PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Knitters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Shandeh
10-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Since I'm a native Carolinian, and I still live here, I guess I'm as good as anybody to start a thread for North Carolina knitters.

I was born in Charlotte, and have lived in the vicinity my whole life. I would love to get to know other knitters in the area.

lizzitude
10-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I grew up in SC, but have lived in NC for over 25 years now. I live in Clemmons, just outside of Winston Salem, and have been knitting for just about a year now. I've become badly addicted!

tmsl
10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I live in Hickory, but am originally from Virginia. I have traveled all over the state to many different yarn stores. My current favorite is Knit Picky in Winston-Salem. Lizzitude-have you been to this one yet? The owner is very nice and has a great selection of yarns.

Would love to have a knit-together and meet some of you!!!

:waving:

Laura

lizzitude
10-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes, I love Knit Picky.....it is a really friendly store, and that's where I head first. Let me know if you come to shop - maybe we could meet up there!

hedgehog
10-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I didn't grow up in NC - i'm a Mid-Westerner. But I've lived on and off in NC for the past 14 years now, with a 5.5 year chunk in the middle spent living in England while working on my PhD. But i always came back to NC when coming home to the US as my entire family has moved here. Before England, i lived in Greenville for years and now I'm in Greensboro, but also spend a quite a fair amount of time in Wilmington as well.

It's funny, i don't really know any knitters because i'm self-taught. So i spend most of my time "talking" to other knitters here, not in the flesh. I haven't been to Knit Picky - i guess i should check it out!!

:waving:
-hh

knitaholic
10-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Don't forget me--I live in Gastonia, N.C--born & raised here.

Knitaholic :waving:

Shandeh
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Woo Hoo! Lots and lots of NC Knitters! :happydance:

I love it! :cheering:

CreativeCreature
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I am a new North Carolinian. We moved to Wilmington almost a year ago now. I LOVE it here and wish we had moved here 10 years ago!!

I am a new knitter, still learning the ropes but I LOVE it already and I'm anxious to learn more and move on to more 'interesting' (read: difficult) projects. Knitting scarfs is useful for learning but it feels tedious to me. I'll have to knit a bunch to give to family and friends out of state because I don't really need a scarf anymore. LOL

I've found a great yarn store here in Wilmington and I'm very excited to start buying quality yarns (as opposed to yarn from Wal*Mart!), I look forward to building my new stash up. Although I'm sure my husband isn't going to be thrilled with the idea of me spending more money on yet ANOTHER craft. :teehee:

Looking forward to getting to know y'all. :waving:

Louine
11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi, I am in NC----but almost to the SC line (7 1/2 miles away)....I live in Ocean Ridge Plantation a neighborhood just off of highway 17 and south of Shallotte, NC.

I have to go to Wilmington, NC or the old Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle, SC beach to find a yarn store.....the one near the swing bridge going to Cherry Grove Beach is great. I am a school teacher with limited time so I buy yarn on line most often....however, I am retiring at the end of this year and look forward to knitting even more.

tmsl
11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
For you eastern NC knitters, I have been to Angel Wings in Southport, Island Knits in Pawley's Island and the one in N. Myrtle Beach that I can never remember the name of. It helps that the person who got me started lives in N. Myrtle and she has taken me yarn shopping. :teehee:

I told you guys I have been to a lot of yarn stores in NC, not all but a lot. Still more to conquer!!!

Laura

Shavon
11-03-2006, 08:26 PM
:waving: Another NC person over here! I currently live in Greensboro, although I've lived all over the Carolinas it seems: hometown and family in Rocky Mount, spent 2 years at a residential high school in Durham, college in Winston-Salem, grad school in Columbia, SC and now I've been living in Greensboro the past 3 years - whew! But I love living in Greensboro the most, and this place really feels like "home" for me.

I don't really "talk" to many knitters locally either - some of my coworkers at my former job used to knit during lunchtime, but I learned to knit after I left that job. I bet they'd be surprised to know I am an obsessed knitter now! :rofl: I still go to Winston some, so I might have to check out Knit Picky. I have frequented A.C. Moore constantly since I've learned to knit this year, so I've just recently been to one LYS - The Stitch Point - and I'm slowly starting to realize why everyone loves LYS so much. I really need to start branching out and finding some more.

Nice to meet all of you!

Annyka
11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I've just been in NC a year, and have picked up knitting again recently.

I'm in Bethania (NW border of Winston-Salem), and work out on the Greensboro/High Point border (along Hwy 68, just south of I-40).

Haven't been to any of the LYS yet, have gotten yarn and supplies from WalMart or Joanne.

hedgehog
11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
:waving: Yea! Hiya to all the new posters on this thread!

It's nice to see how many NC knitters we have. :)

For those in the Greensboro area - there are two other shops that are really good.

Yarns, etc which is in downtown Greensboro on the corner of Elm and Washington (i think that's the corner.. i know it's on Elm for sure). It has lots of nice yarns AND stuff for spinning, including wheels, roving and classes. It's quite a large shop and there is a sister shop in Cary (?), i think.

This and That is probably my favorite shop in G'boro - it's the little yellow/white house near the corner of Elm and Cornwallis (on Cornwallis in between Church and Elm). It's small and a little pricey, but it's a beautiful shop full of yarn, yarn, and more gorgeous yarn! It's a little more on the luxury end of yarns, i think, although they do have all sorts. They also have classes and gathering nights (although i've never been). They also carry all sorts of fancy buttons and other notions as well as hand made jewelry and other local crafts. It's a real "gift-y" shop. Try it, but beware of it's addictive properties!

I used to hang out at A.C. Moore all the time too. I can spend HOURS in that place!! But i don't work near there anymore so i'm not there as often.. and my wallet can tell the difference!! :)

-hh :waving:

lissalue
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I am a knitting newbie in shelby, nc!! been here my whole life, well, i actually grew up in kings mountain. are there any good yarn stores near here? all i have found are walmart and michaels.

Shandeh
11-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I am a knitting newbie in shelby, nc!! been here my whole life, well, i actually grew up in kings mountain. are there any good yarn stores near here? all i have found are walmart and michaels.

Here's the Yarn Store Map (http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand.php?sp_theme=BRAND&origBr=KNITTING_SHOPS&pan=&recenterX=&recenterY=&zoomlevel=16894.628571428573&imgbox=-1+-1+-1+-1&zoomBand=&extent=-82.095931713+34.935048536+-80.9849107894+35.6498053301&noOfLayers=1&layer=&layerx=&remove=&imgext=-129.88+22.766+-61.83+51.95&rawminx=117.830193&rawminy=-42.704092&rawmaxx=155.269129&rawmaxy=-8.412631&singlePoint=&stick=&latitude=&longitude=&symbolName=&sp_table=&sp_id=&sp_zoom=&agtid=&setPoint=&setStick=yes&setLat=35.2916683530705&setLong=-81.5401494330776&setSymbol=LKUP&goto=&gotoLoc=&matchLine1=Shelby%2C+North+Carolina&matchLine2=&spet=&image_url=%2Fre1%2Ftmp1%2F1162954914323651.gif&map_width=40&main_topic=&machine=find.mapmuse.com&directory=re1&map_name=map_brand&doScr=260&otm=&mp_table=&mp_ids=&demoLat=35.29243&demoLong=-81.54042&demoScale=8447.31428571&flex=&lFn=&layer0=KNITTING_SHOPS&layer1=&search0=&searchKeys0=&selMoreTopsIntr=null&selMoreTopsBrnd=null&selMoreTopsAccm=null&chkTopic=KNITTING_SHOPS&placeInput=&select=4) for your part of North Carolina:

lissalue
11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks so much! that is really neat. I am going to gastonia thursday so i will check that one out!! woo hoo!!

tmsl
11-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Lissalue,

I would call them first to make sure they are what you are looking for. A couple in my area were yarn manufactures that were out of business not retail stores.

Have fun!!

Laura

lissalue
11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
thanks, i will definately call ahead. i would hate to show up at some warehouse or something! :teehee:

jujore
11-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi - I'm brand new to this board. Have never been to NC, but daughter & her family recently moved to the Charlotte area from NJ. I am eager to visit and probably will, as soon as they've moved from their temporary quarters into their house. At this point I don't know whether I'll be down prior to, or after the holidays.

I'd be particularly interested to hear about any independent yarn shops (not ACMoore/Michael's) near Indian Trail. Or any outstanding shops closer in town. I'd enjoy meeting other knitters, though at holiday time that would probably be unlikely. May have to save that for another trip. BTW, my daughter doesn't knit. I expect I will be flying in to Charlotte a few times a year.

I'm not a new knitter, but haven't knit very much, and I'm not very advanced. I've recently become addicted to sock knitting. I belong to very nice guild in my area that I enjoy. The creativity of the members is amazing. I mostly observe and say "I wish I could do that". -j

OTN: socks in self-patterned yarn/dishcloth for practice/charity baby afghan

lissalue
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Here's the Yarn Store Map (http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand.php?sp_theme=BRAND&origBr=KNITTING_SHOPS&pan=&recenterX=&recenterY=&zoomlevel=16894.628571428573&imgbox=-1+-1+-1+-1&zoomBand=&extent=-82.095931713+34.935048536+-80.9849107894+35.6498053301&noOfLayers=1&layer=&layerx=&remove=&imgext=-129.88+22.766+-61.83+51.95&rawminx=117.830193&rawminy=-42.704092&rawmaxx=155.269129&rawmaxy=-8.412631&singlePoint=&stick=&latitude=&longitude=&symbolName=&sp_table=&sp_id=&sp_zoom=&agtid=&setPoint=&setStick=yes&setLat=35.2916683530705&setLong=-81.5401494330776&setSymbol=LKUP&goto=&gotoLoc=&matchLine1=Shelby%2C+North+Carolina&matchLine2=&spet=&image_url=%2Fre1%2Ftmp1%2F1162954914323651.gif&map_width=40&main_topic=&machine=find.mapmuse.com&directory=re1&map_name=map_brand&doScr=260&otm=&mp_table=&mp_ids=&demoLat=35.29243&demoLong=-81.54042&demoScale=8447.31428571&flex=&lFn=&layer0=KNITTING_SHOPS&layer1=&search0=&searchKeys0=&selMoreTopsIntr=null&selMoreTopsBrnd=null&selMoreTopsAccm=null&chkTopic=KNITTING_SHOPS&placeInput=&select=4) for your part of North Carolina:

here is a yarn map, but i was told to call ahead and make sure they actually stores, not manufacturers. hope you enjoy your visits.

Shandeh
11-13-2006, 05:21 AM
I'd be particularly interested to hear about any independent yarn shops (not ACMoore/Michael's) near Indian Trail. Or any outstanding shops closer in town. I'd enjoy meeting other knitters, though at holiday time that would probably be unlikely. May have to save that for another trip. BTW, my daughter doesn't knit. I expect I will be flying in to Charlotte a few times a year.

Indian Trail???!!!! That's where I live!!!!! http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif

I guess we know now that we will probably get to meet! :mrgreen:

There are plenty of options for buying yarn in Charlotte. I haven't been to all of them, but here are the ones I have seen.

Cottage Yarn (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/) (my cousin's store located in Mint Hill)
The Peace of Yarn (http://thepeaceofyarn.com/) (now located in Matthews)
The Yarn Shop by Rainy Day Creations (http://www.rainydaycreationsinc.com/) (located in historic Pineville, near Carolina Place Mall)

Here are some other yarn shops in Charlotte that I have yet to investigate.
Baskets of Yarn (http://www.basketsofyarn.com/) - I've heard that she doesn't have prices on the baskets, so I'm tempted to go there and yell out "How much is this one?" over and over again at each basket I come to. :teehee:
Charlotte Yarn (http://www.charlotteyarn.com/) - don't know anything about that place.
Stitch Fine Yarns (http://www.stitchcharlotte.com/default2.shtml) - ditto

Here is the Yarn Store Map (http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand.php?goto=yes&gotoLoc=35.2269%2C-80.8433%2C40&noOfLayers=1&layer0=KNITTING_SHOPS&sp_theme=KNITTING_SHOPS&searchLOC2=35.2269,-80.8433,40,&) for Charlotte.
(Peace of Yarn has moved to Matthews, so the map is not correct on that one.)

