PDA

View Full Version : a bit OT but still knitting

Mulderknitter
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
So, I've branched out and learned the Grandma's favorite dishcloth pattern. But because I'm still kinda stuck on an old otn project, I kinda gave up and threw hands in air and said "fine! I will knit what I know!" have any of you ever gotten so frustrated with trying to finish/learn something new that you just got out new needles and made a darn scarf because it's easy??? :wall: I feel kinda sad cause the dishcloth went good, but the other project " the worst thing i've ever made ever trying to make a washcloth in the round because the lys lady recommended it to learn in the round" is still sadly sitting with pretty cotton yarn but oh so evil cause it won't work right for me (my fault haven't learned the darn circ needles yet) :frog:
anyhoo... anyone else just get so frustrated with learning something new they went back to the old faithful just to complete something??? :waah:

BinkyKat
10-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I totally understand how you feel! Sometimes circ's just aren't what they're cracked up to be. Sometimes I love 'em, sometimes I love my straights! I find it funny when I go to a project i set aside due to a roadblock, forgot about it, then finished something more complicated and laugh at how the forgotten project was nothing at all! I've got the world's shortest fuse too!
Keep on keepin' on and you'll get it when the time is right...sometimes another day you're eyes or brain views a problem in a whole new light! :hug:

Stiney
10-16-2006, 09:23 PM
A washcloth in the round? :??

psammeadred
10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
IMHO (which doesn't count for much! :teehee: ), double-pointed needles are WAY easier than circulars. I'm making a circular shawl (Pi from EZ's Knitter's Almanac), and it's a pain to keep pushing the stitches around the thing.

Another thing - I don't know if anyone else is this way, but I find that I learn things in my own time, and if I try to learn them before I'm ready, it just doesn't work. For example, people taught me to knit about four times before I actually really started to knit a few years ago. It just didn't click, I guess. So don't stress about it! There's no mid-term exam for knitting. If you don't feel comfortable knitting in the round at this point, don't knit in the round. It'll happen when you're ready. No worries! :muah:

DreamWeaver
10-17-2006, 02:05 AM
I agree. Knitting shouldn't be stressful. If you don't knit in the round and you're still having fun, then why knit on circs? As long as you love what you're doing and love the finished product, then you're a knitter :thumbsup:

Old Knitter
10-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Mulderknitter.....I want you to sit back, relax and breathe.....there, now don't you feel better?

I also tend to knit "known" projects and seldom push myself to try something more complex, but I'll tell you, there is nothing so rewarding as when you do something beyond what you thought you could reach and realize it came out beautifully and it wasn't so hard. I say, relax with easy things...but, keep working along on more complex items to grow your skill.

Mulderknitter
10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys! I do feel better! :hug:
I guess I just get so frustrated when I keep trying something and it doesn't seem to work ---
The washcloth that I'm trying to knit in the round is a flower petal washcloth. It has 5 petals that you are supposed to knit seperately, and then join together and knit the inside. It's really cute in the picture! But lol not so much on the needles. Thank goodness my DH is supportive and doesn't know what it's supposed to look like he says it's coming along great! :roflhard:

ebrperk
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Hang in there. When you get frustrated do what you did and work on something that isn't frustrating. I tend to try to beat the stupid project to my will because I will not let it win.

nikic
10-17-2006, 10:24 AM
I have no brainer projects going at all times. I find it most relaxing to so the same stich, over and over and over. It's great after a long day : )