PDA

View Full Version : Little House on the Prairie - Ma's red shawl

Rene'
10-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Has anyone here been able to tell if Ma's shawl is knitted or crocheted? It looks knitted to me, but I found online where some ladies where crocheting a look-alike.

Sara
10-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Are we talking about the television series, the books, or IRL? The books talk about Ma knitting, but not crochet. :shrug: If it's IRL, you could ask the people at the museum in DeSmet, SD where Charles and Caroline lived out their lives.

MAmaDawn
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I saw that the other day and thought, I want one like that! It's so pretty! I looked to and couldn't find anything excpet the crochet one. I'll keep looking.

kaysdaughter
10-19-2006, 09:17 PM
How I would love to make Ma's shawl! A plus is that red is my favorite color. Been googling but haven't been able to find anything except the crochet thread for little house. According to the Herbert Hoover museuem in DeSmet South Dakota where the Ingalls lived, ma taught her girls to sew and knit - so patterns from that period (1870s-1880s) might give a shawl close to what ma may have worn then and in the tv series.

Started looking at pioneer, costuming, and reenacting sites but ran out of time. Thought maybe we could find one that looks like it in old patterns. I'll keep looking but maybe someone is a re-enactor here and has a likely pattern to recommend! I used to re-enact but can't find my patterns.

Wouldn't this be fun?!
Paula

RachelG
10-19-2006, 09:25 PM
On the TV show? I think it's crochet. Not positive, but I think.

kaysdaughter
10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes, the re-runs that I see most often show a crocheted shawl, but from what I remember when I first saw it, I agree with the poster in the crochet forum that in the first couple seasons it was knit. Asked a long distance friend to check her dvd's (she's little house crazy too) and she's pretty certain it started out as knit.

Either way, unless someone else finds a pattern, I think I'll find an older pattern (1880s) and create my own Ma's shawl! :happydance:

What fun!
Paula