PDA

View Full Version : Sockintine Sock Swap!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

KellyK
12-27-2006, 09:40 AM
aaa-HA! So you admit that your partner's a SHE! THAT narrows it DOWN! :twisted: :hiding:Well, I believe I'm the only guy in the swap, Kelly, and it would be a pointless swap to get myself, wouldn't you think? :shrug:

That's what made my comment so incredibly witty... :shifty:

allegra918
12-27-2006, 11:45 AM
I chose a pattern! :cheering: I chose a pattern!! :cheering:

Now I just have to find the "perfect yarn"....I wonder if that's in my sock yarn stash? :teehee:

allegra918
12-27-2006, 11:52 AM
OOOOOh!!! I think I just found the PERFECT yarn too!!!!!
not in my stash though, shucks! :teehee:

Andrea
12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

mintdee
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I think that i am making the pattern choice harder than it needs to be. :doh:
So Many Decisions :teehee:

btw you people are a riot :hug: :roflhard:

Rorshach
12-27-2006, 01:35 PM
That's what made my comment so incredibly witty... :shifty:
So, we can then change your title to the Witty knitter? :angelgrin: Hehe, at this rate, you'll have as many titles as Joel does.

mintdee
12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
hehehe Kelly Louise witty knitter popsicle pants.

:teehee:

Stiney
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Kelly's a nitwit all right.

:rofl:

thischicknits
12-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Maybe "Captain Kelly Louise witty-knitter stinky popsicle pants?"

Say that 5 times fast! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

And Allegra! Poor you! Having to buy more yarn is so awful. :---

So, um, of all the sock yarn I have, I'm not sure that any of it is going to work for my pal's socks. Not that I have a pattern in mind, of course. :shifty:

Carol_OH
12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
hey Angelia - I thought I signed up for this though I haven't gotten an pms or emails..

:shock:

I don't have you listed! Did you get a "gotcha" reply back from me?!

Nope - no worries - I'll sit out politely!! :)

allegra918
12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Carol OH, you live in Oberlin???! I went to school there and L :heart: VED it!!! I haven't been back since 1997 (one year after I graduated). This year is my reunion, but I can't go :verysad:
I stupidly wasn't into knitting when I was there, but where do you get your er...crack, er.... I mean YARN?!?!?

Today I was organizing my stash, going through and finding lots to sell (check out my blog in a couple days) and I actually found the perfect yarn in my stash!! It looks pretty much just like the one I would've bought for my Sockentine Pal!!!! :cheering:

KnittinMitchie
12-27-2006, 05:29 PM
I am STILL debating on yarn for my socks, but have a pattern. I think I am goingto use http://www.knitpicks.com/Cart/CartProductShow.asp?from=0&item=23587
I hope it looks better than what it does in the picture.

Stiney
12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
:??

If you don't like it, why are you gonna pay for it? There're tons of free patterns out there! :hug:

Carol_OH
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Carol OH, you live in Oberlin???! I went to school there and L :heart: VED it!!! I haven't been back since 1997 (one year after I graduated). This year is my reunion, but I can't go :verysad:
I stupidly wasn't into knitting when I was there, but where do you get your er...crack, er.... I mean YARN?!?!?

Well hello fellow Obie! I'm not an Obie, but I work at the college - oh too bad you cannot come to reunion in May - we could scout out crack errr I mean yarn together! Actually Smith's right on the square carries some nice yarns!! :muah:

KellyK
12-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I hope it looks better than what it does in the picture.

The Rumba color is VERY orange. If you havent pd already, I would advise you against it. It wasnt my favorite yarn to feel, either. :shrug:

jcmom
12-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Just curious........what weight yarn are most of you going to use for your socks? :waving:

jberry16
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Just curious........what weight yarn are most of you going to use for your socks? :waving:
fingering-I swatched last night and with size 2 I get 8spi and with size 1 I get 9spi-what do y'all think would make a better sock, I'm using regina bamboo yarn
:shrug:

Stiney
12-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm using -weight yarn.

jberry16
12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm using -weight yarn.
-weight? don't think that's gonna help. (of course you're allowed if your buddy specified something specific and would be able to guess you if you said-sneeeeeeeky)

Liliyarn
12-27-2006, 10:11 PM
fingering weight. Probably on size 2 needles.

five_six
12-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Fingering weight here - haven't swatched yet, maybe i should start :teehee:

Liliyarn
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I haven't swatched yet either. I probably won't start knitting until the first of the year. Still working on another project.

five_six
12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Liliyarn wrote:

I haven't swatched yet either. I probably won't start knitting until the first of the year. Still working on another project.

:roll: whatever...

i'm still working on about 6 projects, but i've started swatching... done 2 inches :yay:

Stiney
12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm using -weight yarn.
-weight? don't think that's gonna help. (of course you're allowed if your buddy specified something specific and would be able to guess you if you said-sneeeeeeeky)

I was being a stinker on purpose.

Leah22b
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
fingering-I swatched last night and with size 2 I get 8spi and with size 1 I get 9spi-what do y'all think would make a better sock, I'm using regina bamboo yarn

Oh yummmmy Bamboo... I like Bamboo... :muah: Thank you.... :teehee: I have no idea which would be better. They both sound good to me. I'm useing size 1 as thats the needles I bought for the project... :?? I hope those will work or I'll have to order more needles... :doh: I've picked out the yarn and I have 2 patterns I'm looking at... I have 2 Christmas yet to finish, then I can start them and they will be my only have to do project. My other is a hat for me... Yummy... I'll probably have that done before New Years...lol

Happy New Year!

Lieke
12-28-2006, 11:39 AM
no yarn today :pout: *goes back to fight with her dog for the place under the mailbox*

mwedzi
12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Kelly, I love your avatar. S/he looks like s/he's smiling.

I just ordered my sock yarn for my partner yesterday. No luck finding it in this neighborhood. I think I'm going to design my own fair isle pattern for this pair, since I haven't found a pattern I like yet. This should be fun.

KellyK
12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
:teehee: That's Mr. Happy Goat. :mrgreen:

Liliyarn
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Am I the only one who uses the actual sock as a swatch? I just pick a needle size and go. It's worked for me this far. So.....I skip the official swatch. As long as I like the sock as knitted I keep going. If not then I frog and start over.

Leah22b
12-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Am I the only one who uses the actual sock as a swatch? I just pick a needle size and go. It's worked for me this far. So.....I skip the official swatch. As long as I like the sock as knitted I keep going. If not then I frog and start over.

