PDA

View Full Version : Sock Knitting - Which method do you prefer?

minnesota_girl
10-14-2006, 06:53 PM
I want to try to knit some socks. Which method do you prefer? Double pointed needles, 2 circular needles, 1 circular needle (1 sock at a time), or 1 circular needle (2 socks at a time)?

I'd also like to hear why you prefer a certain method. I know I want to do both socks at once, but I can have them on separate sets of needles. I am a beginning knitter. Since I will need to buy the needles anyway, I wanted to poll people to figure out which needles to buy and which method to try first.

I'd love needle recommendations, too.

Thanks!
Emily

knitqueen
10-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I do magic loop with one long circular, one sock at a time. I don't have a good relationship with dpns so that's why I prefer magic loop, and I do one sock at a time because I have a hard time keeping track of 2 balls of yarn, they get tangled, I don't enjoy it, and always go back to one sock at a time. I do, however, usually do the cuff of one sock, then the cuff of the second sock, the leg of one, the leg of the other, etc., that way they're still don't at virtually the same time just not on the same needle.

You can also do 2 socks on 2 circs (wasn't one of your choices).

Vendie
10-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I've only tried Magic Loop and dpns, and I think I prefer dpns. I'm not exactly sure why, but I like fiddling with 5 sticks. Maybe it's the fact that they freak people out?

aylaanne
10-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I :heart: double pointed needles. I just adore them.

brownishcoat
10-14-2006, 08:19 PM
I have done 2 socks on 2 circs, 2 socks on Magic Loop and most recently, 1 sock at a time on DPNs.

I prefer Magic Loop for a couple of reasons. It was extremely easy to knit both socks at once and my 2 balls hardly tangled at all. With 2 circs, there is an extra set of needles to get tangled in the yarn. I also got ladders with 2 circs, but not with Magic Loop or DPNs.

Sock knitting is fun and addictive. I recommend trying each method to see which you prefer. Start with what you have the materials for first and go from there. If you are experimenting, I recommend starting with a baby sock pattern. They go really quickly and you learn a LOT about basic sock construction.

I have pictures of my DPN baby socks on my LiveJournal (blog link in my sig) if you'd like to see them.

rebecca
10-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I love to knit socks in tandem on dpns...I have at least 2 sets of all my small dpns.
I also adore 1 sock on 2circs :cheering:
Why, you ask...because I love socknitting! I don't prefer one method over the other.

janelanespaintbrush
10-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I've only ever done 2 socks at a time on magic loop. I'm on my fifth pair doing them this way and so far so good. (Nothing complicated, though, since I like my socks plain.)

I decided on the method for a few reasons (figured I could always change if I didn't like it)... First, less investment. No need to buy DPNs or duplicate circs, which also means less clutter and fewer things to misplace. Also, I know both socks will be identical. If I did them one at a time, I'd have to keep notes on what I did for the first sock to assure a match, and I'm too lazy to do that. Finally... it just seems like the most efficient way to do them.

Julie
10-15-2006, 12:40 AM
I knit mine one at a time, on 2 circs. The thought of two at once is nice and all, but having more than one ball of yarn attached to my knitting sort of freaks me out. :shrug:

Lieke
10-15-2006, 03:29 AM
I never work with circs, so I prefer DPNs

Jax3303
10-15-2006, 11:53 AM
I prefer doing one at a time on 2 circs.

Calamintha
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I do one sock at a time on 2 circs. I made my first pair of socks with dpns and did not enjoy it one bit! Plus the socks had gaps in the gusset and ladders from the dpns.

When I did the second pair on 2 circs--what a difference! I actually enjoyed what I was doing and the socks look much more professional--no gaps and no ladders. I usually have two pairs going at the same time with different yarns so I don't have a problem with Second Sock Syndrome.

Another plus with circs is that you don't have to worry about the needles falling out of the stitches.

humblestumble
10-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I've only ever tried DPN, but I'd like to try the others.

Pink Dandelion
10-16-2006, 01:01 AM
I like DPNs, usually one sock at a time - I tried 2 at once and I found that I'd just want to keep going on the first... but atleast when it's on 2 seperate paris of DPNs this isnt' something you need to decide right away. I've used 2 circs on other projects and I got frustrated at the dangly needles that weren't in use tangling in my yarn and just generally making a floppy pain of themselves... :rofl:

cheesiesmom
10-16-2006, 09:18 AM
I prefer (don't know if that's the right term) dpns, top down. I haven't gotten up the nerve to do toe ups, 2 circs or magic loop. Just your basic coward, I guess.

mulene
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I've tried dpns and one sock on two circs. I'm in the the process of my third pair on two circs (first sock about to turn heel - cast on on Saturday evening). I am LOVING two circs and I really want to try two socks on two circs but I need to buy a shorter circ to try it (apparently you need one circ shorter than the other).

I have one sock very almost done on the DPNs but I can't face it - I found DPNs ok but very fiddly to get back into and ladders would appear if I had to leave it down for a few days. I had to get used to them again when picking them back up. With two circs I've not had any teething issues or 're-learning' issues when picking back up after an absence.

I've got the Fiber Trends magic loop book and I'd like to try it at some point soon but right now I'm going hell for leather on the two circs :rofl:

Shandeh
10-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I prefer DPNS, because if I make a mistake, it's easier to correct it. Also, I like being able to lay out my stitches in sections with the DPNS, so I always know what part of the sock I'm working on.

mwedzi
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I love to knit socks in tandem on dpns...I have at least 2 sets of all my small dpns.

How do you do this? Do you knit one round on one set of DPNs, put them down, then pick up the other and knit a round?

Oh, and I put dpns. I don't know if it's fair to say that I prefer them, though, because that's all I've tried.

ebrperk
10-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I am also from Minnesota, and I only know how to knit socks on DPN's but plan on trying the two circular sock method soon. I think I also prefer the toe up sock so far with a short row toe. I am one of the sock knitting addicted people even though I have only made one pair. They are all I really want to knit these days.

Holly
10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I learned to make a sock using magic loop (the sock pattern from the magic loop booklet), but I think I prefer DPNs. The main reason is that many (most??) patterns I've come across are written for DPNs and you have to convert them to a different method. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I'm such a sock making newbie that I need my directions spelled out for me! I have never tried 2 circs.

Holly
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I learned to make a sock using magic loop (the sock pattern from the magic loop booklet), but I think I prefer DPNs. The main reason is that many (most??) patterns I've come across are written for DPNs and you have to convert them to a different method. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I'm such a sock making newbie that I need my directions spelled out for me! I have never tried 2 circs.

mulene
10-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Also a great book for all methods of sock knitting is Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch it gives a bunch of tables on measurments to fit etc and the different sock knitting techniques. I have found this book to be an excellent reference.

cheesiesmom
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
If you haven't seen it, Knitty has instructions for making 2 socks at once on dpns.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

I think I'll forgo that for a while.

Shandeh
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
That article is so FUN to read! I'm not quite ready to do the acrobatics yet, but one day.....