PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Vogue Knitting is BEAUTIFUL!

mwedzi
10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh . . . my . . . goddess! You just don't know. If you haven't seen it, you just don't know. Now don't discount me because I'm on a carbohydrate rush at the moment (even if it is true). This issue is gorgeous. Yowza! Yikes! Holy smokes! Gee wilikers, people! I don't think you understand what I am trying to tell you. I got home and I was like: :?eyebrow: and then I was like :drool: and then i thought :noway: and my heart did a flip and it was like :inlove: . The room began to spin and I all of a sudden :thud: . And when I regained consciousness I rushed to the computer to tell you all about it. Do you hear me, people? Run to your nearest Borders (where I got mine) or LYS or wherever you can get a copy of this magazine and get it. Hello, is this mic on? Why are you all still here reading this? Why aren't you in your cars speeding to Borders right now?

Okay, now that I've burned off some of that excitement, for real, the issue is beautiful. I spent over an hour at Borders going over all their knitting and crocheting magazines (they have more than my LYS!) and books. I put Sensational Knitted Socks and Yarnplay on my mental to-get list. But will I ever feel like my $20 for a knitting book is as well spent as the $6 on the Vogue Knitting 2006 holiday issue? Perhaps never. Okay, okay, the Purple Reign section and the Big Color section were not to my tastes, but the other sections Grace Notes (lots of white lace), Town and Country (cables and fair isle), Foreign Affair (which has my favorites, the sweater with the one fair isle sleeve and a Modesitt embroidered shawl with lace border), even Gold Rush (lots of sparkly gold-toned designs) are just fabulous.

Whew! I have to go calm down.

Stiney
10-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Why aren't you in your cars speeding to Borders right now?

Because I hate Borders. I am sorry, but it is true. It's a combination of being a former B&N employee and just plain not liking the way the set up their stores. They always look messy, even when they aren't.

Stiney
10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh, and I'll check the magazine out. Your post was very amusing. :)

ae
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
wow - that's quite a post!!! i MUST go get this magazine tomorrow on my lunch break!

humblestumble
10-16-2006, 11:18 PM
I agree, this issue is marvelous! But I am not resubscribing to Vogue Knitting because one of the last issues just about killed it with all the 80s crap.

Eloewien
10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
I love the winter white designs :) I"ve been drooling over my copy for a week... too bad I have four major projects OTN!!!! I feel bad wanting to start another...

rebecca
10-17-2006, 10:20 AM
I looked thru the preview online for both the Vogue and Interweave Knits, then saw them at the yarn shop last week and then I forgot to get them because I was in Malabrigo heaven since she had just started carrying it :wink: I'm going to have to head to B & N this weekend!

nikic
10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Wow, that is quite a post!

So Barnes and Noble is on my way home. I could run there on my lunch hour. I have cash in my purse. :teehee:

feministmama
10-17-2006, 10:41 AM
. I have cash in my purse. :teehee:

OOOOOOOOOO you're dangerous :teehee:

hellokitty165
10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
yes i bought them and there are so many patterns i wanted to make.... :cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I like it too! I am going to make the scarf on the cover, even if I will only get to wear it like once a season here!

Stiney
10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
You'll just have to come visit the cold places and stay for free with KH-ers. That way you can wear it more often. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
You'll just have to come visit the cold places and stay for free with KH-ers. That way you can wear it more often. :teehee:

Ooooh, I like your logic!

Momma_Jo
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Haha, I went to their website a few days ago and looked at the previews, and I really liked the Asian motif sweater (the one which has a drastically different left sleeve with all kinds of embroidery) and the long deep blue cowlneck sweater....It said the issue was not on sale till today, so I'll make sure to stop by Chapters this afternoon!

CarmenIbanez
10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
You know it is weird it said it wasn't on sale because I bought it last week at Michaels.

Momma_Jo
10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
You know it is weird it said it wasn't on sale because I bought it last week at Michaels.
Weird! I just checked vogueknitting.com again to check if I was tripping, but it does say October 17. :??

Sissy
10-17-2006, 04:45 PM
:happydance: I just bought this today.I really like the stuff in it....... :happydance:

Sooze
10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Ok Ok I am new here, but you gals (lov it) have WAAAY too many ideas for how to spend money! I am getting this issue no matter what! Thanks!
Suze

Eloewien
10-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I fell in love with the winter white designs... now I have to pick a yarn for the one I want (pattern #6)... so many choices!!

mwedzi
10-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Weird! I just checked vogueknitting.com again to check if I was tripping, but it does say October 17. :??

I'm pretty new to this, but in my limited experience, that seems to happen often. You know, maybe just to give themselves time to make sure it reaches all their locations so people won't be like, "but you said it would be on sale TODAY!" You know, like when you order something and it says 4-6 weeks for processing but it comes in 2.