Eloewien
11-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not in NC, but I'm not far from it up in VA. I'm about 2 1/2 hours north of Charlotte if you take I-77 in a little town called Pulaski. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any knitting groups I can find info on up here, so I'm a lonely knitter! There's also only one LYS with very limited selection unless I want to drive up to Roanoke. If you guys ever get together in the Charlotte area- let me know and I'll have to make it down there! I love meeting other knitters!
Also, if anyone is ever wandering up I-77 to I-81 let me know, I'm only 4 miles of the highway at home and right on it for work. It's a great place to stop for a break on your way north!

Laura

Shandeh
11-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Cool, Laura!

I think we should plan a LYS Crawl in Charlotte. We can investigate all the shops, and take notes comparing them, then put a report in here. Maybe we could even take photos of us at each location!

I think that would be kinda fun. I could try to check out the church van, and we could all ride together for the tour. :teehee: We could get big magnetic signs to put all around the van that say,
"CAROLINA KNITTERS ON BOARD - YARN STORES, HERE WE COME!"

lissalue
11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
that sounds so fun! :cheering: so like something me and my family or me and my friends would do. we are a crazy bunch! :eyes: i would love to go, i am a bit intimidated by charlotte. so going around with a group would be great. i would also love to meet other knitters. the only one i know is my husbands aunt. everyone else i know crochets, they all say they tried knitting but it was too slow, hard, etc. :?? it isn't the easiest thing i have done, but i am finding it fun and very worthwhile.
hopefully my denise's will come today so i can try out knitting in the round, or at least knitting on something besides the size 11 bamboo needles i have (the only needles i have :teehee: ).
i finished my first scarf and i am about ten rows in on my second! :happydance: i love knitting! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

lizzitude
11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Count me in too - it sounds like a lot of fun! I have a good friend in Charlotte that I could stay with.....

Shandeh
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Woo Hoo! A Charlotte Yarn Store Crawl!

Since it's the CRAZY holiday season right now, let's wait til January. Is that okay with the rest of you?

lissalue
11-14-2006, 01:00 AM
that is fine with me. shandeh, i want to go check out your cousins yarn store sometime, especially since i am trying to knit christmas presents for a lot of people. i went to her site and her store looks really nice and cozy. i'll have to find a good time to go.

Shandeh
11-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Oh, neat! She is such a friendly person. She is my mother's first cousin, but she and I never really spent that much time together until she started the yarn store. Now, we have LOTS in common!

Let me know when you're going, and maybe I can come the same day. :)

lizzitude
11-14-2006, 08:08 AM
January sounds great......

maman
11-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmm...PeaceofYarn has a child play area and a coffee lounge??? Are these rumors true?? I am tempted to try it out soon.

I mainly go to Charlotte Yarn, because everyone is soooo nice and I think the prices are pretty reasonable. Also, they have $10 grab bags of yarn which have GREAT surprises -- always 5 skeins/balls. The last one I bought had two $9.99 balls, an $8 a $5 and a $23.50 ball of ribbony something-or-other. ALL FOR $10!!! The owner is Remi, and she is just a sweet young pregnant gal. They offer classes and private instruction, but will always sit down and teach/help you. They also have a washing machine in-shop and will felt for you.

Stitch seems to cater to a bit higher-end clientele, and I have heard many rumors that a few of the saleswomen are quite snooty (just rumors, no confirmation, but the joke is that "Stitch rhymes with...."

However, I am friends with Katherine at Stitch, and she is SOOOOOO nice and helpful). I just try to only go on Saturdays since she works then :)

I went to a yarn store in Blowing Rock, NC, which was a neat little nook. Can't really comment on slection or prices (although they seemed a touch high) since I just did a quick browse-through for wool with my toddler.

Please let me know when everyone comes in for the Yarn crawl :)

Shandeh
11-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I think that the play area stuff must have been at the old location of Peace of Yarn, because the new location is very small. I could be wrong, though. :thinking: (It wouldn't the first time!)

I'll definitely be checking out Charlotte Yarn now! Those grab bags sound appealing!

I'll also be sure to let you know when the yarn store crawl is scheduled. We just all need to come to an agreement about when / where to meet / what to do. I'm not really the best person at planning parties and such, but I'll do my best to help!

lissalue
11-17-2006, 01:13 PM
i may have to check out both charlotte yarn and peace of yarn, they aren't that far away in the whole scheme of things, especially peace of yarn with it's being on 485 and all, if i can only find the time, and convince my dh that more yarn and other supplies are a good thing :??

knotmaker
11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
I have been away from the forum for awhile but I am back now ... I am in Calabash, NC ... about 1 mile north of the SC boarder. I moved here from MA just about 4 years ago now ...

Shandeh
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Welcome back, knotmaker!

Seedy
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm in Asheville and my sister lives near Charlotte. Next time I visit her I'm definitely going to check out the yarn shops! (We have a couple of good ones here but I'm hoping to find some different stuff.)

Belphoebe
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Hello NC knitters! I currently live in Morganton by way of Iowa. Any advice for shops?

Belphoebe
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Hello NC knitters! I currently live in Morganton by way of Iowa. Any advice for shops?

Belphoebe
12-11-2006, 02:11 PM

Shandeh
12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Belphoebe, you are quite insistent! :teehee:

Belphoebe
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
OOPS! :oops: Didn't realize I'd double posted. :oops:

Shandeh
12-11-2006, 07:15 PM
OOPS! :oops: Didn't realize I'd double posted. :oops:
No worries. I do it all the time. :hug:
It's this silly forum....sometimes it acts up.

Danielle
12-12-2006, 10:45 PM
HI!
I just now came across this thread. I live in Waynesville, NC (aka Waynesvegas :teehee: ). There is only one place in Waynesville that carries yarn. But, in Asheville, (about 30 mins from me) there are a few good yarn stores. The Yarn Nook, Yarn Paradise, and Earth Guild. All three are great stores for anyone who is ever up this way. If there ever is a NC Knitter get together, please let me know! I would definately come! :happydance:

Shandeh
12-14-2006, 12:36 AM

Here is the Yarn Store Map (http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand.php?sp_theme=BRAND&origBr=KNITTING_SHOPS&pan=&recenterX=&recenterY=&zoomlevel=&imgbox=-1+-1+-1+-1&zoomBand=&extent=-82.6514421747+34.5776701389+-80.4294003277+36.0071837272&noOfLayers=1&layer=&layerx=&remove=&imgext=-129.88+22.766+-61.83+51.95&rawminx=117.830193&rawminy=-42.704092&rawmaxx=155.269129&rawmaxy=-8.412631&singlePoint=&stick=&latitude=&longitude=&symbolName=&sp_table=&sp_id=&sp_zoom=&agtid=&setPoint=&setStick=yes&setLat=35.2916683530705&setLong=-81.5401494330776&setSymbol=LKUP&goto=yes&gotoLoc=35.1884%2C-79.8137%2C475&matchLine1=Shelby%2C+North+Carolina&matchLine2=&spet=&image_url=%2Fre1%2Ftmp1%2F116607064144171.gif&map_width=80&main_topic=&machine=find.mapmuse.com&directory=re1&map_name=map_brand&doScr=0&otm=&mp_table=&mp_ids=&demoLat=35.29243&demoLong=-81.54042&demoScale=16894.6285714&flex=&lFn=&layer0=KNITTING_SHOPS&layer1=&search0=&searchKeys0=&selMoreTopsIntr=null&selMoreTopsBrnd=null&selMoreTopsAccm=null&chkTopic=KNITTING_SHOPS&placeInput=&select=10) for North Carolina. Hopefully, you can find something there!

Belphoebe
12-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Thank you! :muah:

Shandeh
12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
You're welcome, Bel! I don't know why I didn't post it earlier. I'm just a KNIT wit. :teehee:

Piggalette
12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I am also in NC. Originally from S. Texas, though I learned to knit from a great friend when I was living near Albany, NY. I am back in Raleigh now. I am really loving this area and have found a knitting group that meets bimonthly in Wake Forest. I am still a novice knitter. I am trying to adapt to continental style from my makeshift style that I devised. While my way works just fine with straight needles, I'd never be able to use circulars. (I've been balancing the left in my lap and throwing the yarn.) Ah well, no one ever said change was easy. :)

Belphoebe
12-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Has anyone been to the yarn shops in Hickory? I've got some time this weekend and I thought I'd venture over.

Belphoebe
12-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Has anyone been to the yarn shops in Hickory? I've got some time this weekend and I thought I'd venture over.

Shandeh
12-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Sorry Bel. I've never been to the shops in Hickory. I've never ventured further than Charlotte since I started knitting 4 years ago.

I'm still hoping that we can have a get-together for North Carolina knitters. I'm very sick right now, so I can't do any planning. Just post your ideas here and we'll see what we can work out. We could have it in Charlotte, or another city, depending on the number of KH knitters we have in the different cities. It would be great if one of you has a large van or SUV that holds 10 or more. That way, we could meet, then ride together to tour the yarn shops in the city where we congregate.

I was originally wanting to meet for my birthday, but I can't see that happening now that I have whooping cough. (My birthday is January 7th.)

Belphoebe
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
:verysad: OH! I do hope you get to feeling better VERY soon!

lizzitude
12-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Ditto! Get well soon!

RuthK
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I just had to pop in here and say hi, even though I don't live in NC anymore. I was born and raised in Greenville, then spent 6 years in Durham. (In fact, I think I probably went to the same high school that someone - Shavon? - went to.)

After hopping all over the south, I'm in Atlanta now, but miss NC and would love to end up there for good someday!

Shandeh
12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Come back! We miss you! :)

Belphoebe
12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I think I found another yarn store...this time in Valdese. I saw the sign on my way to Hickory and will fill you all in when I know more. They have a website though, www.hollybeeyarns.com .

Shandeh
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
That appears to be a yarn manufacturing company. They sell their own yarns in the retail shop. I don't think they carry other brands, though. But, they might have some good stuff - you never know until you try!

Shandeh
12-29-2006, 08:58 PM
:verysad: OH! I do hope you get to feeling better VERY soon!
:muah: Thank you, Bel!

vikynet
01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Hello all, I am in State Road NC. Just north of Elkin. I've only been knitting for about a year, self taught, with a little help from this web site the ladies in a yarn store in Elkin. A Circle of Yarn is the store. Very nice and helpful. They laughed when I birthed my first hat. I started knitting funfur scarfs and wanted to make hats to match. so I did. More recently I've made several baby hats but am having a hard time grasping the concept of gaging stitches. With the baby hats I just went by sight on the size. I'm pretty close but would like to learn how to properly gague.

Anyway, I am about an hour north of Charlotte and would love to go on the YS crawl. Mostly for the chance to meet other knitters and learn some more tricks of the trade.

Shandeh, I know its been a while since your post that you were sick. I hope you are better now.

Shandeh
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi vikynet!

I'm feeling much better. Thanks for asking! :heart:

My knee is still bothering me, but that's the story of my life lately. I would love to get something set up for us all to meet soon. Do any of you have a van we could use? I'm sure we could all chip in to pay for the gas during our yarn store crawl.

gollygeeitsamy
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself! I am a newbie knitter. :waving: I'm from a little town just north of Greensboro and at the moment I'm a student at Appalachian State in Boone! I've just been knitting for about 1 1/2 years and I haven't ventured out from scarves, hats and headbands. Hopefully I can find enough time to make a sweater, thats my goal for 2007!

Shandeh
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Amy! (I'm assuming that's your name.)
Welcome to the NC Knitters Group!

hedgehog
01-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Welcome amy and vikynet!

Hey, amy, how's the skiiing up in Boone?? I bet this cold snap over the next few days will make it better than it has been!

-hh

gollygeeitsamy
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah the cold has definitely helped the skiing! The rumor mill was saying that one of the slopes was going to close if it was going to stay warm. Hopefully that wont happen.

Shandeh
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM
We're getting a light snow in Charlotte today.

lestrella
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi! My name is Larissa and I am a new Carolinian. I moved to South Charlotte about six month ago and I love it! Before I came to Charlotte, I lived in Orlando for a year and a half; in Plantation, FL for two years; in New York City for quite sometime; went to school in Washington, DC for three years; and I am originally from the Dominican Republic.

