PDA

View Full Version : Can I mix and match successfully?

cookworm
10-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Help! I'm on a time crunch to make some last minute gifts, and I need some quick advice.

I ordered just enough of Knit Pick's "Shimmer" (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420112/yarn_display) yarn (70% alpaca, 30% silk) for my project. After I got started I thought, "Wouldn't this look really pretty with a crocheted edging maybe and some freshwater pearls crocheted into the edging?" (For all practical purposes, what I'm making is similar to something like...let's say, a doily--decorative, that will not be used or worn out).

Well, I can't order any more of the Shimmer yarn because it will never get here in time--even if I expressed shipped it, I won't be able to finish the projects in time. So I wondered...since these are going to be gifts that are purely decorational and non-functional, is it possible to maybe crochet a cotton thread to the edge (maybe a pearl cotton?), stringing the pearls onto that? I'm a little concerned because the cotton doesn't have any "give" while the silk/alpaca Shimmer does, but once I block everything, will it matter? Again, these are purely for decorational purposes and I won't have to worry about if it will "wear" evenly because they're going to be decorative. What do you think?

jberry16
10-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I think it would be pretty but I've never worked with silk, call your lys.

Ingrid
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
My concern with mixing fibers is what will happen to them when they get wet for blocking. I tend to be cautious to a fault on this, so I haven't experimented. I think that before I committed to edging the whole thing, I'd make a small square, edge it, and wet it. See what happens to the different fibers.