PDA

View Full Version : MY very first ball of handspun yarn!

itsbecca1979
10-26-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm fairly proud of it, it's halfway decent I reckon...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/beccasue1029/01/alpacaball001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/beccasue1029/01/alpacaball002.jpg

Julie
10-26-2006, 04:46 PM
:cheering: It looks soooo soft :inlove:

rebecca
10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
It's lovely! I think it looks wonderful :cheering:
I've not been bitten by the spinning bug like so many of ya'll! Thank goodness! Everyone is doing a great job spinning, too!

Who all has recently begun to spin?
I know Julie and Amy (horve1), I think Silver is spinning, too. Becca is, Sandy, too. I know others, but my memory being what it is, I CAN'T REMEMBER! Sorry, so...who, tell me, tell me....who all is spinning?!

itsbecca1979
10-26-2006, 05:27 PM
yarnfreak is, too (I'm sorry I don't know your name! :muah: )

Eloewien
10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm just learning... not doing too well yet, but getting there very slowly :)

mintdee
10-26-2006, 09:37 PM
I am tooooo :hug:

That yarn is beautiful! looks sooo soft

yarnfreak
10-26-2006, 09:54 PM
yarnfreak is, too (I'm sorry I don't know your name! :muah: )

Yup, that's me! That's okay - my name is Susan. LOL

NinaT
10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Me too! I just got home from my LFS (local fiber store) with a great big bag of wool to spin!

Liliyarn
10-27-2006, 03:19 AM
I spin and spin and spin..... :happydance: And will be at SAFF (saff.org) this weekend.....woohoo

horve1
10-27-2006, 07:25 AM
You spun some lovely yarn! It is so much fun. I did start a little bit, haven't had a chance to do more, but I can't wait to get back to it when I have a couple of things finished.

mullerslanefarm
10-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I've been spinning on a wheel for 4 years and on a drop spindle 3 or 4 years prior to that. Also weaving now too

rebecca
10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I knew that there were lots of you that had taken up spinning, too!

Pink Dandelion
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Lovely yarn! I've just plyed my first handspun yesterday! :woohoo:

To answer Rebecca's question - I'm spiniiiing too!!!! :mrgreen:

Shandeh
11-02-2006, 04:06 AM
I'm still learning, and getting a little better each time I try! :)

dplantlady
11-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I just got my first effort off the niddy-noddy...
Love the color, it's grey/black with a haze of silver/light grey, very pretty, but oh so uneven...<sigh>
I guess it'll get better with practice, at least I hope so...
My problem is I have no idea what to make with it...it's SO thick & thin... :shrug: any suggestions out there?
Diane

Shandeh
11-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Practice is DEFINITELY what works best with spinning. It's a lot harder than knitting, in my opinion.

I mean, when I first learned to knit, my scarf was so PRETTY!

But my first attempts at spinning were overspun and uneven. I've been practicing now for about a year, and I think I'm FINALLY getting yarn that looks good.

dplantlady
11-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I certainly agree that practice will be the ticket...it just seems such a shame to "waste" such pretty fleece on such a shabby effort, but I guess ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Diane :aww:

Shandeh
11-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm the same way. I have some BEAUTIFUL roving, that I just keep holding onto. I don't want to ruin it, you know? So, I practice with the cheaper stuff.

I'll save the good stuff for when I really know what I'm doing.

I guess it's kind of like knitting. When you first start out, you use Red Heart Super Saver. Then, when you REALLY know what you're doing, you look for the GOOD yarn.

Pink Dandelion
11-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Diane - from one newby spinner to another - my second and third efforts were WAY better than my first!! I felt a lot better after that second skein!

As far as what to knit with it, I've been thinking something felted for my own...

Shandeh
11-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Here are the first things I have knit with my homespun.
A little coin purse, and a crooked pillow.

dplantlady
11-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Pink Dandelion,

You're RIGHT! The second bobbin/skein DID come out better!

It's still THICK in places, not quite so thin in others, but there *are* sections where I could feel as I was going along that it was happening just right...just moments, you understand...but *anything's* better than the feeling of "I'll *never* get this..."

I have problems with the wheel turning backwards on me! :teehee: :lol:

Diane

Liliyarn
11-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh you did a change purse too? It's a nifty idea. They do so well with a lining. A friend of mine is installing the zipper for me 'cause I can't sew for nuttin'

With spinning I do well as long as I stick with one fiber, then when I switch breeds or types of fiber, it's like a learning curve all over again. So I always order extra to practice with and make a bit messier.

Pink Dandelion
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
It's still THICK in places, not quite so thin in others, but there *are* sections where I could feel as I was going along that it was happening just right...just moments, you understand...but *anything's* better than the feeling of "I'll *never* get this..."

I have problems with the wheel turning backwards on me! :teehee: :lol:

That's my feeling exactly! I'm certainly not spinning like the 'experienced' spinners are, but after that 2nd skein I felt like maybe I wasn't such a hopeless case and might actually get the hang of this spinning thing!! It helped alot when I went back to the guild the 2nd week and the ladies there could give me pointers once I kinda had the basics.

I've only had a chance to spin for about two weeks (techinically I've 'been spinning' for about a month now, but only done 4 different skeins for a total of about 13 oz of fiber, and I haven't had a chance to spin for almost 2 weeks)

My wheel went backwards SO much, especially in the first week, still does occasionaly! I've found it really hard to hit that 'balance' between going way too fast and overspinning (to keep the wheel moving) but not going so slow that my wheel would lose momentum and go backwards while I was trying to concentrate on drafting evenly. I feel so stupid everytime... especially when it's infront of other spinners and I have to sit there trying to wind my yarn that spun off back onto my bobbin :doh: :wall:

When I tried wheels out at a guild meeting I found that I did better with this on some wheels than others though...

Shandeh - that little coin purse is too cute!! I like that idea for what to do with just a little bit so you can see where you came from without having a huge project you have to work and then stare at ;)

My first tries have used wools too scratchy for a pillow, but your's is adorable!!

Shandeh
11-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Shandeh - that little coin purse is too cute!! I like that idea for what to do with just a little bit so you can see where you came from without having a huge project you have to work and then stare at ;) My first tries have used wools too scratchy for a pillow, but your's is adorable!!

Thanks! :aww:
The little coin purse pattern is right here:
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/pursepat.htm

The pillow is not that soft, so I wouldn't recommend it for resting your head, but it works perfectly as an armrest when I'm knitting.