PDA

View Full Version : Sockintine Sock Swap!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

AmandaC
12-06-2006, 06:05 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Ívertala mig!!!" = "Talk me into this!!!"
_____

I can't decide if I want to do this or not... Talk me into it!!! :teehee:

DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

come on :poke: now :poke: go on :poke: send Angelia that pm :poke: you can do it :poke:

horve1
12-06-2006, 08:24 AM
I want to try this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html). But I'll probably just do 2 circs since I'm really used to that.

I'm just doing the toes on a pair of baby socks this way. I am very glad I've tried and been able to do it, but I don't think I'll ever do it again. They have to be 100% perfect because it's too hard to fix mistakes (actually do-able on the leg and foot, but on the heel....). What have other people found with this?

Angelia
12-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Anna...Holly...

DO IT!!!!

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

That knitty article on double knitting is hilarious! I love the smiley-face finger! I don't think my brain would let me do socks that way, though. (It won't let me do magic loop, either.)

But I'm perfectly content with dpns; I know how the sock works, and that's enough for me. It's actually kinda fun on dpns--I like the sock monster!

rebecca
12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Think Rebecca prefers the "princess foot"? :teehee:

Technically, I prefer the http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/th_2queen2.gif (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2queen2.gif) Queen heel for the Queen http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/th_socks.gif (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/socks.gif) socks....understood?!
And, as long as there's talk about my socks (the important ones)...they need to go with http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/th_boa.gif (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/boa.gif).

Angelia
12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I hope everyone has been gathering virgins' hair for spinning...Her Highness the Sock Queen can get very cross when her wishes are not granted...:shifty:

jberry16
12-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm trying to be picky and needy...my lys is having a 15%off sale starting the 8th and it ends the 15th-is there anyway we could findout our people on the 15th? it's just a day sooner and this would let my budget of 10-20 buy some nicer yarn??? pleeeeeeeeeaaaasssse?

AmandaC
12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
ooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

you could buy lot's of yarn and hope that one of them matches whoever you get given :shrug: :teehee:

jberry16
12-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I just would like to know what size needle you all are using to get 7-8 stitches per inch on your sock weight yarn? I was first using #1 and got 10 to the inch, then tried #2 and got 9 to the inch, so now I'm on #3 and it just seems loose...please help. I'm also posting in the how to section.
:?? :?? :shrug: :shrug: :wall:

Angelia
12-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Registration itself doesn't end until the 16th :(

For fingering weight yarn, I wouldn't go a needle size higher than a 2, really, unless you're doing cables or something like that (or unless your tension is tight). The stitches are usually too loose and squishy if knit with larger needles (at least for me), and that makes for uncomfortable walking. I use 1s when I knit with fingering weight, but my tension is a bit loose.

Being off by one stitch per inch on something as small as a sock really won't matter much, particularly not with sock weight yarn. So, stick with the 2s and see how that works.

Leah22b
12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
how is everyone planning on doing there socks; dpn, 4 or 5, 2 circs or magic loop???
just curious, I'd love to try 2 circs but prolly wont b/c I want to make them look nice with as few mistakes as possible. What's your fav. method?

I love Circulars.... Don't know size yet will have to depend on pattern etc... xxx I currently have 2 lace projects on the same circular needles... what fun...lol :eyes: I don't know what was I thinking, but so fare so good.

I love them sooooo much I've been useing them for everything...

Have a great day!
Leah

Projects
Lace Moebius 1/4 done
Lace Washcloth 2/3 done
Golf club covers not started
Socks not started
2 hats not started
2nd moebius not started
Oh boy IT is def. kicking in... Must Knitt Must Knitt.... :teehee:

Leah22b
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
man I want to shop for sock yarn soooooo bad.......

I know how you feel I made the mistake of stopping in at Dians www.yarnsforever.com The other day... Yummmy sock yarn, but I restrained myself and didn't get anything... :verysad:

Have a great day!
Leah

jberry16
12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
What's this for? It looks like such a small amount.
http://yarnsforever.com/tab1/store/category/b05p/Yarn_by_Weight.html

jberry16
12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
has anyone tried this? it looks so pretty.

thischicknits
12-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Kelly, you make me :D ! Big :hug: 2U!!

thischicknits
12-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Kelly, you always make me smile. :muah: to you!

And for the record, I will use dpn's for the socks. Are we there yet? I'm getting impatient! :nails:

Liliyarn
12-07-2006, 03:39 AM
has anyone tried this? it looks so pretty.

I think I've got it. Not yet made it into socks, but I luv the sparklie. I got a silver grey combo.

KellyK
12-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Magaret.. :muah: :muah: :muah:

cheesiesmom
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I think I have the Disco yarn too, but in an aqua colorway. I love the yarn but haven't knit it up yet. (Maybe my Easter socks 'cause of the springy color.) I must finish my Step socks before I can start on the swap sock. I need a new pair for me first.

Also, to KellyK (and any other adventurous sock knitters), I checked out your OTN and loved the RPM sock. I don't do socks on ML or circs or toe up; just your basic top down and dpns. Would the RPM pattern work on dpns? In my head I know it probably would, but I always think that there must be something peculiar to a pattern that is written for circs or toe up and it will only work in that method. I've seen other patterns I like but am put off bc they give directions for a method I haven't used. I know its simple enough to change the pattern for dpns, but I hate to start knitting something, realize it isn't working and then have to frog.

AmandaC
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
I did the RPM socks on DPN's .... I just use 2 dpn's per 1 circular ....if that makes sense - it was easy :shrug:

KellyK
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Yup... Im knitting them on DPNs right now! Needles #1&2 are the instep sts, and needle #3 is the heel.

jolenel
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
That RPM sock is pretty! :inlove: So many nice sock patterns, so little time...

I've finished sock #1 of my second pair of socks ever (Simple Stripes). And I picked up a new set of sock needles yesterday. :happydance: I can't wait to find out who I'm knitting for so I can start agonizing over patterns and yarns. :rofl:

jberry16
12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
is it the 16th yet??? :nails: :tap: :nails: :tap: :nails: :tap: :nails: :tap:

feminine_earth
12-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok, I'm in. Add another sock virgin to the list. :)

jberry16
12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
:cheering: glad to have you :cheering:

Stiney
12-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Do you think sock virgin hair would work for Rebecca's socks? :thinking:

feminine_earth
12-07-2006, 05:33 PM

Oh no! Too late! I just gave mine to Locks of Love two weeks ago. So sorry Rebecca. :verysad:

:teehee:

lissalue
12-07-2006, 06:01 PM
i could cut mine, it is pretty long, and i am a sock virgin, but my three kids attest to the fact that i am not the other kind :teehee:

jberry16
12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Oh no! Too late! I just gave mine to Locks of Love two weeks ago. So sorry Rebecca. :verysad:

How much did you have to have to give to Locks of Love? I've always wanted to do that, mine's only just below my sholders now but it grows pretty fast.

thischicknits
12-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh, I love these virgins! They make me feel, well, old. :pout:

9 days and counting... :tap: I can't wait that long!!! :gah:

BTW, Locks for love accepts hair that is 10" or longer. They have a great website - http://www.locksoflove.org. Good luck!

sara_jayne
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM

How much did you have to have to give to Locks of Love? I've always wanted to do that, mine's only just below my sholders now but it grows pretty fast.