Fewwwww :oops: I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have yet to do a swatch for anything I've done. I've always just done the pattern or made up my own. So fare so good. Hopefully it will work this time as well.

five_six
12-29-2006, 12:37 AM
I never normally swatch, just go and make adjustments on the fly... however, i have swatched for this project, i'm not following a pattern, just want to make sure that all my measurements are good to go first, don't really want to have to bungle it at the end or frog it given the limited time :shrug:

Lieke
12-29-2006, 07:15 AM
:cheering: my yarn arrived. :cheering: together with some chocolate (they must know every knitter is the same) and a little present (a hot water bottle for in your pocket, so your hands stay warm)

AmandaC
12-29-2006, 08:13 AM
My yarn arrived today .... I will have to practice with it because it is a yarn that I have not used or even seen before !!!! :twisted:

Angelia
12-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Yay, yarn arrivals!!! Lieke, where on earth did you order that yarn? I'd love to get prizes like that! :inlove:

I never swatch socks, though I should given the number of restarts I have because they're either too big or too small. :pout:

Leah22b
12-29-2006, 10:23 AM
:cheering: my yarn arrived. :cheering: together with some chocolate (they must know every knitter is the same) and a little present (a hot water bottle for in your pocket, so your hands stay warm)

Yeah... new yarn...

Wow what cool presents.... I never get anything like that when I order... :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:

Leah22b
12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
My yarn arrived today .... I will have to practice with it because it is a yarn that I have not used or even seen before !!!! :twisted:

Oh how snicky snicky snicky... :teehee:

Now I'm really curious to see what you got me...lol

Lieke
12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Yay, yarn arrivals!!! Lieke, where on earth did you order that yarn? I'd love to get prizes like that! :inlove:

I never swatch socks, though I should given the number of restarts I have because they're either too big or too small. :pout:

in germany. on www.mariannes-opalwolle.de

They've got really great yarn, but you have to know a bit german to understand their web-site, since it's totally in german.

About swatching. I never swatch anything decently, although I should, because I have to frog it once or twice most of the times. But well, I just really hate swatching, want to start knitting right away (althoug it WOULD be faster to swatch first, but that's just the way my weird brain works)

Lieke
12-29-2006, 10:34 AM

Yeah... new yarn...

Wow what cool presents.... I never get anything like that when I order... :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:

I wasn't suspecting presents either. I assume it's because of christmas. Although the people who run the online store are really nice. They answer all you mail right away (even on christmas day) and are really friendly and trying to make theirselfs understandable when you don't speak german (like me, I can only read it and although I mentioned that, they reply me in english)

jcmom
12-29-2006, 10:36 AM
You sock knitters sound like a dedicated bunch. I had asked about yarn weight because after checking out the sites for patterns, I didn't see too many using sport weight, dk, etc. Someone said it took her what I thought was a short amt. of time to make one sock using fingering and it surprised me. Since I've never used it, I have no idea how long it'll take. This will be a learning experience.

mwedzi
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I always swatch, even for socks. It's knitting, too, so I like it, and it never takes me more 15 minutes or so. Since I've lately been making my own patterns or modifying existing ones for size, it's helpful.

jess_hawk
12-29-2006, 03:45 PM

They've got really great yarn, but you have to know a bit german to understand their web-site, since it's totally in german.

I know just enough German that I can figure out the majority of this site, but would you mind please telling me what Evilla is? The description was somewhat over my head.

I'm not in the sock swap but I figured this is as good a place as any to ask this question: What is the difference between sock yarn and any other yarn of the same weight?

Angelia
12-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Sock yarn is usually superwash, though not always, and the variegated colorways are often done to work well for sock-knitting (like self-striping, jacquard, that kind of thing). You can knit anything with sock yarn, of course!

Jenelle
12-29-2006, 05:40 PM
I decided on my yarn, and I'm still thinking of a pattern.

I think the next swap should be a hat swap. :teehee:

KellyK
12-29-2006, 05:57 PM
:pout: But I dont wear hats.... :verysad:

Because my mom told me I look horrible in them... even when I was a baby.

Stiney
12-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Your momma's a LIAR.

Maybe it could be a swap for anything that can be worn on the head? That could include headbands, headscarves, cowls (though that's probably a bit more of a commitment than a hat), those sleep-eye things.

Jenelle
12-29-2006, 06:27 PM

I bet you'd look adorable in one! It all depends on the type of hat, the fit, and the colors you use. You can get creative with them!

jberry16
12-29-2006, 06:58 PM
I've got my yarn, cast on, finished the 2x2 rib, and have all but 1" done for the cuff (ankle) in the pattern I chose. The yarn I'm using is so soft and looks a little like a cuddly down jacket for your feet. :teehee: who's feet am I knitting for????? Purty sockies, I'd love to keep them and I keep fondling the yarn and my dh keeps reminding me that these are swap socks and I have to mail them when they're done (shucks).

Andrea
12-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I had to frog my sock after a couple inches necause it's not perfect...and my swap partner is so pwetty that I need it to be perfect :flirt:

five_six
12-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Gee, thanks for the consideration Andrea :oops:

Shandeh
12-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, I DID buy sock yarn for my partner, but I haven't started knitting yet. I just can't get started, because now I'm having doubts about the yarn.
http://ammetaka.no/forum/images/smiles/gaah.gifWILL IT NEVER END?!?!?!?!?!

Lieke
12-30-2006, 12:40 AM

I know just enough German that I can figure out the majority of this site, but would you mind please telling me what Evilla is? The description was somewhat over my head.

Evilla looks like ecological yarn to me. What I understand about what they are writing is that it only uses natural thing, no chemicals.

Liliyarn
12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, I DID buy sock yarn for my partner, but I haven't started knitting yet. I just can't get started, because now I'm having doubts about the yarn.
http://ammetaka.no/forum/images/smiles/gaah.gifWILL IT NEVER END?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I've got some great yarn. I love it. However, I've seen two more yarns that I'm absolutely drooling over.

I've finished my Mom's boring hooded scarf, almost. Weave in ends, seam, and trim face opening. After that I'm moving forward with the sock yarn I currently have.

Vendie
12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
I *think* I've got it all figured out - the yarn and the pattern. I've got the cuff of the first one done and am ready to start the stitch pattern. Here's hoping that I FEEL the socks. I wasn't loving the last one I started.

Shandeh
12-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I did finally find the right pattern. FINALLY!!!! FINALLY!!!!
Now, I just have to pin down the yarn for sure.
Why is this so difficult for me? Usually, I'm pretty confident and just plug along. I think it's just that I want my partner to be BLOWN AWAY by their socks. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself? :?

Angelia
12-30-2006, 03:06 PM
I hope you "feel" the socks, too, Vendie! :hug:

I know what you mean, Sandy, about the "wow!" factor. Don't let it get to you!

Hsiaokuo62
12-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I just realized this blog was here, after signing up ages ago - so I read 40 posts...have to save the rest for later!!!

I ordered 2 kinds of sock yarn before I got my partner's info... and when I got it realized that one set is not machine washable so not to her specs....although it is SO pretty!

Then I decided to experiment with some very Valentine-colored sock yarn I had in my stash..... in making a modified pattern with a design of hearts in it...so am playing with it right now to see if it comes out pretty or WHAT.

Plan B is to use the second batch I ordered that IS machine washable....its not AS valentine-colored :heart: but would be my first experiment with knitting toes/heels in a contrasting color, and also using reinforcing yarn (which was included).

This is very fun!

Liliyarn
12-30-2006, 11:41 PM
I am finishing up my mom's scarf. Just six more rows to go.

