PDA

View Full Version : paton sws complaint

XbelovedXoneX
10-21-2006, 01:02 PM
I've used Paton SWS once before for my Anthropologie inspired capelet and Iooooved working with it. Since it was on sale at Michael's I picked some up to make a Sophie bag. I was just winding it into a ball and found that it broke a couple times and I found a knot where two sections of yarn were tied toghether. Rather frusterating! I know it's supposed to have uniqueness due to irregularities, but it seems a bit much. Just thought I'd give a little warning. Do you think I should send an email to the company? I still love this yarn tho!

jmp3775
10-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm sure it was just a random thing, but if you would feel better, then email the company. I am working with it right now, and I am on my 3rd skein. The first had 2 knotted sections, but no problems since then. I have had worse with Noro, so the 2 knots dont really bother me.

psammeadred
10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I got some for a capelet, and it was tangled in the middle, but I guess that's just part of the yarn.

XbelovedXoneX
10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
This is actually my first yarn where I had to deal with yarn tied together to make the skein the right yardage. I hear it's rather frequent, I just find it so disappointing!

kevyoga1970
10-22-2006, 08:48 PM
I am making a scarf with Paton's SWS and have gone through 5 skeins. I have only come across 1 knot. However, what I don't like is the "occasional" slubs. They occur about every 50 rows. Slubs are cools if they occur throughout the yarn--gives a cool handmade look. As they have occurred, it kind of looks like a mistake in the knitting.

However, I LOVE this yarn. I love the sheen and feel (almost a little greasy.) It looks like a good silk blend (possibly the soy fibers) but is much more affordable. Also, it splits less than a lot of other low twist yarn.

Oh, and I do get kind of frustrated keeping the color variations going when I change to a different skein. Gotta unwind skeins until the repeat picks up.

But I will keep knitting with it.

Happy, delicious knitting,

Kevin

Andrea
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I loooove this yarn...and I thought I'd never buy yarn at Michaels again :teehee:

I love it. No knots yet :shrug: I'm making felted mittens and I cannot WAIT to see them felted up!

Jan in CA
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
The Sophie bag is felted so it should be a big problem for this project. Still annoying though I know. I think it's just the nature of the beast a lot of times. :shrug:

Knitabit
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm having the same problem with some Bernat Soft Boucle that I'm making a throw blanket with. It won't cause me a big problem, but it does feel like false advertising!

Harumph!

:P
-

XbelovedXoneX
10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I had more bad luck with yarn! I had bought some cheapy, but nice feeling Red Heart Soft... I only knitted maybe 2 inches and I've already dealt with 2 breaks.! It's like it was just wrapped around, not even knotted together. One piece was only maybe a yard long! Arrrrgh. Another thing... that SWS seemed to have stained my Denise needles also!

cara
10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Wow you really are having trouble with the SWS. I have used 3 different colorways for hats and though I have had a couple of knots, which are a pain I didn't have any problem with staining.

XbelovedXoneX
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't notice until I was finished with my Sophie bag... I was so bummed! It just makes the neeldes look grubby and dirty! The second skein of SWS was fine knot-wise at least...

Quiara
10-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I've been talking myself out of buying this yarn since I first heard of it. I go in and pet it ocassionally, but I've always left it behind. Partly because of stories like this and the fear that it would stain my needles (I :heart: my Denise needles; I would cry if they got all grubby looking.) But then I see stuff like the pinwheel sweaters made with it and I go back and pet it again. Decisions, decisions. . .

kevyoga1970
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I can't really tell if it stained my needles, considering a super expensive hand-spun artisan yarn I bought stained them green :grrr:

I am developing a lovely romance with Paton's SWS. I love her dearly, but some days, I notice her faults more than others. But most days, she's the most beautiful in the world.

XbelovedXoneX
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
I still can't help loving the SWS. I will just have to say with my last experience it was a love/hate thing. :teehee: The bag is felted and drying right now, and I still find it worth the problems. I'm sure I can clean the needles up, or I just may try dyeing them another color with a tutorial I know I saw online somewhere...

jberry16
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I just began a vest for my Mom in sws and found a knot after knittnig the second row, grr. I just hope that's the only one in all the skeins I have. I know it's the only one in this skein b/c I wound it into a center pull and didn't see anymore. KP needles can't be stained, right?

XbelovedXoneX
10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I don't believe they are able to be stained since they are nickel plated, but I'm not positive if that's the case.

knitwit2
10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Xbeloved, When you used SWS for your Sophie bag did you use two strands of yarn? If you did, how did you get the striping the same on both strands or did you just use 2 strands and not worry about the striping? :shrug:

geekgolightly
10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
i was so pleased with SWTC's soy/wool yarn that i bought 5 skeins of patons SWS on sale thinking ill love it too, but i was wrong. it is soft, but it's so splitty that i gave up trying to work with it.

Pixywhispers
10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Ive been through two skiens (crochet) and it has behaved nicely. No knots, etc.

I LOVE THE COLORS! LOVE THEM!

XbelovedXoneX
10-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Xbeloved, When you used SWS for your Sophie bag did you use two strands of yarn? If you did, how did you get the striping the same on both strands or did you just use 2 strands and not worry about the striping? :shrug:

I only used 1 strand. It used about 2 skeins, but I didn't make the handles as I'm planning to get leather handles to attach.