PDA

View Full Version : Baby clothing? Any suggestions?

ZamirOrion
10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm quite new to knitting and I am gonna have a lil niece soon :heart: . I 'll knit a baby kit but I wanted to know if there was some things to consider before starting. Is there a type of warn that is a no no for babies? How do I go for size? lol It is going to be a great adventure I think :)

Thanks to everyone,

M

Ps: This site is WONDERFUL :cheering: I learned to knit from this site, watching again and again the videos. Good work! :notworthy:

knitncook
10-23-2006, 09:36 AM
You can't go wrong with hats and sweaters and little socks (which are so fun to knit since you can make a baby sock in just a few hours!) And for yarns I would look for things that are very soft. If it is going to be a garment that will need washing (mostly socks and little outfits) I would look for yarn that is machine washable (for a new mom's sanity) When I had my babies I would actually tie knots (gasp) in order to better secure loose ends so they were more machine washable.

Happy auntie hood!

nonny2t
10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I agree with the (shame on us) knotting suggestion when it comes to things that are going to be washed over and over.

I am into my Nonny years (what my grandson calls me) so I have been through a couple generation of babies. I would suggest sweaters that are easy to get on and off like cardigans versus pullovers, bigger rather than very tiny buttons. Even though they are cute, a wiggling baby is tough to get a sweater on when the buttons are itty bitty. A hat that is stretchy enough to pull down if it doesn't have ties so it isn't always slipping off and socks instead of booties as they stay on better. Go with any yarn that when rubbed against you cheek feels soft. A mom never seems to have enough blankets either. Even though kind of old fashioned I think buntings are the bomb for newborns in cold climates. Unfortunately, they can be difficult when dealing with the carseats nowadays.

Good luck and make sure you post your results!

Faye

melissaatk
10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I have made several baby items from www.littleturtleknits.com The "easy peasy cardigan" is really easy and so are the hats and any slippers

Old Knitter
10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
If you make socks, make the cuff long. All little babies are born with the ability to remove socks and booties with little to no effort.

ZamirOrion
10-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for your replies

To all wonderful granmas extreme knitters, what's your favorite pattern? I think I am going to start with a blanket to get going and then I'll knit a baby jacket. I knit slippers, winter hat, scarfs and dishcloths up-to-now but nothing that needed to sew many parts together like a jacket. Should be interesting. If you have this wonderful magnificent pattern for baby kit don't hesitate ;) I'm all listening.

First will be the blanket

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/021.shtml

I'll go buy my yarn sometimes during this week. I'll tell you when I'm gonna have it.

projectgal
10-24-2006, 10:04 AM
The blanket is a great idea for a new knitter, because no there are no gauge requirements, and you've chosen a simple pattern. I recommend putting in lifelines. Amy has a video on how to. I'm working on a similar pattern now, and it's a pain to get that many stiches back on the needle after a mistake, and that YO always confuses me!

If you want to make wearable gifts, the baby kimono in Mason Dixon Knitting should be easy and cute! It's just garter stitches and a seam up the side!