So, I started my socks at a knit meet tonight.
Cast on and knit about an inch of cuff and thought they were too big.
Cast on fewer stitches and only got a few rows done, so we'll see. I'm not sure the pattern I picked out will work with the colors. They're a bit too dark. So, I think I'll be changing the pattern....

allegra918
12-31-2006, 01:58 AM
I have only swatched once, for a shrug. Definitely not for socks. I'm like KellyK, I choose needles (I wrap the yarn around the needle to see if it looks good) and go!

Liliyarn
12-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Okay, here's the dirty details of yarn choice.
Fleece Artist 100% superwash merino in a vivid blue green hand painted colorway....

Soooooo......who wants to be my swap buddy? These could be for you!...well unless you post that you don't like them. Then I have to go back to the drawing board.

More pics later when I have day light.

Shandeh
12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
ME ME ME ME!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

five_six
12-31-2006, 04:41 AM
mmmmm - i wish you were my swap buddy Lili - very purrty :heart:

Didn't know we could do that to tease.... maybe i'll post - oh i can't... i gave away too much to my swapee :!!!: (drags herself off to sulk)

Lieke
12-31-2006, 04:56 AM
ow, I love the colors. unfortunately, i'm not your pal, because i didn't want animal fibers :verysad:

Angelia
12-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh wow, Lily, that yarn is beautiful!! :inlove:

Leah22b
12-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Fleece Artist 100% superwash merino in a vivid blue green hand painted colorway....

Soooooo......who wants to be my swap buddy? These could be for you!...well unless you post that you don't like them. Then I have to go back to the drawing board.

Oh yummy yummy.... Thats sooooooo Purdy :heart:

:verysad: I'm pretty sure its not for me though.... :verysad:

:teehee: I know I'll just love what my partner has picked out though...Woohoo :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

KellyK
12-31-2006, 10:54 AM
:inlove: :thud:

Vendie
12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
That is gorgeous! I'd be MORE than HAPPY to have socks from that yarn :inlove:

jberry16
12-31-2006, 11:53 AM
those are my two fav. colors, blue and green-thanks for finding such a purty yarn for me.

here's a tease for my pal---

knitqueen
12-31-2006, 12:02 PM
jberry those look awesome!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I don't have a yarn picked out or a definite pattern yet for my pal. Going shopping on the 3rd - I can't WAIT!!!

KellyK
12-31-2006, 12:17 PM
NICE!!! :cheering:

allegra918
12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Wow! Lili's yarn is AMAZING. Can you imagine that yarn in Cooki's Pomatomus???!? Really in ANY pattern. Gorgeous!

And jberry, wow! what yarn is that? I like the stitch as well!

Liliyarn
12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice socks Jberry!

It's overcast today, so no good sunlight for another pic.

I had wanted these socks to have more blue, but it seams they are a tad more green. Her colors are so awesome, especially the blues.

Okay, gotta go shopping then come back and nail down a pattern. Cooki's Pomatomus may be a bit too much for me right now. Although, I do love it. I'm spinning for a handspun swap so my time is divided between sock and spinning...

Happy new year everyone!!

mintdee
12-31-2006, 01:12 PM
K so I finally got my pals yarn. Can't start knitting yet as I have to finish one more scarf but soon! Here is a teaser for my pal!

Jenelle
12-31-2006, 01:59 PM
A lot of blue and green yarns. :inlove:

Hsiaokuo62
12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
JBerry what is that pattern? Or if that is too secret, what is the st sequence to make those bumps? I love 'em!

allegra918
12-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok, here's a teaser for my pal.I am sad that the colors didn't come out better in the pic :pout: . They're basically burgundy, purple and brown.

KellyK
12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I just love you all SO MUCH!!! :hug: :heart: :hug: :heart: :hug:

Jenelle
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
JBerry what is that pattern? Or if that is too secret, what is the st sequence to make those bumps? I love 'em!

Looks like basket weave to me. :shrug:

feminine_earth
12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
I finally bought sock yarn for my partner! :happydance:

Andrea
12-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Ohhhhhh everyone's schtuff looks so purty!!! :inlove:

Vendie
12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh Allegra! You picked out the perfect yarn for me! :teehee: My favorite colours!

JLC
12-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, I WOULD post a teaser pic for my pal, but the :!!!: yarn isn't here yet! I ordered 3 different colorways...one for me, one for birthday socks for my mom, and one for my pal. I won't know who will get what until I actually see them and they speak to me. So I'll post a teaser pic once I get the yarn...

Hsiaokuo62
12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I need some help! Here is the deal. I have started a sock for my pal using a 12 st repeat and a chart that makes a particular SHAPE (done in k's and p's) that shows itself over 12 rows. I'm finding that it produces a very subtle shape that 3 out of 4 of my family members cannot identify (the graphic artist type can).

Here is my dilemma - should I rip this out and start over using the same chart but 2 colors of yarn, fair isle? I HAVE NEVER MADE ANYTHING FAIR ISLE! :shock how hard will this be??

Other alternative is duplicate stitch which I have also never done. If I do that I would not do all of 'em, just maybe a few.

Because this is sock yarn and the sts are tiny duplicate might be too hard, what do you think? Of course there is always plan C, D....Q... :teehee: I have lots of yarn and lots of options - maybe too many!!

Rorshach
12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, the Fair Isle idea is pretty good, and it's not as hard as you think, just gotta remember to bring the CC yarn underneath the current stitch so that it twists the stitches together. But on the other hand, ripping out isn't necessarily something you have to do, either. Considering that you can see the shape, it's very possible that your pal will also be able to see the shape. just my 2 cents anyway.

Hsiaokuo62
12-31-2006, 09:56 PM
I just watched Amy's video on fair isle and she says not to use it for more than 5 st at a time - my design has up to 11 at a time. i just read (where??) something about how to deal with this.... anyone know?

Shandeh
12-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Ingrid knows! And I bet Jan does too. And probably a few other geniuses in here. :wink:

jrsas
12-31-2006, 10:08 PM
My yarn is here and I am now looking for a pattern for my partner. Can't wait to get started.
:happydance:

jberry16
12-31-2006, 11:44 PM
And jberry, wow! what yarn is that? I like the stitch as well!
Regina Bamboo--soooooooooo nice, I had to pick up some more so I can make some socks for myself, go pet some, it's so soft.

Hsiaokuo62
12-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Regina or Regia?

jberry16
12-31-2006, 11:47 PM
the pattern is out of Sensation Knitted Socks, woven stitch
rnds 1 and 2 *k2p2, rep from*
rnds 3,4 knit
rnds 5, 6 *p2k2, rep from*
rnds 7-8 knit
rep. rnds 1-8
this is for the 4 stitch patterns found on page 38 of the book

jberry16
12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Regina or Regia?
oops, sorry' regia bamboo color partie 1066 18415 (there's two numbers not sure which is for the color, maybe both.

Leah22b
12-31-2006, 11:50 PM
those are my two fav. colors, blue and green-thanks for finding such a purty yarn for me.

here's a tease for my pal---

That is soooooooooo pretty!

Happy New Year everyone! :clink: :passedout:

Leah22b
12-31-2006, 11:53 PM
K so I finally got my pals yarn. Can't start knitting yet as I have to finish one more scarf but soon! Here is a teaser for my pal!