I am the proud mother of a five year old boy and I also have a wonderful husband.

I taught myself how to crochet about 18 years ago and I'm currently teaching myself how to knit. I love making dolls and baby stuff. I would like to start a knitting/crochet school at the elementary school in my area but I still don't know how to go about it. I never taught anyone before. I don't even know anyone who knits or crochet or that would be willing to volunteer an hour or two per week to teach the kids with me. If anyone out there has any tip, I would really appreciate it.

I just found out about this website and I love it! :happydance: The videos are so helpful.

I'm currently working on a doll and a couple of baby/preemie hats.

I would love to meet people in the area!

Good night everyone,

Larissa

tmsl
01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Welcome Larissa!!!

Need to plan a NC knitogether soon....

Any ideas, dates??

Laura

Shandeh
01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, we missed my birthday in January, so we can do whatever you guys want. I'm not able to use a church van, because I'm not a designated driver for the church. :pout:

We might just have to meet somewhere and knit at one place, or else carpool in two cars or something if we want to go to several shops. (We have to save room for shopping bags!! :teehee: )

If we do it in Charlotte, here are the shops available:
Charlotte Yarn (http://www.charlotteyarn.com/) - in Charlotte
Stitch Fine Yarns (http://www.stitchcharlotte.com/AboutUs/) - in Charlotte
Baskets of Yarn (http://www.basketsofyarn.com/) - in Charlotte
Cottage Yarn (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/) - in Mint Hill
The Peace of Yarn (http://thepeaceofyarn.com/index.html) - in Matthews

I'm sure my cousin at Cottage Yarn would let us sit and knit at her shop. :)

I've only been to one other shop on the list - The Peace of Yarn. They were nice to me twice, and rude to me twice, so I don't know how they'll treat us.

There are some other shops in Pineville, but they are kind of hard to get to, and their shop hours leave much to be desired.

What options do we have in other cities?

lestrella
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Welcome Larissa!!!

Need to plan a NC knitogether soon....

Any ideas, dates??

Laura

Thanks Laura! Not ideas about knitogethers. I've never been to one.

How long have you been knitting? I'm basically just starting, so I have a lot to learn. Have you ever taught any kids how to knit? If so, how was your experience? I want to create a knitting/crochet club at the elementary school in my area, but I'm a little scared. I'm a self taught knitter/crocheter and I have never taught anyone before. Any suggestions? :??

Larissa

knitting4babybear
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
A Charlotte girl here! :)

I'd love to meet up. I'll just keep checking the thread to see if what you guys come up with time and place-wise. I'm still a new driver, so if I can come will depend on where we end up. :)

lissalue
01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
i can't wait to meet up. i am not a designated driver for my church either, or i would bring one of our vans, even though i am in shelby. i don't mind meeting at one place and knitting and shopping, let's just make sure it is a good one with a nice supply of yarn, i am saving all my money until then! it will be my first time knitting with other people, and the first time i go to a lys since there aren't any in shelby. i can't wait!!! :cheering:

edited because i can't spell :teehee:

Shandeh
01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh my gosh! We've GOT to get it set up soon for you then, my friend! :hug: You DESERVE a good yarn store trip. :muah:

lestrella
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM

" I'm still a new driver, so if I can come will depend on where we end up. :)

Same thing here. I didn't want to mention it, but I only drive locally. I know, it's not something that I am proud of. I'm afraid of the highways and I still need to work on overcoming that fear. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm in the Ballantyne area. If anyone is close by and would like to get together, just let me know.

I'm so excited!! I went to Michaels today and they had the fancy fur for $1. What a bargain!!! I bought a few and I started making a scarf for my son's teacher. Her birthday is coming up soon. That will actually be my first knitting project. As I mentioned before, I started knitting last week. Well, it was more like refreshing my memory. When I was in high school, a friend of mine taught me the basic stitches but I never knitted anything. I thought it was too slow, so I went for crochet instead.

Last week, I decided to reteach myself how to knit with Amy's videos. I was basically working on stitches: stockinette, garter, seed, cable, rib, etc. I was getting frustrated with the continental style. That style is supposed to be easier for crocheters, but I find it really hard. The English style is much more easier to me, although I find it less efficient. Besides, I would like to learn both ways so I can give a rest to my other hand.

Since I am new to this group, I would like to know more about you guys. What knitting style do you use? How long have you been knitting? Have you taught anyone before? Do you have kids?

Anyway, I gotta go. I need to send a couple of letters out. I'm trying to get a job in the CMS school system since the beginning of the school year without any luck. I have to keep trying. Wish me luck!

Good night everyone,
Larissa

lestrella
01-22-2007, 09:01 PM

" I'm still a new driver, so if I can come will depend on where we end up. :)

Same thing here. I didn't want to mention it, but I only drive locally. I know, it's not something that I am proud of. I'm afraid of the highways and I still need to work on overcoming that fear. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm in the Ballantyne area. If anyone is close by and would like to get together, just let me know.

I'm so excited!! I went to Michaels today and they had the fancy fur for $1. What a bargain!!! I bought a few and I started making a scarf for my son's teacher. Her birthday is coming up soon. That will actually be my first knitting project. As I mentioned before, I started knitting last week. Well, it was more like refreshing my memory. When I was in high school, a friend of mine taught me the basic stitches but I never knitted anything. I thought it was too slow, so I went for crochet instead.

Last week, I decided to reteach myself how to knit with Amy's videos. I was basically working on stitches: stockinette, garter, seed, cable, rib, etc. I was getting frustrated with the continental style. That style is supposed to be easier for crocheters, but I find it really hard. The English style is much more easier to me, although I find it less efficient. Besides, I would like to learn both ways so I can give a rest to my other hand.

Since I am new to this group, I would like to know more about you guys. What knitting style do you use? How long have you been knitting? Have you taught anyone before? Do you have kids?

Anyway, I gotta go. I need to send a couple of letters out. I'm trying to get a job in the CMS school system since the beginning of the school year without any luck. I have to keep trying. Wish me luck!

Good night everyone,
Larissa

Shandeh
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Good luck Larissa!

If the Charlotte girls want to get together sometime, we could hook up at a Starbucks or something. That would be an easy way to get started.

I've mentioned it to someone in here before, but my silly brain can't wrap itself around the memory.

The Barnes and Noble at the Arboretum has a small Starbucks in the center, where we could get the drink of our choosing, then we could sit there and knit and talk. Then, we could browse through the knitting books and magazines together.

Any takers?

If so, we could plan it for this Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

lissalue
01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
i am not in charlotte, but would still love to come, especially if it is saturday. sundays are too busy for me to do anything but church. if sunday is better for everyone else, i will catch the next one though.

larissa, i knit continental, have been knitting since november, i recently taught my first two people, and i have three kids ages 7 years, 3 years, and 5 months.

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Let's try for Saturday then. I'm usually drowsy on Sundays anyway. :teehee:

lissalue
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
i will need directions, i don't come to charlotte very often. :shrug:

i am soooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :blooby: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby:

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Woo Hoo! :woohoo:
Our VERY FIRST CHARLOTTE KNIT-TOGETHER!!! :cheering:

Here is the Barnes & Noble (http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/storedetail.do;jsessionid=762B47F19F341D3F2155BE7B DA077664?store=2812) I'm referring to.

I might even try to figure out the closest yarn shop for us to check out. We could all squeeze into my little junky car if you want. (I might even talk Marvin into letting us use his big car.) I've been driving these roads for 30 years now.

Hmmm....let's see.

The Arboretum Barnes and Noble is in between two yarn shops. The one in Matthews is called "The Peace of Yarn", and the one in Pineville is "The Yarn Shop at Rainy Day Creations". I've only been to the Matthews shop, and it's small, but has a decent selection of yarn and goodies. We can decide if we want to do any yarn shopping when we get together.

I am thinking we could meet at the Barnes & Noble at about 1:00, to give us all time to grab lunch beforehand. We could start out looking at books and magazines together, then drink some coffee or tea, and knit at the Starbucks in the center of the store. Then we could all jump in my car and go yarn shopping. I would think that I could bring us all back to Barnes & Noble by 4 or 5 PM.

We'll have to play it by ear. We might decide that we're SICK of each other after just one hour! :teehee: (I doubt that.)

More than likely, we'll be wanting to move into a knitting commune together! :)

Who wants to come besides me and lissalue?

knitting4babybear
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
:pout:

Have fun guys. I'll try to come next time. I'm in North Charlotte - off 77 - and I love the Arboreteum but it's far for me with me still being a questionably safe driver. South Charlotte especially is not only far but it's busy with traffic. Especially on a Saturday. I wish I wasn't such a skeerdy cat. :verysad:

Please don't change anything on my account. Maybe next time we can meet near Northlake? :)

lestrella
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
:happydance: I'm so excited!! Thank you guys for the replies and thank you Sandy for arranging this. :muah: I can't wait!!

They also opened a new Barnes and Noble in Pineville by the Carolina Mall. It's huge! For the past few days, I've been going there with my son (we love B&N!!!) and I checked all the knitting magazines. They have really neat projects.

Yeah!!!I will definetely be there!!

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Bear, if you want, I can come and pick you up. I don't mind. I used to teach piano lessons up there on the northside, so I'm used to driving the roads. I want you to come! (send me a PM with directions to a safe meeting place up there)

For those of you unfamiliar with Charlotte, it is a HUGE city...the largest city in North and South Carolina. And the traffic is NO FUN, because our old streets are mixed in with the new streets, and there is NO INKLING of a plan for the way they are arranged. Plus, our city is infected with "same name" streets all over town. Sharon Road, Sharon Lane, Sharon Road Extension, Sharon Road West, etc. We even have an intersection near uptown of Queens and Queens!!!
Talk about confusing. :wall:

I've lived here my whole life, and I still get lost. I feel sorry for people that move here from another city.

Anyway, is the time I've set up okay with everyone? I hope so. I'm not really that good at setting up times and locations and stuff. I'm really kind of a knitwit. (good thing I knit!)

Maybe our next knit-together will be more professionally handled. :teehee:

I'm just looking forward to meeting everyone and having fun.

If you want to come, and you don't want to post it here, just send me a PM, and I'll reply with directions if you need them.

zip
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
:pout: I wanna go. I used to live at the Arboretum.

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Come on, Zip. It will only cost a thousand bucks to fly here and back. :teehee:

zip
01-23-2007, 06:11 PM

meanie. There's a Michael's in that shopping center if you wanna slum. Of course, it's Providence Road, so it isn't as bad as some.

why am i speaking in rhymes?!

lestrella
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
We can meet up north if is more convinient to everyone as long as Sandy would give me a ride. What do you think Sandy? I can still meet you at Barnes and Noble and we can go from there. As long as I can be home by 7:00pm, anytime works for me. We are expecting a friend from NYC that night. Let me know what you guys decide.

Larissa

lissalue
01-23-2007, 08:14 PM
as long as i have directions, anywhere is fine with me too. i have to be home around 7 also, of course i have an hour to drive. just let me know where!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
take pictures!!!!!

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I will have my camera in hand, Hildie! :hug:

I think we'd better leave the meeting place as it is this time. I've already invited about 20 others with a PM. Hopefully, everyone will post messages here if they can come.

It might just be 3 or 4 of us this time, but that's okay. At least we're getting started! :muah:

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 09:37 PM
meanie. There's a Michael's in that shopping center if you wanna slum. Of course, it's Providence Road, so it isn't as bad as some.
why am i speaking in rhymes?!

Well, I have one person here who has NEVER been to a yarn store. She deserves better than Michaels, for SURE.

And you KNOW I'm not a meanie. :fingerwag: Remember all that YARN I gave you?

Yeah, why ARE you talking in rhyme? Were you watching "Horton Hears a Who" again? :teehee:

lissalue
01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks for looking out for me sandy! :teehee: now i just have to scrape up some money to spend at said yarn store. :?? any get rich quick so i can spend money on yarn schemes? :shrug: :roflhard:

Shandeh
01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
:teehee:

knitting4babybear
01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Have fun! Buy extra yarn in my memory! :roflhard:

knitting4babybear
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Bear, if you want, I can come and pick you up. I don't mind. I used to teach piano lessons up there on the northside, so I'm used to driving the roads. I want you to come! (send me a PM with directions to a safe meeting place up there)

I didn't see this at all! I will SO PM you!!!

knitting4babybear
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I was so excited I posted twice.