The minimum donation is 10". I've been growing mine out for a year and a half now for donation and my pony tail donation will be about 14" :shock: . I'm going the week after Christmas to have it cut! :cheering:

Angelia
12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Yay for all you Locks of Love folks! :heart:

And yay for new peeps signing up! :cheering: I'm keeping up with new registrants, though I am late with the reply PMs and group invites. I'll get those out when I can. I'll also post an updated list soon.

If you're reading this but haven't signed up--dooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!! :happydance:

jberry16
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
On the colors of yarn what's the most wanted color for socks or is everyone pretty much letting their sock knitter pick it? And once we're assigned out person are we to keep it a secret or can we contact them if we have questions? I've never done soemthing like this and am very excited but don't know all the rules.
nine days and counting!!!

KnittinMitchie
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
I donated my hair back in May to Locks of Love after we moved from Garmany to Texas. My hair is now to the top of my shoulders. But any way I just learned how to knit toe to top socks, so beware sock recipiant. I am also going to try my hand at Kool-Aide dyeing while I am at the in laws for Christmas.

OH the wonderful world of knitting, what a creative outlet

Liliyarn
12-08-2006, 03:29 AM

I donated mine a little over a month ago too! I'm lucky, my hair grows super fast. I'm thinking about doing it all over again. Should take me about a year to grow it out again.

and isn't it the 16th yet????

:nails:

rebecca
12-08-2006, 03:53 AM
:pout: Hey Ya'll, I have honest to goodness bad news (I mean, nobody's hurt or anything like that kind of news!) and I had asked Angelia to do this because I'm a big baby and it makes me cry to do make this announcement. But, I have to drop out of the swap and, I canNOT even come close to explaining how much i've been looking forward to it...what with the virgin hair socks and all!
But, in all reality, I've had several family 'musts' that have come up that have to be done and all of these knitting projects are due at about the same time and I know myself well enough to know that I would not be able to give my all to this sock swap and I could settle for nothing less than doing my best for a KH buddy!
Then, there's my hip and leg...never know what may happen with it this time of year and I would hate to disappoint in that area, too, don't know what I would do if I couldn't participate bc of the hip/leg deal, either!(Praise God, it's getting a bit better...I've been staying in bed more like I'm supposed to!).
You see, when I begin to stress (as I've been doing thinking about several knitting projects being due around the same time [remember me, the monogamous knitter]) all of the good that knitting does for me disappears and knitting helps me far too much with keeping my mind off of my pain for me to allow stress to interfere with the good that knitting does for me.
Please forgive me, fellow socknitters and please understand, I hope to be able to participate next time around :muah: :muah: luv u all, ya'll have fun! Now you can send me pics of your socks so I can know what everyone is getting before the socks are gotten...that would be cool!

AmandaC
12-08-2006, 05:30 AM
:hug:

Lieke
12-08-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm still hesitating about joining. Still haven't found the perfect sock yarn. (darn that wool allergy) I still only knit with acrylic and I don't know if that'll be a problem. I want my socks to be perfect when I'll give them away, but that will be impossible without the perfect sock yarn.

horve1
12-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I have to drop out of the swap. Now you can send me pics of your socks so I can know what everyone is getting before the socks are gotten...that would be cool!

As your buddy in the last KH swap, I can say that we will be missing the bestest buddy ever from this one. But it is completely understandable, what with that monogamy thing and all. We'll just have to do another a bit later. And you bet I'll send you pics of mine so you can help me tempt my sock buddy!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

KellyK
12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
OH, Becka.... I know how disappointed you must be!! :hug: :heart: :hug: :heart: :hug:

JBerry.... alot is left up to the knitter, but when you fill out the questionnaire, you will see a question about colors and preferences and so on... knitters can use that info to make their yarn choices. If you have a "clandestine" email address, you can use that to tease, torture, and ask questions of your partner. Its like a secret cupid!

I cant remember if Ive ever seen an acryllic sock yarn, Lieke... :thinking: well, that's not entirely true. There are cotton/acryllic blends, bamboo sock yarns, you'll find something!

Angelia
12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh, Becka, I'm so sorry you have to drop out! :hug: :muah: :hug:

(Now what are we going to do with all of the hair we've been collecting from virgins and unicorns? :teehee:)

Seriously, you just take care of yourself--we'll do another one of these! :heart:

JBerry, from what I'm seeing in the questionnaires, people are giving a lot of freedom to their swap pals as far as color choices go. Even if there are one or two "will not wear" colors, there are many more left from which the knitters can choose.

I'm loving the creative license that most of you are granting your knitter pals!! :happydance: :happydance:

jberry16
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Sorry you had to drop out Becca, but I completely understand. You just do the knitting for your family and then you can knit for us later. I understand about having to give your all and having to have your heart and mind completely in the project you're knitting, because otherwise it would look yucky. Anyway keep staying in bed and getting better, we luv ya! :hug: :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug:

rebecca
12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
(Now what are we going to do with all of the hair we've been collecting from virgins and unicorns? :teehee:)

Duh....you can all still make ME socks...thought that was a given!

All kidding aside, thanks for your understanding.

Angelia
12-08-2006, 09:42 AM

Duh....you can all still make ME socks...thought that was a given!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

I don't think anyone else could wear those socks--kind of like Cinderella's slipper! :heart:

feminine_earth
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I hope you feel better soon, Becka! :hug:

cheesiesmom
12-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm still hesitating about joining. Still haven't found the perfect sock yarn. (darn that wool allergy) I still only knit with acrylic and I don't know if that'll be a problem. I want my socks to be perfect when I'll give them away, but that will be impossible without the perfect sock yarn.

Have you checked out Katia's Mississippi 3 yet? http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=2756

It's cotton and acrylic and I used it to make a pair of short sport socks for my DD. It's fingering weight and knit up quite nicely. It has a nice feel and not so 'acrylic.' Lots of colors, too.

Stiney
12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
We're sorry to lose you, Rebecca! :muah:

KellyK
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
OOH! What about Cascade Fixation??? Those would be FUNNN to knit!

Liliyarn
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM

There's always bamboo and there are acrylic and cotton fibers for socks.

Bamboo (http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product3609.html)

cotton (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/Categories.bok?category=SOCK+YARN%3ACascade+Fixati on,+Effects)

more cotton (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/Categories.bok?category=SOCK+YARN%3ALang,+Jawoll+C otton)

AmandaC
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
:cheering: lieke can join ... and I must admit I was abit worried in case I was given her as a partner .... but now no worries :cheering:

KnittinMitchie
12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm still hesitating about joining. Still haven't found the perfect sock yarn. (darn that wool allergy) I still only knit with acrylic and I don't know if that'll be a problem. I want my socks to be perfect when I'll give them away, but that will be impossible without the perfect sock yarn

I only knit with Acrylics and i get a REALLY nice sock from it. I use Carson simply soft worsted weight. They also feel nice on the foot and aren't too bulky. I got my toe to top sock pattern from here on knitting help and I'll let you know the outcome of those.