Oh how snicky snicky... :teehee:

Hummmmmm :?? I wonder what color....

Happy New Year :clink:

Leah22b
12-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Ok, here's a teaser for my pal.I am sad that the colors didn't come out better in the pic :pout: . They're basically burgundy, purple and brown.

Oh thats purdy! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Hsiaokuo62
01-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Cool! I just saw Regia Bamboo on the net and wondered if it was soft, now Iknow it is I may have to buy some!

AmandaC
01-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Ok here you go ... here's my yarn and the cuff so far ....

Lieke
01-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I started my socks. :happydance:

still want to do a yarn-teaser, but I don't feel like going downstairs to pick up my camera, so you all have to wait a bit longer

kniftyknitter12
01-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I just watched Amy's video on fair isle and she says not to use it for more than 5 st at a time - my design has up to 11 at a time. i just read (where??) something about how to deal with this.... anyone know?

I think the video that www.philosopherswool.com has will help you. :D

jberry16
01-01-2007, 11:46 AM
That's purty, what kind is that?

horve1
01-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Lookee. lookee! I've been busy!!!

Angelia
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
:inlove: Preeeeeeeety!!!

I think I know that pattern...:teehee:

AmandaC
01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
That's purty, what kind is that?

I couldn't possibly tell you until my recipient receives them :teehee: :shrug: :twisted:

KellyK
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
That IS cool, Manda! I dont think Ive ever seen sock yarn with TEXTURE like that!

want2knit
01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
the pattern is out of Sensation Knitted Socks, woven stitch
rnds 1 and 2 *k2p2, rep from*
rnds 3,4 knit
rnds 5, 6 *p2k2, rep from*
rnds 7-8 knit
rep. rnds 1-8
this is for the 4 stitch patterns found on page 38 of the book

Looks great, jberry! Also love the socks you're wearing in your blog you recently knit. I almost did the above stitch pattern for my swap buddy too but decided on a different one. Nice tease! Loving the look of that bamboo.

want2knit
01-01-2007, 02:42 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: Ooh, Sandra, that is just wrong!!!

want2knit
01-01-2007, 02:56 PM

I love colors of the sea!

Vendie
01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Here's my teaser....

Shandeh
01-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Lovely socks! Amanda, yours look so COMFY!!!

Yarngineer
01-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Those are pretty!

I also love Lili's blues and green.

Has anyone else knitted the Monkey pattern yet? With the Lisa Souza yarn, I had some laddering, so I had to frog back to the cuff. I don't think the yarn is elastic enough to have me pull it tight enough at the intersection of the needles to not get laddering, because the stitches at the joints of the needles are purl stitches.

Anyone else have this problem or have ideas? Or can suggest a good pattern to use with the Lisa Souza yarn?

Vendie
01-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm using Lisa Souza for my Monkeys, and I got a little laddering on the cuff - but honestly, it disappears when you stretch it out, so I'm not worried. The laddering went away once I got into the pattern stitch.

allegra918
01-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Wendie, your Monkey looks FABULOUS!!!!!! I love the yarn! and isn't the pattern fantastic!??! :cheering:

Vendie
01-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks Allegra! I do love the pattern, I particularly love how I'm zipping right through them. I might actually have these done on time! *knocks on wood*

Angelia
01-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Oooh, Monkey looks great, Ven!! I'm using Violet's Pink Ribbon for Monkey. If I ever get my yarn, that is. Stoopid back-up on December orders. :pout:

allegra918
01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Oooh, Monkey looks great, Ven!! I'm using Violet's Pink Ribbon for Monkey. If I ever get my yarn, that is. Stoopid back-up on December orders. :pout:

yeah no kidding. :pout: i think the violet's ribbon will look great as Monkey socks.

*KnitPixie*
01-01-2007, 08:08 PM
My secret sock knitter is taunting me :teehee: She said she bought me beautiful handpainted yarn I am so excited now lol :woot:

Angelia
01-01-2007, 09:33 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

mwedzi
01-01-2007, 10:47 PM
i think i've made a pairing. :eyebrow: can we do a little kh gambling ring for who we think is who's partner? illegal ilschmeigal.

five_six
01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
hmmm... now i wanna know what your thinking!! I hope this gets the go ahead. Maybe we can get extra points at the end for guessing right!! :teehee:

Liliyarn
01-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh now that sounds interesting!!! It would be fun to see who guesses who. I say give it a try!

I can't play as I have insider info on my partner. But it would be fun to see who thinks I'm their partner.

Go ahead guess :twisted:

Angelia
01-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Guess away. I'm not saying anything about anything--right, wrong, near, far, whatever ;)

Let the detective work begin! :teehee:

jberry16
01-02-2007, 12:03 AM
my only guess so far is Hsiaokuo62

Lieke
01-02-2007, 03:39 AM
I actually don't have a clue. I know some people are knitting with animal fibers, so they are not my partner, but there remain to many people who can be my partner. I guess I'd better use my time for knitting the socks :thinking:

I've also got a little teaser

five_six
01-02-2007, 04:36 AM
ohhh Leike - very nice, just in case i'm yours... i really like the verigated (i think its) pink, white and black and the plain pink!! Thanks a bunch :hug:

Edit: I'm a new page, i'm a new page... yah, who cares right!! Big deal!!

Angelia
01-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Oooh, all of that yarn is gorgeous, Lieke!! :inlove: How will you choose?

Yarngineer
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Those are pretty Lieke.

I will start again on my Monkeys today. Took a break to start a cardigan. Ladders just frustrate me, as I don't often get them.

Hsiaokuo62
01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
MUAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm not telling!

Liliyarn
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I may be changing my yarn. The pattern doesn't show very well with the vivid blue/green....I'll grab the other blue green and see how that looks.

KellyK
01-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Lily... Ive found that with darker colorways, a STRONG k/p pattern works best. Take a look at Knitty's RPM socks. Something where the Ps really stand out from the Ks. See what I mean?

Liliyarn
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I do dig that pattern.

We'll see. It's the price to pay for such vivid socks....

Tonight is my deadline to decide.

Andrea
01-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Hmmm, I got mine last week :shrug:

:twisted:

Angelia
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM

:nails:

LS emailed today--my yarn ships tomorrow!!!! :happydance: So there, Miss Snotty Igotmyyarnandyoudidn'tpants! :-x

KellyK
01-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Angelia
01-02-2007, 08:00 PM

OMG, look at the pattern I just found on my LYS's website!!! I think I finally have THE pattern for my swap pal! (Or maybe just for me...:shifty:)

Link (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7680) to pattern

jberry16
01-02-2007, 08:02 PM

LS emailed today--my yarn ships tomorrow!!!! :happydance: So there, Miss Snotty Igotmyyarnandyoudidn'tpants! :-x

Miss Snotty Igotmyyarnandyoudidn'tpants! :roflhard:
we haven't even been able to get our mail or trash pick up since just after Christmas...darn snow

Angelia
01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow, that's a long time to wait for mail, especially if it contains yarny goodness! :pout:

allegra918
01-02-2007, 09:42 PM

OMG, look at the pattern I just found on my LYS's website!!! I think I finally have THE pattern for my swap pal! (Or maybe just for me...:shifty:)

Link (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7680) to pattern

That pattern looks like the Snicket Socks that I think you can find at Magknits.com
I switched my Lisa Souza order from Sock! Merino to something finer so that I could get it sooner. Or something like that.

Totally unrelated: we FINALLY got all the packages we were waiting for from before Christmas!!!!!!! OMG my dad did SOOOOOOOO well :cheering:
let's just say: Handmaiden Sea Silk yarn, PINK Denises and a yarn dyeing kit from Hello Yarn! (will post pics on my blog and thread later...)
:thud:

mintdee
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
:noway: :thud: Can we swap Dads?

I think that I have chosen my pattern and I have my yarn. All that I have to do is finish this :!!!: scarf so that I can get started.

KnittyKitty
01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Yoohoo! Socky-pally-wally! :waving: Lookee here what I have for you! :teehee: I've also got a reeeeeeally nice pattern that would go with it too! I hope you like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sockyarn-1.jpg

Lisa

Vendie
01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
:thud:

oh you shouldn't have! :teehee:

KellyK
01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Sorry, Sandy... Im already in line to be adopted by Allegra's Dad. Well, Im too old to be his dtr... but, he could adopt a sister. Or a niece. Or hire me as an admin asst. :shrug:

mintdee
01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
see! You can be his adopted sister and I will be his adopted daughter. Everyone wins! :teehee:

Oh my goodness Knitty! I love that yarn you are so sweet to knit socks out of that for me! :hug:

Jenelle
01-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Partner, if you are out there, I beg you that you tease me! :pout: :teehee:

allegra918
01-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Psst... if you want to see my yarn-y goodness from MY father (KellyK is in line first.....), check out my thread and my blog for a detailed post.......

five_six
01-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Oh... KnittyKitty - i adore it!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, for making such a good yarn choice for me :hug:

KnittyKitty
01-03-2007, 01:11 AM
:teehee: :teehee: teasing you guys is fun!

mwedzi
01-03-2007, 01:56 AM
alright, this is the last time. if it doesn't post this time:

Angelia, I love that sock pattern. And KnittyKitty, I adore that yarn. It's sooooo pretty. And Allegra, what a nice haul from daddy! And Jenelle, maybe your partner *has* already teased you, right here on this forum. I don't know, just saying.

Nah, I won't let loose on who I think goes with who. I'm just saying, somebody said something, then somebody said something else, and the yarn teaser pic triggered a bell and I did a search and sure enough, that was the yarn and, and, and . . .

Of course, I could be wrong. I think I've been watching too many Agatha
Christie and film noir movies. I bet *I'm* the one being played for a chump.

Liliyarn
01-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Partner, if you are out there, I beg you that you tease me! :pout: :teehee:

How do you know you haven't already been teased :twisted:

Lieke
01-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Angelia, I love that pattern (and the yarn as well)

Knittykitty, that yarn is absolutely great. How sweet of you to get me that nice colors.

SandraEllen
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I haven't been paying a ton of attention to the yarns being posted, but KnittyKitty, that yarn is B E A U T I F U L ! ! ! !

Angelia
01-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh my, Lisa, that yarn is stunning!!! And isn't it too hot in Barbados to knit with that? So shouldn't you send it to me? :shifty:

KellyK
01-03-2007, 10:18 AM
(KellyK is in line first.....)
:cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot: :cheering: :happydance: :woohoo: :P :woot:

mintdee
01-03-2007, 12:36 PM
:?? I think that KK is happy about something. :??

jberry16
01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
:?? I think that KK is happy about something. :??

so it seems

knitqueen
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
I bought my yarn today!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
jberry those look awesome!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I don't have a yarn picked out or a definite pattern yet for my pal. Going shopping on the 3rd - I can't WAIT!!!

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: Woohoo its the 3rd... Shopping... I love shopping... :woohoo: I hope you have or had fun!

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:14 PM

That is awesome!

Great job so fare...

Oh my poor pal :verysad: ...I'm afraid I'll mess up :oops: so I haven't started yet... but I will if not this weekend then Monday at stitch night..... Oh boy oh boy...Biteing nails furiously...

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Lookee. lookee! I've been busy!!!

Wow you have been busy...

That is sooooooooo purdy!

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's my teaser....

Oh boy.... Bites nails some more...

That is Awesome!

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I actually don't have a clue. I know some people are knitting with animal fibers, so they are not my partner, but there remain to many people who can be my partner. I guess I'd better use my time for knitting the socks :thinking:

I've also got a little teaser

Ohhhhh.. how pretty... I like them all... :teehee:

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Teehee :teehee: I have an idea who my partner might be, but I'm not going to say so they won't know if I know its them, or not... :teehee:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

I love it that is just awesome.... it shows the colors and the pattern so well. Oh wow!

Leah22b
01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Yoohoo! Socky-pally-wally! :waving: Lookee here what I have for you! :teehee: I've also got a reeeeeeally nice pattern that would go with it too! I hope you like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sockyarn-1.jpg

Lisa

That is soooooooooo purdy... I can't wait to see how it knits up! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

SandraEllen
01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Here it is! This is the yarn I bought today!

KnittyKitty
01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
:teehee: I'm glad you guys are liking the yarn! Makes me hopeful that my partner will enjoy it too! The pattern I was using wasn't working with the yarn so I frogged it... so I'm looking again!

Nan101
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I have tried to post a pic for my partner but I'm just not computer savy and can't figure it out. :wall:

However, I can tease a little by saying that I don't post very often but my partner does. From the replies to other posts I can tell what they like and what they don't like :teehee:

But I did order my yarn from www.yarn4socks.com so you can browse there and see what beautiful yarns might be for you :muah:

Rorshach
01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Well the pattern for my partner, whoever she is, is gonna be designed by me, should be interesting how it goes.

knitqueen
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: YARN!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

I hope my buddy loves it as much as I do!! :muah:

jhelanee
01-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I think all the yarns posted so far have been gorgeous! :drool: I wonder if one of them is for me ..... :thinking:

I finally picked out the yarn for my partner and am working getting the perfect pattern. I haven't found one I like yet, so I may end up designing something myself.

Angelia
01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Just when I think I've found the perfect pattern, I find another perfect pattern. :pout: (And yes, it would help if I stopped looking! :roflhard: )

Yay for you designers!! :happydance: :happydance: Sometimes not finding what you want is a blessing in disguise!

KQ, that sock yarn is beautiful!! :inlove:

KellyK
01-04-2007, 01:15 AM
KQ.. I didnt even know Lana Grossa MADE sock yarn! That's GORGEOUS! :cheering:

mwedzi
01-04-2007, 01:58 AM
I am so filled with yarn lust right now, I don't even know what to do. There aren't even any smileys for this. I would go into more detail, but I'm trying to keep it clean in here for the kiddies. Plus, don't want to steam up the room and make everyone's yarn soggy.

