PDA

View Full Version : Why is my yarn twisting!!!

Jessica
10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Grrrr....Why does my yarn keep twisting while I'm knitting? After every row, my yarn is so twisted up I have to un-tangle it :!!!: Does anybody else have this problem? Is there something Im doing wrong? I knit continental (holding yarn in my left hand) and I keep the skien in the same place while Im kniiting as well, and every skien of yarn I use, no matter what kind or brand, gets twisted. Its driving me mad. Any suggestions on how too get this to stop. I swear I spend more time un-twisting then I do knitting. Help!!!

Jessica

janelanespaintbrush
10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Do you start the yarn from the outside or the inside of the ball? I think it might happen less when you pull it from the inside, but I'm not sure since I don't do it the other way much. I've read (though I don't know whether it's true) that twisting is more likely with a continental hold... I'm sure the way the yarn is spun makes a difference too. When my yarn gets twisted, I just hang my work like a yo-yo and let it untwist itself.

Jan in CA
10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Do you mean the working yarn or the stitches on the needle?

Mulderknitter
10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I knit english style but I have found that with cheap storebrand such as red heart if I try to pull from the inside the whole thing turns into a huge knot over and over and over :wall: With those skeins, I just unwind from the top and keep going and it seems to work ok. the other thing is the Boucle yarn I tried to used turned into a shredded mess of furry stuff with a big furry knot in the middle of the thread. Hate that stuff. could be the yarn you are using?? :shrug:

Jessica
10-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I meant to say my working yarn. :oops: My stitch yarn is fine. I've found that with all kinds of yarns I've used, like Lana Grossa's "Inserto" (my favorite) and others by lana grossa, Cascade, and then some of the cheap store stuff like Simply Soft. Im working on a bag with cascade wool yarn and the skien is center pull (the store where I bought them wound them into a ball for me for free). It almost seems like it twists more from the cnter pull then if I were to unwind it from the outside. And I find that all my thin yarn twist more then my chunkier yarn. I try to stay away from those "frilley" yarns, they look like a destastor waiting to happen in my hands.
Maybe it is my left hand knitting thats doing it. Any other lefties or continental knitters out there with this problem?

Stitch
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
i knit english style and my yarn almost always twists
some does and some doesnt....
im working on two projects...one is twisting horribly and the other is completely fine! its weird....
i just let my work dangle and untwist every now and again....

The Spider
10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I have exactly the same problem as an english style knitter. Only seems to be a problem on center-pull balls, and I occasionally just give the whole ball a spinning toss in the air to untwist everything. It is pretty annoying, though.

suzeeq
10-17-2006, 11:03 PM
When a skein is rewound into a ball (now there's a redundancy) do they take from the center or the outside? I think if you just leave the skein alone and don't rewind it, it would be okay and twist a lot less.

sue

Jessica
10-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Hum...maybe next time I get yarn and they ask if I want it spun again I'll say no and see what happens. Im glad so see Im not the only one having this problem. I thought I was defective there for awhile.

suzeeq
10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
It happens with some yarns, not all. When I get some that does, I let either the skein end or the piece on the needles dangle and let it untwist.

sue