Leah22b
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Rebecca don't worry about it we all know what its like to get IT. You can only do so much xxx ! We will miss you!

I hope you feel better!
Leah :muah:

thischicknits
12-08-2006, 05:31 PM
:tap: 8 more days...

Lieke
12-09-2006, 12:45 AM
I've seen all those nice alternative sock yarns. But problem is, they aren't available in the Netherlands. The only yarn store I was having a chance to find good non-wooly sock yarn told me they don't have that at the moment, because nobody wants it. Well I want it :pout: . Shipping from the US will be eiter too expensive, or it'll take too long. My socks will probably be knitted with acrylic for a while, or a miracle has to happen. If that isn't a problem with you, I'll join, but you have to be honest. I can understand people don't want to wear acrylic. It is really nice and warm for your feet, but not totally comfortable.

knitqueen
12-09-2006, 01:20 AM
A lot of people like wooly sock yarn, so it might not be a problem.

jhelanee
12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
A lot of people like wooly sock yarn, so it might not be a problem.

While this may be accurate, it doesn't help Lieke because she is allergic to wool and can't knit with it. :pout: Thus the problem...

KellyK
12-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Lieke,.... why dont you PM Ang and ask her if there is anyone on the list who hasnt said anything about fiber content... make your decision that way!

mwedzi
12-09-2006, 11:11 AM
I've seen all those nice alternative sock yarns. But problem is, they aren't available in the Netherlands.

You should try Netherlands Ebay. You can search for sock yarn there. I just can't do it for you because I don't speak the language.

I'm sure it is feasible for you to get some non-wool sock yarn, and we'll help you do it.

jberry16
12-09-2006, 11:15 AM
do they make sock weight acrylic? :shrug:

mwedzi
12-09-2006, 11:31 AM
You can order from the U.K. Shipping would probably not be outrageous, then. And Cascade Fixation is already a relatively affordable sock yarn (though it's more expenive in pounds than in dollars, like everything else):
http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/Cascade_Fixation.html

Woman, we are going to get your some non-wool sock yarn!

mwedzi
12-09-2006, 11:37 AM

maybe she could use moda dea sassy stripes.
http://www.modadea.com/sassystripes.htm
but none in the netherlands, and not even on the european continent, as far as i can tell. i mean, not on ebay that is.

i think we should be able to find reasonable shipping from the US to the Netherlands, if all else fails. I've gotten reasonable shipping from Europe to the US.

Edited to add: Here's a sock weight nylon acrylic blend, Wendy Peter Pan 2-ply:
http://www.dragonyarns.co.uk/#308X3830

Lieke
12-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I've seen all those nice alternative sock yarns. But problem is, they aren't available in the Netherlands.

You should try Netherlands Ebay. You can search for sock yarn there. I just can't do it for you because I don't speak the language.

I'm sure it is feasible for you to get some non-wool sock yarn, and we'll help you do it.

already tried that, but nothing without wool :pout:

knitqueen
12-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize she was allergic to wool. :( Bernat Sox is a acrylic/nylon blend sock yarn.

Lieke
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM

well, it's not fingering weight, but I found a pattern for which I am able to find acrylic. (It's a dutch pattern) The yarn is as thick as opal 6 ply-yarn. For me, it is good enough, although I want to buy some non-acrylic sockyarn (when I do have the money, I'm only a student)

Lieke
12-09-2006, 12:20 PM
yuck, found another problem about ordering outside the netherlands: you need to have a credit card (and as a student, I don't have one) In the netherlands, you can pay, using your bank account, but apparently not outside the netherlands. :verysad:

I have thought about knitting with latex gloves on, but I don't think that'll be easy and I have to be sure it'll work out, or my buddy will get no socks.

Angelia
12-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Okay, newly updated list, alphabetized so that you can find yourselves ;)

1. allegra918
2. AmandaC
3. Andrea
4. Angelia
5. ~babydill~
6. cara
7. cawthraven
8. cheesiesmom
9. Deeknit
10. dreadfull
11. earthchick
12. feminine_earth
13. FiberGirl
14. Friskums
15. horve1
16. Hsiaokuo62
17. jberry16
18. jcmom
19. Jenelle
20. Jessica
21. jhelanee
22. jolenel
23. jrsas
24. Julie
25. KellyK
26. *KnitPixie*
27. knitqueen
28. KnittinMitchie
29. KnittyKitty
30. knottydaisy
31. Leah22b
32. Liliyarn
33. lissalue
34. mintdee
35. monzogary
36. mulene
37. mwedzi
38. Nan101
39. Rorshach
40. sara_jayne
41. Secksiebrat
42. Shandeh
43. thischicknits
44. want2knit

We're at 44!!! :woot:

CateKnits
12-09-2006, 01:26 PM
With a week left to register!

Angelia
12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
With a week left to register!

Yes!!! :happydance:

If you haven't registered yet, dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

The questionnaire can be found here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45)--just scroll down a bit.

want2knit
12-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I'll DO IT!!! I just ordered my Christmas presents--Sensational Knitted Socks, Socks Soar on 2 Circular Needles, and the Knitter's Guide to Finishing Techniques :cheering: :cheering: (I'm such a good wife helping my husband shop :teehee: )

Now I have to go fill out the form.

mwedzi
12-09-2006, 02:56 PM
yuck, found another problem about ordering outside the netherlands: you need to have a credit card (and as a student, I don't have one) In the netherlands, you can pay, using your bank account, but apparently not outside the netherlands. :verysad:

I have thought about knitting with latex gloves on, but I don't think that'll be easy and I have to be sure it'll work out, or my buddy will get no socks.

You can buy from your checking account through Paypal. Are you allergic to just sheep's wool, or all animal hair? I was looking at some alpaca/silk blend sock yarn on ebay U.K.

You can also buy fine weight cotton (they must have cotton in the Netherlands) and hold it together with some elastic to knit the cuff. I knit a sock with a cotton/modal blend and it was fine. I only wore it a few times because I didn't make a pair; it was just a practice sock, but i still wore it with a non matching sock cuz i was so proud i had made a sock. :teehee:

you also don't abosolutely have to knit with sock weight yarn, you can do sport or dk, too. there are really more options available to you than it may first look like. you have to really want to look, though.

Stiney
12-09-2006, 03:39 PM
:poke:

Cate hasn't signeded up yet!

CateKnits
12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Cate doesn't do Valentine's Day. :P

:hiding:

lissalue
12-09-2006, 07:16 PM
it isn't valentine's day, it is sockentine's day silly!!

Angelia
12-09-2006, 07:36 PM
That the due date is Valentine's Day has nothing to do with the date particularly. It was just a handy holiday! I don't do VD either... :rofl:

KellyK
12-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Thank GOODNESS, Ang! I heard it can be ITCHY. :ick:

Ang, please tell Lieke if there is anyone on the list who wouldnt mind acryllic/nylon/nonwool socks.... the poor girl is torturing herself with worry! :pout:

lissalue
12-10-2006, 01:57 AM
i don't care what material my socks are, i will take whatever, i just wanted to be involved!!