KellyK
01-04-2007, 02:54 AM

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Just when I think I've found the perfect pattern, I find another perfect pattern. :pout: (And yes, it would help if I stopped looking! :roflhard: )

I know exactly what you mean! LOL!!! SO many patterns so little time.... I've started on another pattern that I hope goes well with the yarn... variegated yarn can be so tricky!

Angelia
01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Variegated yarn is verrray tricky! I see lovely socks knit with it in some patterns, but then I try to use it in those same patterns and it looks like crap. :pout:

earthchick
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Mmmm, I'm loving all the yarn pics, esp. that lovely Claudia handpainted, KnittyKitty. There are going to be some very happy sockpals around here come February.

I've chosen my pattern (Fancy Silk Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks) but not my yarn. I'm planning on using a Lorna's Laces nearly solid, but I can't make up my mind about which one. So many beautiful choices....

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Ah! Earthchick! Was it the partial label or my Claudia Schiffer pic that let you know it was Claudia handpainted yarn? :teehee:

earthchick
01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
:teehee: It was the partial label. I strained to figure it out because I just HAD to know where that gorgeous yarn came from....

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Great sleuthing Earthchick!

Angelia, I'm nervous that it's going to look terrible! Its such a lovely yarn and I"m wondering if to do a simple sock or just try the pattern. I don't want to disappoint my partner! I actually have another yarn coming too in a nearly solid colour... but it may not get here soon enough for me to complete by the deadline, so I'm going to stick to the pattern and see what happens. Wish me luck!

KellyK
01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Claudia Handpaints ARE gawgeous... we carry it at Chix. For those of you who dont visit blogland, here's a pic of our Sock Central. The second shelf from the top and all of the little side shelves contain Claudia...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/sock_central_2.jpg

(Its like MY section... I created it last week!) :happydance:

allegra918
01-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Yummmmmm, so many things to choose from when I come in three weeks!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Here it is! This is the yarn I bought today!

Oh sooooooooo purdy :muah: .... yarn yarn and more yarn :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: ... I love :heart: your colors...

I want one of everything so fare... :teehee:

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 10:30 AM
:woot: :woot: :woot: YARN!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

I hope my buddy loves it as much as I do!! :muah:

Yippy Yippy Yippy :inlove: more Yarn... Oh how purdy!

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
For my sock pal... I have finally Cast on and done about 1/2" of Ribbing last night... It's so purdy... even if I do say so my self....

:roflhard:

allegra918
01-04-2007, 10:40 AM
My pattern came in the mail yesterday! I sure hope it looks good with the yarn I've chosen!!!!!

jberry16
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
such purty yarns. I really want to temp my partner, but she doesn't post very often, are you lurking around??? come out, come out, wherever you are...

jcmom
01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I would rather be surprised and keep a surprise, but I'll tell you this......... :teehee: :teehee: I've been reading your blog.

KellyK
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
:thinking:

Friskums
01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I haven't been taunted at all either. :verysad: (Not that I need to, I guess. I just want to know someone got me... I mean, logically, I realize of course someone did... I'm weird like that though.)

mulene
01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
A friend of my mothers, who used to knit back in the 1940's popped in for a cuppa yesterday. She brought me some old patterns, amongst them was a pattern for various adult and child socks. I'm going to adapt the pattern in one of them for my pal ;)

I HOPE I can manage to do it. Now I just have to find THE yarn and then we are away! =D

PS If you are my partner and you don't see me post much, I am around just stupidly busy. Coupled with the fact Santa gave me flu for Christmas!

mulene
01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
OK a lot to read up on since I last looked around page 27 - can someone tell me, should I have mailed my recipient to let them know I got them? Should I be using the yahoo page?

EEK!

jberry16
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
OK a lot to read up on since I last looked around page 27 - can someone tell me, should I have mailed my recipient to let them know I got them? Should I be using the yahoo page?

EEK!
you can if you want to, I don't think anyone is usinig the yahoo page, just taunting here. I think most are sending pms to our host of this crazy KAL and then she's sending them to our partners, just to keep things secret. But if you want your pall to know who you are then you can e-mail them directly. it's up to you.

mulene
01-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I mailed direct =P Sorry if I should have kept the secret side of things but I decided to mail direct so I could get a circumference measurement!

=D This is going to be fun =D I don't know if anyone has me or are we swapping with the person we are sending to? I thought it was send to one person they send to another person - sorry for so many silly questions!

jberry16
01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
whoever you have doesn't have you, they have someone else. silly questions are ok, I ask plenty of them myself.

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
A friend of my mothers, who used to knit back in the 1940's popped in for a cuppa yesterday. She brought me some old patterns, amongst them was a pattern for various adult and child socks. I'm going to adapt the pattern in one of them for my pal ;)

I HOPE I can manage to do it. Now I just have to find THE yarn and then we are away! =D

PS If you are my partner and you don't see me post much, I am around just stupidly busy. Coupled with the fact Santa gave me flu for Christmas!

Oh no I hope you feel better!

Angelia
01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
:hug: :heart: Mulene! You'd have had a better Christmas had Santa given you coal!

Just how naughty were you? :teehee:

SandraEllen
01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm bummed. I bought my sock yarn from the LYS yesterday so that I would be able to start my socks, but my gague isn't right. :verysad: so now i *need* to buy new needles. I sure hope that KnitPicks gets my needles to me soon.

*ok. so i don't need new needles, i could use my dpns, but i REALLY want to do them on 2 circs.

Yarngineer
01-04-2007, 01:42 PM
okay, I had planned on posting a teaser, as I had finished 3 repeats, but I found a mistake in my monkey and am trying to frog back a few rows... :verysad:
I guess I should drink more coffee before attempting de silly monkey...

ooooh, swapee, are my silly monkeys for you? :teehee:

Jenelle
01-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I started my partners socks! :cheering:

Just got to find out if I can include something in the heel.. :thinking:

feminine_earth
01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I've started the socks for my partner! I'll attach a picture here, but it's not a good one (camera sucks), and the colors are totally different in real life. There's lots more green, and the blue is deeper!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jelti/socksWIP.jpg

Oh, and lemme tell you the horrors I had while winding that ball of yarn. OMG. It got so tangled that I had to cut the mess out twice! My poor yarn. :( I am totally getting a swift. Also, I found two knots in it, poo. Does handpainted yarn normally have lots of knots? It's Colinette yarn...made in Wales. Very soft. :heart:

Oh, and does superwash treated yarn felt? I'm trying to figure out how to join the splits back into the socks because I refuse to knit knots. Stupid tangles and knots. :grrr:

Friskums
01-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Ooooh, I like those colors! :inlove: :inlove: Even if they're not quite right. ;)

I don't think superwash wool yarns felt. I think that's kind of the point of them. But, I may be wrong/thinking of something else. :shrug:

knitqueen
01-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I had an idea of who my partner was, but a recent post by somebody dashed that idea. :shrug:

KQ.. I didnt even know Lana Grossa MADE sock yarn! That's GORGEOUS! :cheering:

Yeah, neither did I, but when I saw it at the store yesterday I couldn't pass it up. It's just gorgeous and the colour variations are so unique. It's a lovely green but with different flecks of different colours - hard to describe but I'm SO excited about it!!

