PDA

View Full Version : Any Lefty Knitters Out There?

knitknitknit
10-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I was just wondering if there are any lefty knitters out there? When I first began to learn, the woman teaching me tried and tried to teach me righty because she said that most left handed people knit righty, however i tried and tried to get what she was telling me to do, but my hands just didn't feel comfortable and i was having serious issues getting it. Then finally she said why don't you try to do a mirror image of what i'm doing and i almost immediately got it! I guess I'm just that much of a true lefty... the only issue is all books are made for right handed knitters so i am left to translate to lefty but i guess that's how it is living in a right handed world! Even the icons are righty! :X: :frog: xxx I guess I just would like to know if there is anyone else like me out there!

gimmesanity
10-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm a lefty, and I knit continental. I taught myself to knit continental when I couldn't find any left-handed knitters to teach me.

Honestly, I've never even tried to knit lefty. :??

Dilly
10-21-2006, 05:27 PM
My sister taught one her friends to knit last night, and this friend is a lefty. The friend tried knitting like my sister (right-handed), but it wouldn't work. She mirror imaged the movements in her head, and converted to left handed knitting on her own, just by watching my sister do it right handed. It was pretty neat to see her figure it out so quickly. She enjoyed it a lot and thinks that it may be a hobby she will continue with.

JLC
10-21-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm left handed, but I knit right handed, English style. I do most everything right handed, except write and eat (well, hold a fork or spoon anyway).

Pink Dandelion
10-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm left handed and knit left handed.

I'm a hopeless case when it comes to doing ANYTHING right handed. I broke my left arm once, and had a hard cast from the palm of my hand to my elbow... that was quite a predicament :teehee: (I laugh now...).

I knit left handed continental, my mom knits left handed english... I've heard of several other lefty knitters around here, so I believe you're in good company :hug:

Darcy39
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Iam left handed and knit right handed Iam a thrower and when I first started knitting I would find myself knitting backwards.lol

knitknitknit
10-22-2006, 03:53 PM
it's good to know i'm not the only one! i have to say it doesn't make things easy esp when trying to understand diagrams...

mrs desert rain
10-22-2006, 10:59 PM
anytime i start a new hobby, i always have this requisite moment of confusion. right or left? because i write and eat with my right, but play sports and perform other mundane tasks (like applying mascara) with my left.

that said, i'm comfy with continental.

because info on left-handed knitters may be scattered (or worse, sparse), perhaps initiating a sticky topic here or a stand-alone forum where patterns and the like are translated would help... :shrug:

Eloewien
10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm a lefty, but since I started with crocheting (sorry! I learned from my mistakes... ) lefthanded at the age of 6, it was natural to keep the yarn in my right hand and knit right handed. It just felt right for whatever reason :) I guess I'm just as odd as I think I am, or somethin like that.

Pink Dandelion
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm a lefty, but since I started with crocheting (sorry! I learned from my mistakes... ) lefthanded at the age of 6, it was natural to keep the yarn in my right hand and knit right handed.

I knit left handed but I chose continental for similar reasons - I started crocheting really young, and when I started knitting it felt natural to have the 'working' needle in my left hand, but my yarn in the right.

nonny2t
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
I knit lefthanded and have since I was in 4H when I was 13, which was 40 years ago. I had a great 4H teacher who recognized that I was NOT going to get righthanded knitting and showed me how to turn it around and knit lefthanded. I used to get stressed when I would knit something on a pattern the wrong way because I read the directions wrong, but I just tear it out and do it over now when I mess up the directions. I am totally left bodied actually. I can't do anything righthanded. I have to switch around an iron and ironing board to iron, I even sit on the left end of the couch and sleep on the left side of the bed! :rofl: Several years ago my dh bought me a lefthanded coffee mug (even though I never touch coffee.)

I have noticed that there seem to be more lefthanded people than there used to be. I used to never see anyone left handed (except my mom and brother who were/are both lefthanded.) There are lots of celebs who are lefthanded nowadays too.

rorygilmore
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
i'm right handed but i knit right handed. I do knit continental.

knitknitknit
10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Nonny2t, that's exactly how I am.. completely and utterly lefty! My parents both happen to be lefty, but my sisters are both righty...

If you don't mind of course :notworthy: , I may need to use you as a lefty resource from time to time as you seem to have been knitting much longer than me! (i've only been knitting a smidge over a year) I am going to buy yarn this weekend to try the pattern you gave to me, but I am going to be a little overly ambitous and try to modify the shape and size a little so I can wear it myself! :teehee: At the time there are no little ones in my life to knit for (yet)!

GH
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi -

I am a beginner, true left-handed knitter (I hold the needle with yarn in my right and throw my stitches with my left). I'm having troulbe finding someone who can show me how to purl this way. Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks in advance!

Quiara
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
My friend Diane is a true lefty knitter and is even writing a book about it (http://knitmentia.blogspot.com/2006/10/left-handed-knitting-left-out-knitter.html). She has some videos on her blog about the lefty way to do things. She's a hoot, too, and just an all-around good person who also happens to be a brilliant lefty knitter. ^_^

Compulsive
11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm a lefty and taught myself English, but used my left hand to throw the yarn. Then after finding Knitting Help, learned the continental method.

photogirl72
11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm left handed, but I knit right handed. Anyway I think I do. I don't throw the yarn, I grab it with the right needle. I guess that is called continental?

I do everything except eat and write with my right hand. I actually can do those things with my right, but I automatically start with my left. I even play bass right handed, so I guess I'm not much help for lefties out there.

I have found that as a left handed person, things are just easier to learn right handed.