I'm glad others liked it, too and I wasn't just trippin.

Stiney
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Most magazines don't have "strict on sale" dates. The biggies do, like Newsweek and Time, etc.

(Strict on sale means that under no circumstances can the book or magazine be sold before the official release date. My store had the Harry Potter books in the back for a couple of weeks before the release date. We would all go into the back and sorta drool over them and try and open the boxes, before getting chased away.)

So when the store receives a knitting magazine, they put it out right away. At B&N, magazines HAVE to be on the floor within 24 hours. So, sometimes stuff is early, sometimes its late.

And this has been your lesson for the day on how bookstores do business. :)

Momma_Jo
10-18-2006, 11:52 AM
OMG! Who else will be knitting #3? (swanky sweater) I already bought some blue yarn for it (taupe is not really my color), it happened to be on sale, too! Just $2 for a 100-g skein! :happydance: Needless to say, I am NOT using the yarn they suggest, considering the price :teehee: Just made sure it's the correct gauge and that's it. So the yarn was just $12 plus tax, but I did have to buy some extra needles for it, so the whole project will be about $40...but I'm sure I'll make up for price in man-hours!

CarmenIbanez
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I actually bought some Caron Simply Soft for the cover scarf. I think it will look great.

Momma_Jo
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd like to knit the scarf too, but I'm already knitting 2 other projects, so I'll take on the sweater once I finish 1 of them, and then do the scarf afterwards - I don't like to do more than 2 projects at once.

CarmenIbanez
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
I understand monogamous knitting. I am going to have to do this scarf while I am working on something else, because I have a feeling that those strips on dpns are going to be monotanous (sp?)

hellokitty165
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I actually bought some Caron Simply Soft for the cover scarf. I think it will look great. i luv the simply soft ...

hellokitty165
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I actually bought some Caron Simply Soft for the cover scarf. I think it will look great. i luv the simply soft ...

Sooze
10-23-2006, 02:28 AM
monotonous
just remember, all O's~

fluffypechey
10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Ok guys can someone help me out here???? :shrug:

I cant find what you are all looking at :oops: is it because I am old and stupid :shrug:

Please someone put me a link up. Thanks very much in advance :hug:

:muah: Sharon

dustinac
10-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Sharon, they are looking at the Vogue knitting holiday edition..
http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine-preview.shtml

no one is stupid.. and your only as old as you feel :teehee:

I'm going to do the scarf that is on the 4th row down on the link above.. I'm not sure why cause I'm not really a flowery girl but I love that scarf now just gotta find time...

fluffypechey
10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
:hug: Thanks for that.

The scarf is very pretty looks hard though :notworthy:

:hug: Sharon

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 12:40 PM

I cant find what you are all looking at :oops: is it because I am old and stupid :shrug:

Sharon

Woman, if you were close i think i might have to hit you. if you ever say that again, i'm going back to the U.K. just to hit you :tap:

fluffypechey
10-24-2006, 02:47 AM

Sharon

Woman, if you were close i think i might have to hit you. if you ever say that again, i'm going back to the U.K. just to hit you :tap:

:roflhard: Ooppps caught again :oops:

:muah: Sharon

SabrinaJL
10-24-2006, 04:13 AM
I picked it up this weekend. There are lots of things in it I like, but if I only knit one thing from it, it will be that scarf on the cover. That's DEFINITELY on my to-do list.

CarmenIbanez
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I smell knit-a-long!

Stiney
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
monotonous
just remember, all O's~

Except for that U at the end. ;)

Momma_Jo
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, my next project once I'm done with sweater #3 is that lacy top (#2)....can't wait. :cheering: The sweater's looking good so far!

OMG, and can I tell you a secret - I think that octagon (or hexagon, whichever it is) multicolor coat is HIDEOUS. :teehee: (I hope no one's picked it as their favorite project :oops: ).

CarmenIbanez
10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I believe that coat resembles one that the girls on You Knit What? called "Josephs Technicolor Barfcoat". :hug:

By the way, I started a KAL for the cover scarf.

mwedzi
10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
#3 is beautiful and so is the cover scarf. I already have the yarn for #21, the fair isle sleeve sweater. I think that sleeve will be so much fun to knit. I just swatched for it today. Will need size 4 needles! Good thing the swatch on 4s came out good, cuz I seem to have lost my size 5s. I'll have to wait a bit to start that, though, until I get at least one more thing off the needles.

But I think I'm with you on that coat. The whole Big Color section is not my favorite, but the rest of the magazine so makes up for it. It's like Prince. Actually, I think I don't really like most of Prince's songs. But the ones I like, I REALLY like. Think I will go listen to him right now . . .

Maybe I'm the only one making that fair isle sleeve one? No KAL for me. That's ok, though.

:note: i got a jones, martha. it be like this . . . :note: prince :heart: