PDA

View Full Version : Interesting compliment

Mienna
10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I was sitting at my doctor this morning knitting on my Monks Satchel and he came in and said 'look at you knitting, you're a domestic goddess.' I sat there for a few seconds and wondered if I liked being called 'domestic' anything, but I think it's the best compliment I've gotten so far. Usually I get the 'you're way too young to be knitting.'

Just thought I'd share and see what y'all though, and if you'd be ok with it.

rebecca
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
:cheering: I think that's a very nice compliment! Your doc did notice how nice you were knitting and that's what counts :cheering:
LOL, my doc loves mine, too, he's waiting for a knitted gift!

Amber
10-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm sure he meant it as a nice compliment. I think the "domestic" part would have rubbed me the wrong way though. Not sure why. I am a domestic goddess! LOL.

Now, if he had said, "Look at you knitting. You're a goddess!"... :eyebrow:

CarmenIbanez
10-20-2006, 02:54 PM
rrrrrrrowr! :eyebrow:

Yeah, knitting goddess would do nicely, thanks!

Mienna
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
:teehee: Yeah, I think I could handle knitting goddess better, but I guess domestic goddess isn't bad. I've heard of a lot worse!

kemp
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
If anyone calls me any kind of goddess...I'm pretty happy about it! :teehee:

Nikki
10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
If anyone calls me any kind of goddess...I'm pretty happy about it! :teehee:

:rofl: :rofl:
I understand, but the word domestic would make me cringe too.

kemp
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Well true, I guess it does tend to be used in a negative way sometimes but really could just mean you're all about your home. How can that be bad, right? I'm sure he's just jealous that his wife doesn't knit!

skNYC
10-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Hm, is the doctor cute? ;)

psammeadred
10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Definitely a compliment! After all, what's wrong with being called domestic? Most people my age (early 20's) are completely clueless about running a household. (I kid you not, one of my friends didn't know how to peel a carrot until recently.)

kemp
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Couldn't peel a carrot? :doh:

Pixywhispers
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm in my early thirties and my younger friends use the word domestic with a nicer conontation then I was raised with. Domestic had more of a "lowly" conontation. I think now days it is really looked at as more of an art.

I also think women who stay at home or do "crafty" things are more valued then when I was a child.

I would take it as a compliment. It's sweet.

Quiara
10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm with Kemp. When a man recognizes that I'm a goddess, I don't argue. ^_~

And yeah, maybe I'm in the minority, but I really think domesticity is an art. I have huge respect for SAHM's and anyone (male or female) who takes an interest in the home. (SAHM is, in my mind, one of the toughest jobs out there.)

Mienna
10-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Aye, I kinda figured it wasn't bad, but I've heard it used in so many horrible ways it kinda made me stop. But I agree about people in thier 20's (I'll be 21 in feb) not knowing a thing about having a home or running a home.

I'm not a stay at home Mom, but I gotta tip my hat to anyone who is, I think I'd go nuts. :rofl:

The doc is cute, if I were ten years older, and didn't already have someone. (Had to mention that I had someone, I'm safe now, right?) :eyebrow:

Pink Dandelion
10-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I know that "Domestic" has become a 'dirty word' nowadays, with 'sitting and knitting' a negative phrase, but it sounds like he really values a cozy home made that way by a good 'domestic' woman, and is probably one of the best compliments to get on your knitting :mrgreen:

I'm with psammeadread and Quiara, I think it's awful how little girls my age know about keeping a home, and I think that being "domestic" is one of the best things a woman can be - "barefoot in the kitchen" comments push it a little far, but I wouldn't be offended by someone recognizing that I could someday make a good home and my husband happy, especially if it were a guy, they seem to value that sort of thing much more than us.

Quiara
10-21-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm 27. I'm an independent and intelligent, competent woman. I am also domestic. It's just another skill.

I can design a Web site and sew a seam. I make podcasts and apple pie. I blog; I knit. I see no reason why a woman cannot be an independent, fully competent, business-minded person and also have domestic skills. They're just another set of skills to be honed like any other. And like any skill, some people are just better at it than others. And those people deserve accolades, like any other acheivers.

I'm not a stay at home mom, but I have seen few jobs that require more. There are no sick days or vacation days, normally, and you don't keep regular office hours. It's literally 24/7 and my hat's off to anyone who can handle it. I certainly couldn't. Not at this point in my life.

But I think people should be appreciated regardless of their talent -- and that all good things should be commended. Therefore, if you are a domestic goddess, good on ya. If you're not, you likely excel somewhere else and have found another focus for your time and energy. Doesn't make one better than the other; just makes them different. And I like differences. Makes life interesting.

Cristy
10-21-2006, 08:48 AM
what she said....

feministmama
10-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Would it be an insult to a man? If yes (if compliments are not interchangable) then that is sexist. We in this culture are so used to ssexism we don't even see it and when we do we excuse it. Hey I'm FEMINISTSmama it's my job to point out sexism. Just my .02

ebrperk
10-21-2006, 10:06 AM
I am a SAHM and I love it 99% of the time. I am not the world's best housekeeper but I am improving. It does take patience and lots of deep breaths sometimes. I am very blessed that I have a husband that is giving me this opportunity to raise our children. I think that every person has their talents and should pursue what they want to do. I would like to forget housework and sit and cross stitch and knit. SO NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!

Quiara
10-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Would it be an insult to a man? If yes (if compliments are not interchangable) then that is sexist. We in this culture are so used to ssexism we don't even see it and when we do we excuse it. Hey I'm FEMINISTSmama it's my job to point out sexism. Just my .02

I believe both men and women can be domestic and that it is in fact a compliment to either sex. I said that in an earlier comment. I was talking about women specifically in this comment because I happen to be one. ^_~

samm
10-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Back to the doctor commenting........ mine arrived in the exam room where I was sitting knitting away and asked if I'd done all that while I was waiting for him!!! Uh, no. He actually doesn't keep me waiting very long at all. :teehee: samm

Mienna
10-21-2006, 07:37 PM
My docs nurse asked if I'd been working on the little I have done the whole time I've been going there, 'cause it was what I was working on on my first visit. I hadta let her know that I had put it down for about a month. :teehee:

skNYC
10-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Christy! Is that you ? I'd always thought the knitting lizard was a photo of you :roflhard:
Didn't know you are so beautiful ;)

skNYC
10-21-2006, 08:26 PM
The doc is cute, if I were ten years older, and didn't already have someone. (Had to mention that I had someone, I'm safe now, right?) :eyebrow:

Maybe the doc was hinting something ;)