PDA

View Full Version : Blocking question

Louine
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
I am knitting a sweater using Plymouth Encore yarn that is 75% acylic and 25% wool. Should I block the sweater?

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 10:16 AM
That's a great question, because I've wondered that about blends myself. Since it's machine washable and dryable (according to yarndex), maybe you can see how it comes out of the dryer and decide then whether blocking would even be necessary.

Louine
10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Now that you have pointed out that the yarn does claim to be washable and dryable (not over 80 degrees---most dryers get hotter than that) I guess there is no need to block.

brownishcoat
10-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't block mostly acrylic sweaters per se, but I do take them out of the dryer when they are still a bit damp and lay them out to finish drying patted into the shape I want. They respond to that really well.

Old Knitter
10-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I've used Encore a lot and you don't have to block it. It's amazing how soft it gets once you wash and dry it. I use it for my grandchildren's sweaters. I like my daughter to be able to easily wash them and I try and convince myself the little bit of wool in them makes them a little warmer.

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I've used Encore a lot and you don't have to block it. It's amazing how soft it gets once you wash and dry it. I use it for my grandchildren's sweaters. I like my daughter to be able to easily wash them and I try and convince myself the little bit of wool in them makes them a little warmer.

Hey OldKnitter! (I feel kind of weird calling you that. :blush:) Another encore question for you... have you ever used it for socks? I want to make some thick cushy socks, and I was thinking that encore might work since it's got acrylic content (for durability) and is machine washable. My main concerns are that it might be too loosely spun, and that it doesn't have enough wool in it for effective sweat absorption. What do you think?

knitqueen
10-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I have blocked a similar blend yarn and it does work! It might not have the staying power that 100% wool has, once blocked, but if it is dried in whatever shape you want it, it will stay like that until washed again.

Old Knitter
10-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I used it for socks once and was not happy. They were suppose to be boot socks, but they weren't as warm as I wanted and they stretched in an odd way while you were wearing them.

But, for children's sweaters....perfect!

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I used it for socks once and was not happy. They were suppose to be boot socks, but they weren't as warm as I wanted and they stretched in an odd way while you were wearing them.

But, for children's sweaters....perfect!

Thanks, now I know! :muah: