PDA

View Full Version : need a pumpkin stump pattern...

Cristy
10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I know this'll sound weird but I need a pattern for a pumpkin stump hat (the stem at the top of the pumpkin). I'm 28 weeks pregnant and as round as a pumpkin so I decided that for halloween (my 4 year old wants me to dress up) I will be a pumpkin! Dh prints t-shirts and does graphic design for a living so I've had him design and make me a pumpkin shirt (a jack-o-lantern actually) that I plan to wear with black or brown pants. It turned out cute--but I think I need a stump for my head...can anyone help?? I've played w/ it but I can't seem to give the stump the support it needs to stand up w/o being so heavy that it just falls off my head.

Ingrid
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
How about just a piece of felt sewn in a tube to put on your head? Or a piece of corregated cardboard painted? It's not like you're going to wear it often! :teehee:

Cristy
10-14-2006, 09:09 PM
are you kidding Ingrid...I was thinking of making it a regular part of my wardrobe... :rofl:

Felt is a good idea...

Pink Dandelion
10-15-2006, 07:22 AM
If you especially want it knitted - I don't exactly have a pattern, but for a felted pumpkin I made recently I did a short row hexagon (similar concept to one of the many free patterns to a short row round washcloth, but done in stockinette for larger wedges and making less wedges to make a round) and then picked up some stitches in the middle and knit a few inches of i-cord. :shrug:

Or you could try modifying the top of one of the many pumpkin patterns in the halloween section (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/halloween.php) at knitting pattern central

Sorry I'm not more help :pout:

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:21 AM
those are great suggestions...thanks! I think I might just go w/ something in felt like Ingrid suggested...I'd rather spend the time working on knitting for the baby or on Christmas presents!

Jan in CA
10-15-2006, 01:14 PM
An I-cord made with very chunky yarn and big needles might work and could be sewn or pinned to a hat. :thinking:

skNYC
10-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Christy: Did you change your avator?