*KnitPixie*
12-10-2006, 02:45 AM
YAY!! I just joined :woohoo: I don't care about the material either and if Angelia wanted to I wouldn't mind if you were my partner :teehee: I'm sure alot of people won't mind, we understand :hug: to you Lieke and don't worry soo much it'll all work out fine!

Lieke
12-10-2006, 04:57 AM

You can buy from your checking account through Paypal. Are you allergic to just sheep's wool, or all animal hair? I was looking at some alpaca/silk blend sock yarn on ebay U.K.

I'm afraid I don't know. I haven't tried it yet (till now, I only knitted cotton and synthetic fibers and was really happy with that. That's untill I decided to start knitting socks)

Never uses Paypal yet. Don't know how it works, but I think I'll try to figure it out.

You can also buy fine weight cotton (they must have cotton in the Netherlands) and hold it together with some elastic to knit the cuff. I knit a sock with a cotton/modal blend and it was fine. I only wore it a few times because I didn't make a pair; it was just a practice sock, but i still wore it with a non matching sock cuz i was so proud i had made a sock. :teehee:

I have been considering cotton, but I haven't found elastic that is thin enough to knit together with the cotton.

you also don't abosolutely have to knit with sock weight yarn, you can do sport or dk, too. there are really more options available to you than it may first look like. you have to really want to look, though.

I know. ATM I knit with sport weight, and I really like it. It's a lot faster and your socks are warmer. But then again, I'm not like everybody else and my allergy has made me a lot less picky.

There is 1 thing left I can try now, and that is trying to knit with latex gloves on. Since it's winter, I'll wear sweaters that'll cover my arms, so that leaves only my hands that have to be covered while knitting. I hope I'll find some time this week, so I can go and shop for some latex gloves and sock yarn. I hope this'll work, because that's the only thing I can think of.

Angelia
12-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Lieke, I can hook you up with one of the two acrylic loving sweeties, *KnitPixie* or lissalue. (Thanks, you two, for being so kind! :hug: :heart: )

So, get your knit on Lieke and send me your questionnaire! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
12-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Lieke, if you can get it, try GGH's Bali. Its a DK wt cotton/acryllic blend. a couple of the students in my sock class used it for their first socks and they turned out VERY nicely. They are solids, and come in LOTS of colors, so will take stitch patterns very nicely. Im planning on knitting myself some summer socks with it!

jberry16
12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
c'mon people, we only need 6 more to join to make it to 50!!! (and only 6 days left to register) Tell your friends about it, I'm bugging the two people here in my area that I know knit (socks). :poke: 'em :poke: 'em :poke: 'em!!!

feminine_earth
12-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Thank GOODNESS, Ang! I heard it can be ITCHY. :ick:

OMG! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mwedzi
12-10-2006, 07:29 PM
c'mon people, we only need 6 more to join to make it to 50!!! (and only 6 days left to register) Tell your friends about it, I'm bugging the two people here in my area that I know knit (socks). :poke: 'em :poke: 'em :poke: 'em!!!

oh, i thougt it was just KH members? :??

jberry16
12-10-2006, 09:23 PM

I know, but they can join KH...I've told them that too along with how awesome this group of people is.
:D

Lieke
12-11-2006, 03:52 AM
well, I found out acrylic isn't good for socks. I wore my first pair of socks about 10 times and yesterday I already found a hole in one. I don't want to knit anybody socks that have holes so soon, so I'll try the latex gloves and if that doesn't work, I'll wait for the next swap (if there'll be one) hoping I found some suitable sock yarn. I've put my question on a dutch sock knitting group (about the yarn) so I hope this will give some options before the end of the week.

KellyK
12-11-2006, 08:12 AM
:psst: REALLY. Try the GGH Bali that I mentioned yesterday.... its NICE. Its by Muench... a German company. I bet you could find it without too much trouble!

Lieke
12-11-2006, 09:44 AM
well, I've never seen it in my LYS, even never heard of it before, but I could try to find it.

*starts seaching online dutch yarn shops*

*stops searching*

Unfortunately, there's no store in the Netherlands who sells GGH. :pout:

AmandaC
12-11-2006, 10:08 AM
How about this (http://www.angelyarns.com/ggh/rebecca.php/yarn/408) - I can't find the Bali that KK is talking about but this seems similar ....

I would be willing to buy it and post it to you - we could work out the payment seperately .... :shrug:

Lieke
12-11-2006, 10:26 AM
that looks really nice. don't know if it is suitable for sock knitting. (anybody with more experience?)

I can ask at my bank if it is possible to do international payment with my bankaccount. (have to go there anyway)

ETA: it is possible :happydance:

Leah22b
12-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I've seen all those nice alternative sock yarns. But problem is, they aren't available in the Netherlands. The only yarn store I was having a chance to find good non-wooly sock yarn told me they don't have that at the moment, because nobody wants it. Well I want it :pout: . Shipping from the US will be eiter too expensive, or it'll take too long. My socks will probably be knitted with acrylic for a while, or a miracle has to happen. If that isn't a problem with you, I'll join, but you have to be honest. I can understand people don't want to wear acrylic. It is really nice and warm for your feet, but not totally comfortable.

Hey Lieke... I'm allergic to wool to.... so maybe you and I will be paired up. Acrylic is fine and I also like Cotton's. My first (only pair I've made so fare) pair of socks was a worsted weight Cotton... Chunky almost slipper socks, but I love them... so soft and comfy. I'm sure who ever gets your socks will love them as well. No matter what they are made with.

Have a great day!
Leah

Leah22b
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM

I joined up just for this. I had never been on KH before...Great group though! Thanks for letting me join... I'm really looking forward to it! :gah: ... :tap: 5 more days for registration...

Have a great day!
Leah

2 down 5 more to go before Christmas... xxx xxx xxx :shock: :help: Oh no only 2 more weeks to knitt Christmas stuff... oh boy...No sleep for the knitt crazed... :teehee:

jberry16
12-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I could have sworn I saw some non wool Red Heart that was sock weight at Hobby Lobby...only remember seeing one color way, blues and purples, if I remember. Anyway it's by the crochet thread stuff. If you're in the Netherlands, maybe you could order it on their website. :shrug:

Lieke
12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Look what I found (http://www.mariannes-opalwolle.de/oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_57_77&products_id=841)

It's in Germany, I can pay with my bank account and it is without wool. :happydance:

AmandaC
12-12-2006, 07:03 AM
:happydance: :cheering: :woot: :woohoo: :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
12-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Very nice. I like the colors in it. I might have to go look for something like that here in the States.
I am VERY excited about the sock swap and cant wait to get started. I still haven't desided on a pattern yet.
I did get my toe to top socks finish but don't know if I like the Make One stitch. Oh well I'll find something that I eventually like.

Lieke
12-12-2006, 08:55 AM
I haven't decided on the pattern either. But I have decided on the yarn. I mailed the lady from that yarn shop and shipping is payable. If I order less than 400 gram it is even less expensive than shipping in the Netherlands. I'm so excited :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo:

five_six
12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
i wasn't even gonna look at deciding on a pattern or yarn until i knew the preferences of the person i was knitting for... but maybe i should be :shrug:

mwedzi
12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I haven't decided on the pattern either. But I have decided on the yarn. I mailed the lady from that yarn shop and shipping is payable. If I order less than 400 gram it is even less expensive than shipping in the Netherlands. I'm so excited :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo:

Thank goodness!

five_six
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
snap

Leah22b
12-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Look what I found (http://www.mariannes-opalwolle.de/oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_57_77&products_id=841)

It's in Germany, I can pay with my bank account and it is without wool. :happydance:

I knew you would find something... :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: those are really pretty and they look soooooooooooo soft.

Have a great day!
Leah

:verysad: 4 more days to wait... the waiting is killing me... :teehee: :tap:

dreadfull
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
hey, I just joined, for this swap, but I've been lurking on this site for quite a while now.
so is there a yahoo group? I can't seem to find it.
maybe I didn't understand correctly.

yay socks! I found the GREATEST sock yarn.. (in my opinion)... but i'm waiting to see what my partner wants before I buy it. I'm knitting up a pair for my grandpa with it for x-mas, so that will give my a chance to work out any of it's flaws.... but it is sooo pretty.

huzzah!

-Lianne

Angelia
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Lianne, I'm managing members through a yahoo group, but we're doing all our talking, picture posting, and that kind of thing here.

We have 48 participants so far....come on, let's get to 50 at least!! :cheering: :cheering:

For those of you not signed up: new forum members are welcome, international members are welcome, new sock knitters are welcome...just join already, lurkers!! :heart:

jcmom
12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey sockintines,
I've checked out KH free patterns and knitting pattern central, but does anyone know any other good sites for free sock patterns? Some of you sound pretty serious about this so I figured I'd better do some homework while I can. It's gonna be fun.

jberry16
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
there's this (http://www.socknitters.com/sockpatterns/weight.htm) one
and here's Boogies list (http://www.spunkyhats.com/boogie_freepatterns_socklinks.htm)
And Leah's (http://www.knittinfun.com/patterns.html)
Here's (http://www.needletrax.com/gallery.htm) a small gallery.
And of course the sock knitters home page (http://www.socknitters.com/sockpatterns/sockpatterns.htm)
And in my sig is Silver's Sock Class, for those of you who are brave enough to join without ever makeing a sock before! yea to you!

jberry16
12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I also found this sock size chart (http://www.knittinganyway.com/socks/sizechart.htm) that will probably help us.

Yarngineer
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Just joined since my friends told me about this. I love to knit socks! Here's to getting to 50!

Yarngineer
12-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Lieke,

I was reading through old posts. Cascade has a cotton yarn with elastic in it. The yarn is called Fixation. And I have heard that people knit socks with it, although I have not done this yet.

Not sure if you can buy Cascade Fixation where you are, but it is something to look for.

--> Oops! Just saw someone had already suggested it. Never mind!

thischicknits
12-13-2006, 12:20 AM
I just looked through JBerry's sock list and :thud:
4 more days... :doh:

jberry16
12-13-2006, 12:28 AM
I just looked through JBerry's sock list and :thud:
4 more days... :doh:
Didn't mean to scare you, or overwhelm you, just wanted you to see the lists I've found. Just do a google search for free knitted sock patterns and you come up with thousands. I can't wait to see what I'm doing-or who I'm doing for. :D

knitqueen
12-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Another great site with really neat sock pattern is Sock Bug (http://sockbug.blog-city.com/).

Angelia
12-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow--the patterns!! :thud:

jberry16
12-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Another great site with really neat sock pattern is Sock Bug (http://sockbug.blog-city.com/).
thanks, hadn't seen that one before, how cute...I'm definately infected with the sock bug. :teehee:

KellyK
12-13-2006, 03:06 AM
I always check knittingpatterncentral for ANY kind of new pattern...

Hi Margaret! :waving: Will Howie & I see you tomorrow??

Lieke
12-13-2006, 05:33 AM

I knew you would find something... :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: those are really pretty and they look soooooooooooo soft.

Have a great day!
Leah

:verysad: 4 more days to wait... the waiting is killing me... :teehee: :tap:

Don't know if they are soft, but I'll find out soon and someone else in this swap will as well :happydance:

jberry16
12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Lieke, so glad you joined! :cheering:

jcmom
12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank you all for the pattern links. There's sure to be something I can use and I would rather spend my $$ on yarn instead of a pattern.

Willow
12-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey all, I'd like to join this KAL right alongside my hubby, Rorshach, needless to say, he pestered me and pestered me, so here I am, never knit a sock before, but I"m pretty sure with your help and his I should be able to get through it without too much of a hassle.

Liliyarn
12-14-2006, 04:59 AM
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Angelia
12-14-2006, 09:31 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

My goodness, our first husband and wife knitting duo!! Fantastic!! :heart:

And we'll most certainly help if you run into trouble!

KellyK
12-14-2006, 09:42 AM
HI WILLOW!!! :cheering:

Leah22b
12-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:

Welcome to all the new people!

Only 2 more days to sign up... :poke: :poke: :poke: all those friends and family into participating... Yeah

Have a great day!
Leah

No sleep for the knitt crazed

1 of 2 hats done 2nd is 2/3 done :happydance:
1 of 2 Lace Moebius 1/4 done :wall:
2 of 3 washcloths done :happydance: :cheering:
1 pair socks due after new years not started :zombie:
1 stocking not started :verysad: put off for next years present

Andrea
12-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Welcome, Willow! :waving:

jberry16
12-15-2006, 10:19 AM
is it time yet? I can't wait... :nails:

Angelia
12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
It's almost time!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

SandraEllen
12-15-2006, 10:55 AM
I just joined. Nothing like waiting until the last days!

KellyK
12-15-2006, 11:23 AM
GAH! :hair: THE ANTICIPATION!!!!

Liliyarn
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
:nails:

:tap:

:hair:

Stiney
12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Hm...25 pages of just sign-up. Might need a new thread once people start knittin. :teehee:

jberry16
12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Hm...25 pages of just sign-up. Might need a new thread once people start knittin. :teehee:
no kidding title this one sign up and then next one anticipation of gifts & teases (so we can tease our recepiants) and then one for sock swap packages arrived!...just an idea

Angelia
12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Nah, we can keep it all here. We did for the yarn swap and it worked fine. Granted the thread got reeeeeeeeeally long, but that's okay! No one will need the first 26 pages or so anyway after tomorrow! (Except for the guidelines posted on page 1.)

mintdee
12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
So no chance of early pal handout? :flirt: :flirt: :flirt: :flirt:

I had to at least try it! :teehee:

Angelia
12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
:fingerwag:

Don't tempt me!! :oo:

I keep ordering sock yarn (STR, Artyarns, Lisa Souza) hoping my pally with like one of them, and of course secretly hoping she/he won't so that I can order more! :roflhard:

That's normal, right? :shifty:

jberry16
12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
totally normal, I'm doing the same. Where do you order your yarn from, most usually.

early hand out could be a secret... :flirt:

Angelia
12-15-2006, 02:08 PM
totally normal, I'm doing the same. Where do you order your yarn from, most usually.

Depends on the yarn--for STR, from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Lisa Souza from Ms. Souza herself, and Artyarns from WEBS.

early hand out could be a secret... :flirt:

Schyeah, like you lot can keep a secret like that! :rofl: (Okay, so maybe I'm the only one who couldn't...:shifty:)

jberry16
12-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm a great secret keeper! :psst: (I was looking for the one that's in my msn messenger b/c it has a smiley sipping his mouth shut, that's what I wanted) It's prolly just as well, good grief we've waited this long, what's another 48 hours(if you pm everyone on the 17th-72 hours if you wait till the 18th :-( )?

Angelia
12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
I'll start sending messages on the 17th ASAP. I will wait overnight (16th to 17th) for our members further west, but as soon as dh gets up, we'll start the selection process. I hope to have everyone contacted by noon on Sunday (CST) at the very latest.

AmandaC
12-15-2006, 02:24 PM
:cheering:

KellyK
12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
HEY!!! :!!!: I thought the names were gonna be distributed on the 16th!!!

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGERRRRRR!!!

*huffs and storms out of the thread*

Yarngineer
12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Angelia,

How do you like the Artyarns and Lisa Souza sock yarn? I have not tried them yet, but they are on my "wanna have it next SEX acquistion" list.

:eyebrow:

Angelia
12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I love Artyarns and Lisa Souza--merino yumminess! :inlove: And the colorways are stunning. Same with Socks that Rock, actually. STR and Artyarns are both fairly smooth yarns; Lisa Souza's is kind of...fluffy.

Jeep_Girl
12-15-2006, 09:53 PM
HEY!!! :!!!: I thought the names were gonna be distributed on the 16th!!!

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGERRRRRR!!!

*huffs and storms out of the thread*

The deadline to sign up is the 16th...

It is ok Kelly Kelly - just a couple more days....

Angelia
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Poor Kelly Kelly!! :hug: :heart: :hug:

thischicknits
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT...

Kelly - do you want to get together and hold our breath until the list comes out?
BTW - sorry I missed your invite the other day - DD would be so sad to have missed the wonderful Howerino!

Liliyarn
12-16-2006, 03:34 AM
WHAT!!!???

:waah:

No names or info???

I'm open to bribing.....

:whistle:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah? A few hanks of Mmmmalabrigo might make me change my mind...:teehee:

Yarngineer
12-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Angelia,

I agree. I am totally in love with anything merino. :heart:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Me too!! It is my favorite wool! Dreamy soft, esp. after washing. I get faint just thinking about it! :teehee:

I feel like I'm cheating on merino, though, because now I've fallen for alpaca...

Jeep_Girl
12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah? A few hanks of Mmmmalabrigo might make me change my mind...:teehee:

Ang - maybe you can get something out of this afterall?! :teehee:

KellyK
12-16-2006, 10:36 AM
CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT, CAN'T WAIT...

Kelly - do you want to get together and hold our breath until the list comes out?

YES! Margaret and I are going on a breathing strike until we have NAMES!! :grrr:

:pout:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
We're almost there, little Smurfs! :heart:

Okay, here's an updated list! If you've registered, make sure your name is here. If it's not, PM me.

If you haven't registered, then fill out the questionnaire here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45) and please be sure to include your full name when you provide your address--the post office might want that info ;)

1. allegra918
2. AmandaC
3. Andrea
4. Angelia
5. ~babydill~
6. cara
7. cawthraven
8. cheesiesmom
9. Deeknit
10. dreadfull
11. earthchick
12. feminine_earth
13. FiberGirl
14. five_six
15. Friskums
16. horve1
17. Hsiaokuo62
18. jberry16
19. jcmom
20. Jenelle
21. Jessica
22. jhelanee
23. jolenel
24. jrsas
25. Julie
26. KellyK
27. *KnitPixie*
28. knitqueen
29. KnittinMitchie
30. KnittyKitty
31. knottydaisy
32. Leah22b
33. Lieke
34. Liliyarn
35. lissalue
36. mintdee
37. monzogary
38. mulene
39. mwedzi
40. Nan101
41. Rorshach
42. Sandra Ellen
43. sara_jayne
44. Secksiebrat
45. Shandeh
46. thischicknits
47. want2knit
48. Willow
49. Yarngineer

We're soooo close to 50! :cheering: :cheering:

If you haven't registered, TODAY IS THE LAST DAY!

:poke: :poke: :poke:

KellyK
12-16-2006, 11:29 AM
:gah:

mintdee
12-16-2006, 11:32 AM
The wait is killing me!!! :wall:

1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day 1 more day

KK that cat is hilarious!
:roflhard:

knitqueen
12-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Kelly, that picture is HILARIOUS!!! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 12:04 PM

thischicknits
12-16-2006, 05:53 PM
:eyes:
I can't hold my breath much longer....

HURRY UP why dontcha!?!

KnittinMitchie
12-16-2006, 06:01 PM
The suspense is KILLING me. Hurry up and get here Dec 17th so I can start knitting socks.

Vendie
12-16-2006, 06:17 PM

We're worse than kids on Christmas Eve.

AmandaC
12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
December 17th !!! :noway: OMG that's only 8 days till Christmas :woot:

Stiney
12-16-2006, 06:45 PM

We're worse than kids on Christmas Eve.

That's cause kids on Christmas don't get to knit socks. :teehee:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 07:22 PM

We're up to 50 participants now!!!! :woot:

cheesiesmom
12-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I thought today was the name hand out day, too, and spent about 2 hours trying to get on the forum this morning. My browser just stalled trying to connect to KH and I figured it was all of those sock-knitting-crazys trying to get their names.

I am very patient. I can wait another day. Besides, I have a sock and a half to finish before I can start the kal. Plus, I want to make my dh a winter hat, the valentine red scarf project, and maybe another pair of wristwarmers before I get to the sock. (Or, then again, maybe I'll just go to the next pair of socks.) :happydance:

Andrea
12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
:poke: :nails: :poke: :nails: :poke:

jberry16
12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
6 hours and 16 minutes until the 17th- here in NM anyway. :teehee:

KellyK
12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I am very patient. I can wait another day.

:yadda: Mlyaah mlyaah mlyaah, Mlyaah mlyaah mlyaaah mlyaah! :yadda:

I have TONS of stuff to knit, but I WANNA KNOW WHO MY PARTNER ISSSSSS!!!! :tap:

JLC
12-16-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm in! I just sent the PM.

KnittinMitchie
12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I have my sock pattern picked out but I need to know who my partner is so I can get my yarn ordered and dyed. Yes I am going to dye my yarn depending on my person. I will be using Kool-Aide to dye since it is non-toxic and can be done in the house while the baby naps.

Angelia
12-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Christine, I'm going to try dyeing my own, too! :cheering:

want2knit
12-17-2006, 01:32 AM
woo-hoo---12 more hrs and we might have our partner's info! No pressure or anything, Angelia! But I want to start these socks........:teehee:

Liliyarn
12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
*ahem*.....it's the 17th......

:tap:

Lieke
12-17-2006, 04:46 AM
here, it's the 17th for almost 10 hours yet.

:tap: :whistle:

Angelia
12-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm up! I'm up! Sheesh! :roflhard:

I've got everyone, it seems, so I'm off to draw names and start sending PMs!

