PDA

View Full Version : new toys!!!

jberry16
10-12-2006, 03:32 PM
:woot: I'm so excited, my Dad made me a swift on Sat. and then asked today how it was working and I told him that I hadn't been able to use it because I needed a ball winder. :flirt: So he said, "Tools are a good investment, tell me how much they are and I'll give you the money to buy one because I don't want to be anywhere near a ball winder." :muah: So I went to my lys and bought one today (the last one) and he gave me extra money to buy Opal sock yarn! :woot: I am so excited, and so was my 2 year old because he got to help me put the yarn on the swift and then helped me wind in up into a ball. He's taking a nap now (my 2 year old) and I told him that after nap time we'd wind more. :happydance:
Also, I got the kp size 2.5 dpn and the simple stripes from kp in the mail today and wound it up. I'm so ready to bust out some socks!
:happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot: :happydance: :woot:

knitqueen
10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
What a great dad!!!! :hug: Your little guy looks SO excited, I love it!! :cheering:

Ingrid
10-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Isn't he a cutie!!

I love my winder and swift. Makes me feel so efficient. :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Looks your son is having (dare I say it?) a ball! Sorry, I couldn't resist...

I just got a budget (vintage) swift off ebay, but haven't received it yet. I don't have high hopes, but for the price, I couldn't resist. I actually like winding center-pull balls with my own hands -- I guess it's another way to enjoy the yarn. I just got the swift to try to prevent some of the @$!! tangles I've gotten in the past when trying to make do without.

Have fun winding some more when your little one wakes up! :cheering:

Stiney
10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I want a swift, but I don't mind winding the balls myself. I've actually been tempted to make a really ghetto one--find a length of wood, drive two nails into either end, and voila! Easy store, too, which is a must because I'm hoping to (finally) move away from home and have a teensy tiny apartment with no storage space.

kellyh57
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I have a winder but no swift. I didn't know what it was and had never seen a hank when I bought the winder. I've got hubby's hands for now. Next time I'm at my parent's I may have my dad help me make a swift though. It really doesn't look that hard.

My almost-4-year-old and 21 month old fight over who gets to turn the winder. Grant, the eldest, told the lady at the LYS that I yell at him when he turns it the wrong way :oops: Oh well!

Kelly

janelanespaintbrush
10-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Grant, the eldest, told the lady at the LYS that I yell at him when he turns it the wrong way :oops: Oh well!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stiney
10-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Kelly, I'm sure the lady understood. Yarn is very serious business!

jberry16
10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
I have a winder but no swift. I didn't know what it was and had never seen a hank when I bought the winder. I've got hubby's hands for now. Next time I'm at my parent's I may have my dad help me make a swift though. It really doesn't look that hard.

My almost-4-year-old and 21 month old fight over who gets to turn the winder. Grant, the eldest, told the lady at the LYS that I yell at him when he turns it the wrong way :oops: Oh well!

Kelly
I found my self yelling too, "you can't wind it the wrong way, it screws it up...STOP!!!"

hellokitty165
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
i m happie for you !!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Your boy looks so happie ...he is a charmer

CarmenIbanez
10-12-2006, 04:02 PM
My answer isn't on the pole (edited: HA! I mean POLL, too much nascar) :pout:
I only have a winder.

Sara
10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I got a swift for $2 at a rummage sale. Some lady got to the table before me and picked it up. She turned around, saw my face :pout: and asked did you want this? I said no, if she wanted it that was okay. She said she didn't know what it was, she was going to wrap her ivy plant around it. :shock: So I explained in great detail what it was and she handed it to me. :teehee:

I have only used it a couple of times since the yarn store is only a block from my house and I can use their swift and winder any time I want. :shrug:

Jax3303
10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a ball winder but not a swift. I :heart: my ball winder. I've been drooling over a cherry Oak swift they have at my LYS, maybe I can stop buying yarn long enough to save up to buy it :)

Jan in CA
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
That's awesome! Does your dad want to adopt me? :teehee:

jberry16
10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
That's awesome! Does your dad want to adopt me? :teehee:
He'd prolly be happy to adopt you, but we'd prolly have to share the swift and winder.

ebrperk
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
How did you dad make that one? I think my husband is handy enough to make one if he had directions.

jberry16
10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
How did you dad make that one? I think my husband is handy enough to make one if he had directions.
He used these plans I found online
http://www.craftydiversions.com/yarnswift.pdf#search=%22make%20it%20yourself%20yar n%20swift%20%22
said it was really easy, just a little time consuming drilling the holes with a flat bottom. He said you have to go slow so you dont crack the wood. I think he used oak. It sure works well, the only problem is that it doesn't fold up like the ones you can buy, I just store mine on top of the fridge.

mks22300
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Hmm...I know my mom has a ball winder but no swift...my dad is pretty crafty with wood working, I bet he could make one. :teehee:

Nikki
10-12-2006, 06:40 PM
What a great dad you have! Have you stopped doing the Happy Dance yet?

jberry16
10-12-2006, 06:45 PM
What a great dad you have! Have you stopped doing the Happy Dance yet?
not yet, well sorta, only when we're winding. :happydance:

orcoastknitter
10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I have both. I just got my swift.

I posted it about it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18955/). I don't know what kind of wood was used. I was told that if there are any rough spots to sand with them cardboard.

I absolutely love it! It beats using the backs of two chairs.

Gives me more time for knitting!

SandraEllen
10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I have a winder and DH promised that he's make me a tabletop swift for Christmas. I wanted an umbrella one, but I like to die yarn in bigger hanks than what fit on an umbrella swift.

I'm excited. =) Finally all the tools I buy for him will get me something!!

tmsl
10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
:muah: Oh my!!! Directions for a swift!!! My hubby is very good with wood working and needs a project. I have a ball winder but had not wanted to spend the money on the swift yet.

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

candicane
10-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I also have a vintage metal swift that clamps to the table sideways (instead of upright) from ebay. I clamped it to my coffee table and wound some yarn (by hand) while watching TV. I love it!

Candice