Jenelle
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, neither did I, but when I saw it at the store yesterday I couldn't pass it up. It's just gorgeous and the colour variations are so unique. It's a lovely green but with different flecks of different colours - hard to describe but I'm SO excited about it!!

That yarn is very yummy looking. :drooling:

feminine_earth
01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Ooooh, I like those colors! :inlove: :inlove: Even if they're not quite right. ;)

I don't think superwash wool yarns felt. I think that's kind of the point of them. But, I may be wrong/thinking of something else. :shrug:
So do you think the best way to join them would be a knit-in join then? I've actually only ever done a felted join before. :oops:

Yarngineer
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Ooh, my favorite color is green...I find all the loverly green yarns posted to be pretty.

:heart: :heart:

But I love all other colors too.... (so my swapper does not get discouraged).

Friskums
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM

So do you think the best way to join them would be a knit-in join then? I've actually only ever done a felted join before. :oops:

I usually just hold the two yarns together for a few stitches. I saw something online a bit ago that showed how to weave in your ends as you were knitting. It's very very helpful.

...Now, if I can just remember where I saw that... :??

Edit: Found it! (http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-to-weave-in-ends-while-knitting.html)

feminine_earth
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Thank you, Friskums!! :hug:

Edit: Oh poo, I don't know how to knit English-style. :pout:

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
I've started the socks for my partner! I'll attach a picture here, but it's not a good one (camera sucks), and the colors are totally different in real life. There's lots more green, and the blue is deeper!

Oh, and lemme tell you the horrors I had while winding that ball of yarn. OMG. It got so tangled that I had to cut the mess out twice! My poor yarn. :( I am totally getting a swift. Also, I found two knots in it, poo. Does handpainted yarn normally have lots of knots? It's Colinette yarn...made in Wales. Very soft. :heart:

Oh, and does superwash treated yarn felt? I'm trying to figure out how to join the splits back into the socks because I refuse to knit knots. Stupid tangles and knots. :grrr:

Oh that is sooooooooooo purty... :heart:

Oh no I had that problem hand rolling my lace for Christmas.... I'm with ya on getting a swift... that will be soooooooo nice... I just have to wait a few more weeks just in case I get it as a late Christmas gift. My handpainted didn't have any knots... I'm not sure why yours would... that's very disapointing for you I'm sure.... I know I'd be upset. I've never worked with superwash so I don't know if it will felt or not... sorry.

Good luck its turning out beautiful so fare!

Angelia
01-04-2007, 05:54 PM

English is easy peasy once you get the hang of it! Practice with Amy's video--you'll get it in no time!

mintdee
01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah so I have a blog over on blogger. Had it for well over a year as a matter of fact and never got any comments (so sad for me right?) wrong apparently I am a dope. I had my comments moderated and had no idea that I had done that. NONE! So I have had over 50 comments sitting and waiting on my okay for a while now. :doh: Why do I mention that here? I was feeling all sad cause my pal wasn't taunting me (I lead a sad life people) when all along I was getting taunted! That Pal o' mine was using my blog. :doh: Well its fixed now o pal of mine so taunt away. It won't fall on deaf ears anymore :roflhard:

(as an aside: I was going through all of the lovely comments that I have been getting and noticed that even the yarn harlot commented and I missed it cause I am a huge mongo dork :wall: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: )

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Reading the link from Friskums kind of makes me think the FairIsle idea might work to weave in the ends.

This is the link to the video posted earlier on how to do FairIsle. She knits useing both hands and 2 different yarns. I don't see why step 3 wouldn't work to weave in ends pretty good. Just use one as your ending yarn and on as the new yarn instead of 2 different yarns.

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm

Just an idea I don't know if this would actually work as I've never done fairIsle just watched the video. Has anyone ever tried this?

Good Luck!

Leah22b
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
This is my first time knitting with actual (Handpainted) sock yarn (Specificly labeled for Socks). Is it supposed to be so tiny and lacy or am I doing something wrong? :pout: :shrug:

I'm trying to knit a 1x1 rib on needles size 1 and the gage is way off. The small size would have fit a baby instead of the small size adult foot it said.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Friskums
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM

I'm sure that if you just "catch" the yarn the same way as she shows (making sure the end you're weaving is under/caught by the working yarn) I don't think it makes any difference what way you knit.

Never hurts to try! :thumbsup:

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
:thinking:

Hmmm... what do you guys think about how this is shaping up? Be honest... I've have some reservations because the pattern is not showing up properly and I can't seem to find a nice pattern for this yarn! I think there's a very simple sock that might go with it.

Here's what I have so far...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sockpatt2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sockpatt1-1.jpg

Here's what has been recently shipped to me. I hope to get it soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/hewittli/sockyarn2.jpg

So what do you think? Continue with the pattern as is, frog it and do a plain sock, or wait for the other nearly solid yarn so I can do a really nice pattern?

Thanks!

mwedzi
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
This is my first time knitting with actual (Handpainted) sock yarn (Specificly labeled for Socks). Is it supposed to be so tiny and lacy or am I doing something wrong? :pout: :shrug:

I'm trying to knit a 1x1 rib on needles size 1 and the gage is way off. The small size would have fit a baby instead of the small size adult foot it said.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Try taking it off the needles (if you know how to put stitches back on) and trying it on. If this is your first time knitting a sock with fingering yarn on dpns, it can look deceptively small. Everytime someone sees me working on a sock, esp. if I'm just at the cuff, they think it's no way that's going to fit an adult, but it always does, with room to spare.

Andrea
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

jberry16
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jelti/socksWIP.jpg

I want that yarn, it's soooooooo purdy

Angelia
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Knitty, I can see the pattern on the socks just fine! I think once you knit more of it, the pattern will 'pop'.

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
You can see it really? Kewl!! :happydance: I'll continue on then. Thanks! :muah:

knitqueen
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Knitty, I LOVE what you've done. The pattern is great!

KnittyKitty
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Knitqueen! Now that the kiddies are in bed I'll go get some more done :wink:

Liliyarn
01-05-2007, 01:05 AM

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Bring to the knit meet this Monday. In all honesty, go ahead and do a guage swatch. It will ease your fears. I frogged mine and did a swatch with MB's yarn. I wanted to be sure it was meeting the pattern guage. Spot on after I went up a size needle. So, here's hoping it fits my swap pal.

I'll have my sock this Monday too.

five_six
01-05-2007, 01:13 AM
:waah: i wish i could bring mine to the knit meet on Monday too :waah:

catownedanna
01-05-2007, 03:39 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Alla stickar strumpor!" = "Eveeryone knits socks!"
_____

:waving: Sorry for intruding... :teehee: I'm not in this SWAP but I thought I should let you know that I'm lurking aroud this thread anyways. I was very close to signing up but decided against it, and now I kind of regret it when seeing the beautiful yarns and patterns and socks that you're all using and making!!!