:woot:

Shandeh
01-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Yay! Bear is coming! I'll go and pick her up, then we'll be ready to greet everyone else at B&N at 1:00. Woo Hoo! :happydance:

lizzitude
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Alas, I will have to miss this one also. :waah: I'll try and get to the next one! The north side of Charlotte would be MUCH closer for me also!

Shandeh
01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Alas, I will have to miss this one also. :waah: I'll try and get to the next one! The north side of Charlotte would be MUCH closer for me also!

Liz, do you want to meet me and Bear when I go to get her? We could all ride together to the knit-together, and I could take you all back up there.

knitting4babybear
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM
:woot: :woot: :woot:

I'm so excited I can barely sit still!

tmsl
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the pm but DH & I had already planned to be in Charlotte on Sunday, so I don't think I can do two days down in a row. If we can plan a little farther ahead for the next one that would be great. I'll look at a calendar for Feb. and see if we can find a date where more of us can go. I hear there is a yarn store in Davidson, is that near North Charlotte? Maybe we can seek that one out on the next venture.

Have fun, I hate to miss!!

Laura

lestrella
01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
:woot: :cheering: :happydance:

By the way, what's PM?

Shandeh
01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
PM is a "private message" sent to another person in the forum. You hit the little button that says "pm" underneath the message you're reading to reach that person. You can also see a "pm" button on each person's profile page. Each of us has an In Box, for those messages.

Shandeh
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the pm but DH & I had already planned to be in Charlotte on Sunday, so I don't think I can do two days down in a row. If we can plan a little farther ahead for the next one that would be great. I'll look at a calendar for Feb. and see if we can find a date where more of us can go. I hear there is a yarn store in Davidson, is that near North Charlotte? Maybe we can seek that one out on the next venture.
Have fun, I hate to miss!!
Laura
Boo Hoo! I was hoping I could meet you Laura! :pout:

lissalue
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
i found babysitters, so i am even more definately in!!! :cheering: i wonder if they will give me yarn money? :shrug: my grandmaw probably will, she crochets, so she understands yarn obsession! :teehee:

hedgehog
01-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Oh phooey! I can't make it! :waah: I had been wondering when the NC knitters were going to start trying to rival the IL knitters (since there are so many of us)!! And Charlotte is only 2 hours away so it wouldn't be a problem. Except i can't do this Saturday. ARGH! :pout:

I hope that you ladies have a wonderful time. Next time I would like to be there if i can.

We need to try and outdo the "Chix with Stix" posse! (that means you, Hildie!!) ;)

-hh

Shandeh
01-25-2007, 07:06 AM
:pout: Awww Hedgehog!!!
I was hoping I'd get to meet you (and learn your REAL name)! :teehee:
Maybe next time :wink:

Shandeh
01-25-2007, 07:29 AM
I wanted to throw something out at you guys.

Since there are only a few of us meeting, I am wondering if you all would mind going to my cousin's yarn store in my car. It's not that much longer of a drive, and she has MALABRIGO!!!! Plus, I know we'd get a WARM welcome from her. I just think we would be better taken care of at her shop than anywhere else.

What do you guys think?

lizzitude
01-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Liz, do you want to meet me and Bear when I go to get her? We could all ride together to the knit-together, and I could take you all back up there.

Thanks for the offer, but I just can't make it this Saturday...too many things going on around home right now! I promise to try and make it to the next one....

Shandeh
01-25-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I just can't make it this Saturday...too many things going on around home right now! I promise to try and make it to the next one....

Oh well....it was worth a try! :hug:

knitting4babybear
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I wanted to throw something out at you guys.

Since there are only a few of us meeting, I am wondering if you all would mind going to my cousin's yarn store in my car. It's not that much longer of a drive, and she has MALABRIGO!!!! Plus, I know we'd get a WARM welcome from her. I just think we would be better taken care of at her shop than anywhere else.

What do you guys think?

I'm totally fine with that. I checked out her website already, actually. :teehee: It looks yummiferous.

Does she have Koigu? :shifty:

knitting4babybear
01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
:pout: Awww Hedgehog!!!
I was hoping I'd get to meet you (and learn your REAL name)! :teehee:
Maybe next time :wink:
I agree. We totally have to have another one. Just make sure it's in Spring! I don't want to miss the big one because of this dreadful test. :pout:

Shandeh
01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
We will DEFINITELY have another one! I have a feeling we'll be having LOTS of North Carolina knit-togethers, in various parts of the state! :mrgreen:

I'll check with my cousin about Koigu. I'm not sure what all she carries, because I always get distracted by the Malabrigo and Debbie Bliss Pure Silk!! :inlove: :heart:

Here is the yarn shop I'm referring to: http://www.cottageyarninc.com/

Here is the list of yarns I KNOW she carries, because they are listed on her website, but I'm sure she offers more now. The website doesn't get updated that often.
Berroco, Plymouth, Noro, Cascade, Karabella, Colinette, Crystal Palace
OnLine, Louisa Harding, Artful Yarns, Debbie Bliss, Ella Rae, Sirdar
Reynolds, Gedifra, Araucania, Laines du Nord, Elizabeth Austin, Katia
Schulana, Malabrigo

lissalue
01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
that is fine with me, any yarn store anywhere works (my daddy is giving me money! :teehee: ) especially one that is super nice and kin to sandy!! :cheering:

lestrella
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Sandy, thanks for the PM answer.

I donít know anything about yarn, so anything would work for me.

Iím still working on my sonís teacher scarf. I was almost done, but I realized that the bottom part was wider than the top so I started it all over again. :wall: Oh! Well, we learn from our mistakes, right?

For the longest time, I had the idea of forming a knitting/crochet club at the school where my son goes to. Iíve been getting so much inspiration through this website that I think Iím ready to do that. :cheering: Yesterday, my son had a playdate at chick-fil-a. Usually, the kids eat and play in the little playground that they have. So, I said to myself, ďwhy not bring a pair of needles and a yarn and teach my sonís friend mom how to knit?Ē I did and I also brought samples of some of my work to get her inspired. I tried to teach her, but as soon as the kids saw us they forgot about the playground and they wanted me to teach them too. It was a great experience! There were two 7 years old (boy and girl). I gave each one a needle and taught them how to do the cast on. They practiced for a long time and were ready to work on something else but none of them wanted to give up their needle and I didnít have an extra one. So they kept casting on and thought it was pretty cool. I told them about the idea of forming the club at school and they were really excited. They told me to talk to the principal so we can have the club at school. I didnít think they were going to be interested on it. And I never imagined that the boy was going to learn it faster than the girl. I only had to tell him once how to do it. Now, the boys mom want me to get together with them and teach them. The boy suffers from ADHD and that seems to calm him down and keep him busy.

Here is the lastest article about caps-to the-capital. I thought you might be interested in reading it.
http://www.savethechildren.org/campaigns/caps-to-the-capital/deadline-ends.html?&WT.mc_id=0107_Web_Enews_4_L

:hug:

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Yay! I'm so glad you are all willing to ride along to my cousin's shop. I think you'll enjoy it. It's so cozy, and feels like you're going to your grandma's house when you pull up. Then, when you go inside, you just want to say, "Ah!!!" because of the comfy chairs up front to sit in and knit. THEN, you see the display of Malabrigo and Debbie Bliss yarns, and you want to melt.

I checked with my cousin, and she said that she will start carrying Koigu this summer. But she doesn't have it now. Sorry, Bear. :pout: It won't be long though!

My cousin will not be there on Saturday, so you won't get to meet her. But the shop will be open, and someone will be there for us. I can't wait!!!
:happydance:

Wear your comfy jeans, and good walking shoes, so we can enjoy the day looking at yarn, knitting and talking. I think it's going to turn out to be a GREAT day! :)

Here's the outline for the day:
1:00 - Meet at B&N, browse magazines and books
1:30 - Have coffee or tea at Starbucks and talk!
1:45 - Drive to Cottage Yarn
2:15 - Browse the yarn store!!!
Sit and knit in the comfy chairs at the yarn store
??? - Drive back to B&N when everyone is ready to go

We'll be driving past Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore each way, so if you guys want to do some "discount" yarn shopping, just say the word!

I can't wait! :cheering:

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Lestrella, I really enjoyed reading about your experience teaching the kids to knit. Wasn't that cool?!!

lissalue
01-26-2007, 12:35 AM
is it saturday yet? :shrug:

just checking :teehee: ! i am so excited i can't stand it :happydance: !

Jessica Cobb
01-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Wow, this is a hot topic! I live in NC (Cramerton), not far from charlotte at all. I had no idea there were so many NC-knitters here!. I just joined a couple days ago. How cool.

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Welcome, Jessica! :hug:

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 06:34 AM
is it saturday yet? :shrug:
just checking :teehee: ! i am so excited i can't stand it :happydance: !
Me too!!!! I wonder if I'll be able to sleep at all tonight? :teehee:
I'd BETTER, since I have to do the driving to the yarn store!
(You lucky ladies will be able to knit while I drive.) :?

That's okay, though. I'm really looking forward to going to the yarn store with you all.

Oh, by the way, my husband is letting me use his car! :cheering:
Now, we will all fit comfortably together. :) (His car holds 5 adults easily.)

lissalue
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
:shock: yes sandy, please sleep! :sleepy: :teehee:

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
OK....if I have to. :verysad:

knitting4babybear
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
I checked with my cousin, and she said that she will start carrying Koigu this summer. But she doesn't have it now. Sorry, Bear. :pout: It won't be long though!
:cheering:

Oh that's totally fine! She has Debbie Bliss! :heart: :heart:

I got my Malabrigo fix taken care of (I think *gulp* ) but I could definitely use a few skeins of Debbie Bliss. Someone remind me that I want sock yarn! I get a little crazed in yarn stores.... :shock:

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I'll do my best, but I'll probably get sidetracked myself! :help:

My money seems to just jump out of my purse when I go to a yarn store, saying, "Spend me! Spend me!"

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I can't believe our knit-together is TOMORROW!!!!! :noway:
The time has just FLOWN by!!!

To my knowledge, the Charlotte knitters coming are myself, Bear, lestrella, and lissalue.

I'll see you ladies at Barnes and Noble at the Arboretum tomorrow!
:balloons: :star: :sun: :star: :balloons:

lissalue
01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
:woot: :cheering: :happydance: :star: :muah: :hug: :woohoo: :yay: :blooby: :balloons: xxx

lestrella
01-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I'll see you guys tomorrow! :happydance:

:hug: Welcome to the group Jessica. Perhaps you can come to the next meeting.

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Yay! I just want to jump and shout!

But, as you all know.....I NEED TO GO TO SLEEP!!!
:?

I have my camera ready, with two sets of batteries for back-up. My memory card allows me to take more than 200 photos, so I think we're in business. I even have my tripod so I can turn on the timer and take some group photos! :)

I'll bring some 40% off coupons for Hobby Lobby just in case we feel like "slumming" after our Cottage Yarn visit. :teehee:

I'm also bringing some knitting magazines I'm no longer using. You ladies can fight over them tomorrow. :hug: I might even bring some yarn as well! (I have WAY more than I will ever use in my craft room.)

Zippadee doo dah!!! :woot: :grphug: :woot:

lissalue
01-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Sandy, you are the absolute bestest! i can't wait. i couldn't sleep so i went to walmart, just got back! i walked around and looked at the yarn thinking i am going shopping tomorrow, no yarn tonight over and over to myself, so i made it out with only two balls of peaches and cream :teehee: it is for teachers valentines presents, so i couldn't not buy it, right :shrug: ?

i am so bad and weak! :verysad: i had to do something to get me through until tomorrow! :teehee:

i can't wait!

