PDA

View Full Version : socks on two circs...

Cristy
10-24-2006, 10:01 AM
I've knit socks before (okay...a sock) on dpns and didn't have too much of a problem with it--I think I want to try socks on two circs. I looked at the book socks soar on two circs and found that it's written for someone who is confident with socks but hasn't tried two circs...I wouldn't call myself "confident". Does anyone know of any resources for timid sock knitters using two circs? I noticed in my new KP catalog that there is a DVD out that you can purchase that says it has great camera work...anyone seen it?

Also--I know that sock patterns for dpns can be used with two circs but I think I'd feel more comfortable starting with a sock pattern actually written for 2 circs....anyone have any suggestions?

monzogary
10-24-2006, 10:15 AM
If you are willing to spend the money on Queen Kahuna's book (http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com/), IMHO it is well worth it. I had only knit one pair of socks before I got her book, and I have been going full tilt ever since! Her book is very much for a visual learner, lots of pics and she repeats things a lot so you can't forget anything. I now love doing socks two at a time from the toe up on circs thanks to her book. She also shows you how to do them top down, and different types of heels and toes as well.
Good luck!

janelanespaintbrush
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
This link (http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/sockknittingresorces-/) has some good sock-knitting resources. If you scroll down a little, you will see some links for two-circs.

I borrowed Socks Soar from the library, and was disappointed too. After finding about all the different options I had for making socks, I ultimately decided to do 2-at-a-time on magic loop.

rebecca
10-24-2006, 11:38 AM
As a matter of fact, I bought that dvd from knitpicks, Sock I and I thought it to be very well done. I had a bit of a question about the gusset and knitting socks on 2 circs, when I saw her execute the pattern everything clicked for me, I watched it once and that was it, just what i thought to do was what she did, even so, it was well worth the investment for me.

If you have any specific questions about socks on 2 circs I will be more than happy to help you if I can.

Sockbug (http://sockbug.blog-city.com/) writes her patterns for 2 circs.

Cristy
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
thanks guys--one of those linked sites looks pretty good--reading through it will go on tonight's to-do list! :)

Cristy
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
As a matter of fact, I bought that dvd from knitpicks, Sock I and I thought it to be very well done. I had a bit of a question about the gusset and knitting socks on 2 circs, when I saw her execute the pattern everything clicked for me, I watched it once and that was it, just what i thought to do was what she did, even so, it was well worth the investment for me.

If you have any specific questions about socks on 2 circs I will be more than happy to help you if I can.

Sockbug (http://sockbug.blog-city.com/) writes her patterns for 2 circs.

Thanks Rebecca--I'll look over her site too and hopefully I can figure it out. I'm sure that if I just sit down when I'm in a patient mood, I'll be able to get it all figured out. Just out of curiousity--do you knit two socks at once on two circulars or do you only knit one? Why do you prefer whichever method you use?

Freyja
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Lots of pics (http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm)and step by step.
I won't to try double knitting (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html) two socks next. After I am done with my two color cable socks that are taking forever!

rebecca
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I knit one sock on 2 circs. I've tried 2 socks on 2 circs, but I spend so much time keeping the yarn untangled and distributing the 2 balls of yarn that I have found it's much faster for me to knit 1 sock on 2 circs. I will often have 2 socks going at the same time, but each sock is on 2 circs :wink:

janelanespaintbrush
10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I've tried 2 socks on 2 circs, but I spend so much time keeping the yarn untangled and distributing the 2 balls of yarn that I have found it's much faster for me to knit 1 sock on 2 circs.

I've knit two anklets at once using both ends of the same ball and that worked out pretty well. Another trick for doing two at once is to tuck each ball of yarn into its own sock as soon as they're big enough to fit inside. I'm doing some socks like that now and it's so nice not to worry about the yarn getting tangled.

I like doing two at once because I know they will both be the same. I don't have to remember what I did with the first one, and I don't have to worry about my tension changing, or whatver. Plus, no second sock syndrome.

ebrperk
10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
What a great idea to stick the yarn inside the sock. Thanks for the tip.

Cristy
10-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I guess I'll have to have more experience before I understand how to tuck the yarn in the sock--it seems like it would make it hard to pull out the yarn you need to knit with...but again..that's likely b/c I haven't tried so I'll keep it in mind.

I've also heard good things about using both ends of a ball of yarn to do two socks on two circulars but for the life of me can't figure out how you find both ends (unless you wind it yourself...then that's a whole other story...). most balls of yarn I get from the LYS end up a tangled mess even when they are supposedly already center pull. I pretty much re-wind everything or ask (despite their puzzled looks) for them to wind the skeins into balls for me. Yesterday the lady at my lys said, "you know you don't have to wind those into balls" and I had to explain that I end up w/ lots of yarn vomit if I don't...could I be the only person who prefers everything wound into balls??!?!? Sorry a little OT there...

I think I'll get brave and give it a try in a little bit...right now I'm frantically working on WUA squares and I've got a rhythm going...