You're all doing a great job!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Knitty I'd keep going what you have started looks really nice and I can see the pattern as well. I agree it should show up more after some more rows. Don't give up... :hug:

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Try taking it off the needles (if you know how to put stitches back on) and trying it on. If this is your first time knitting a sock with fingering yarn on dpns, it can look deceptively small. Everytime someone sees me working on a sock, esp. if I'm just at the cuff, they think it's no way that's going to fit an adult, but it always does, with room to spare.

Thats a good idea I'll try it this afternoon.

Thanks!

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Bring to the knit meet this Monday. In all honesty, go ahead and do a guage swatch. It will ease your fears. I frogged mine and did a swatch with MB's yarn. I wanted to be sure it was meeting the pattern guage. Spot on after I went up a size needle. So, here's hoping it fits my swap pal.

I'll have my sock this Monday too.

I'm def. bringing it Monday along with another pair I need to make but have frogged twice as they keep looking to lacey for a Man... no offence to our one participating Man, but my BF is a really big guy and Lace would look really silly on him... :teehee: I just bought size 2 and 3 needles yesterday so I can play with them to see if that might work better. I'll do the swatch idea too... Hopefully that will help.

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
:waah: i wish i could bring mine to the knit meet on Monday too :waah:

Awww its ok we wish you could be there as well. You can be there in spirit we usually start knitting about 7pm EST and go till 9pm so if you knitt on your time we will be knitting together... :hug: :teehee: we can all knit together around the world... that would be cool... :teehee:

:?? ofcourse it might be the middle of the Night for some..... :ick: :zombie: Oh well... its just an idea... :teehee:

Secksiebrat
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to check the boards or to keep up with this thread, but I wanted to post that I DID get my partner's sock yarn and hope to cast on this weekend.

The past month has been one big blur and I hope to come out of the haze soon :)

I LOVE the yarn I chose for my partner and will probably end up going to get myself some at a later date. I'm almost jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :teehee:

http://www.kyarns.com/colinette-jitterbug-merino-fingering-weight-hand-painted-sock-yarn.html

That is a link to the yarn and to the color :) Jewel- 54 is the color.

~danielle~

five_six
01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Awww its ok we wish you could be there as well. You can be there in spirit we usually start knitting about 7pm EST and go till 9pm so if you knitt on your time we will be knitting together... :hug: :teehee: we can all knit together around the world... that would be cool... :teehee:

:?? ofcourse it might be the middle of the Night for some..... :ick: :zombie: Oh well... its just an idea... :teehee:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Well, if me being on the forum at 3.30am is anything to go by, i'd say i'll prolly be up and knitting... Yay... we'll be knitting together :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to check the boards or to keep up with this thread, but I wanted to post that I DID get my partner's sock yarn and hope to cast on this weekend.

The past month has been one big blur and I hope to come out of the haze soon :)

I LOVE the yarn I chose for my partner and will probably end up going to get myself some at a later date. I'm almost jealous of my partner and she doesn't even know it! :teehee:

http://www.kyarns.com/colinette-jitterbug-merino-fingering-weight-hand-painted-sock-yarn.html

~danielle~

That is soooooooooooo purdy :heart: Yeah :cheering: Yarn Yarn and more Yarn

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Well, if me being on the forum at 3.30am is anything to go by, i'd say i'll prolly be up and knitting... Yay... we'll be knitting together :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

That will be sooooooooo cool :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

SandraEllen
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM

~danielle~

My LYS has that yarn and it's BEAUTIFUL!!! I wanted to get it for my pal, but at $24, it was over my budget. :verysad:

earthchick
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Ooh, Secksiebratk, that is soooo yummy.

I just ordered my yarn from Angelika's (http://www.yarn-store.com/) - Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Blackberry (http://www.yarn-store.com/lornas-laces-yarn-colors.html). I can't wait to get it!

Leah22b
01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Ooh, Secksiebratk, that is soooo yummy.

I just ordered my yarn from Angelika's (http://www.yarn-store.com/) - Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Blackberry (http://www.yarn-store.com/lornas-laces-yarn-colors.html). I can't wait to get it!

That is sooooooooooo purdy :heart: :teehee:

Jenelle
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I just turned the heel for the first sock. I added a little something to the heel too. :teehee:

I might actually rip this out because so far it looks a little big. :pout: :wall:

KellyK
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Instead, Jenelle, you could try doing your gusset decreases every row instead of every other row... that's happened to me, too... the ankle looks HUGE until the gusset dc's are done.

Jenelle
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I started the gusset decreases and it looks better.

I'm just not used to doing socks on this small of needles(size 5). So it's awkward.

I do plan on knitting myself a couple pairs of these socks though! :happydance:

Yarngineer
01-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Both the jewel and blackberry yarns are pretty.

I am starting the heel flap on my first silly monkey. :cheering:

Dilly
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Sock-swap knitting can be a dangerous sport - check out the injury my metal DPN suffered tonight:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/0004_108.jpg

I didn't actually realize it was possible to warp and bend metal needles! :shock:

KnittyKitty
01-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Eek! How did that happen?

Dilly
01-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Eek! How did that happen?

:shrug: I don't know. It just did. I don't think I am a really tight knitter so I just think it happened on it's own. I've used these needles once before, and they were fine, so it's a recent knitty-injury.

jberry16
01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
secksiebrat and earthchick those are really purdy yarns :drool:
I am ready to turn the heel of sock #1-should I continue the basketweve pattern all the way downt ot the toes or keep in only in the cuff? Please give me your opinions b/c I've never done a pattern before and not sure how it would feel in a shoe.

jberry16
01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
secksiebrat and earthchick those are really purdy yarns :drool:
I am ready to turn the heel of sock #1-should I continue the basketweve pattern all the way downt ot the toes or keep in only in the cuff? Please give me your opinions b/c I've never done a pattern before and not sure how it would feel in a shoe.

knitqueen
01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
My opinion is that knitted socks look best if the pattern is carried down the foot as well, but like I said that's just my opinion - maybe others will feel differently.

Friskums
01-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I like the look best when they are carried down the foot as well. But, I've never worn handmade socks before, so I don't know how it feels.

Helpful, huh? :teehee:

mintdee
01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I like the look of them when carried down the top of the foot as well.
I am loving these purdy yarns!

BTW: Secret Pal? I ADORE chocolate :cheering: getting notes at my blog is fun :hug:

Angelia
01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Patterns down the instep feel just fine in a shoe--I've never experienced any discomfort with mine. I'd never put a pattern on the bottom, though! :shock:

jberry16
01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Patterns down the instep feel just fine in a shoe--I've never experienced any discomfort with mine. I'd never put a pattern on the bottom, though! :shock:
I wouldn't do it on the bottom. Thanks for all the imput guys/gals.

Note to my pal: I would :heart: some comments or notes in my blog, shoot I'd like comments from anyone-nice to know someone looks at it.

jberry16
01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
o and just for those wondering, I took knitting to the hospital today while I was waiting for my fil to get out of double bypass surgery and only knitted a little bit, I spent lots of time playing cards and visiting-not to mention praying. And he came out fine and we got to see him after, looked good to me. Isn't medicine grand-amazing what all they can do these days. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers from y'all.

Angelia
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh that's wonderful news! :cheering: Modern medicine is amazing!