PDA

View Full Version : Best chemo cap...

Arugula
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
My aunt was just diagnosed with cancer, its pretty aggressive and they are starting chemo within a week or two. I would like to make her a chemo cap but the biggest issue is that she lives in Florida. Even in the winter it simply isnt very cold there and I need a pattern that is beautiful, not too hot, and would work well with a cotton yarn. I would also appreciate recommendations on soft cotton yarns in "grown-up" colors. She looks best in jewel tones-no earth tones or pastels. Any ideas?

Julie
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
I used GGH Bali (a cotton blend) for a chemo cap, and the reciipent loved it so much she asked for another one, 'cause it was the only hat she wanted to wear. :mrgreen: It comes in tons of colors! GGH Bali (http://www.yarnware.com/Web/Yarnware/Yarnware.nsf/0/FEB5E62E79890AC2852568F00053D7B6?OpenDocument)

gardenmommy
10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I used Cascade Pima Silk and Brown Sheep Cotton fleece (80% cotton, 20% wool) for chemo caps for my grandma's neighbor. The patterns are in my signature block. I also used Intermezzo Chunky (100% cotton) for the Petal hat, and I adapted that pattern to work in the round.

I've read that some people don't like lacy chemo caps because you can see scalp through the holes, but others don't mind, and I think in Florida, you'd want as much ventilation as possible, yet protection against any blasting air conditioners.

Phretys
10-18-2006, 02:28 AM
I knit the Knit Picks Chemo Hat (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/itemid_50411220/projects_display) last year, and it used sport weight cotton/modal yarn. I thought the style was pretty.

Debi

Virtuella
10-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I knitted lots of chemocaps for myself.
I used a yarn that is called Tuva, 50 % cotton and 50 % Acryl, soft and not to hot. I also knitted the Shedir from Knitty and used the recommended yarn. Stretchy and nice cap.
The most caps I knitted was Odessa from Magknits.

http://virtuella-galleri.blogdrive.com/
scroll a bit down..

cookworm
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Arugula, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. :crying: I can't comment on chemo caps not having made any, but I'm in the process of trying to find some nice styles, so I'm glad you've gotten some helpful responses. :hug:

I also used Intermezzo Chunky (100% cotton) for the Petal hat, and I adapted that pattern to work in the round.

Gardenmommy, can you adapt this pattern for an adult? It's very pretty!

The most caps I knitted was Odessa from Magknits.

Virtuella, was this hat hard?

Virtuella
10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Magknits Odessa was not hard at all, easy peasy! It looks difficult, but it is not!

gardenmommy
10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
To make the petal hat an adult size, I used a bulkier yarn (Intermezzo Chunky, label says 3.75 sts - 1" on size 10 needles) on a size 10 1/2, 12 inch circular needle. I CO 80 sts (I think) and just did the lace pattern between the * and didn't include the beginning and end K stitches not included in the lace pattern. I also K all the rows that were supposed to be P, (except in the first 3 rows, you have to do a K row, then P row then K row to get the garter stitch edge.