:happydance:

KnittinMitchie
12-17-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm waiting on my PM. But that's okay cause I'm getting ready to leave for Sea World. hehe so I'll be distracted from this for a while.

KellyK
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
:poke:

KellyK
12-17-2006, 10:59 AM
:poke: :poke:

mintdee
12-17-2006, 11:26 AM
:poke: :poke: :poke:

Vendie
12-17-2006, 11:36 AM
yay! I've got my partner and I'm ready to go. I've got the yarn, just need to pick among my patterns (I had some ideas already).

Thanks Ang for pulling this all together!

KellyK
12-17-2006, 12:01 PM
:woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :cheering:

knitqueen
12-17-2006, 12:19 PM

jrsas
12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah I now have my partner and can order the yarn!

:happydance: :happydance:

Stiney
12-17-2006, 12:42 PM
:muah:

Looks like I have to go to the LYS. DARN! :teehee:

thischicknits
12-17-2006, 12:44 PM
:pout: my inbox is empty :pout:

feminine_earth
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM

Looks like I have to go to the LYS. DARN! :teehee:
Me too! I looked in Joann's for sock yarn, but I guess they don't sell it. :shrug:

This is a great excuse to finally check out my LYS...I've never been! I'm so excited! :happydance:

Angelia
12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
:pout: my inbox is empty :pout:

Everything was done alphabetically--yours should be there now. Everyone's PMs are out.

:passedout:

allegra918
12-17-2006, 01:08 PM
So I got an email from Angelia (YAY! I KNOW WHO MY PARTNER ISSSS!!!) and then I also got something that said I have a PM waiting for me, but there isn't anything new in my inbox :pout: Is there something else I should be getting?

BTW: So maybe i should read all 20-whatever pages, but so we get to choose our own yarn (based on our partner's choices) AND our own pattern? That's fine with me, I just thought that we were all doing the same pattern.

I SO can't think about this KAL right now, must.go.knit.more :ick:

KellyK
12-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I GET TO SHOP AND I CAN HELP MARGARET SHOP!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Rorshach
12-17-2006, 01:13 PM
W00t! Willow and I just got our partners, though one was a shock to get, a pleasant one I might add. But we'll probably get our stuff after new years.

cheesiesmom
12-17-2006, 01:14 PM
allegra wrote:

So I got an email from Angelia (YAY! I KNOW WHO MY PARTNER ISSSS!!!) and then I also got something that said I have a PM waiting for me, but there isn't anything new in my inbox Pouting Is there something else I should be getting?

Same with me. I have the message from Angelia, but the PM isn't there.

Is that a PM from my partner, KH, or what. Egad, I'm so computer-ignorant sometimes. :wall: I have to read the rules again.

Friskums
12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I made a button, if anyone wants to use it.
I made the text to match my blog colors, but if you guys have other blog colors you'd like, I can certainly modify it.

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/khsockswapani.gif

jberry16
12-17-2006, 01:24 PM
love the button Friskums!
I just got back form Church and am so excited that my pertener likes the same colors I do and her foot is 1/2" shorter than mine.
Way to go Angelia on getting this out so quick!
Now to take a nap, my sis came to my house at 10:30 last night b/c she needed a hug, and then we talked for a while and I had to get up at 530 to get ready for Church and get the kids ready for Church-I'm sleepy.
Thanks again, can't wait to start...

Angelia
12-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I thought my PM outbox was wonky, so a few of you received email messages rather than PMs. I deleted those PMs, which is why you don't have them. (It's a long story ending in "Angelia's an idiot.") The content was the same in the PM, so no worries.

And yes, you get to pick yarns AND patterns! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :woot:

Feel free to contact your partners, too, if you want to taunt, tempt, or have questions. Just try to stay anonymous.

If you want me to serve as mediary, I'm happy to do that, too.

Now I'm off to finish these :!!!: clogs so that I can start socks! :woohoo:

sara_jayne
12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

This means a trip to the LYS even though I'm on a yarn diet!!!!!!!!!!!! :shifty:

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

KellyK
12-17-2006, 01:43 PM
CAYOOT, Friskums!! :cheering:

cheesiesmom
12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Angelia wrote: [/quote]I thought my PM outbox was wonky, so a few of you received email messages rather than PMs. I deleted those PMs, which is why you don't have them. (It's a long story ending in "Angelia's an idiot.") The content was the same in the PM, so no worries.

Excuse me, but you've managed to put all this together with few gliches. I don't think you rate an idiot badge. :cheering:

cheesiesmom
12-17-2006, 01:51 PM
OMG!! Now, that message is idiot-worthy! :wall:

allegra918
12-17-2006, 02:11 PM
YAY!!! All is clear now!!!! :cheering:

allegra918
12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey how do you get the button into your profile??? I tried, but I think I'm being an idiot..... :shrug:

mintdee
12-17-2006, 02:32 PM
My partner is easy :teehee:
I am thinking fair isle hearts and rainbows all over :teehee:

:cheering: :cheering: Angelia! :hug: :hug:

AmandaC
12-17-2006, 03:17 PM
hmmm .... I got a tricky one but I've found some yarn and am just waiting for some shipping rates before I can purchase it.

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

AmandaC
12-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey how do you get the button into your profile??? I tried, but I think I'm being an idiot..... :shrug:

copy the properties of the button ... thrn put that between and in your profile :thumbsup:

cara
12-17-2006, 03:26 PM
so my question is do me and my partner have each other or do i have someone and then someone else has me etc?

I'm really excited!! I am going to do my best though it will be my first pair of socks!!!!!

:pray:

Stiney
12-17-2006, 03:37 PM
I gots my sock yarn! :twisted:

thischicknits
12-17-2006, 04:02 PM
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

THANKS, ANG!!!
Can't wait to shop, KK!!

*KnitPixie*
12-17-2006, 04:12 PM
so my question is do me and my partner have each other or do i have someone and then someone else has me etc?

These were my thoughts exactly?? I never did anything like this so forgive me if it sounds stupid :shrug:

Liliyarn
12-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't believe we are knitting for each other. For example My secret partner doesn't have my foot to knit for...some else does. So it's covert op. You only know who you are knitting for, but have no idea who is knitting for you.

So many sock yarn choices.....dunno what to choose..... :hair:

*KnitPixie*
12-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks lilyarn for clearing that up for me :hug: I was like well then whats the big secret :roll: haha now I feel better hearing that

Liliyarn
12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Okay, I took a plunge....chose a sock yarn I haven't tried yet. I just ordered it!!! :cheering:

Oooo, got some good ideas....gotta get started after Mom's scarf. Hope I can pull everything off.

*KnitPixie*
12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
What is sock reinforcing yarn? I mean I can take a guess but how would you use it? Would you combine it with the yarn you are using on the heel and toes? Has anyone ever used it before?

Andrea
12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
OMG!! Now, that message is idiot-worthy! :wall:

:hug: It made me giggle though! :teehee:

Ang, you are so awesome, you know that? :flirt:

Angelia
12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
:aww:

Liliyarn
12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
What is sock reinforcing yarn? I mean I can take a guess but how would you use it? Would you combine it with the yarn you are using on the heel and toes? Has anyone ever used it before?

Actually never used it before. I usually just knit the heel and toes on smaller needles. But I'd imagine that you would hold both sock and thread as one when you get to the heel and toe. Knit the two strands as one then weave in ends of the thread.

Speak up if I'm wrong here....

KellyK
12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I got my pal some AWESOMMMMMMMME PREEEEEETY YARN!!!!

Do ya want a TEEEAAASSSSERRRRR??? :twisted:

mintdee
12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
:wall: That almost looks creepy. Blurry yarn :shock:

I have sock ideas for my swap pal but no yarn until after Christmas.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 12:51 AM
:zombie:

It is hip-mo-tizin' yarn, Kelly! (And I like that about it! :teehee:)

Friskums
12-18-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm gonna use koolaid to do some self striping stuff I think.

Ordered the koolaid (how lame is it that none of the grocery stores around me have the color(s) I want :roll: ) and I'll be ordering the yarn as soon as we get back from our christmas vacation.

I'm so excited! Ang, you DO rock! :happydance: :muah: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 02:09 AM
YES SHE DO ROCK!!!

Re: my teaser, I Monet-ed it all out!! 8-)

Lieke
12-18-2006, 03:25 AM
I ordered my yarn :cheering: . Only have to wait till I get a reaction with the right shipping costs and I can pay them. And then, I'll have to wait about a week and will get my yarn :cheering: :happydance:

Now I have to find a pattern.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Yay, Lieke!! I hope the shipping isn't too much and you can get your yarn with no worries! :happydance:

I like your Monet-ing ( :?? ), Kelly! :teehee: Perhaps we should all Monet! :zombie:

Friskums, I can't believe you have to order Kool-Aid. That's just wrong! :pout: Just make sure you order enough; more is better unless you're going for muted colors. (You can always drink the extra! :inlove:)

Andrea
12-18-2006, 10:31 AM
How do you Monet????????????? :zombie:

It's preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty!!! :cheering: I need to go shopping for my wonderful pal!! :cheering:

mwedzi
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Just came back from my ski trip. Not much skiing, though. Anyway, found my partner's info in my mailbox. :happydance: I'm gonna knit some sooocks, I'm gonna knit some soooocks. Ooh, partner, bet you wonder what I'm gonna knit. Is the suspense killing you? Will your socks be from any of the yarns below? Or something completely different. You have to wait two months to find out. Two whole months! mwahahaha! i just realized i have to wait 2 months to get my socks, too. :(

AmandaC
12-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I've bought my yarn :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :balloons: now i just have to panic incase my swap pal doesn't like the colour!!!! :oo:

Andrea
12-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Don't worry, Manders, you know how much I love purple! :hug:

AmandaC
12-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Don't worry, Manders, you know how much I love purple! :hug:

Are you psychic :shock:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 11:12 AM
As do I...:teehee:

Yeah, Kelly, how does one Monet? :zombie:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
How do you Monet????????????? :zombie:

Its a "special effect" with my printer's photo program... HP Image Zone. :shrug:

Will your socks be from any of the yarns below? Or something completely different. You
:inlove: I vote for the TOP one with all the reds in it!! :inlove: THANKS, Nikki!! :hug:

AmandaC
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I liked that one too - or the blue one to the right of it .... :heart:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Or the blue and green one right below the reds... :inlove:

WOW, Nik! You've given me SUCH a LOVELY SELECTION!! :muah:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I like the one with the reds in it, too...:inlove:

I'll bet I could Monet with Photoshop...:thinking:

Stiney
12-18-2006, 11:40 AM
As do I...:teehee:

Yeah, Kelly, how does one Monet? :zombie:

A "monet" is also someone who looks hot from far away, but not up close. My friend went to a Martha taping, and said Martha's a Monet. :teehee:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 11:44 AM

One can also Monet after drinking a few too many. (AKA 'beer goggles' :teehee:)

KellyK
12-18-2006, 11:52 AM
:roflhard: OMG that's SO mean!!! :roflhard:

Here are some of the other things I could have done to my teaser!

:twisted:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 12:42 PM

And now I have absolutely NO clue what color yarn you're using! :roflhard:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 12:44 PM

And now I have absolutely NO clue what color yarn you're using! :roflhard:

:roflhard: :cheering: :woot: :teehee: :twisted: :roflhard: :cheering: :woot: :teehee: :twisted: :roflhard: :cheering: :woot: :teehee: :twisted: :roflhard: :cheering: :woot: :teehee: :twisted:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 12:48 PM
You are so snikky! :twisted:

Stiney
12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Snikky sekrit yarns. OH NOES!!!1

Andrea
12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
verray snikky!!! :zombie:

Shandeh
12-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I've decided to use my new book Knitting Vintage Socks for making a pair for my partner. The patterns are SO gorgeous! :inlove:

Soon, I'll take a trip to my cousin's yarn store to pick out the PERFECT yarn for my sweet Sock Pal! :heart:

Angelia, thank you SO much for handling the swap! :muah:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I em verrray snikkky!! :eyebrow: 8-)

Angelia
12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
You're welcome, Sandy (and all who've thanked me!)! :muah:

Kelly has snikky powers of the most dangerous kind...beware! :oo:

I don't like any of the sock yarn I have...:--- So I must buy more so that I can find the *perfect* yarn for my partner. :shifty:

CateKnits
12-18-2006, 02:49 PM
If you don't like any of the yarn you have, you could pack it all up and send it to me. :cheering:

KellyK
12-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Now, let's share nice, Cate!! :tap:

jolenel
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Yay for getting sock swap partner info! :cheering: I think I know what pattern I'm going to use, but now to figure out the yarn...time for lots of sock yarn browsing... :oo:

jolenel
12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
P.S. Thanks soooo much for organizing this, Angelia! This is exciting.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 04:24 PM
You're welcome! :heart:

And it IS exciting!! :woot: The buttons are making me all giddy! Thanks again for the button, Friskums!! :muah:

sara_jayne
12-18-2006, 04:33 PM
:happydance: I ordered my sock yarn today! :happydance:

The button is awesome, Friskie! :heart:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 04:41 PM

How on earth did you choose?! So many are so puuuuuuuuuurty!

cheesiesmom
12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I still don't get how to attach the button. Button, button, whose got a button? :shrug:

Angelia
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I still don't get how to attach the button. Button, button, whose got a button? :shrug:

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/khsockswapani.gif

Hit 'quote' and then copy and paste the img tags and info above into your sig.

mwedzi
12-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Or the blue and green one right below the reds... :inlove:

WOW, Nik! You've given me SUCH a LOVELY SELECTION!! :muah:

Oh, Kelly, I'm so glad you appreciate it. I'll give you a list of what the different types of yarns are so you can go buy your own because you're not my partner! :rofl:

Or are you . . . .? mwahahaha! Will Ms. Snikky get out snikked herself?!

Angelia
12-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Shandeh
12-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Mwa....Ha...Ha! :twisted:
Wow....I missed the snikkyness of the yarn swap.
It's good to be back in hiding again.

Liliyarn
12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Here's a pic of the yarn I'll probably use for my sock swapper...