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Melissa, you are SO FUNNY! Poor thing, you're ready for your yarn fix! :teehee:

I guess I'm just as bad. I CAN'T SLEEP!!! Well, I take that back....I DID sleep from 11:30 until 4:30. But, Marvin woke me up to say goodbye early this morning, and then I couldn't get back to sleep. I kept imagining meeting everyone and having fun talking and knitting with you all. So, I just gave up and got out of bed to see if anyone left any messages. :wink:

I might have to sit and knit for a while to help me calm down. Nothing like the feel of yarn and needles in my hands to help me slow down. If I can't knit, then I'll spin some yarn....or look at my knitting books and dream of my next project.

I'll probably lie down again at about 7:00. That will give me over two hours more of sleep. I'll be fine.

I was trying to figure out what I will wear for today, and really wanted to wear something I have knit myself. But, I have given away almost everything I've ever made! :roll: I might bring my teal shawl. I know ONE thing I can wear - my striped socks!!

Now, I'm looking online to see if Michaels or AC Moore has anything on sale this weekend. We'll be passing Michaels, Hobby Lobby and AC Moore on the way to and from Cottage Yarn. I guess you'd have to call that road "Yarn Alley". :)

We'll just have to see how our time goes. There is another yarn shop in Matthews also. You know....the one that is sometimes rude to me. Maybe we'll go there and egg the place. :rofl:

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Hey! I just remembered! You guys are going to see the Christening Gown I made!!! It's on display at Cottage Yarn!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

knitaholic
01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey! I just remembered! You guys are going to see the Christening Gown I made!!! It's on display at Cottage Yarn!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

I wish I could go with you all--but I can't this time :verysad: Sounds like you're going to have a ball. Maybe next time I can come. Have fun!

Knitaholic :pout:

lissalue
01-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I couldn't sleep either! i tossed and turned all night! and now, i am so ready to leave, but alas, it is way too early. i will wear the first scarf i ever made, it is the only thing i have made that i still have.

if anyone has any bernat boa on sale i would like some of that. i know michael's did a couple weeks ago :shrug: and i didn't get any, and now i need it :doh:

see you later on today!!

sorry you can't come knitaholic, we will hopefully see you next time :hug:

oh, and i can't wait to see your christening gown sandy!
i have a surprise for you!! :happydance:

Jeep_Girl
01-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Have fun, girls! :heart:

Belphoebe
01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Due to my ex, I won't be able to make it today. :pout: Someone send me pics and give me details! Hopefully on the next get together I'll be able to come. Have fun and get lots of great yarn! :muah:

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm so SAD that all of you can't come today! :verysad:

Maybe next time, we can plan further ahead, and have more people come. :thumbsup:

But, for now, the few of us that CAN meet will be thinking of you, and having a toast in your honor at Starbucks. Even though it won't be alcohol, it will be a drink. :teehee:

My sweet hubby has also given us a treat. Coupons for FREE CHICKEN SANDWICHES at Chick-Fil-A!!!! :cheering:

Well, I'd better hit the road, so I can make it up to the north side of town in time to get Bear, then head back down to the south side of town to meet the rest of you! If you don't see me, give me a call. As you know, I'm a slow driver, so I might be held up in traffic.

See you all in a couple hours!!!! :woot: :woohoo: :yay:

zip
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Weather.com reads "Abundant sunshine. High 63F. " I hope you ladies are having fun! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
darn I am soooooooooooo jealous of you all knitting together!!!

Now I know how you feel when us ILpeople get together :pout:

lissalue
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
i am home, and it was soooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheering: :happydance: :blooby: :woot:

so, we did no knitting, but lots of shopping and giggling. it was so fun! we are going to have another one soon! shandeh will post the pics soon i hope!

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Yes Melissa, we DID have fun, didn't we?
It was very nice meeting my twin :hug:

The four of us met at Barnes & Noble as we planned. We looked at magazines and books, drank Starbucks and talked, bought one book and one magazine, then hit the road for the yarn store!

We certainly had fun looking at yarn and patterns and knitting needles! Everyone got their yarn fix, and enjoyed talking and spending time together. It was a very nice day! :)

We even had time to do some discount yarn shopping at a couple craft stores as well!! And everyone enjoyed their free Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, courtesy of my sweet hubby. :heart:

When we got back to Barnes and Noble to say goodbye, we were all sad to leave. :pout: I definitely felt tears coming on, and I noticed some wet eyes on the others as well.

It's so nice to have new friends in our town to knit with!! I can't wait to have another get-together!!!! :happydance:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/371427188_4169c3931a.jpg

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:36 PM
yay!!! there we are!

if you want to see pics of what i got, got to my blog http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21765&start=210

it was so great!

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 11:45 PM
I hope the three of you don't mind, but I'm posting photos of you here, because they all look lovely!!! (I originally said that I would have you all approve them before posting.)

Lissalue had her VERY FIRST visit to a yarn store today, and she was in yarn heaven. Can't you see the glow in her eyes?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/371427187_6bf78c98e4.jpg

Lestrella showed us her beautiful scarf, which is still on the needles, as well as some GORGEOUS handmade doll clothes!! She is so talented!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/371427183_91b643c444.jpg

Babybear was right at home at the yarn shop, and left us in the dust as she chose just the right yarn for her knitting projects. She's a pro at this!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/371427182_7670556912.jpg

I was very happy with my haul today. A new pattern book by Patons, the latest issue of Piecework magazine, and three more skeins of Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. Eventually, I will have enough of that yarn to make the Nicole Camisole & Panty set by White Lies Design. I joked with everyone that I will probably have enough yarn to make the lingerie when I turn 80! :teehee:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/371427191_6c680406d7.jpg

Babybear and Lissalue completely surprised me with presents! Two skeins of beautiful Jojoland Melody 100% Wool sock yarn from Lissalue, and a box of yummy Celestial Seasonings "Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride" tea from Babybear. Thank you both so much!

Here's another view of my new sock yarn! :inlove:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/371427193_f738229a51_m.jpg

Shandeh
01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, that's all the photos I have of our get-together today. My stupid camera wiped out all my other photos when I changed batteries today! :pout:

Next time, I'm changing batteries BEFORE the get-together! :wall:

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:53 PM
we are sooo cute! :inlove: and yeah, i had the yarn store glow going on!! :teehee:

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately, that's all the photos I have of our get-together today. My stupid camera wiped out all my other photos when I changed batteries today! :pout:

Next time, I'm changing batteries BEFORE the get-together! :wall:

just saw this! stoopy camera, how dare it delete us and our cuteness! :pout:

Jenelle
01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
So adorable! :heart:

I'm so glad all of you had a good day today! :hug:

lestrella
01-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I definetely had a great time today. I am so glad I met these wonderful ladies. Man, we do look good in those pictures, don't we?

I hope we can plan another meeting soon.

By the way, that scarf is driving me crazy. That yarn keeps getting tangled. I think I'm just going to forget about it and start a new one with a different yarn.

Melissa, I found the silver sock tutorial. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to start my socks.

Sandy, thanks again for the lovely yarn and the leaflet.

Here are pictures of the things I got today. I hope they are not too small. I wasn't sure about the right size for posting pictures.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-28-2007, 01:33 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: You guys look FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sooooooooo jealous!!! Your first knittogether had 100% more people than the first IL knitogether... it was just KK and I!!!

knitting4babybear
01-28-2007, 02:13 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

OMG I don't even know where to START.

First of all, in case you can't tell SHANDEH is THE hostest with the mostest. :notworthy: She's one of the sweetest people ever - super accomodating, super generous and as thoughtful a person as I have EVER met. Ever. And that's no exxageration - kisses and hugs to Shandeh. :muah: She came bearing coupons and free lunch cards and shuttled us all around like a little herd of sheep. :heart:

Lestrella and Lissalue were amazing too. Both sweet, easy to talk to, fun to be around and nice as all get out. Truly. The MOST enjoyable part of the day - yes, the yarn petting included - was how at home everyone was. We had an amazing time together - it was like getting together with old friends. :heart:

The yarn store - was my absolute FAVORITE so far in Charlotte without question. Look at that GLEAM in my eye! :roflhard: Shandeh's cousin has the perfect environment there - it's literally a little house, there's different kinds of yarn in every room with plenty of places to be and sit and knit and I loved every minute of being there. The staff was accomodating and helpful too - I almost feel like we took the place over. :doh: I bought a BUTTLOAD of yarn :shock: but I personally feel like I made out like fat rat. I bought tons of Debbie Bliss and Karabella - and a gorgeous skein of sock yarn and just - gosh, I can't even remember it all. It's still in my trunk hiding from the accountant I live with. :D I also got some books I was hoping to get my hands on from BN - the Debbie Bliss Baby Knits for Beginners and another one with a ton of sock patterns. I'm actually swatching for one of the patterns from the Debbie Bliss book now (with STASH yarn - can you believe? :roflhard: ).

I ran out of steam toward the end of the day. I just woke up from a nap :teehee: so I hope no one found me anti-social there at the end, because I definitely enjoyed everyone's company immensely and I can't WAIT to do it again. :happydance:

We have to actually KNIT next time. I have a feeling lestrella's a pro and doesn't even know it, and there's a thing or two I KNOW I want to pick Shandeh and Lissalue's brains about....for sure. :eyebrow:

And sorry to run off on y'all at Cottage - as y'all can tell I LOSE IT around yarn. :roflhard:

I'll post the pics of my haul tomorrow when the light is better in my house. Or as soon as I can safely take it out of my trunk - whichever happens first. :teehee:

zip
01-28-2007, 11:55 AM
:woohoo: I'm so glad everything went well! Good times. :sun:

lestrella
01-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I was so excited last night that I couldn't sleep, so I decided to start working on my first pair of socks. This is what I have so far. What do you guys think?

lissalue
01-28-2007, 04:18 PM
i think they are just beautiful!!!

and, you knit way faster than me :pout:

i will never finish any socks, i can't even seem to get them started, i keep having to frog!

so, anyway, way to go, they will be great! :cheering:

lestrella
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
i think they are just beautiful!!!

and, you knit way faster than me :pout:
:

Thanks!! I can't believe I'm making socks! :cheering: :happydance:

Shandeh
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Yay Lestrella!!!! They look WONDERFUL!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

You ladies all wore me out yesterday. :teehee: As soon as we got home from church today, I took a nap, and slept for 4 hours!

Now, I feel more relaxed, and can get to work on my Sockintine's Socks again.

I miss you all!! :pout: Let's meet again REAL soon! :hug:
(Next time, we're gonna stay in ONE place and KNIT!)

tmsl
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
I hate I missed everyone, it looked like you had so much fun!!! Let's plan the next one a few weeks in advance so everyone can clear their schedules. I'll be out of town on the 24th of Feb. but the rest is wide open. I'll also be out of town in March some, but would love to be a part of the next get together.!!!!

So glad y'all had fun!!!

Laura

Shandeh
01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, if you want, we can plan something for February 17th.

lestrella
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Yay Lestrella!!!! They look WONDERFUL!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks!! I'm already on step 8: the gausset. They are not as intimidating as they seem. I can't wait to finish them. I'll wear them on our next meeting.

lestrella
01-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I hate I missed everyone, it looked like you had so much fun!!!

Hi Laura, I'm sorry you missed our first meeting. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be able to get together again pretty soon.

susanc
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Your socks are beautiful lestrella! I'm so glad you ladies had such a great time with Sandy on Sat. I wish I lived near you so I could have joined in the fun!

Shandeh
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
OK, nobody said anything, so I'll ask again.

WHAT ABOUT FEBRUARY 17TH?
ANYONE INTERESTED IN A KNIT-TOGETHER THAT DAY?

If nobody speaks up, I'll be making arrangements again in the south side of town. So, if someone wants to have a get-together in a different part of the city, you'll have to make the arrangements, because I'm not familiar with that part of town.

(Just trying to get something set up ahead of time, like you guys requested.)

lestrella
01-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Your socks are beautiful lestrella! I'm so glad you ladies had such a great time with Sandy on Sat. I wish I lived near you so I could have joined in the fun!

Thanks so much Susanc.

Perhaps we can arrange a knitting trip to California and you can join the fun. Oh, that would be so much fun!

lestrella
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Did you all know that there is a knitting trip to Ireland in September? It's $3,000 if you leave from Chicago. I think is for 10 days. I really wish I could go, but I can't afford it. Does anyone know of any other knitting tours? Cheaper? for the weekend? that would be awesome!!!

Shandeh
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Did you all know that there is a knitting trip to Ireland in September? It's $3,000 if you leave from Chicago. I think is for 10 days. I really wish I could go, but I can't afford it. Does anyone know of any other knitting tours? Cheaper? for the weekend? that would be awesome!!!

Here is a list of 2007 Knitting Events for ya!
http://www.dailyknitter.com/events.php

lestrella
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks shandeh. Wow!!! you really know about everything. I'm going to look into that see if I can afford to go to any of those events.

Feb 17th is fine with me. I'm not sure about the rest of the group. It's the weekend after Valentine's day, so people might be celebrating that weekend.

I just found out that there is a yarn shop like to miles from my house. I might go this afternoon and check it out.

Ok, I gotta go now. I haven't have breakfast and I' m starving.
:muah:

knitting4babybear
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Mid-March is the earliest I can meet - so I'll see you guys at the Spring meet up. :)

tmsl
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Feb 17 is ok with me. Can we meet maybe mid morning and end early mid afternoon?? Allow some time for me to drive back in daylight.

Shandeh
01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Cool. Two commitments so far. That's a good thing. Let's try to make it on the north side of town, so other knitters can come that didn't come last time.

Any suggestions on a good place to meet on the north side of Charlotte?

Shandeh
01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks shandeh. Wow!!! you really know about everything.
That's right. AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!! :teehee:

lissalue
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Feb 17th works for me, just let me know where and when aasap so i can arrange childcare. My dad said he and my stepmom would keep them if they are free, so i will start the process now :teehee:

Shandeh
01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Yay for willing babysitters! :cheering:

I'm all for choosing a place with lots of room for us to sit and knit. I think we deserve a relaxing day of knitting and talking together in a nice, warm place. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather and safe driving conditions!

They've been predicting a change in our weather, saying we might get snow soon. I don't mind the snow....it's the ICE I hate! :-x

lizzitude
01-31-2007, 06:52 AM
Right now, the 17th works for me....I'll have to check a couple of things before I commit, but I'd love to come!

Belphoebe
01-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Today I've been wondering what it would be like to knit in candlelight. Anyone else get that feeling from the forecast? :??

lestrella
01-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Why don't we meet at the public library in Huntersville, the North County Regional branch? They have meeting rooms. I'm sure we can probably reserve one for a couple of hours that day. Plus it will be closer to people coming from Davidson, Elkin, Hickory, Clemmons, etc...Besides, there is a yarn store (Knit one Stitch too) exactly 0.21 miles from it (1 min drive) for those who would love to go yarn shopping. By the way, they have a big yarn sale from February 5-28.

Any other suggestions?

Shandeh
01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
I like the sound of your plan, Lestrella! All we need to do now is see if everyone is in agreement. If we are, then Lestrella can call the library to check on setting it up. Hopefully, there is no fee. But, if there is, we can all split the cost. (as long as it's reasonable)

knitting4babybear
02-01-2007, 01:12 AM
If I can gather up the courage to get to the Huntersville library, I might just come. :)

That isn't far at all....

Shandeh
02-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Yay! This knit-together should be fun, with LOTS of KH Knitters there!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

lestrella
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
yeah!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: I knew babybear was coming. The location is so close to her. Besides you need a break from studying at some point, right?

So far we have 6 commitments:
tmsl-from Hickory
Shandeh-Charlotte
lissalue-Elkin
lizzitude-Clemmons
babybear-Charlotte
myself-Charlotte

:cheering: I'm so excited!!! I can't wait!!

What if we meet at the yarn store around 11am. We will probably stay there for an hour. Then, we can grab something to eat (or we can bring a brown bag lunch) and be at the library by 1:00pm or 1:30 pm until 4:00pm. What do you guys think?

I need to call the library and find out about room reservation. If it's too much of a hassle, we'll just meet at a regular reading room.

Shandeh
02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm liking your plans, Lestrella. :thumbsup:

Is there a website for the yarn store? I've never been there before, and need directions.

Shandeh
02-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Never mind. I found it! http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com/index.html

That looks like a GREAT yarn store!! I'm really looking forward to going. They have some interesting events going on too. You can pay $10, and knit a LONG row on an Oddball Shawl with some of their pink yarn. (I want to do that!) You can also make a baby blanket ahead of time (measuring 36 x 36 with washable yarn) and leave it there for charity! (I might want to do that too!)

They even have a special catered event on the evening of our knit-together! ($35 fee includes cost of food)
http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com/events.html

lissalue
02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
yeah!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: I knew babybear was coming. The location is so close to her. Besides you need a break from studying at some point, right?

So far we have 6 commitments:
tmsl-from Hickory
Shandeh-Charlotte
lissalue-Elkin
lizzitude-Clemmons
babybear-Charlotte
myself-Charlotte

:cheering: I'm so excited!!! I can't wait!!

What if we meet at the yarn store around 11am. We will probably stay there for an hour. Then, we can grab something to eat (or we can bring a brown bag lunch) and be at the library by 1:00pm or 1:30 pm until 4:00pm. What do you guys think?

I need to call the library and find out about room reservation. If it's too much of a hassle, we'll just meet at a regular reading room.

this sounds great! i am in shelby, not elkin just to let you now. i can't wait!

lestrella
02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Never mind. I found it! http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com/index.html

That looks like a GREAT yarn store!! I'm really looking forward to going. They have some interesting events going on too. You can pay $10, and knit a LONG row on an Oddball Shawl with some of their pink yarn. (I want to do that!) You can also make a baby blanket ahead of time (measuring 36 x 36 with washable yarn) and leave it there for charity! (I might want to do that too!)

I've never been there but it looks like a great store. I might bring a baby blanket. I am working in so many different projects that I'm not sure if I'll finish it by the 17th. I'll to my best!!!

lestrella
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
this sounds great! i am in shelby, not elkin just to let you now. i can't wait!

Oops! Where did I get that? Is there anyone else here in Elkin?

Shandeh
02-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I've never been there but it looks like a great store. I might bring a baby blanket. I am working in so many different projects that I'm not sure if I'll finish it by the 17th. I'll to my best!!!

Same here. I WANT to make a baby blanket. We'll see if I finish it in time. :?

lissalue
02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah, i think there is someone here from elkin, just not me! :teehee:

my dad called and said he would keep my kids! :cheering: so, i will go up on friday and spend the night with him, he is all of ten minutes from that yarn store! then, i am free all day on saturday! :happydance:

Shandeh
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Yay! :cheering:

lestrella
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I called the library today. They have a study room that is first come first serve basis. There is no fee for that one, however they don't guarantee that it will be available since whoever gets there first will get it. What are the chances of people being at the library studying on a Saturday afternoon right after valentine's day? :?? 2% maybe.

They do have a conference room that can be reserved in advance but there is a $25 fee which I can't afford to pay by myself.

So, what would you guys like to do? hey, we can always go to Barnes and Nobles right around the corner from there. Whatever you guys decide, I'm cool with it.

Who else is coming? Come on! It'll be a lot of fun!!!

lissalue
02-02-2007, 11:40 AM
if we decide on the conference room, i can pitch in, if we all split it evenly it won't be much at all. whatever ya'll decide is fine though

lestrella
02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
if we decide on the conference room, i can pitch in, if we all split it evenly it won't be much at all. whatever ya'll decide is fine though
Fantastic! Lets wait until we hear from everyone else. If we all agree on splitting the cost, I'll move forward with the reservation. :hug:

Shandeh
02-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll be happy to help pay for the conference room! Let's be SURE we have a place and do that. If you want, I can pay online or something, and you can all pitch in to pay me back when we get together.

lestrella
02-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll call tomorrow and make the reservation, how's that?

By the way, did you enjoy the weather yesterday? I really enjoyed seeing my son having a great time. He played with the snow all morning, build a snowman...

Shandeh, did you finish your socks? I'm almost done with mine. I'm getting ready to decrease for the toe shape. I'm almost done with the scarf for my son's teacher. I originally bought 4 skeins of yarn, but it wasn't enough. Today I got 2 more skeins.

ok, I'm very tired now so I'm going to let you go. Good night!
I hope you all have a great weekend. I'll be busy with guests from Colombia and South Carolina. :hug:

Shandeh
02-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Sounds perfect, Lestrella. Let me know how it goes so I can pay for it.

As for my socks, they are slow going. That fingering weight yarn is very time consuming. I feel like I'm NEVER going to finish them! I love the pattern and the yarn combination. It will be VERY difficult to say goodbye to them. :pout: (But I DO have two more skeins of the same yarn in a different colorway for me!) :)

I hope your visitors treat you well, my friend! :hug:

lizzitude
02-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Count me in.....as far as I know, I'll be able to make it and would be glad to split the cost.

Shandeh
02-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Yay! I've been thinking that you guys could pay me with yarn from your stash if you want! :teehee:

(I could use it for charity knitting.) :heart:

lestrella
02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
My guests are not coming anymore :( They coudn't leave Colombia because of bad weather. We were reallylooking forward to see them. The good thing is that I will have more time to finish my socks :happydance: They are a little bulky but they look nice.

I filled out the form for the room reservation. I'll mail it on Monday along with the check. They don't take online or credit card payments, only cash or checks. Let's pray that we'll have an excellent weather since there's no refund for cancellations.

tarateve
02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Anyone else in the Mooresville area??
~~Lovies, Tara

Shandeh
02-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Lestrella, do you want me to fill out the form and send the payment?

Tara, you should come to our get-together in the Huntersville area on Feb 17th!

tmsl
02-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi guys,

I was out of town this past week so I was AWOL on the thread. I don't mind pitching in on the cost of the library space. I have never been to the Davidson store and would love to see it. Addresses to everything would be helpful so I can plan driving directions.

I went to a couple of yarn stores in Richmond this past week. Both were cute and had different yarns. I bought more yarn, but that shouldn't be a suprise with this gang. Looking forward to the 17th!!

Laura

lestrella
02-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi! I'm really looking forward to our next meeting. Here are the links for the yarn store and public library in Huntersville so you guys can get directions.

http://www.knitonestitchtoo.com/

http://www.plcmc.org/Locations/branches.asp?id=16

Shandeh, I don't mind taking care of the room reservation. However, if you would like to do it ljust et me know so we don't end up double booking.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day for me. I have to take my husband to the airport which I don't like. When he goes away, I get really nervous just thinking about the drive. On top of that, I need to drive downtown to take my son to the doctor. I going to go local. I rather do that than taking I-77. I hope there's not too much traffic.

I'm almost done with my socks and I'm ready to start new projects. Has anyone done baby blankets with circular needles. If so, how do you do it. Do you have a especial pattern?

Shandeh
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Lestrella, I'll leave it in your capable hands. Do you want me to send you a paypal payment for part of the cost?

Good luck tomorrow, my friend. Just take your time, relax, and listen to your favorite radio station. :muah:

I made a baby blanket (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9800&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pink+afghan+baby&start=0) once with the "feather and fan" design, going back and forth on circular needles. It seemed to take FOREVER to make, but turned out very nice.

lestrella
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Shandeh, I was sending you a message at another blog when I got this one from you. How funny is that?

That afghan is beautiful!!It looks like a lot of work. How long did it take you?

I'll take care of the reservation and payment. Don't worry about it. You guys can pay me back when we meet. It's not a big deal. Thank you for the offer though. You are very sweet. :muah:

Shandeh
02-04-2007, 11:52 PM
That afghan is beautiful!!It looks like a lot of work. How long did it take you?
The afghan took quite a while, because I was recuperating from my hysterectomy surgery at the time. I started working on it in December of 2005, and finished in March of 2006.

It took almost 4 large skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/112521536_bc07199667.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/113485730_da3961f1bc.jpg

lissalue
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
that is gorgeous sandy! i want to be like you when i grow up!

Shandeh
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Melissa, you're so silly! :teehee:

Tvini
02-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi, guys. Finally responding to the e-mail notification I got when Larissa joined meetup.com and mentioned this board.

Just wanted to be sure y'all knew that there's a Charlotte Knitting guild that meets the first Tuesday of every month from 6-8. You can see their blog here: http://cltkg.blogspot.com/ 6-7 is sitting and talking. We show off projects, and generally have a program of some kind from 7-8.

Also, a bunch of us get together every Wednesday night at the Books-a-Million in Cotswold to sip coffee and knit, and another group gets together Tuesday nights at Panera at 485 and S. Tryon. Info here: http://charlotteknitting.blogspot.com/

Nice to see other Tarheel knitters!

Shandeh
02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Tvini!

I can't participate in the guild, because I teach piano lessons on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Plus, I actually had a bad experience with a guild member once at a Charlotte Knit-Out. She told me that I wasn't teaching the new knitters the right way, and I "had a lot to learn". So, the guild left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I'm just not cut out for guild membership. :pout:

lestrella
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Where are you guys? I feel like I havenít heard from anyone in ages.

I had another long day today. I went to see my Endocrinologist for a follow up and I ended up staying there for 3 hours. :-x I was starving. They did a bunch of tests and attached a heart monitor for 24 hours. I have to go back tomorrow around noon so it can be unhooked. My chest is full of cables :pout: . Itís nothing to worry about. They just want to make sure that my heart is working properly. It feels so weird to walk around with that. I feel like a terrorist carrying a bomb.

==============
I got a call from the library today. Our conference room is set for the 17th. :woohoo: :happydance: :cheering:

==============
Tvini, welcome! I donít like driving at night, but I might join you one of these Tuesdays at the library.

==============

I have to go and get something to eat. I'm starving and I can't think. Did I mention that I'm always hungry?

lissalue
02-08-2007, 11:19 PM
i am here. just messed up my socks. i am sad :pout: . and i was already having a crappy week, so i shouldn't really be surprised.

can't wait for the 17th.

hope your heart is fine and all your tests come out good! :hug:

Shandeh
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm here too, it's just been a CRAZY week. My schedule has changed a lot lately. Now, I'm teaching piano lessons 5 days a week, plus helping at Cottage Yarn on Fridays, so I don't have as much time available as I used to. :pout:

But, the good thing is, I'm still happy, and I still have lots of friends! :hug:

Lestrella, I'll be praying for you! :heart: :heart:

Shandeh
02-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Cottage Yarn (my cousin's shop) is having some good sales!

Valentine's Day is February 14th, so to express our appreciation for your patronage we're having a 40% OFF ALL YARN IN THE SHOP FOR 3 HOURS ONLY ON TUESDAY, FEB. 13TH FROM 5PM TO 8PM.

Cottage Yarn has some absolutely beautiful yarn in wool, alpaca, silk blends, cottons, linens......and so much more, that you really shouldn't miss this. Please remember the date and time - Tuesday, Feb. 13th, 5-8pm.

New colors in Malabrigo, Noro Kochoran and Silver Thaw have arrived! Reorders on Denise Needles and new books are in - The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, Wrap Style by the editors of Interweave Knits and One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant.

Workshop!
Saturday, February 24th is going to be a FUN AND LEARNING experience. So if you haven't registered yet, give us a call. The goal of this workshop is to teach you, once and for all, to MAKE THOSE KNITS FIT! Don't struggle any longer with
wondering whether the project you want to make is going to fit. Linda Silvia is the instructor for this 10am - 2pm
workshop.
Cost is $45 and includes all instruction booklets and light lunch.

Cottage Yarn, Inc. (http://www.cottageyarninc.com)

knitting4babybear
02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: Lestrella! :pout: I know it's just making sure type stuff, but take care of yourself pllleeeezzzz....

:hug: :hug: :hug: Liss. Why a not good week? I hope things look up soon.

:cheering: for Shandeh's busy schedule. Don't kill yourself girlie! :teehee: I am SO jealous about the month of February at Cottage Yarns. Please tell them to do that make it fit thing again. I am desperate to go. :pout: I can't though. My test is in two days by the 24th.

I have nothing interesting to post. If I'm good, I sit in front my desk for 9 hours a day studying. If I'm not good I'm bawling about that I'm not. :rofl:

lestrella
02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm so glad to hear back from you guys. I was starting to feel lonely here. My monitor was unhooked today. They won't let me know the results for a least a week. I have to go for some other tests next week and the following week. But, it's not a big deal.

Lissalue, I hope you are having a better day today. Are you doing better with the socks?

Shandeh, did you say 40% off on all the yarn, including Debbie Bliss Alpaca, Merino, cashmere...because if that's the case, I'm going to have to rob a bank.
Why are you teaching 5 days a week now? Did Laila (from Barnes and Nobles) call you about the piano lessons for her son?
I'm glad you got your dryer fixed and that you also got a dishwasher. WoW!!! Marvin is really treating well. You deserve it!!! I'm very happy for you. :cheering: :cheering:

Babybear, I can't wait until you take your test so you can have more time to hang out with us. For now, just focus so you can get that out of your way. I know you are going to do great!!!

I gotta go now. My son is waiting for the computer and he is playing the guitar really loud and is driving me nuts.

lissalue
02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
i must come to that sale!!!!!

my blog tells all about my week, it has just been "one of those weeks"

Shandeh
02-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Shandeh, did you say 40% off on all the yarn, including Debbie Bliss Alpaca, Merino, cashmere...because if that's the case, I'm going to have to rob a bank.
Why are you teaching 5 days a week now? Did Laila (from Barnes and Nobles) call you about the piano lessons for her son?
I'm glad you got your dryer fixed and that you also got a dishwasher. WoW!!! Marvin is really treating well. You deserve it!!! I'm very happy for you. :cheering: :cheering:

Yes. :) I couldn't believe it either, so I had to post it in here.

I just keep getting more and more referrals for piano, so my schedule has been altered to keep up with everyone's demands. I worked on it the past couple days though, and now it makes more sense. I'll write about it in my KH blog (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11984&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

I never did hear from Laila about piano. That happens all the time. Lots of people tell me they want to take lessons, but only a few of them actually follow through with it. It's kind of like people saying, "You're a knitter? I've always wanted to knit." Then, they walk away and completely forget the conversation. I'm not worried about it. I have plenty of students right now, so I'll survive.

Yes, my sweet hubby has been WONDERFUL to me....as usual. :heart: :heart:

Shandeh
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Lestrella, I think it would be a good idea to post a message here with all the final details of our get-together this Saturday. I'll leave it in your capable hands, my friend. :muah:

lestrella
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
:happydance: :cheering: I hope you are all very excited about our meeting this coming Saturday, Feb. 17th.

I forgot what the previous details were but we can probably meet at the yarn store around 11:00am and stay there for a little while. Around 12:00 noon we can have lunch around there or we can just bring a brown bag lunch.

We have the conference room from 1:30pm -4:30pm.

Here are the links again so you can get directions on how to get there.

http://plcmc.org/locations/branches.asp?id=16

Any other suggestions? :muah:

Shandeh
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I love the plan, Lestrella. You da GIRL! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone there, especially those who couldn't come last time! How many of you are planning on coming?

This will be my first visit to the yarn shop, and I've never been to that branch of the library either. I've been working on a baby blanket for the charity project at the shop, but I don't know if I'll have it ready in time. I'm trying, though!

I can't wait!
:woohoo:

lizzitude
02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I plan to be there - I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

Shandeh
02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Yay Liz!!! :cheering:

So, I'm guessing here, but so far we have:

Shandeh (me)
lestrella
lissalue
knitting4babybear
tmsl
lizzitude

Anyone else want to join us?

knitting4babybear
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm a maybe, but leaning toward no. Now that I see the schedule, I may consider coming to just the library between 1:30 and 4:30 so I can see you guys, but also contain my goof off time.

I SO want to come spend the day. :pout: :pout: :pout:
But I can't. No way, no how. :verysad:

Maybe the library tho. Maybe. We'll see. :)

lissalue
02-13-2007, 12:53 PM
I hope you can make it for a while bear! i will be so sad if you can't come, but i understand as well. :pout: You need to do what is best for you, even if it isn't what is funnest for you! We will see you next time if you don't make it this time! :hug: :muah:

Shandeh
02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
:pout: I'll miss my bear. :verysad:

lestrella
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi guys!!!

I didn't have time to check the forum yesterday and I missed you. It was a pretty hectic day for me, but I had a great time.

Yesterday, my son was participating in the "Jump for the Heart" event at school. We had a great time!! His goal was to raise $125 for the American Heart Association and he was able to raise $235. We were very happy.

After the event, I went to brunch with a friend. We were having such a great time just talking that we didn't realize that it was almost time to go and pick up our kids from school.

After that, my son and I went to do a couple of errands. We came home, ate and went to Cottage Yarn. Thank God my husband was driving because it was rainning like crazy and we couldn't see a thing. I didn't realize how far the store was from me. But anyway, the important thing is that I went and I got some yarn :woohoo: . I was kind of like rushing 'cause my son and husband were waiting for me in the car. There was no parking and the store was packed. I got 5 skeins of Plymouth Fantasy Natural 100% Cotton Mercerized in blue for a summer top. I was actually looking for the Debbie Bliss 100% cotton but they didn't have it. I guess this one will do for now. I also got 10 skeins of Debbie Bliss Cathay in a beautiful orange brownnish color for a tank top that I want to make for this summer too. I also got some sock yarn. :happydance: :happydance: Now, I just need to get the right # needles.

Shandeh, I realized that I had made a blanket a while back and It was in my linen closet. It's in crochet and it's 36 by 40. I think I'll bring that one Saturday. I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to finish a new one with the short amount of time.

I gotta go now and get ready for my son's valentine's party at school. I'm supposed to bring the cupcakes, so I can't afford to be late.

:hug: :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug: :muah:

Happy Valentine's Day!!! I'm glad I found you and that I can count on you guys. Lots of love.....

lestrella
02-14-2007, 12:31 PM
oops! Here is the sock yarn. I don't know what happened there.

lestrella
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited! We just got another call from a friend who wants to donate another $25 for the American Heart Association. This is Awesome!! I only mentioned it to about 10 people and the turn out has been great! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

lissalue
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
i am so glad that you got to go to the sale at the cottage yarn. dh was going to let me go if i found someone to ride with me, but i couldn't, so i didn't get to, but he did say that my valentine's present will be money for yarn on saturday! :cheering:

glad you have had such a busy and fun week! :muah:

knitting4babybear
02-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Wow. That is some GORGEOUS yarn Lestrella!!! Your son is so adorable. I bet the sale was fun. I was wondering how the turnout was with the weather. Did you see Sally Talk-a-lot? :teehee:

And Shandeh, your V-day gifts are divine....and Liss, money for yarn is an awesome gift. :hug:

I'm so glad everyone is having a great week. :muah:

I'm studying. Nothing to see here. :doh: But I did one whole sleeve on my Hourglass Sweater and am part way through the second. The hems are delicious. I'm going to try one or two things differently on the second sleeve and if it works I may rip the first one. No big deal it only took two evenings. The pattern calls for kfb for the increases on the sleeve, but I don't like the little hole it makes - so if the M1 I'm trying works better I'm going to do that instead on both the body and a redone sleeve. I'm waiting for needles to do the body. I'm having so much fun with this pattern!

Shandeh
02-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Lestrella, that blanket is PERFECT! And I LOVE the Wildfoote sock yarn you chose - I was eyeing that one myself last week. Gorgeous colors. I used that brand of sock yarn for the Sockintine's Swap, and I had to use size 2 needles with it.

Darlene
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I am new to North Carolina, I live in Elkin. I love North Carolina and I love Charlotte. My two daughters live in Charlotte. That is why my husband and I moved to NC.
I am new to knittng so I am anticipating needing a lot of help. I am going to be a grandma for the first time. My daughter is due in June. That is one of the reasons I took up knitting. I want to make my new grand daughter some things.
I can't wait to get to know you all. :balloons:

Darlene
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I am new to North Carolina, I live in Elkin. I love North Carolina and I love Charlotte. My two daughters live in Charlotte. That is why my husband and I moved to NC.
I am new to knittng so I am anticipating needing a lot of help. I am going to be a grandma for the first time. My daughter is due in June. That is one of the reasons I took up knitting. I want to make my new grand daughter some things.
I can't wait to get to know you all. :balloons:

susanc
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Welcome Darlene!

