PDA

View Full Version : Help or advise on these books

Sooze
11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Has anyone here read or looked at the following books, if so, do you think they are good one for me to invest in..here they are...

1) Green Mountain Spinnery Book by Margaret Klein Wilson
(amazon readers gave it mixed reviews, and said it was "overhyped")
I think it's a small hardbound at 126 pages..

2)Complete Book of Knitting by Barbara Abbey published in 1971

3)101 Ripple Stitches (for knit and crochet) by Jean Leinhauser 100 pgs 1977

4)Bernat 160 BOUQUET OF AFGHANS 1968 (not sure if these are knit or crochet, but I am looking for knitting)

If you've any knowledge of any of the above, please respond here or PM me if you would..ps I would probably be asked to pay about $6 to $10 each, shipping most likely included. What do you think?
Thanks in advance~
Suze

Ingrid
11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I have the Green Mountain Spinnery book and I love the patterns in there. I'd definitely pay for that one.

I'm not familiar with the others, though. Since they're so old, though, I suspect the patterns will remind you of the afghans on your grandma's couch. :teehee:

Sooze
11-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I went to the library and looked at the Green Mountain book...that one I will get..and I looked at another book, Around the World in 80 Sweaters, and even tho it's older, had some very unique patterns in it, I have that one coming
Then, for some real eye candy, I looked at the old Kaffe Fassett books, OMG! I want to knit ALL of those, but can you imagine the cost of yarn? Like 60 colors in each, and they are ALL HUGE, long and very big sleeves. I don't care how dated they look, I just LOVE his patterns~

Lyndalm
11-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I love my Spinnery book. I've started one of the scarves in it. It's a great book!

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

Ingrid
11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I love Fassett patterns, too. I have a book of them, but the yarns are discontinued and he only gives numbers for them. The whole look is about the colors, so I haven't attempted a very multicolored one yet. I did a two- color one from a Rowan magazine.

Now you have me thinking about that book again. . . wanders off. . . .