PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Knitters

Reevesfarm
10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
I am down in Troy, a small town with NO knitting shop. I have been to the one in Cahaba Heights in B'ham, but it is quite a drive (3hrs).

I would also like to know what you like to knit during the 10 months of summer we have here, LOL. Now that it is cooling off (80 is the high today) I am getting back in the groove.

Laura

DonnaS
11-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi Laura!! I'm in the Montgomery area.. well I work in Montgomery but live just north of here closer to Prattville. There's a knit shop in Montgomery on Carter Hill Road that I keep meaning to go and visit and several big craft stores in Montgomery with a ton of stuff. Email me or something and lets talk sometime :)

Donna

Kirochka
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm not from Alabama, but I visit there many times a year for Sacred Harp singings... so do I get to be an honorary Alabamian? :shrug:

(Mostly I'm up on Sand Mountain when I'm down there... but sometimes B'ham too, and other places like Huntsville or Cullman or Collinsville...)

Kirochka
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
P.S. Go find Angelia in the blogs... she's in Huntsville...

DonnaS
11-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Sure works for me for you to be an honorary Alabamaian lol

Angelia
11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
P.S. Go find Angelia in the blogs... she's in Huntsville...

I am always in the blogs!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

I didn't think it was that obvious, Karen...:shifty:

Is anyone in N Alabama or maybe southern Middle Tennessee?

ETA: Laura, during our 10 months of summer, I knit with wool and pretend I'll be able to wear it someday. You know, that one really cold day we get once every 5 years? I'm knitting for THAT day! :rofl:

Eloewien
11-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Where are you Angelia? I'll be in Birmingham for two weeks going insane...

Laura

Angelia
11-17-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm in Huntsville, about 1.5 hours north of B'ham. When will you be here?

Eloewien
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't know the exact dates yet, and 1 1/2 hours is no big deal to drive-- company rentals always have unlimited mileage and they pay for gas!! When I was in Denver, I drove over 1000 miles in two weeks going to all the amazing yarn stores and national parks. It's going to be around the 28th and for two weeks after. I should find out in the next couple days. At the least, I'll have the weekend of Dec 2/3 and I'll be bored out of my mind! Mind some company for an afternoon?

Laura

Angelia
11-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't mind company at all!! :cheering: :cheering: The 2nd is perfect--it's a Saturday, and both LYSs will be open (well, hopefully--my favorite was closed yesterday and I've no idea why. I'll email the owner to make sure she'll be open the 2nd.) The 2nd is also ideal because it's just before finals, so I'll have no work related crap getting in the way of a good yarn crawl and knit-together! :happydance:

Pat in NW Alabama
01-25-2007, 01:52 PM
You're always welcome to come visit me in Jacksonville, the one in Alabama not Florida. I have a LYS right on the square in the middle of town. I would love to host bunch of the KHer's.

SharonB13
01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi! I'm a new knitter. I live in Hartselle and work in Huntsville. I'm currently taking a class in Decatur to learn to knit. We're in week three and knitting a sampler type scarf.

I'm interested in finding a group to meet with and knit.

Anyone know of one in the area?

Pat, I was in Jacksonville last weekend. I probably drove right by you twice. I hate that old square. It always scares me. I went to JSU about fifteen years ago and was agog by all the changes that have been made. I wish I'd spotted your store. I definitely would have dropped in.

Angelia
01-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Hey Sharon!! You're very very close to me! Ooooh, and your close to The Knitting Zone (http://www.knittingzone.com/)!! Have you been there yet? If not, go! Mary is *wonderful*! (Just call first to make sure she's open--her busines, since it's in the boonies, does more mail order than walk-in.)

If you're ever in the North Huntsville area, let me know! I live between Madison and Harvest.

MamaMer
02-08-2007, 09:20 PM
We are going to be moving to the Huntsville area soon (I am pretty sure, dh works for the federal govn't so who knows, kwim? lol) was wondering if there was a group there that gets together on a regular basis, or perhaps an lys that holds lessons/ knit nights and the like. Thanks!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm going to be in Alabama this weekend!!!!!!

Deeknit
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
WHAT!!!! HILDIE IN ALABAMA!!!! WHERE????

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm going to visit Ang!!!!! (I don't know where she lives though!)

I just checked... still 7 hours from you :pout:

Angelia
02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm in Huntsville, Hildie...:rofl:

I'm not sure about knitting groups here. I mean I know there are some, but I don't go to them. Mary at The Knitting Zone (http://www.knittingzone.com) can give you some info, though, MamaMer. I know she sometimes participates in one particular group.

Deeknit
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, but I can probably manage a 7 hour trip more frequently than a 15 hr trip to ILL.....Just can't do it this weekend. Hmmmm?

How far is Huntsville from Atlanta? Is it a reasonable side trip before coming home? I go to Atlanta for business meeting occasionally.

