PDA

View Full Version : A knitting emergency

HamburgKnitter
10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh no! I'm finishing up my first knitting project this evening. Friday I ordered some wonderful yarn (3 different kinds)....because I've learned here the importance of having a "stash" at home. It should get here on Wednesday....but what do I do until then?

http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000128.gif

Help me! I'm an addict! With no stash!

I can't feasibly go out and buy some yarn *quick* to keep me occupied till then - that's just TOO decadent, because I blew more than $100 on my order!

http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000563.gif

janelanespaintbrush
10-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Frog something and re-knit it?

gardenmommy
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Cut fabric into strips and knit it, use it for rugs or potholders?

Is there a second-hand or used clothing store nearby? Buy an old sweater and unravel and re-knit it.

KellyK
10-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I can't feasibly go out and buy some yarn *quick* to keep me occupied till then - that's just TOO decadent, because I blew more than $100 on my order!

Who says??? :shrug:

:teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I have found sweaters in my closet that I have "repurposed". It is a great idea!

HamburgKnitter
10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Ah....the feeling of being understood! :muah:

The emergency has been slightly postponed. I ordered Stitch 'n Bitch and it arrived today - Amazon books get sent to my husband's office so he brought it home with him after work. Yay! Now I can at least read about knitting and learn a few things. I just hope that my yarn *really* gets here on Wednesday!!!

Stiney
10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Yay for knitting books!

I've recycled one sweater from my closet, and another is waiting to be unraveled. Normally, these would have been donated, so at least now I get to keep enjoying the sweaters. :)

Let me know how Stitch'n'Bitch is, I've never looked at it.

nikic
10-23-2006, 03:04 PM

Who says??? :shrug:

:teehee:

You need to stock up for the winter. Think of the Christmas gifts. You're actually saving money in the long run because yarn doubles as entertainment and gifting. So you'd be very practial if you got more. :roflhard:

Old Knitter
10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
When you buy yarn you can not think of money in the usual sense. You must think of it as something of little or no consequence that you trade for :heart: YARN :heart:

HamburgKnitter
10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Let me know how Stitch'n'Bitch is, I've never looked at it.

I'm enjoying it but the basic explanations are using the english style of knitting so it's kind of confusing for me. I already have the "basic basics" down but I think when it comes to learning to knit 2 together, increasing, etc. that I will stick to the videos on this website. But it's definitely an entertaining read and there are some patterns that I will definitely try once I get a bit more experience.

Old Knitter
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Good luck with Henry.....one of my cats has been knitting for 15 years............

Momma_Jo
10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I learned to knit with Stitch'n'Bitch, but personally I found the projects to be boring. They are great basics for a beginner, of course, but I wanted to knit something I'd actually enjoy wearing and that'd be a interesting challenge to knit. I did one basic scarf without a pattern (simple knit stitch, stripes, and I did the ends in a different, fringy yarn), but after that I moved on to level 3 patterns in Vogue Knitting. They are difficult, but if I ever have a question, I just check the Knitting Answer book; I found the info there to be better for more advanced projects.

Nikki
10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
When you buy yarn you can not think of money in the usual sense. You must think of it as something of little or no consequence that you trade for :heart: YARN :heart:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yarnlady
10-24-2006, 07:46 AM
One can always justify a ball of cotton yarn to make washcloths for oneself or for gifts. I always try to keep a stack of finished cloths on hand for last minute gifts, hostess gifts, etc. :teehee:

Cristy
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
yes one can always justify new addis and 4 skeins of Debbi Bliss cashmerino superchunky even though she's spent over her budgeted amount FOR THE YEAR....

so what should I do today???

HamburgKnitter
10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Good luck with Henry.....one of my cats has been knitting for 15 years............

When Henry comes creeping up....and gives my knitting that "look"....I freeze. Hopefully he'll get bored of it soon!

knitknitknit
10-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I always justify buying new yarn because eventually it will all be used and not go to waste... I couldn't ever imagine ripping up one of my sweaters, knits are so $$$ especially in NYC! :wink: