PDA

View Full Version : sorta OT

feministmama
10-24-2006, 11:27 AM
So here's a kinda crafty question. When you have old sheets that are threadbare or get holes in em or otherwise need to be retired, do you throw them in the trash or do you cut them up and make something else out of them? I have some old flannel sheets with holes in them but there are a couple of yards of good flannel here. I can't just throw them away can I?

brendajos
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
i never have done it or thought about it really. But maybe you could use them for purse liners? (i don't know the idea of using old sheets sort of weirds me out except maybe for cleaning rags.)

Julie
10-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Or if you're so inclined, you can use them as filler layers in reusable pads -- I have a few friends who use them and I believe they made them from flannel.

cozy
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
I've never thought about this before, but you made me think. Next time I get ready to toss sheets, I may find another use for them--I'd get tons of rags out of it, at least.

Jan in CA
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I never throw them away. They have on occasion been used for drop cloths when painting, but more often they are cut up and used for soft dust cloths, rags for washing the car, rags for DH's hobby (painting), rags for whatever. If they are pretty I can see using the good parts for purse liners though. Great idea!

Phretys
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
My sister's a teacher, and she uses old sheets to cover the computers and some of her bookshelves during school vacations, so she isn't overrun by dust bunnies when she returns.

Debi

cookworm
10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Flannel sheets make AWESOME quilt backs, too--they're soft and toasty warm!

River
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
my mom gave me to 2 sets of sheets that were ruff and horrible to sleep on. So i made curtians out of them, they are thin but they do look nice, i may take them back down and add a lineing to them. I would hang on to them and you may be able to use them later.

Shandeh
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
If you sew, you could make some "happy pants" or "happy shorts" with the fabric!

brendajos
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
"happy pants" or "happy shorts"

those sound naughty! :teehee: :angelgrin:

nadja la claire
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I save all our old sheets. My daughter-in-law does quilting. Also from what I understand you can cut them into strips and knit with them and you can use them to line your knitted bags. I also use them at work. I have a hard time throwing anything away.

Nadja xxx

knitncook
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Quilt liners! I use old sheets inside quilts that I want some weight but not loft. They are perfect for that. Two or three old sheets between the top and backing. If they are cotton sheets they will also help retain heat during those cold winter nights.

Pixywhispers
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I made my sons cloth diapers out of recycled flannel sheets. We were so poor, dh was getting his masters, me with two babies, sewing dipes cause I could not afford disposables.

Thanks for the memories FM. :)