You'll love KH - we are a fantastic community of knitters who are so helpful and friendly. Whatever you need help with, there is someone here that can answer your questions and help you with whatever you need help with!

We look forward to seeing your projects!

Have a great day.

Susan (susanc) :waving:

lestrella
02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Another NC knitter...Yeah!!!
Welcome Darlene!! and congratulations on becoming a grandma. Do you know what your daughter is having? Knitting for babies is a lot of fun.

Don't worry about being new to knitting and having lots of questions. KH is a wonderful community and we all help each other.

I hope you can make it to our meeting this Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Can everyone PM me with your real name and phone #? I'll be nice to be able to contact each other in case we are running late.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:hug: :hug:

Shandeh
02-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Welcome, Darlene! :hug:

knitting4babybear
02-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Welcome Darlene.

Well - I decided that I'll see you guys at the library for sure. :cheering:

Shandeh
02-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Yay!!! I'm so glad!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Shandeh
02-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Just wanted to bring all the Charlotte Knit-Together details to this page:

THIS Saturday, Feb. 17th
We will meet at 11:00 at "Knit One, Stitch Too" in Huntersville.

Around noon we will have lunch together somewhere nearby.
You can bring a bag lunch if you don't want to pay for food.

After lunch, we will be going to the Huntersville Public Library
http://plcmc.org/locations/branches.asp?id=16
We have reserved a conference room there from 1:30pm -4:30pm.
(Lestrella paid $25 to reserve the room, so let's all bring about 5 dollars to pay Lestrella our part of that fee.)

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing all of you there!! Won't it be nice to spend time together looking at yarn, talking about life, then knitting together at the library? Yay! :cheering:

Darlene
02-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I want to thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I am so glad that I will have a group of wonderful women to talk to and get advice from.I may not be able to make meeting but it would be great to ask my questions to. Hope to one day meet up with some of you at the Knit One Stitch Too store.

Darlene xxx

Shandeh
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I think I'll bring a small bag of my favorite yarns and patterns tomorrow so you guys can see them. Could the rest of you bring some things as well? I think it would be fun to spend some time "oohing and ahing" over our goodies. Maybe we'll even take some photos of our gorgeousness. :)

It will be our "show and tell" time. :teehee:

I actually have an ulterior motive. I want to get some ideas on yarns and patterns to buy online or at shops. It's easier to decide when you can feel the yarn as well as look at it. :thumbsup:

I'll bring my Lisa Souza, Brooks Farm, Knit Picks Shadow, Malabrigo, and some various patterns I love.

lestrella
02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi!!!

Shandeh, thank you so much for posting the info for tomorrow. I meant to do that but I've been running up and down. We had a visitor from NY last night. He left around 1:00pm today. I volunteered at my son's class today and then I took him to the doctor for a follow up. I got back around 4:15pm and that's when I actually had lunch. It's amazing how time flies...I have to start preparing dinner already.

------------------------------------------
I'm a new knitter so I don't have anything cool that I can bring. I only have one book, the one i bought at hobby lobby with you guys.

------------------------------------------

Bear and Shandeh, thank you for PM me your info.

--------------------------------------------------

Darlene, I'm sorry you cannot make it to our meeting this time. Perhaps next time you can come and bring your daughters as well.

---------------------------------------------

Ok, I really need to get going. I'll check with you all tonight.
I can't believe our meeting is tomorrow already :woohoo:
:hug: :hug:

lissalue
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
i already told sandy, but i don't know if i will get to come. dd1 was sick last night with a stomach bug, so we will have to see how tomorrow goes.

Shandeh
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Bummer! Life always gets in the way of fun, doesn't it? :pout:

Well, I'll be thinking of everyone who can't make it tomorrow. :muah:

Here's our list right now:
Shandeh (me - my real name is Sandy)
lestrella
knitting4babybear
tmsl
lizzitude

lissalue (maybe - if her daughter gets better)

I'll do my best to get there early. Since everyone knows my real name, I can be the official greeter at the yarn shop. I've met Lestrella and Bear, but not tmsl or lizzitude. I think you've all seen enough photos of me to know who I am, but just take a good look at my avatar. That's probably the way I'll look tomorrow, but I'll be wearing a different sweater (I think). :teehee:

See you all tomorrow!!! I'm so EXCITED!!! :woot:

Shandeh
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm starting to clear out my car to get ready to go!!!!!
(It's always filled with music books for my students.) :teehee:

I'm bringing some yarn and patterns like I said, and I'm also bringing a small amount of fiber and a drop spindle. I want to show you all the absolute basics of spinning.

Maybe next time we get together, I'll bring my spinning wheel. :heart:

zip
02-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Ack! Y'all're meeting two miles away from my favorite sushi restaurant on the planet! Sorry I wasn't paying attention so that I could've recommended it before today. Tax season woes.

Hope today was grand.

Belphoebe
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I hope you all had a GREAT time today! I would have come, but I'm home sick with some sort of sinus/throat/chest cold thing. :pout: You'd think after 14 years of teaching I'd be immune to most anything by now. Post pics and tell tales! I need to live through you guys! :hug:

Shandeh
02-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Belphoebe! :hug: Maybe next time. :thumbsup:

Zip, We had quick deli food next to the yarn shop, so we'd have more time for knitting!!! :lol:

THE CHARLOTTE GET-TOGETHER WAS A SMASH-HIT!!!
:cheering: :happydance: :heart: :happydance: :cheering:

Lestrella was at Knit One Stitch Too before me, so we said goodbye to her hubby, then went inside together. It was COLD this morning! Lizzitude got there soon after, and we all introduced each other. We got through the initial phase of hellos and figuring out the logistics of the yarn shop, then we started relaxing and having fun.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/393539694_62b0828dec.jpg

We were just starting to wind down and head out for lunch when we got a phone call from Lissalue. She was coming! :happydance: So, we hung around a little longer so she could see the shop too.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/393557376_2e834d8477.jpg

I was the only one buying yarn, so I wandered off by myself to check out their stash. The others will have to tell you their end of the story, because I was in DEEP THOUGHT. I fell in LOVE with the Mountain Colors yarn.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/393539702_24843ad305.jpg

After all my work, I chose only ONE skein of Sockotta sock yarn in a pretty spring colorway, some stitch ring markers, a small needlegauge, the latest Interweave Knits, and a tiny wooden cable needle. Everyone said, "You're gonna pay 3 dollars for that toothpick?" :teehee: I said, "Yes, I am."
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/393539699_b1c3e2d2a5.jpg

At the register, I handed the guy my purchases, then immediately sang out "When the Saints Go Marching In", in order to get a 5% discount. (They are having a Mardi Gras sale.) Then, Lizzitude let me hold a purple and green headband as a decoration so I could get another 5% off, then I said "Let the Good Times Roll" in French to get an additional 2% off. It was fun. :)

The register (computer) was acting up, and the poor guy at the register looked like he was processing a payment for the very first time, so it took FOREVER to ring up my purchase. Lizzitude and I just stood there waiting. When Liz was paying for her purchase, I had to sing again, because she wasn't interested in singing for a 35 cent discount on her one booklet. :teehee: OK Liz, you owe me 35 cents. :?
When we got to the door, someone called out at us, and threw some beads to me!!! :happydance:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/393534305_b46c9e964a.jpg

After our shopping excursion at Knit One Stitch Too, we went next door to eat hotdogs, chicken and french fries at a small deli. I was afraid that someone would think we were "Red Hat Ladies" because of my purple beads and red sweater.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/393557386_124876c589.jpg

Then, we headed over to the library. Our reserved conference room was a PERFECT spot to sit and knit. We really enjoyed our time in there. We each did a little "show and tell" with our yarns and patterns and projects, then Bear arrived to join the group.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/393561411_13e2ac2644.jpg

After we all said hello to Bear and settled down to knitting, Bear passed something over to me and said, "That's for you." I was like, "What? NO WAY!!!" She gave me a set of Denise Interchangeable Needles!!!!
:present: :woot: Thank you Bear!!! :muah: :muah:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/393534292_7395de54b2_m.jpg

After I stopped hugging her and doing some major rejoicing, I got back to business and did a short demonstration on the basics of drop spindling. (Bear kept calling me the "camp counselor" :rofl: :? :heart: )

With all the needles clicking, we soon started talking full force.
Bear was just starting a new sweater, so she kept saying, "Hang on, I'm counting"
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/393633961_93857e451f.jpg

I was starting a new pair of dark blue socks for a friend of mine.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/393561413_dacd687556.jpg

Lizzitude was making a pretty yellow thing, with some nice purple flowers knitted in at the bottom.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/393557394_6a2affa3a1.jpg

Lestrella was working on a nice blue sweater.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/393557390_289744a43d.jpg

and Lissalue was working on some pretty purple socks.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/393557393_adfe868206.jpg

I can't remember all we talked about, but it was WONDERFUL. We had a GREAT day together, and had a difficult time saying goodbye. :heart: :heart: I really enjoyed seeing everyone today!!!

lizzitude
02-18-2007, 08:25 AM
It WAS great fun - thanks for organizing Shandeh! It was great to meet everyone, and I hope I can make it down the next time you guys get together. Camp Shandeh was great! Thanks again for the "big sticks"!

Shandeh
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Liz, you're so funny! :teehee:

All credit goes to Lestrella for organizing this time. I just came to have fun, and brought my spindling gear along at the last minute.

Thanks for all your planning and PERFECT choice for our knit-together, Lestrella!!
:muah: :heart: :muah:

lissalue
02-18-2007, 10:04 AM
It was so much fun! Thanks lestrella for organizing, and shandeh for being the counselor who kept us all in line :roflhard: as in line as sandy as sandy gets anyway! i never said anything about your choice to buy a $3.00 toothpick, i simply hope that next time you will purchase your toothpicks from me! :teehee:

i am so glad i got to come. it was super fun to see you all again and meet lizzitude!!

:muah: :muah:

lestrella
02-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Shandeh said it all. The only thing she forgot to mention was that after we left the library around 5:00pm, we went to have dinner (bear, shandeh and myself) at Chillis. It was a last minute thing that bear and shandeh planned while I was making copies of some patterns. At that point, we were all starving (or was it just me?). I had a great time!!! and I can't wait to do it again.

Lizzitude, it was really nice meeting you. I hope you can make it next time.

tmsl, what happened? I thought you were coming.

For those of you who couldn't make it this time, don't worry, there'll be plenty of more meetings.

Here are some pictures of Shandeh giving us some demonstrations.

Shandeh, thank you again so much for dropping me off and for all the wonderful goodies you gave me. I'm so happy!!! :happydance: :cheering: I forgot to make a copy of the lingerie pattern. Would you please bring it next time we meet?

:muah: :hug: :heart: :waving:

knitting4babybear
02-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't get to log on last night - I had a ton of work to do - but thanks so much everyone.

Liz - it was great to meet you. I'm glad you came! I hope we'll get to see you more often.

To the crew - Camp Shandeh was quite the hit. Shandeh thanks for the ride home (again) - at least this time I didn't feel quite as bad since I came bearing gifts. :teehee:

I always have the best time with you guys. I always look terrible in the pictures, but I suppose that's a small price to pay for having so much fun.

Lestrella EXCELLENT choice of location. I definitely think we should do it there again - or at least at another library with a conference room. It was so great to talk amongst ourselves in a place where we didn't feel like we were taking up much needed chairs for paying folks. (I feel that way sometimes at Starbucks and Borders and such).

Anyway - it was fun. Can't wait until next time, when hopefully, I will be unpreoccupied with the t--- we shall not speak of.

And Liss - I'm SO glad you came. It was great to see you - and thanks for the amazing yarn. :hug:

zip
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
:woot: Boogie, children! Y'all look so happy and lovely!
I so wanna caption your photos. :teehee:

Next time I visit Sandy, there must be a meetup.

Shandeh
02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Of COURSE we will, Zip! :muah:

tmsl
02-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Ahh, it looks like you guys had such fun. Life got in the way and I was too tired to drive all that way. I have been working on remodeling a bathroom and didn't realize how much it took out of me. :wall: :pout:

I promise to make it to the next one.....

Laura