Dee Dee

kr8tive_kim
02-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I am from Alabama, but Im ashamed to tell you that I am failing at trying to teach myself to knit......

I refuse to give up though :wall: I will keep on keeping on....

its great to see others from Bama here too! :cheering:

Angelia
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh, don't be ashamed! It takes awhile to get the needles and yarn coordinated--just keep practicing! Where in AL are you?

Dee, ATL is 4 hours from here (east to B'ham then north).

kr8tive_kim
02-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I live in Henagar Al, close to Fort Payne (where the group Alabama is from, if you've heard of them).
thanks for the encouragement. I am very disheartened right now.

Kirochka
02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
HENAGAR!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: (Sorry, I've spent many weekends of the past 10 years in Henagar, singing Sacred Harp at Liberty Church... )

Delores
08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I just found a cosy little shop down town. It is called Serendipity. Check it out if your ever in this part of the state! Roll Tide!
:woohoo:

I am down in Troy, a small town with NO knitting shop. I have been to the one in Cahaba Heights in B'ham, but it is quite a drive (3hrs).

I would also like to know what you like to knit during the 10 months of summer we have here, LOL. Now that it is cooling off (80 is the high today) I am getting back in the groove.

Laura

KathleenG
10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi, Ladies,
I'm in Huntsville (actually Madison) quite alot. How far is the Knitting Zone from here? Thanks!
Kathleen

Sharly
10-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi Kathleen!

I'm in central Alabama, and haven't seen much activity from the other Alabama knitters on this thread. Sorry, I can't help you with your question, I just wanted to welcome a fellow Alabamian! :waving:

KathleenG
10-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi, Sharly!
Actually, I live in Wisconsin, but spend about 2 weeks a month baby-sitting for my granddaughter in Alabama. I feel like I'm an Alabamian since I'm there so much! Maybe I can get an honorary membership? Thank you for the warm Southern welcome, anyway! How are the socks coming along? How did the first pair come out?
Kind regards,
Kathleen

Sharly
10-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Kathleen!

Sure! You can be honorary! Drats! I don't know why Alabama knitters are so scarce around here!! I hope you get an answer to your question. I know having a yarn store nearby would enhance your visit! No LYS near me :cry:

Socks? Ugh! :) Well, I actually frogged the sock this morning! I had really goofed up on the gusset (so you can tell I was pretty far along), and I haven't mastered frogging back and picking up stitches, so I just frogged the whole thing! My husband said "how can you do that???" and I said "look, more yarn!!" - I'll get them going again, but probably not right now!! Thanks for asking!

Feel free to e-mail or PM me anytime, and enjoy your visit! The weather has been so beautiful, but I bet it's gorgeous in WI, right now, too!

KathleenG
10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi, Sharly,
I didn't think to check back here after I had written. DUH.
Thanks for writing back.
Did you start the sock again?
Where are you in AL?
I saw the Auburn logo at the bottom of your text. My son-in-law would be rolling his eyes right now: He went to UA in Tuscaloosa.
I just finished a baby sweater for 13 month old granddaughter. How 'bout you? What have you been up to?
Hope to hear from you. I'll be back in 'Bama at the end of November.
Kind regards,
Kathleen

Sharly
10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi, Sharly,
I didn't think to check back here after I had written. DUH.
Thanks for writing back.
Did you start the sock again?
Where are you in AL?
I saw the Auburn logo at the bottom of your text. My son-in-law would be rolling his eyes right now: He went to UA in Tuscaloosa.
I just finished a baby sweater for 13 month old granddaughter. How 'bout you? What have you been up to?
Hope to hear from you. I'll be back in 'Bama at the end of November.
Kind regards,
Kathleen
Hi Kathleen - there is a setting somewhere (I'll find it if you want me to) that sends you notifications when there is a response to a thread you are subscribed to (or have posted on) - that way, you'll get your messages! :)
The sock has not been started again...I think I have sockphobia right now. I will eventually get back to it, but not just yet. Right now, I'm having fun knitting cell phone pouches. I get a lot of gratification from doing little quick projects :)
I'm in central Alabama, north of Montgomery.
Would love to see a picture of the sweater! I haven't taken on any projects like that, yet, but I will!!
Take care, especially traveling, and enjoy your time here in 'bama!!

BonnieBj
10-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Quick question. Why are some of the posters marked with "banned" under their names. What did they do wrong?

Sharly
11-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry, Bonnie, I don't know. You might ask one of the moderators what the reasons are that someone would become "banned"...

Welcome to the forum, by the way - it's a great place, and it's good to see another Alabama Knitter here!!

KathleenG
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Welcome, BonnieBJ, It's a real nice group (even though I'm only an honorary Bamian -I'm a Wisconsinite).

