PDA

View Full Version : I want... but i don't know why...

hedgehog
10-14-2006, 09:56 PM
I want to make a lace shawl... i do. A shawl, a stole - something lacy and gorgeous and feminininine.

I see all these pictures of projects that people post on their blogs and i salivate. I look at the color cards for KPs Alpaca Cloud and Shadow and think - ooooh, that'd make a GORGEOUS shawl. I look at before and after blocking pictures and think - isn't that a delicious piece of knitting?? I obsess about patterns and which ones i like...

And i just about bought the pattern and yarn to make one for myself just now....

But then i realized - i would NEVER wear a shawl! I am not that kind of dresser. I'm not super butch but i never wear things that show off my shoulders - why would i need a lace shawl? I don't even wear scarves!

Ugh... why do i want this so badly when i'd never wear it? :shrug: And it's not like i can make one and give it away - i don't know anyone who'd wear one either!

I'm weird. :wall:
-hh

rebecca
10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Personally, I think your "inner knittiness" is letting you know that you really want to begin wearing shawls on special occasions :wink:

Shoot, I'm not much of a shawl wearer either, BUT I have the yarn for and several shawl patterns at the ready! As a matter of fact I was going to begin knitting one as soon as I finish this top I'm working on, but instead I made a promise to design a hat to match "A Leaves of Whimsy scarf" or I would be knitting one very, very soon!

knitaddict
10-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I am not a shoulder-shower either, but I'm knitting myself a lace shawl. :) There are 2 reasons that I decided to do it: first the challenge, and second I figure I can wear it during late summer nights when we're having a bbq. For those nights that it's too warm for a coat - even a light one - but too cool for just a short sleeve shirt.

I say go for it!! :happydance:

Ingrid
10-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Knit it just for the pleasure of knitting it. :shrug: Even if you never wear it, you can drape it across the back of the couch, or just pack it away for when you meet someone it would be perfect for.

Julie
10-15-2006, 12:38 AM
I know the feeling! But I found an outlet: my mom volunteers at one of the Fank Lloyd Wright homes as a docent, and she offered to knit a period-appropriate lace piece for a display. Then she got the yarn and realized that she wasn't up for the project, so she gave it to me. :D I won't have time until after the holidays, but I intend to knit it for her! Maybe there's someone you could donate a lace piece to so you can have the experience and not feel like it's totally going to waste? :D

IndianPrincessSIP
10-15-2006, 01:51 AM
I wore a shaw today to take my cat to get shots.
Over a long sleeve, turtleneck.
I felt glamorous standing there in line at the pet clinic.

I wear mine often.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/cinco/AccentShawlcopy.jpg

Lyndalm
10-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Oooh that's lovely! Was it hard? What pattern is it?

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

IndianPrincessSIP
10-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Not hard at all, one of the first things I ever did.

http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/shawl2.asp

And for the button I used.

http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id33.html

With a bit of woundup yarn instead of a glass ball.

hedgehog
10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
you guys are pushers... trying to get me addicted, i just know it! "sure, just try it...you might like it..."

The next thing i know i have a stash the size of my garage and i've lost my job because i'm sitting at home knitting things to put in boxes and never wear...

unemployed, broke, alone... covered in lace... is that what you want??

-hh :)

P.S. IndianPrincess - i'm sure you looked absolutely smashing

Stiney
10-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Yes.

:wink:

skNYC
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
hedgehog:
My advise is - just knit it and wear it ! make yourself wear it and see how you feel. Don't be afraid to do things out of your ordinary.

Indianprincess: that shawl is gorgeous! :heart: What is the button/hook thingy? How did you do that? I would like to put that on the shawl I am working on. Pointers please.

CateKnits
10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
I want to knit one, too, but I wouldn't ever wear it. I'm not into fussy looking things. Plus, knowing me, I'd drop it and drag it on the ground or get it caught on something or SOMETHING and ruin it. :shrug:

AnreeAce
10-15-2006, 05:20 PM

Is this a bad thing? :??

I agree, something is telling you to knit lace. It's the same voice which prompted you to pick up the needles in the first place.

Knit it, learn from it. You'll know what to do with it when you're done!

Good luck! :hug:

IndianPrincessSIP
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Indianprincess: that shawl is gorgeous! :heart: What is the button/hook thingy? How did you do that? I would like to put that on the shawl I am working on. Pointers please.

Thank you!
I used the instructions from Glampy Knits ~

http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id33.html

With a bit of woundup yarn instead of a glass ball. Sewed it on.

Then I made an icord 'hook', and just sewed it to the opposite side.

Georgiasmama
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
wow now you are making me want to knit one and I just started to knit! haha

Well you can always knit it, and if you dont like to wear it, you could donate it to somewhere.

hellokitty165
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Knit it just for the pleasure of knitting it. :shrug: Even if you never wear it, you can drape it across the back of the couch, or just pack it away for when you meet someone it would be perfect for.

I agreed with Ingrid...thinking all this time i knit not for myself but there is always a someone special that i gave it to as a gift... whether is a pair of sock, a washcloth, a sweater... came to think of it ...i only keep one sweater that i knitted for myself ...

hellokitty165
10-15-2006, 07:17 PM
you guys are pushers... trying to get me addicted, i just know it! "sure, just try it...you might like it..."

The next thing i know i have a stash the size of my garage and i've lost my job because i'm sitting at home knitting things to put in boxes and never wear...

-hh :)

P.S. IndianPrincess - i'm sure you looked absolutely smashing

yes that's our job ....ha ha ha :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: u r funny...

cgd
10-15-2006, 08:13 PM
OMG, after y'all making me want to do socks, now I want to do shawls too even though I don't wear them either! I was eyeing the poncho in The Knit Stitch earlier today. I'm already so behind on everything I want to do. There are just not enough hours in the day!!! :X:

skNYC
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Indianprincess: you rock girl! Thanks for the link !