PDA

View Full Version : problems of "aging"

vlsrn
10-22-2006, 09:47 AM
I have some arthritis in my hands. In addition to loving knittig, I knit for sort of occupation therapy (that's my own idea for therapy). the problem is that I used to knit well...all my stiches were the same tension so the "thing" was always even. Now I find that some stiches are much looser than others. That makes me feel less proud of my finished product.

Anyone have the same problem or ideas to "make it all better"?

snowbear
10-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Perhaps you might try holding the yarn different. As we all get older... our hands sometimes have trouble holding what we used to w/out a problem... Try different ways to see if that helps your tension

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Do you knit English style, with the working yarn in your right hand? It may be easier to try switching to continental... of course, it won't be ore even at FIRST but once you get used to the new style of picking instead of throwing you might fin that it's easier to keep consistant tension.

If you already knit continental.... well nm then :oops: :heart:

janelanespaintbrush
10-22-2006, 12:58 PM
What do you think is causing the tension problem? Is it pain felt during knitting, or a loss of dexterity due to the arthritis? Have you tried compression gloves?

Oh, another question (sorry I seem to have only questions). Have you been knitting regularly, or is it something you've just started up again? If it's the latter, maybe you just need a little more practice to get back to your former skill level.

Jan in CA
10-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I was going to ask the same question as Jane... have you recently taken it up again? If so then it's just like anything else. You still remember how to do it, but your hands need some practice. You might also stretch them often and make sure they are warm.

mrs desert rain
10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
i read something about square needles a couple of days ago... yarnmarket.com, i think.

not sure if you or anyone here has tried them, but they're marketed for those with arthritic symptoms.

vlsrn
10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
all your questions and suggestions are important

Yes I recently started to knit again

I do have pain and less dexterity.

I need keep remembering all those important factors and be more patient with myself.

Stretching my fingers may be helpful, and maybe warm soaks to my hands too.

I never knit the opposite English v Contenental. I have that great video, so perhaps I shoild learn the other way. I hold the working yarn in my right hand.

I'm going to check out the square needles.

I'll let you know what works. A little reality testing goes a long way

:doh: