PDA

View Full Version : Baby in a Bag

CarmenIbanez
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Out of absolutely sheer laziness, I have created a pattern. I wanted a pattern for a "baby in a bag". It is basically a hooded pullover, but instead of ending at the waist, it just goes all the way past the feet and has a drawstring at the bottom like a sleep sack. The laziness part comes when I explain that there is not a bit of seaming at all. It is knit in the round, in one piece all way to the end of the hood. The sleeves are picked up stitches and also knit in the round. I have never designed a pattern before, so I would like for a volunteer or two to receive the yarn and the pattern in the mail and knit it up for me. You can keep the finished product as long as you give me feedback on the instructions and send me a pic of the finished product. Any takers?

I should mention, it is knit on 16" size 13 circulars and you'll need size 13 dpns for the sleeves. I wish I could afford to provide the needles, because that would be cool, but I can't. I will, however, provide the yarn!

Okay so here are the photos. It is knit with Bernat Breeze. Which is one of those yarns that goes thin and think. I honestly don't love the yarn, but I bought a ton of it for a project and then didn't do the project.
Anyway, what I love about this pattern is that it is truly seamless. Yes you bind off for the armholes and then pick up stitches to do the sleeves, but to me that is not seaming. Other than that sleeves, the entire garment is knit in one piece. :teehee:

rebecca
10-27-2006, 02:51 PM
WTG on designing :cheering: :cheering: I'm afraid I can't do the knitting right now, but I know you are going to have lots of volunteers! :cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Well I hope so. It's funny. I always that necessity was the mother of invention, but apparently it's Laziness! I just hate to sew seams. I will decrease and increase and bind off and cast on and 3 needle bind off and knit in the round on circs AND DPNs, all to avoid seaming.

I can't be the only one! :shrug:

rebecca
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh No, you are certainly not the only one, I DETEST seaming! Can't stand it! Don't even come close to liking it :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Lisa Kay
10-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Good for you, designing a pattern! Necessity, laziness, whatever it takes, huh? I'm not a fan of seams either! :wink:

I sent you a PM.

CarmenIbanez
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
And I responded. I am really excited. I have one volunteer. I think I have enough yarn to have a total of two volunteers. Unless someone wants to volunteer to knit it up with some other yarn. I guess I need to figure out the final guage, huh? HORRORS!

jmp3775
10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
PM'ed you

CarmenIbanez
10-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Posted some pics of it!

Jan in CA
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
PM sent...it's adorable! And BTW... I HATE seaming! :teehee:

gardenmommy
10-28-2006, 10:54 PM
If I can find the right size circulars locally, I'm game!

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Yay!

Jan in CA
10-29-2006, 02:31 AM
BTW..I have yarn so all I'll need to know is what type.. worsted, baby, whatever..

Jenelle
10-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Ohh that is so cute Carmen! I'd love to make one sometime in the near future.

I was wondering if there is a sub for this yarn though? I don't remember seeing Bernat Breeze at Wal-mart. :shrug: I'm wondering if RH baby clouds would work.

Jan in CA
10-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I was planning on just using regular baby or worsted yarn. :shrug:

maman
10-29-2006, 03:04 PM
pm'd you if you are still looking for volunteers!

gardenmommy
10-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Would it be possible to use a 19 inch circular? That's the size I get with my Boye interchangeables. Then I'd just have to hunt down size 13 DPNs (although I wonder if I could fudge that slightly with my 11s). I figured you needed 16 inch because that is the standard, and the usual next size up, 24 inch, would probably be too long.

CarmenIbanez
10-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Towards the top, knitting in the round with the 19" will get a little tight. You could always do two circs though. Same with the arms. Have you done knitting in the round with two circs? I just learned a few weeks ago and I love it. I don't think you need to buy needles just for this project.

gardenmommy
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
I just learned 2-circulars too, but I only have the one set of 13s in my Boye set, although isn't there a trick where you mismatch the ends on two circs so you still end up knitting with the one size? :thinking:

cathysoutlaw
10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Please let me know if you still need knitters...I have needles. both the circular and dpn.
Cathy

CarmenIbanez
10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
To all volunteers:

I will send the pattern to anyone who wants to knit it! Thank you all so much for volunteering. I only have yarn for the first three people who already volunteered, but if you have yarn and are willing to give it a go, I am happy to have you help me out. I really appreciate it. I was originally going to finalize the pattern and send out the yarn and stuff today, but I decided to throw together a shrug for me and matching sweater for my dog for our halloween costume, so I am behind a day :teehee: . Hopefully I'll be done with that tonight, so I won't be sending anything out till at least Tuesday.

If you have already sent me your address, great, if not, PM me with your address (or email address if you'd like to receive the pattern via email).

Thank you again so much! I can't wait to hear all the (totally honest!) feedback! :hug:

XbelovedXoneX
10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
This is a wonderful pattern! I would volunteer to be a test knitter, but I don't know when I could get to it so I better not! I hope the pattern will available in the future... I looooove seamless projects!

aineepooh1
10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
I can't knit it right now because of my hetic crazy life but I :heart: :heart: :heart: what I see so far

ARE YOU GOING TO POST IT SO WE ALL CAN KNIT IT LATER????? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

IT HAS two elements I love.. Large needles, no seaming!!!
:cheering: :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
10-31-2006, 03:34 PM

You're a knitter after my own heart and the exact reason I designed this pattern! :-)

Stonington
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
I can't knit it right now because of my hetic crazy life but I :heart: :heart: :heart: what I see so far

ARE YOU GOING TO POST IT SO WE ALL CAN KNIT IT LATER????? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I would love to knit this as well... but with my Christmas list ever growing it won't be until after the holidays.. you did a beautiful job! :cheering: Look forward to trying the pattern.

anne
n. sebago ME

CarmenIbanez
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Thank you for all the feedback! I have sent out notices to the six knitters who are going to test knit this for me. I am sending out the pattern and yarn today! Yipppeeeee!

A few notes: I don't write patterns. So I am totally winging it. What is a very simple garment, looks complicated based on the pattern. I think I may have actually put in too many details. But you can all critique me as you go along. I really need a lot of honest feedback. The knitters who volunteered are all along the spectrum of skill levels, so that is great. I emailed the pattern to the three of you who are using your own yarn. I will send the pattern to the three who are receiving the yarn, with the yarn. Unless you want to receive the pattern via email.

thank you all so much! :heart: :hug:

Stiney
11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Actually, can I have the pattern? I've got two babies I can knit x-mas presents for, and this sounds cute!

CarmenIbanez
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Because things just always work out this way. The yarn I used for this, which I purchased sometime last year (yes 2005) is discontinued. So for those of you doing your own yarn thing, you will need a substitute. Some ideas are: Bernat Glacier, Bernat MAX or Caron Simply Soft Quick.

I don't have the label in front of me, so I don't have the estimate of yardage needed. I will post it later. Thanks ladies!

pauly81
11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
thats so cute I just had to send that to my friend

Jan in CA
11-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Did you figure out about how much yardage yet? I have a Michael's 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket! :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
11-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Can you freakin' believe that there is no yardage estimate on the :!!!:ing skein?????? OY!

Someone has to have info on this yarn. What is that yarn site? Yarndex? I am going to check there.

Jan in CA
11-02-2006, 04:52 AM
Good grief. :doh: :teehee: I will get a couple skeins of a bulky or heavy worsted yarn and see what happens. :hug:

CarmenIbanez
11-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I know, isn't it annoying? No wonder they discontinued the yarn!!!!

Jan in CA
11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Oooo Andee! Looky what I found! Is this the right yarn? Maybe you can figure it out from this.

Ebay Bernat Breeze (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bernat-Breeze-Acrylic-Yarn-Violet-Crush-NLA_W0QQitemZ300043149007QQihZ020QQcategoryZ75569Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Yep, that is the stuff! I like that purple color.

CarmenIbanez
11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi everyone! Yes, I did not get the packages out before I went away last week. I just was too crazy with everything I had to do for the trip. I will send them out today. Hope you all are well!

CarmenIbanez
11-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Okay, I think we have found our first typo in the pattern. It seems that I say to pick up 20 stitches around the armhole. But if you have 10 on each side and five on top and five on the bottom of the hole, that adds up 30! Aren't you all so glad that I am teaching math to today's youth? :-) I am also going to ask the mods to move this to the KAL section so we can resolve questions and so on here. :-)

robynbird
11-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Totally LOVE this! Can't wait for the pattern to be shared. :)

gardenmommy
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Here's where i'm up to so far!

CarmenIbanez
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
It's preeeeeeety! I am so excited to see how it all turns out for everyone. Then I will find a way to make it downloadable from somewhere. I have a website, I guess I should use it.

misstialouise
11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
OMG!!

I've only just found this post.. <cry>

I need something like this for my bub for when we go camping next year....

Any chance you still need a volunteer?? He'll be about 6mths by then.. is it big enough for a bub that big??

knitaddict
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I *so* want to make this!!! Will you be sharing the pattern soon? Or can I volunteer to be a guinea pig a little bit late? :heart:

XbelovedXoneX
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I hope the pattern will be published soon! I've gotten a few knits out of the way and since my friend is having a baby soon I am obsessing over any cute baby knits@

lissalue
11-14-2006, 12:51 AM
i would also love to try!! my baby is almost three months old, and my neice is having a baby, and my best friend is having twins, well you get the picture, i am looking for lots of good baby stuff now that i can knit!! can't wait till the pattern is available.

CarmenIbanez
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I have made one correction to the pattern and as soon as a couple of my volunteers finish, I will make the pattern available to everyone! I am so excited that you are all excited about my first pattern. :-)

jmp3775
11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm about 1/3 through. So far, so good. I'll check back in soon.

Jan in CA
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I started the "baby in a bag" pattern but, I got sidetracked by attempting to do some Christmas knitting though. I am using Lion Brand Jiffy which isn't quite the same gauge, but I can at least pattern test. One thing I notice is that hem at the bottom is super bulky. I think another option that would work and actually be easier would be to just knit eyelets (YO's) about 1.5-2 in above the CO. :thinking:

CarmenIbanez
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
I started the "baby in a bag" pattern but, I got sidetracked by attempting to do some Christmas knitting though. I am using Lion Brand Jiffy which isn't quite the same gauge, but I can at least pattern test. One thing I notice is that hem at the bottom is super bulky. I think another option that would work and actually be easier would be to just knit eyelets (YO's) about 1.5-2 in above the CO. :thinking:

Eyelet might work well. I didn't really have a problem with the hem on mine. Once you tighten it up, it seems to be okay. But eyelets would certainly also work.

gardenmommy
11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm ready to start on the hood portion.

I'm just hoping I did the cable cast on correctly at the top of the arm holes when I get ready to pick up the stitches around them. I was without decent internet over the weekend, so I had to go by my Vogue Knitting book instead of Amy's video!

jmp3775
11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I hemmed mine up yesterday when I got to the end of a skein. I was going to say the same thing about it being a little bulky. I did a crochet chain for the drawstring, and just hemmed over it so I didnt have to thread it through. When pulled shut, it doesnt seem as bulky, but I was thinking eyelets may be a good option, too.

CarmenIbanez
11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm ready to start on the hood portion.

I'm just hoping I did the cable cast on correctly at the top of the arm holes when I get ready to pick up the stitches around them. I was without decent internet over the weekend, so I had to go by my Vogue Knitting book instead of Amy's video!

If you have an opening for the arms, it really doesn't matter if the cable cast on is right or not. Once you pick up the stitches, the little flaws won't show!

Question about the hem vs. drawstring: Do you think it is the bulky the yarn, or just the hem in general? Do you think in worsted it would be too bulky as well? Just curious.

jmp3775
11-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking its the bulky yarn. I just made a baby hat with the same hem out of worsted and it was fine.

Jan in CA
11-16-2006, 02:33 PM
I think it is 'mostly' the bulky yarn. My thought with the eyelets is you don't have to hem so one less step, too. :teehee: I also like the little ruffle edge it would create.

CarmenIbanez
11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
My thought with the eyelets is you don't have to hem so one less step, too. :teehee:

A woman after my own heart! :rofl:

aineepooh1
11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I haven't posted in a while Carmen but I am keeping up with this post!! I most undoubtedly will knit mine in a bulky yarn so I will also be trying the eyelets!! I am looking forward to knitting it in about a month!! :happydance: :happydance: but I REALLY like what I see!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Stiney
11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
How long do you think the i-cord should be?

CarmenIbanez
11-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Well I made mine entirely too long! I think it depends on how you want to tie it. I would say it only needs to be about double the bottom of the bag. So however many inches around the cast on edge is (all the way around), double that? What do you think?

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that the pattern is now available to download from my website (www.astridpullis.com).

misstialouise
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that the pattern is now available to download from my website (www.astridpullis.com).

At the low low price of one MEEEEEEEEEEllion dollars. *evil grin*

Jan in CA
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Good to know you have it on your site should my computer die and my hard copy disappear!

I've started it, but I have had too many other things going on to finish it. :wall:

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, me too. I have knitting ADD right now.

Stiney
11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
I finished it, except for adding the drawstring. I was having brain difficulties the day I tried and couldn't figure out how to stitch it properly. I haven't gone back to finish it off. I'll try and finish it soon and post pictures.

knitaddict
11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Woohoo!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I can't wait to knit this up for the new little knit addict. :)

CarmenIbanez
11-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Zippy-dooooooo! :woot:

misstialouise
11-29-2006, 12:44 AM
How hard would it be to resize for a 6-9mth old?

robynbird
11-29-2006, 02:33 AM
YAY thank you thank you!!

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
How hard would it be to resize for a 6-9mth old? Not that hard. Let me look something up and I'll post the info.

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
It looks like there is only about a 6% difference between the standard size for 3 mo and the standard size for 6 mo. You should be able to convert the pattern by increasing all the directions by 6%. The hood is only thing that might get tricky. My advice with the hood is to just do an additional increase row to make the hood bigger. Once you start on the hood, you can see how the stitches work on the row to increase the size. You can just add one or two increase rows. Does that make sense?

gardenmommy
12-05-2006, 12:53 PM
OK, I totally forgot to mark the place on the hood after the decreases are done, where you start working straight (the pattern says 5.5 inches). How long is the entire neck opening from where you first start working straight to the top where you do the 3NBO so I can have a ballpark figure. I don't want to go overboard on the size of the hood, so I have enough yarn left for the sleeves, I-cord, and enough to hem with.