Sharly, Good to see you online. Hope all is well with you.

Kathleen

Sharly
11-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Doing just fine, Kathleen, are you here, yet? :waving:

KathleenG
11-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I was going down this week, but the business trip plans changed, so I'll be baby-sitting at the end of November- back to Bama then. Can't wait!

pjsbabybj
11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to the website, but have lived in Alabama my entire life. I have only been knitting about 3 years or so. They offered classes at our local library and I have been hooked ever since. :knitting: I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Sharly
11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi Pj! Welcome to the site!

What part of Alabama are you in?

pjsbabybj
11-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I am in between Birmingham and Anniston (Talladega to be exact). Where are you?

Sharly
11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi PJ! I'm about 45 miles Northeast of Montgomery - the Lake Martin Area.

Do you have an LYS in your area? I've never been to one!!

CDBear
11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Hey Y'all!!!

I'd like to be an honorary Alabamian too please!!! I live in Columbus, MS, and travel to Tuscaloosa once a week to go to Serendipity Needleworks.

We just finished the Knit to Win Challenge with The Quarter Stitch in New Orleans, to see how many preemie/baby hats each shop could put together. Serendipity won, with over 1500 hats!! The Quarter Stitch turned in almost 400. Mrs. Sabin came to award the trophy, and we had a great time!!! I have pictures of the 1900+ hats, and will try to post them in the Charity section later on.

Sharly
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Christi! Welcome aboard!!

Sounds like you've done some great work! Can't wait to see your pics!

pjsbabybj
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
No no LYS around here that I know of. I hear there are a few around Birmingham. I am pretty much stuck with Hobby Lobby in Anniston, or B'ham stores. Sorry just now responding, haven't checked back in in a couple of days :aww:

Sharly
11-09-2007, 06:20 PM
No problem, PJ :)

Sorry about the LYS! Seems to be a distinct shortage of those around the state!!

KathleenG
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi, Everyone,
I hope you're all well, and knitting your little hearts out!
I'm in Alabama sooner than I expected to be. My daughter called me in Wisconsin on Wednesday night and told me that she had to have an emergency appendectomy. So Thursday morning I flew down to take care of my 14-month old granddaughter. Gee, it's good to be back!

What are y'all working on? Would like to hear about it!

Yesterday we went to Hancock Fabrics in Huntsville. Boy, have they expanded their knitting section! Lots more yarn and needles. Has anyone been to a Hancock's lately?

We're heading out the door to Hobby Lobby so I'll sign off for now!
Hope to hear from y'all!
Kathleen (Honorary Bamian) :muah:

Sharly
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Kathleen - glad to know you are here safely! So sorry about your daughter - I sure hope she is doing well. I'm sure having her Mom with her is a big help!!

Take care and keep us posted on how she is doing!!

spooky
11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm in Leeds, Alabama!! That's about ummmm 10 miles from B'ham!!

Sharly
11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Spooky!

Wow - there are more of us here from Alabama than I would have ever thought!! :cheering:

KathleenG
11-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi, All,
Hope everyone is well. Welcome, Spooky!
Sharly, you're right: Alot of people from Alabama and wannabes!
My daughter is doing much better; thank you for your kind thoughts and words. This time has given me the opportunity to spend with my little granddaughter, and I'm lovin' it.

What is everyone been up to? What are you all making? Sharly, are you with your cell phone cases, yet? Those make great Christmas presents. I'm making little baby mitts. (like mittens, but without the thumbs.) They knit up in a couple of hours. I also started a matching hat, and hope to add a sweater. You notice that I start with the easy stuff first? lol.

I hope to hear from y'all soon.

Thanks again for your kindness, Sharly. Take good care.

Kathleen

Sharly
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Kathleen - so glad to hear she is doing better! And, I know you are enjoying the time with your grandbaby - that is so sweet!!

I've made four of the cell phone cases, and now I'm stalled out on the one I'm keeping for myself! But, I'll probably get it done this weekend. Then, I don't expect to be making any strides in the knitting world. This time of year, it's really hard to come up with time for it, and I hadn't planned on any more knitted gifts.

Will you get to stay through Christmas? I guess your granddaughter is just the right age to really enjoy it this year!
Take care and continue to enjoy your time!

Lollilulu
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not from Alabama, but I visit there many times a year for Sacred Harp singings... so do I get to be an honorary Alabamian? :shrug:

(Mostly I'm up on Sand Mountain when I'm down there... but sometimes B'ham too, and other places like Huntsville or Cullman or Collinsville...)

I am from Upper Sand Mountain!! And I have been to several Sacred Harp singings. How do you like Alabama?

jaimemama
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi. I am new to this forum. I am in Fort Payne, NE Alabama, about 45 minutes from Chattanooga, TN.

Delores
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I have been knitting baby blankets.....seems my family is having a population explosion!