not as exact as the directions give. Basically, it can be ignored for a couple of weeks in the fridge without harm. I like it cuz it reminds to do some baking at least once a week for the family. And I love sourdough bread.

Jouf
10-30-2006, 10:30 AM
There's over a thousand views cause Herman's been EVERYWHERE. I think it's dangerous to revive him. He's gonna take over.