PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite scarf pattern???

Cristy
10-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Winter's on it's way (for some of you, it's already here and I'm SO jealous!). I want to knit scarves--I think it's just that time of year where scarf wearing hits me...so I'm curious...what's your favorite scarf pattern??? (yes, I know this has been done before but there has to be new ones out there, right?)...

I like Danica and My so called scarf although I've knitted neither...

Ingrid
10-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Recent ones--I just made My So Called Scarf and love it. I also love the Scrunchable for a quick no-brainer. I made Besotted and it was fun, too.

stitchywitch
10-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I love knitting scarves!

I like the multidirectional scarf and the short row rib scarf (from Magknits) for variegated yarns.

I love lacy patterns too - I like the Dayflower scarf and Branching out.

I'm also completely in love with the braided scarf on the cover of the holiday vogue knitting issue this year.

geekgolightly
10-15-2006, 12:43 AM
my so called scarf and irish hiking. i think they are popular for good reason.

right now im doing irish hiking with an extra cable in two strands of the elann baby cashmere. DREAMY!

dustinac
10-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I think this is the time for me too.. I usually don't think about knitting scarves till fall hits lol...

my so called went fast and I really like it... I also like the lacy scarves.. the one I reach for the most often is this one from knitty gritty (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3520116,00.html) the skinny scarf... I found the Vogue Holiday book yesterday and can't wait to start this one (http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine-preview.shtml) ... I like knitting scarves esp for gifts.. although 1/2 way through them I do have to make myself finish them before starting something else I have seen.. :rofl:

XbelovedXoneX
10-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I like the scrunchable scarf for a quick n easy scarf.... it was such a great use for one skein of malabrigo! I'm doing the irish hiking right now and it's great way to learn cables!

Cristy
10-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Dustinac--I like that little skinny scarf pattern--I might give it a try--it looks super easy! I'm thinking about Danica (w/o the accent color) for dh--I think he'd like it in the dark and light grey or black and white. The my so called scarf has been in the back of my head for some time...I even have two hanks of Noro Kochoran held aside for it! I'm glad to hear it knits up quickly b/c that has been my hesitation--I hate psso and I see that it's in the pattern....I guess this would be a good way for me to practice and get better at that stitch...

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 10:07 AM
The psso in the So-Called seemed very easy--maybe because I used large needles. :shrug: There is one tip I learned, though, that worked out very, very well.

The directions tell you to psso, but before dropping it off the needle to knit into the back of it. Sounds confusing. I read a tip on this, followed it and you get the same results--do a yo before psso. Pass the slipped stitch over the knt and the yo. The results are exactly the same, but it seems just so much easier to keep the pattern flowing.

So it's sl1, k1, yo, psso the knit and the yo.

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:18 AM
That's a great tip Ingrid...I think you've inspired me to try it. I'll have to play with it to see exactly what you mean but it makes sense on paper. Do you think the Noro I mentioned would be a good substitute? I chose it b/c my secret yarn buddy gave it to me and I wasn't sure what to do with it. It's such a beautiful yarn that I selfishly thought I should use it for myself.

dustinac
10-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I liked both the My so and the skinny cause I could do them while the kids were running around lol.. I started Danica last spriing for me without an accent in a purple and teal color its still not finished.. I need to finish it now that I can use it again... :teehee:

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:50 AM
thats good to know...that I can make those scarves with my little indian running around...

I have to make sure I get scarves done when I start them b/c living in GA...it's certainly not cold enough for them for long. If I don't get one finished by February, I might as well give up again until the following November.