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 01:00 PM
OK, I totally forgot to mark the place on the hood after the decreases are done, where you start working straight (the pattern says 5.5 inches). How long is the entire neck opening from where you first start working straight to the top where you do the 3NBO so I can have a ballpark figure. I don't want to go overboard on the size of the hood, so I have enough yarn left for the sleeves, I-cord, and enough to hem with.

Okay, since I have given away the one I knit, I am going to say that where you start working straight is only four rows or five rows before the increasing for the hood starts, the increasing for the hood is 6 rows, then 5.5 inches after that. 13 rows to 4" approx., so 9-10" total? Does that make sense. I am understanding your question, right?

gardenmommy
12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Yup, that makes sense! Thanks!

CarmenIbanez
12-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Any FOs on this yet? I want pictures!!!

Stiney
12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I still haven't seamed up the bottom. :oops:

It's been sitting on my dresser for weeks, taunting me.

Jan in CA
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I haven't had time to get to it again! :doh:

CarmenIbanez
12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
taunting me.

And me!

jmp3775
12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I've been a little crazy with the holidays, the 2yr old and the new baby! I'm up to the sleeves but havent had a chance to pick it up in a while!

Stiney
12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, I finally finished it off. I don't think I'll ever give it to anyone, because of the Homespun. Too much space between stitches for it to be warm.

I didn't seam it, because I just couldn't deal with it. I didn't make eyelets, but the Homespun was so spacy anyway I could thread the drawstring through the bottom.

http://static.flickr.com/142/324504892_840ce29d32.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/139/324500596_d6450a1592.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/134/324500597_e4310ed790.jpg

Jan in CA
12-17-2006, 03:48 AM
It's cute anyway! Find a little girl with a doll or stuff animal to give it to. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
12-17-2006, 12:33 PM
So the yarn wasn't great. Tell me about the construction. Do you think you'd like it in a different yarn? Was the pattern okay to follow? Feedback, woman! :teehee:

Stiney
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I think it would work in a bulky "plain" yarn. But I'd have to knit a swatch to make sure.

The construction is good, but I'm totally down with the eyelets instead of seaming the bottom. The hood looked kinda big and the arms kinda short, but this may be accurate for babies, but I'm not sure, because I don't exactly see babies every day. :teehee:

Jan in CA
12-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I restarted mine and put eyelets as well. Then there will be NO seaming.

CarmenIbanez
12-17-2006, 03:31 PM
The hood looked kinda big and the arms kinda short, but this may be accurate for babies, but I'm not sure, because I don't exactly see babies every day. :teehee:

Think of it this way: take your arms and put them above your head, in a circle so your hands are touching. Now imagine if your head was so big that your hands could not touch each other. That is how a baby is proportioned!
:teehee: It's a wonder they ever learn to stand up.

I am thinking I will rewrite the pattern with eyelets so there is truly no seaming required at all! Thanks for the feedback.

feminine_earth
12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Please let us know when you rewrite the pattern with the eyelets...I would absolutley LOVE to knit this, but I'm terrible at seaming. :oops:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I just had to pop in and tell you that EVERY time I browse the KAL forum and see the title of this thread, I get the :oo:HEEBIE JEEBIES:oo:

:oops:

Stiney
12-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I just had to pop in and tell you that EVERY time I browse the KAL forum and see the title of this thread, I get the :oo:HEEBIE JEEBIES:oo:

:oops:

At least the title of the thread isn't "Baby Body Bag," which is how I referred to the project while it was OTN. :rofl:

CarmenIbanez
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
KellyK wrote:
I just had to pop in and tell you that EVERY time I browse the KAL forum and see the title of this thread, I get the HEEBIE JEEBIES

Yeah, I know. The actual patter is called "Sterling in a Bag" which is the name of the baby it was created for!

Please let us know when you rewrite the pattern with the eyelets...I would absolutley LOVE to knit this, but I'm terrible at seaming.

You could just wing it. It wouldn't be that hard. It will be a few days before i get around to it.[/quote]

aineepooh1
12-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Carmen
Are you close to have a finished pattern for us?? :?? I have been anxiously waiting to start this for ~ 11/2 months..
I have to start soon because I won't have any free time come January
~ :hug: :hug:
Judy

CarmenIbanez
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry, you must have missed the post on this thread that says how to get the pattern. If you go to my website, www.astridpullis.com, you can download the pattern.

aineepooh1
12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
thanks Carmen.. I just downloaded and printed it..!~~
Thanks
I will let you know how it goes if you are interested~~

CarmenIbanez
12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
That would be great!