PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bose Wave Radio

10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I have been wanting to get my Dad this radio for years now, we just can't afford it. I do have 5 other brothers who I could split the bill with, but I'm thinking that I'll only be able to get 2 or 3 of them to commit to helping us with it.

Anyone have one of these? The newest one is $500.00 and yikes, that's steep, but years ago my parents and my hubby went to a Bose demonstration and the sound that came out of that little machine is unbelievable. :noway:

I so want to get him this as my parents, especially my Dad, has had a rough couple of years. They found an artery 98%blocked. Too close for comfort. He's doing much better and his numbers are where they should be, then he had to have hernia surgery and then this year he had rotator cuff surgery. Poor guy, he needs a pick me up. :pout:

Help me talk my hubby into putting it on our credit card. We have no other debt aside from his student loan. Any advice...

ebrperk
10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I worked for a doctor that had one and they are really nice. I think it is a great idea to get if for your dad. See if the rest of them would pay for part of it with you. Even if you could get them to just pay fifty bucks a piece would make it easier for you.

Julie
10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Bose does have an official store at eBay: http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=bose

Looks like they are all new items, fully waranteed, perhaps one-model-ago items? Anyway, that might be a way to save a little money -- the Wave Radio II is $349. :D

gimmesanity
10-20-2006, 01:46 PM
We got one as a wedding gift....I love ours.
Now, would I have paid that much for it myself? eh, probably not.
DH's grandparents have one, and they're the ones who bought it for us (it wasn't on our registry or anything - the just really, REALLY like theirs.)

The sound is awesome, and I like how the time display dims and gets brighter for you. Oh, and when the alarm goes off, it's a gradual thing (whether you have it on radio or alarm), so you're not startled awake. That's a big plus. Ours has a cd player (I dunno if they all do or not), and it came with this cheezy cd of nature sounds. DD still likes to listen to that cd when she goes to sleep. Ours also has a thing in the back where you can plug in other things (you know, that thing with the thing that goes with that other thing....hehe.) Anyways, we have our lamp and our cell phone charger plugged into it, so we don't need to worry about getting an extension cord or anything.

Honestly, the only wedding gift that we use every day, and we've been married almost 4 years.

hth,
- Sharon

rebecca
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
My daughter has one and it sounds great!
Tell your hubby just what you told us, "Dad has had a rough few years and he really needs this radio, it's the one thing he's ever said he wanted, he's my Daddy and he's done so much for me, Without Dad you wouldn't have me, etc":wink:

Kaydee
10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
My grandmother has one that she always uses, and I have to say that it sounds great! You wouldn't expect that sound from such a small radio but it is very clear and sound just as good as a large stero system. It'd probably be worth it to invest in it for your father and I'm sure he'd love it.

candicane
10-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I have one that was a gift from my mom. Yes it sounds great. Would I go into debt for it... no.

Candice

10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
I have one that was a gift from my mom. Yes it sounds great. Would I go into debt for it... no.

Candice

But see, if I can get my brothers to chip in we wouldn't go into debt. This is my dilemma.

All of you religious people out there, say a prayer for me that they'll do this for my Dad. He really deserves it more than you'll ever know.
:heart: :hug:

psammeadred
10-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I got a Bose for a graduation present six years ago. It's worked perfectly since then.

Pros:
alarm is gradual
light fades in the dark so it's not glaring
pretty good sound

Cons:
can't adjust sound levels
only holds one CD at a time

knitwit
10-20-2006, 09:28 PM
What a great gift idea and so thoughtful of you! I say go for it- if some of your brothers can chip in, excellent! It will help defray the cost.
Also, have you checked to see if there is a Bose Outlet store near you? I've seen some great specials in there!

10-22-2006, 06:16 PM
What a great gift idea and so thoughtful of you! I say go for it- if some of your brothers can chip in, excellent! It will help defray the cost.
Also, have you checked to see if there is a Bose Outlet store near you? I've seen some great specials in there!

I've never heard of a Bose Outlet store...hmmm.

I did get a phone call from the one brother who I knew would back out of it and he did. So I decided to scrap the radio this year. That way I wouldn't have to ask for $100 from each of the rest of us. This way me & hubby can save up and get it for him next year.

:psst: I'm actually really pissed about this whole thing. I know my dad would love it and my stupidly cheap brother had to ruin it for him. :grrr:

Brothers are so annoying...