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I think the So-Called looks best with variegated colors--the Noro would be beautiful!

hedgehog
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I just found these and they're gorgeous... LOVE the John Muir scarf!!

http://gonnapurl.blogspot.com/2006/01/scarf-patterns.html

I also love the DNA scarf but it does take some time to complete it!! And Danica (links in my sig below)

And i think these are really pretty...

http://www.ashidome.com/blogger/files/FREE_SeamanScarves_%20Matthew.pdf

-hh

Edited to add - BTW, i did my Danica in KPs Andean Silk Navy, Bluebell and Mustard... it is GORGEOUS! I'm not a big fan of blue, but their navy is the most amazing shade... and the sheen is lovely... mmm mmm MMM!! :)

Cristy
10-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey hedgehog...I like the ones on that first link you posted but for the life of me I'm not sure I understand what she's talking about in the first pattern--I actually looked at that and thought it'd make a great gift for my mom until I noticed that she said something about the option of knitting it in two pieces and grafting it or just knitting it in one piece but the ends would differ....

hedgehog
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey hedgehog...I like the ones on that first link you posted but for the life of me I'm not sure I understand what she's talking about in the first pattern--..
I think she means that if you start at one end and knith the whole thing you'll get those nice points at the ends of the rows (where the beads are attached) on one end of the scarf, but as you get to the other end and bind off, it will be concave like the red line in the picture shows. So one end will have sticky-outy bits while the other will have sunken in bits and no points to hand beads from. It would look kinda lopsided.

So to make sure the ends look the same when they're hanging down, she cast on once, knit one ball (of the two) and then put the live stitches on a stitch holder and then set the whole first piece aside. Then she cast on again (to make the other end that hangs down identical to the first cast on edge) and continued to knit almost to the end of the second ball. Once she had nearly finished the second piece, she grafted the two pieces together at the live stitch ends (ie: she took the live stitches from the first piece off the stitch marker and put them back on a needle then joined the two "live" ends by using a three-needle bind off technique - which is easy to do). So the two ends are essentially knit so that they meet in the middle (behind the neck) where they're grafted together and they look the same when hanging down.

This is all done because the stitch has a certain direction to it.

I hope that helps clarify things... I think you could easily do this scarf!

-hh

Cristy
10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
thanks--you explained it much better than she did! That's almost what I thought she meant but I probably would have done a bind off at the end of the first w/o thinking...

thanks for the suggestion--maybe I will consider this as a Christmas present for someone.

jodstr2
10-15-2006, 02:09 PM
hmm.

definitely first choice is the Chevron Scarf in
Last Minute Knitted Gifts (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781584793670&itm=1).

I also am in the middle of and totally in love with Branching Out (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html).

rebecca
10-15-2006, 04:58 PM
My faves are Backyard Leaves (http://grumperina.com/backyard.htm) and A Touch of Whimsy (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2006/05/touch-of-whimsy-scarf-pattern.html) (self promotion, I know, but I like it :roflhard: :rofl: ).

suzeeq
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
The psso in the So-Called seemed very easy--maybe because I used large needles. :shrug: There is one tip I learned, though, that worked out very, very well.

The directions tell you to psso, but before dropping it off the needle to knit into the back of it. Sounds confusing. I read a tip on this, followed it and you get the same results--do a yo before psso. Pass the slipped stitch over the knt and the yo. The results are exactly the same, but it seems just so much easier to keep the pattern flowing.

So it's sl1, k1, yo, psso the knit and the yo.

Isn't it like the herringbone stitch - k2tog tbl, sl off the first st only, and repeat? Or does it look different?

sue

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
•Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, K1

•Row 2: *P2tog, do not slip stitches off the needle, purl the first stitch again, slip both stitches off needle*

I'm not sure if it's herringbone or not, but these are the So-Called rows.

knitwit2
10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Would My So Called Scarf look good with a solid like malabrigo? Is there another scarf that would be better for my MMMMMalabrigo.

suzeeq
10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
•Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, K1

•Row 2: *P2tog, do not slip stitches off the needle, purl the first stitch again, slip both stitches off needle*

I'm not sure if it's herringbone or not, but these are the So-Called rows.

Row 2 in the herringbone pattern is p2tog, slip the first st off, repeat. Knitting 2 tog tbl and slipping off the first one only seems to me to be easier than this Row 1. I'll have to try it and see if it looks the same. I think it's essentially the same thing though.

sue

Edited later -- I tried it out and it's similar to the herringbone, but looser, and the WS is quite different. I'm tearing out the HB scarf I was going to do and work this stitch instead. Thanks for the discussion and making me aware of this pattern again. :)