PDA

View Full Version : 1st Knitting Class!

merryknitter
10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok Girls...if you all would have come with me and my friend, to our first knitting class, we could have all gotten rich off of sending in the video-tape to America's Funniest Home Videos! LOL!

Ok...I have learned so much from all of you...from reading your posts...watching Amy's videos, but I still needed to be shown "how to". Did anyone else here drop your needles a million times when you first started? I think we laughed more than we knitted!

Seriously, I don't think we had a very good teacher though...I asked her is she had any Malabrigo Yarn in her store and she had never heard of it! We were struggling and she wasn't a big help. I learned more from Amy's videos when I got home, than from this teacher. I am not going to give up and am determined to learn how to knit. It was a little awkward for me...holding that working yarn.

I am definitely going to buy Amy's DVD and so is my friend...can't wait till it comes out!

I have really enjoyed looking at all the neat things you all have knitted on the "Whatcha Knitting" posts...I've gone back to 2005 and looked at some of your projects.

I can't wait to feel more comfortable with my needles and yarn.

I told my friend that I thought we might get our washcloth knitted by Christmas...LOL!

Merry :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
10-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Dropped my needles when I was learning? Heck I dropped one today at Starbucks and I've been knitting for a year. :roflhard:

Between the videos and the class you should be knitting up a storm in no time! :cheering:

ebrperk
10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I still drop them and it is usually at a point where it is really hard to get it back in the pattern. Good luck with your dishcloth and keep at it. It does get easier with practice.

ann in ma
10-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the world of knitting! I learned this past August, and believe me, it does get easier. I mostly use circular needles now, and they are not as easy to drop :)

I also had a so-so knitting instructor at my first class, but everyone on this site is so helpful that I was able to progress pretty quickly.

Good luck, and make sure to post a pic of your first finished object!

Mo0nAngel
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I too learned this past august and my friend my first dish cloth is embarrasing!! :P its all crooked and stuff and of course I dropped my needles and keep on dropping them! :P so hang in there and trust me you'll learn in no time~~ :D I watched amy's videos tons of times before I started knitting just to make sure! :teehee:
Can't wait to see you're dishcloth! keep us updated! :D
:hug: :hug:
God bless!!
Rita M.

pauly81
10-15-2006, 03:21 PM
is the DVD just what she has on knitting help or is it differnt?

Sissy
10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Merryknitter,
It sounds like you had fun in the class.Keep practicing and you'll be knittin before you know it.Dont give up,there is always someone around that will help! :hug:

Georgiasmama
10-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I too went to my first lesson/class on friday! I was lucky enough to have an awesome teacher. haha she is use to teaching kids so maybe that helped hahahaha! Um yes, dropped my needle a few dozen times at first. But each time I pick them up to practice it just gets better.

haha you should see the start of my little swatch thing. it has holes and um it looks like its growing a boob out the side. I dont know what happened! I picked up an extra SIX stitches somewhere. BUt its looks much better now. I am back to the original 20 I started with. and it looks better from the top.

I can't wait to have the rest of my lessons. I am completely hooked! I just found this site too. just in the nick of time!

merryknitter
10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Girls...for all your encouragement! I found another LYS right here in our city...stopped down on Saturday and it is so awesome...it is in an old house and they have a coffee shop connected to it! There's a really big front porch out front and they sit outside and knit in the summer! I'm in Heaven...LOL! Isn't that cool? Anyways, the best part is that I met this lady that has been knitting since she was 3!!! She worked there and sat with me for over an hour...HELPING ME FOR FREE! She said we should have never been started on a pattern like that, nor using the kind of yarn we were using (cotton chenille)! And now I am knitting! What do you think about that? My friend that went with me to the original class was sooo frustrated too...so I told her all about this new shop and she's going with me Tuesday!

Donna ( lady at the LYS) gave me her cell number and told me to call her and she would meet me and my friend at the shop Tuesday afternoon and help us! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? This is so much fun!

I think I've decided to ask for the Knitpicks Options for my Birthday, which happens to be Christmas Eve....even though I don't have a clue what to do with them...LOL!

I LOVE THIS SITE! I'M SO GLAD I FOUND YOU ALL!

Merry :)

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Someone had you learning with cotton chenille!! :!!!: :!!!:

I'm glad you found someone who knows what they're doing!

One of the reasons I use circs almost exclusively is 1) when I'm home, one doesn't crawl into the couch when I'm not there and 2) when I'm at school and drop one it doesn't sound like a fire drill. :teehee:

merryknitter
10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Ingrid,
I have read so many of your posts and looked at your beautiful work! I look forward to learning alot from you!
Have a nice week,
Merry :)

dustinac
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
:cheering: Merry, so glad you found someone to help you and your friend!! You will be addicted to knitting soon.. I'm going to ask for the options for Christmas :rofl: Welcome to the forum!!