PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed knitters feelin' left out?

Quiara
10-10-2006, 11:39 PM
You might find interest in a recent post by a woman I know named Diane. She's a lefty and has put a lot of work into the ways and whats and hows of left-handed knitting and how it's not the "wrong" way or "backward," just different. Ever wonder how to work a left leaning decrease with your particular knitting style? Twisting stitches and don't know why? Just want someone to show you in plain English (and pictures and video) how to do some of the more complex things that make your patterns go a bit more smoothly? Diane may have something to help you. She's trying to write a book and would love feedback. You can read her post about it here (http://knitmentia.blogspot.com/2006/10/left-handed-knitting-left-out-knitter.html).
Let her know what you think?

I appreciate any interested people, lefties or righties, taking a look. I think she has a really good idea for a very underrepresented section of our knitting family.

Thanks!

Pink Dandelion
10-11-2006, 02:24 AM
:thumbsup: So far that's one of the best 'articles' I've seen about us Leftie knitters.

I hope she finds someone to publish her book! :mrgreen: And I want to hear if she gets into IK!

humblestumble
10-11-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm not a lefty, but I did put down the needles for half a year, only to pick them back up and start knitting the lefty way. I started laughing when I realized what I had done, but it is pretty simple. There is definitely a market for this.

hellokitty165
10-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I am a lefty....but i knit with right hand :shrug: ....maybe the pattern mostly are for righty

Mama Bear
10-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Great article!

Mama Bear

Quiara
10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the input, everybody (and for looking!). Diane is a fabulous person and I really think she's got a good idea with this. I'm not even a lefty knitter, but her book could be useful for even righties who're intrested in learning both ways to knit. Or just for the illustrations of various stitches that form a flat fabric. She's put a lot of thought into this and I'm continually impressed. Anyway, thanks for everything!

1to1
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I just fowarded Diane's article onto my left-handed daughter's knitting/crocheting instructor (she teaches both left and right-handed). :notworthy: I'm thankfully DD had someone to help her learn it her way.

janie
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll be in line to purchase that book. We need more people like her on our side :)