PDA

View Full Version : Good projects for beginners?

HamburgKnitter
10-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi!

I've been knitting for all of, oh, 36 hours now and I'm well into my first knitting project. A scarf, of course, in a very pretty purple. It's a very simple ribbed scarf, just knit knit purl purl knit knit purl purl......

My husband wants a scarf as well, so that's Project #2.

What would some of you experienced knitters recommend as a good beginner's project - other than scarves? I haven't even begun to figure out how to read patterns yet. They look very daunting to me, actually, although I'm sure it's just a matter of lots of practise and learning to "speak the language".

Oh, and I am utterly in awe of many (most) of the knitting projects that I see going on here! :notworthy:

Thank you!

miccisue
10-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Do you want a project that works up quickly, or do you want one that will take a while to finish?

suzeeq
10-15-2006, 08:40 AM
You could make a rectangular shrug, it's just a huge scarf. Make it about 22" wide and as long as you measure, either from wrist to wrist or elbow to elbow. You could put a couple inches of ribbing at the beginning and end.

sue

Ingrid
10-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Lots of people make washclothes to practice with. You get to use lots of different stitches, depending on what you want to make, and you certainly don't have to worry about fit. If you make a mistake? Its a washcloth.

The favorite site for free patterns around here seems to be www.knittingpatterncentral.com , which has just about everything.

janelanespaintbrush
10-15-2006, 09:10 AM
My first project was going to be a scarf too, but I got tired of it after a couple of feet (I don't know what compelled me to do such a w-i-d-e scarf in garter stitch -- it was taking forever), so I decided to try a hat. Turned out to be a good choice because I got to learn how to knit in the round (both large and small circumferences -- Amy has videos for both), and do a little decreasing. It was also really fast, which is always a plus. You feel like you've accomplished something right away.

dustinac
10-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I made a dishrag (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html)... and then a baby afghan (http://www.knitting-crochet.com/disclobabbla.html) for my daughter it was the same as the dishrag just wider.. also a ittle purse (lhttp://www.theknittinggarden.com/gallery/aug-free-2.htm)... the website Ingrid posted has a lot of good patterns on it... I'd say just pick what you want to do cause if you get stuck you have Amy's videos and the forum to ask any questions :happydance:

Cristy
10-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I suggest--strongly suggest--you take the time to learn to read patterns right away. My mother is a crocheter who never learned to read patterns and it's her downfall b/c there are so many things she'd like to make but that she can't make just b/c she can't read the pattern. The best way I've found to read a pattern is to pick up one that is rated easy or easy+ (challenge yourself!) and learn as you go. Look up at the top of your screen--see the tab that says abbreviations explained?? That's how I learned. Just look up each abbreviation as you come to it--most of the ones listed above have videos so you can find out what it stands for and see it being done. Learning the abbreviations from books (for me) was very hard b/c knitting is a 3D task so for it me, it takes 3D learning! LOL!

Now, for the scarf...I recommend the scrunchable scarf--that was the first scarf I ever made and it's very repetitive but not so much that you get bored. You have to pay attention but you don't have to concentrate hard after a couple of rows. You can find the pattern for the scrunchable scarf here (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm). Lots of us have made it so just ask if you have questions!

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I forgot to mention that the scrunchable scarf looks a little feminine in the link I gave you but I knitted it in a thicker yarn (KoolWool--it's discontinued now but there are others that are very similar out there) and it came out very masculine. It was a valentine's gift for my dh.

HamburgKnitter
10-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Thank you everyone!

I like the scrunachable scarf - that just might be next. :cheering: Thanks for the link!

I'm not really a hat person, but since it looks like I bought too much yarn for my scarf then maybe I can try a simple matching hat.

Miccisue: Both big and small projects are fine with me at this point.

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Hamburg! I love to make hats. I make one every few weeks or so. They're quick, easy and fun. It IS cold there isn't it?
You don't have to make hats on circulars either, you can do it on two straights and sew a seam up the side.

Oh, this link is a super thing to print out. It lets you calculate how big to make your hat with whatever size needles you are using. (you do a swatch first of course) Maybe you'll like it, I use it a lot.

http://www.earthguild.com/products/knitcroc/marypat/hatcalc.htm

The other fun thing to make is fingerless gloves. Do you have those around? They're easy.

The washcloth idea is good, I learned some new stitches with a couple of those.

Good luck and have fun!

nikic
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
I moved onto washcloths, which taught me how to read patters. I highly reccomend washcloths too!

slgn
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
after scarves I learned on hats in the round (on circulars). I have been in love with circular needles AND hats ever since. You can do a basic cap and then later ones can add stripes, or colorwork patterns, etc.

I like this pattern (http://www.needlebeetle.com/free/seacap.htm) but it you don't want to do ribbing, there are many, many other hat patterns out there.

Good luck and have fun!

Shandeh
10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Like Ingrid said, I learned a lot of stitches by making dishcloths. They were fun to make, because of all the different colors of cotton yarn available. And the cotton yarn felt so GOOD in my hands. It was also really neat to be able to make them as gifts for my friends and family.

I also learned a lot by making baby items for charity. Baby hats and booties take very little time to make. Plus, you learn how to shape items, bind off, seam....just about everything.

miccisue
10-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Right now I'm working on a blanket from a free pattern sheet Coats and Clark put out. It's called "Knit Afghan Block Afghan" and is rated for a beginner. It uses Red Heart Super Saver and Red Heart Symphony knit together, and is very easy (but you have to do a good job of keeping track of how many knit stitches you've done, then how many purls). the number on the front of the leaflet is LW1437.

I don't know if it is on their website or if you can write for directions - or I could try and get another copy and send it to you if you'd like.

It comes out in a lovely basketweave pattern, and with the 2 yarns together, even though one is really fine, it looks nice and warm and cuddly. :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
10-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought of something else that no one seems to have mentioned yet... I still haven't tried it yet myself (not intentionally, anyway), but I've heard that felted projects are good for beginners because any mistakes you make are hidden by the felting proccess.

Cristy
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
oh oh oh...yes...how could I forget the boogabag??? Here (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html) is a link to it. It's pretty small and very quick..come to think of it--this was my first FO beyond a swatches and hats made on a knifty knitter! I made the booga and gave it to my mom for her birthday--she loved it! The Noro yarn is moderate in price but SOOOO worth it. It's self striping so the yarn does the colorwork for you. The bag comes out small so many people have doubled the pattern and I've heard that using two strands is a good idea if you double it for added reinforcement. Several people have even lined theirs--if you do a search I bet you'll find a million posts about the booga bag--this time last year it was talked about in practically every other thread that was started!

HamburgKnitter
10-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Boy, do I have alot to think about now! Thank you everyone for all the links and suggestions, this is a wonderful forum. :heart:

The booga bag is amazing. I had never even heard of felting until I checked this website out.