PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite yarn to use for hats???

hillerkim
10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Hello all! Hope everyone is doing fantastic today!

Since it's so COLD here in WI (29 degrees at the moment :pout: and I spent a good portion of my morning having a heated (pun intended :teehee: ) discussion with my children about wearing warm clothing, my thoughts went to hats.

What are your favorite yarns to use to make hats?

Thanks guys! Stay warm!

janelanespaintbrush
10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I like a nice superwash merino yarn for hats. Merino because it's warm and not itchy, and superwash for easy care. Of course, I like it for sweaters too, for the same reason. :wink:

jessi_9783
10-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I like wool. I've made felted hats with Lamb's Pride Worsted to match felted mittens. I live in cold weather too and so I only make stuff for warmth that's why I choose feltable fibers. I'm about to make a roll brim hat with KP Swish for easy washing. This hat is a gift so that's why I've chosen Swish.

Julie
10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Baby hats = Cashmerino or Cashsoft DK.

Kid/adult hats = HPY merino 6-ply (http://handpaintedyarn.com/index.php?cPath=57&osCsid=7d8d2bcc0d2b7e4a99434ff51c309547). It's sooooo soft, knits up fast, and the colors are stunning! :heart:

Denise in Michigan
10-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Plymouth Encore, #1 choice. It's a wool & synthetic blend. Several weights, machine washable and dryable (good when you're making gifts), available many places and in lots of colors.

brownishcoat
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
My favorite yarn for anything is the yarn that's on sale. :shrug:

Quiara
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
My favorite right now is the handpainted baby soft merino I've got on the needles. ^_^ Ask me again when I cast on for the next hat.

hillerkim
10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
:muah:

Thanks you guys! I KNEW I'd get some great suggestions.

And janelanespaintbrush I LOVE your little comment in your signature. I have a husband that would do that very same thing! :tap: :D

I was toying with the idea of knitting a few but I'm SCARED of the double pointed needles TRYING to knit in the round. :oo: I figured I could use the one posted somewhere here that someone was nice enough to share. It looked pretty simple AND it wasn't in the round.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone! :notworthy:

Quiara
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Knitting in the round is wonderful! Once you try it, I'm sure you'll like it. Just remember, no matter what, you're only dealing with 2 needles at a time. Even if you've got a set of 5, you're only dealing with 2 at a time. If you need help, there are a million people here just waiting for you to ask.

Hats are addictive. At least they are for me. I get called "the Hat Queen" in my SnB group because I've always got one on the needles. I am with hats like some people are with socks.

janelanespaintbrush
10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
DPNs aren't the only way to do small diameter circular knitting. I like magic loop, and others like using two sets of circular needles. Amy has videos here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) I've made several hats and have never used DPNs. (Don't even own any.) Good luck!

hillerkim
10-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know what my problem is with double pointed needles. I always lose stiches or they fall off. It's a pretty sad sight.

But I will defiantely check out the magic loop when I get a moment.

Thanks for the help !!

K-K-K-K-K-Kim, f-f-f-f-f-freezing in WI! :teehee:

Stiney
10-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Bamboo needles are nice and "grabby" and stitches slide less.

You can also get needle point protectors and stick them on the ends of your DPNs so the stitches don't slide. I know some people also wrap hairties around the ends, and those work as stitch markers, too!

slgn
10-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I've used a few as I too am a hat addict.

The one I liked best for a gift (to my brother who has not concept for laundry much less what *not* to do with wool or other natural fibers) was Classic Elite Bazic wool [link (http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=3)]. It's machine washable wool, knits up like a dream and is soft. I'm completely in love (but not with the price, which is average but still... ). My next hat project will be in Knitpicks Swish so I'm hoping I like that as much or I'd settle for 'nearly as much' for the price.

My everyday (cool weather everyday) hat is in Manos which is pretty but also pretty itchy!

Jan in CA
10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
My favorite yarn for anything is the yarn that's on sale. :shrug:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I don't live in a cold climate, but I'd think you'd need something with a lot of wool to keep you warm.

samm
10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I like Galway, I think it is a Plymouth yarn. It felts wonderfully and knits nicely too. I don't find it itchy when it's cold out, and I itch easily! I've designed a quickly knit hat using doubled Galway yarn. Good for gifts! And my favorite mittens are felted Galway. Very warm indeed! samm

cara
10-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm loving the Patons SWS at the moment and have bought 4 different skeins to make hats as gifts... it is so soft and nice to knit with and 75% wool/25%soy for warm warm warm!! It stripes really nicely too!!

pauly81
10-15-2006, 03:28 PM
wool