PDA

View Full Version : Finger-socks. Cable Glove pattern helps added

Mama Bear
11-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I haven't had much time to post this week. Life sometimes has the nerve to get in the way of my computer time ;)

However, my knitting is more portable than even my laptop, so I have managed to do a bit of knitting. I thought I would be knitting more socks. In a sense I was, but not the kind I expected.

I knit some socks for the grandchildren, they were a big hit. Then the grandson requested "finger-socks" so I knit those. If you like cute grandkid stories, more about all that on my blog (http://www.beartoes.com).

I also knit myself a pair of gloves (or finger-socks) with Cherry Tree Hill's Merino Possum yarn in Black (Nero) and have one of two "finger-socks" done for my granddaughter out of angora silk yarn that matches her sweater.

Now my son wants gloves, so I guess the theme continues!

Mama Bear

P.S. Page 2 has some pattern information/helps added for the cabled gloves.

tmsl
11-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Pattern??? Especially the cabled ones!!!!

Very cute!

Laura

gardenmommy
11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
That's so cool how the striping on the fingers match up on the pairs of gloves!

The black ones look very sophisticated too!

rebecca
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I love them! Especially the possums :cheering: :cheering:

Petals
11-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Nice Job! Love the the cable gloves. I think my to do list grows :teehee:

knitwit2
11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I would like to know what pattern you used for the cabled gloves also. They are so pretty!!!!

Jan in CA
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Those are beautiful!

mrs desert rain
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Ditto!
I'd love the cable-glove pattern as well! :heart:

psammeadred
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Ditto!
I'd love the cable-glove pattern as well! :heart:

Oh, oh, me too! Me too! :waving:

humblestumble
11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Me three! And LOVELY job on everything!

Lieke
11-02-2006, 03:52 AM
they are great. I'm really in love with those cabled gloves :heart:

Amber
11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Finger socks! :teehee: I love it!

Everything looks great -- especially the cabled finger socks!

geekgolightly
11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
pattern for cabled gloves please! all are lovely

Mama Bear
11-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone! :hug:

The gloves are a compilation of several things. I'll try and finish up and post it soon. I'm out of town this week, so it could be a couple of days.

Mama Bear

PinkRoses
11-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Hey! I love your style. Everything looks wonderful. :happydance:

EmD, MD
11-05-2006, 04:16 PM
I love that yarn.

I just have one question: Does someone in your family have three feet?
:??

Mama Bear
11-12-2006, 11:09 PM
My apologies for taking so long to get back about the glove pattern. Lots of unexpected events here that have been requiring my time.

For those in a hurry for the cabled glove pattern. I don't know when I'll get a chance to write out just what I did, but here are a couple of alternative that might work for you.

If you are adventurous, I'll describe the method I used and you can apply that to any glove pattern you like. Don't worry if the glove is tipless, you can just knit a longer finger and decrease the top of the finger.

For those who want a fully written out pattern: A similar glove can be found in the book "Holiday Knits" and they give a pattern for with or without cable and tipless or full glove. Here is a photo of that glove done as a tipless glove.

http://pinkdandelion.com/images/tipless.jpg

It's different than the glove I made in that they use a k3, p3 rib and a 15 stitch panel for the cable. They used finer yarn and smaller needles and more cast on stitches, so that worked fine. However, I was using Cherry Tree Hill Merino Possum Worsted. With the heavier yarn and bigger needles, the cable was just too big.

Here is a photo of the ones I made with changes, so you can compare without going all the way back to the top of this thread.

http://www.beartoes.com/images/possum-gloves.jpg

http://www.beartoes.com/images/possum-glove-2.jpg

Basically you can use any glove pattern you like, and make a braided cable centered over half the stitches. So, for example, if you cast on 40 stitches. Your braid would be centered over 20 stitches.

For one hand you center the cable on the first half of the stitches and for the other hand you center the cable on the second half of the stitches.

With the ten stitch braid pattern I used, that would mean that for the first hand, you knit 5, do the braid cable over 10 stitches, knit 25. Of course you would have thumb increases and such in there that would change the numbers of your knit stitches, but by then your "cable" area would be set.

For the second hand you would knit 25, do the panel, knit 5.

The 10 stitch cabled braid I used worked as follows.

p2, cable braid over 6 stitches, p2. I cast on 40 stitches and used size 4.5 colonial rosewood needles. My braid worked like this: for the first six rows in my 10 stitch cable area, I did p2, k6, p2. I lined those up so that the p2 rows were in line with the p2 rows of my cuff.

After the first 6 rows, I did the following 6 row pattern up the glove to the base of the fingers.

Row 1: p2, slip 2 to front on cable needle, k2, k2 from cable needle, k2, p2.
Row 2 and 3: p2, k6 , p2
Row 4: p2, k2, slip 2 to back on cable needle, k2, k2 from cable needle, p2.
Row 5 and 6: p2, k6, p2.

Their thumb uses a thumb gusset with increases on each side of the thumb. My thumb is just an increase on each side of the middle stitch of the thumb. Either works, but with the bulkier yarn, I chose the second.

You can also insert a variety of cables if you don't want to do the braid. For example, my daughter used a celtic knot from Elizabeth Lavolds Viking Knits book and made these:

http://pinkdandelion.com/images/celtic_cable1.jpg

You can read more about the details here on her blog (http://www.pinkdandelion.com/index.php?title=mystery_present_celtic_cable_tiple ss_glo&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

I hope this isn't too confusing! I'll do an actual pattern when I can get time, but I have already promised others ahead of this one.

EmB MD, LOL on someone having three feet!

Those were for my grandchildren. One had managed to hide one of the socks from her mom before we had a chance to get photos. The sock has since been found, and I added regia paws to keep her from slipping to the bottoms :)

Mama Bear

knitqueen
11-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Those are all gorgeous! I love the purple ones with the braid cable. :muah: